Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting curious

I had been considering giving EQ2 a try, but I read some discussion on the original and got curious. I last played some time after Kunark/before Velious. I just wanted to ask a few quick questions.

First, I hear that 1-40 leveling is vastly faster, and the inclusion of mercenaries greatly helps out too. After 40, is leveling the same speed as back in the Original/Kunark days?

Second, is it still just as tough getting drops and spawns? I last remember a time when you had to camp something for hours and kill it a dozen times to get what you wanted.

Third, I hear that racial differences are mostly irrelevant at higher levels (and Iksar can even wear plate), but that races still have some innate abilities. What do humans have, and are they still drastically night-blind?

I appreciate any input. I'm not sure if I'm actually going to try it again just yet, but I am interested.

Comments

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

There are no more hell levels, and racial penalties are gone.  So you level fairly fast these days from 1-65, slow down a bit up to 80, and the real slow down is the last 5 levels 80-85.  With access to mercenaries, better gear that boost your stats greatly (defiant armor), leveling is not an issue anymore.

Along with leveling exp being fairly quick, they also made the first 1000 AA's fairly quick to get.  It's to help you catch up pretty much.

Spawns hard to get, that depends on what you are camping for I suppose.  I have not camped for anything that I wanted and didn't end up getting it.  Everything I've camped for, the named I need, etc.. I got.  Didn't take days or 12 hours like the old days.  I know doing the old epic 1.0 quest, they haven't changed some of the old aspects of things, so there's some waiting involved.  But for epic 1.5 and 2.0 there really isn't much of a wait.  I guess they've evolved and changed the way they design the gameplay over the years.  You can see it from expansion to expansion the differences.

Here's a good site to read to see some of the changes:  almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO