Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Martin Luther King Was Republican

2»

Comments

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Cleffy

You completely misread what I wrote.  The data shows a large majority of African American voters are Democrats and vote purely on party lines.  Thats partisanship voting like I said.  Yet somehow you misread it to mean black people vote for other black people.  However, I guess it makes sense since you completely misread peoples comments all the time.
      I think its positive to show a different view of what it means to be a black voter aside from a Democrat Candidate can depend on their support.  Having an image definetly brings to light how little people have followed Martin Luther King Jr's ideals, yet spout how he would support them.

I think the billboard made a point. Alot of african american voters vote based on partisanship instead of values.

A COMPLETE misread? False.

You have shown nothing to show they vote along partisanship rather than values. What data?

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by popinjay
    Clearly the Republicans are playing a race card with the MLK billboard, not even mentioning an issue, platform or idea other than "If MLK was a Republican, shouldn't you be too?" That's clear race baiting and if Steele was White, this point would be even more obvious than it is now.

Steele saying he'll bring "fried chicken" is playing on an old Black stereotype that only Black people LOVVVVVVE fried chicken.

Do you have such an issue with use of different races for targeting different products or services? MLB uses black players to target areas with high black populations. NBA uses Yao to target Chinese. Why is it bad that a political party is trying to identify with potential constituents? 

You state he is playing to a stereotype by saying he will bring the fried chicken. Are you positive? Or, once again, are you just looking at an innocent statement and turning it into a racist issue? You think that may be his choice of picnic food? I'm white - I love fried chicken and potato salad.

• OzarumonOzarumon Member Posts: 107

I wasnt too happy with michael steeles comment either, he is a walking talking jim crowe and thats what black people fear they will become. Im sorry if im black and I say I want to bring in more black voters then some one yells out to me they will bring colla greens, I sure wont say to them well ill bring fried chicken and potatoe salad.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I think the billboard made a point. Alot of african american voters vote based on partisanship instead of values.

A COMPLETE misread? False.

You have shown nothing to show they vote along partisanship rather than values. What data?

The misread was obvious, you alluded that black people vote for other black people simply on race.  Yet my comment made no such accusation, it said that many black voters vote based on partisanship.  They vote democrat even if the democrat is someone who thinks they will get the vote simply by putting a D next to their name while they ride around in a Limo saying how the man is putting them down.  I don't think I need to show anything, it should be obvious, I even gave an example.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

I can't wait for the midterm elections. They ought to be pretty interesting, all things considered.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

Originally posted by Dekron

Do you have such an issue with use of different races for targeting different products or services? MLB uses black players to target areas with high black populations. NBA uses Yao to target Chinese. Why is it bad that a political party is trying to identify with potential constituents? 
    You state he is playing to a stereotype by saying he will bring the fried chicken. Are you positive? Or, once again, are you just looking at an innocent statement and turning it into a racist issue? You think that may be his choice of picnic food? I'm white - I love fried chicken and potato salad.

MLB doesn't gain power to effect the lives of millions of Americans if they gain a few more Black Americans through advertising.

The NBA is trying to open markets to sell a product (basketball) in an emerging part of the world, and they aren't saying "Chairman Mao likes basketball, you should too." Yao Ming is an athlete, not a statesman. It would be a disgrace for the NBA to try to position Mao as a NBA fan, and that's why they don't.

If you have to have it explained why its bad for a political party to use race baiting to attract voters through enticements like fried chicken and hero worship, then I'm not sure why we are still having this conversation.

FYI- A Black person can't be called "racist" for trying to entice other Blacks with "fried chicken". He can be called something else that seems quite appropriate that Black Americans have been using to describe him, Clarence Thomas and Alan Keyes though. If you don't know what that is, I suggest you scour some more Black American websites... you soon see the name pretty quickly and it'll give you an idea of why over 90% of Black Americans loathe Republicans, lol.

The misread was obvious, you alluded that black people vote for other black people simply on race.  Yet my comment made no such accusation, it said that many black voters vote based on partisanship.  They vote democrat even if the democrat is someone who thinks they will get the vote simply by putting a D next to their name while they ride around in a Limo saying how the man is putting them down.  I don't think I need to show anything, it should be obvious, I even gave an example

Who says that? Who is "it"? Identify your reputable source that claims Blacks vote solely on partisanship and that's why they don't like Republicans, because when you do it this way, it only looks like YOU are saying it... no one else.

So now they are stupid enough not to see the "con" and that's why you think they vote AGAINST Republicans at an over 90% clip?

Boy, you really should stop while you're ahead. Black people walk into a voting booth and automatically pull "D" because they are trained to do it? Such a sad view of a people who have contributed so much to this nation through sweat, tears and blood.

Pat Buchanan would be extremely well pleased with your "analysis" of the Black vote.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

It comes as no surprise that MLK was a Republican.  Most southern blacks were Republicans at the time King was doing his work, because most practitioners of Jim Crow were Democrats.  The biggest barrier to civil rights in the south was the Democratic party under such personalities as Strom Thurmond (who was a Democrat at one time) and George Wallice.  So therefore, it's no surprise that MLK was a Republican, but I imagine if he lived to see the Nixon Administration, he'd be a Democrat.

Lyndon Johnson was the first southern Democrat to actually do something about civil rights, which is when blacks in the south started voting Democratic.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if MLK didn't refer to himself as a Democrat after seeing what Johnson did for civil rights.

But frankly, Steele is stretching things quite a bit when he puts up a billboard saying, "MLK was a Republican."  The only reason King was a Republican is because the southern Democrats were the segragationists at the time.  That's like saying, "Thomas Jefferson was a Democrat."  If you look at the history, Jefferson's party eventually became the Democratic Party we know today.  But the issues were much different then than they are now, and just because Jefferson was a Democrat back then doesn't say much as to what he'd be now.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

If you have to have it explained why its bad for a political party to use race baiting to attract voters through enticements like fried chicken and hero worship, then I'm not sure why we are still having this conversation.

I'll then close with this comment. You have an ill-conceived ideal of race baiting. Simply attempting to identify with an individual is not race baiting - such individuals like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who continue take comments out of context are race baiters.You are the type of individual that keeps racism alive - you see it in everything, even when it is not there.

So, if he offered steak and a baked potato instead of fried chicken, would he be making a racist comment towards whites? I mean come on, all of us whites love steak and potatoes. It's mother's milk to us.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

The worst part about all of this with additional proof?

Look at what Micheal Steele said yesterday about Black American voters and what he'll do to "get their vote":

-----------------------------------------

Someone asks Steele what is his plan about getting more diverse populations into the Republican party moving forward and he says:

"My plan is to say.. "Ya'll come. (people laugh) Cause a lot of you are already here."

Then someone off camera says "I'll bring the collard greens." Then people start cracking up, to which Steele responds...

"There ya' go!" (then laughs), then Steele says: "I got the fried chicken and potato salad!"

Forget issues being important. The Republican party apparently just want to lure Black Americans with MLK billboards and fried chicken picnics to get their votes.

Steel is an idiot. In the south, don't matter what color you are, everybody eats collard greens, fried chicken and potato salad. Today, I don't think MLK would pick neither. Actually there is an episode of Boondocks that pretty much sums up if he was actually alive to this day.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X 
    Steel is an idiot. In the south, don't matter what color you are, everybody eats collard greens, fried chicken and potato salad. Today, I don't think MLK would pick neither. Actually there is an episode of Boondocks that pretty much sums up if he was actually alive to this day.

I'm in complete agreement. He is an idiot, but I don't believe he was trying to be racist.

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X 

I'm in complete agreement. He is an idiot, but I don't believe he was trying to be racist.

Nah, I don't think he's trying to be racist neither, but it seems like he don't have a smart move to actually get a black vote.

|

I'll then close with this comment. You have an ill-conceived ideal of race baiting. Simply attempting to identify with an individual is not race baiting - such individuals like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who continue take comments out of context are race baiters.You are the type of individual that keeps racism alive - you see it in everything, even when it is not there.
    So, if he offered steak and a baked potato instead of fried chicken, would he be making a racist comment towards whites? I mean come on, all of us whites love steak and potatoes. It's mother's milk to us.

Duh. LOTS of people love fried chicken. Which is all the more suprising that Steele said that. He's an educated man, but everytime he has to talk TO or ABOUT Black people, it's always in ebonics. WTF? Why does he always resort to that as if Black people always talk that way or he feels in order to appeal to their mindset, he's gonna get them some fried chicken? Black people like hamburgers, kielbasa, hotdogs, turkey, fish... lots of meats. But Steele goes right for the fried chicken to push a stereotype. It's clear in the video.

In response to someone saying about Black people joining the Republican party at a press conference with "I'll bring the collard greens", the typical response would NOT have been "There ya go. I'll bring the fried chicken" unless you're some type of panderer or errand boy.

How you can't see that is unreal. And your superficial attitude saying all White people love steak is completely elementary. All white people DON'T love steak or potatoes. Nor do they love mayonaise. Nor do they love hollandaise sauce. Nor do they all love pizza or whatever silly thing you think of next.

I know plenty of White people who don't eat meat at all, just like plenty of Black people.

You "don't think" a Black man was being a "racist" against Black people? Did you REALLY have to type that, lol?

How positively insightful.

You "don't think" a Black man was being a "racist" against Black people? Did you REALLY have to type that, lol?

You would be suprised actually.

|

People can show racism towards their own race. It's called self-hatred. I can tell you of a very good example, and no, I am not making any comparison to any individual, so Godwin's law need not apply.

Hitler was a Jew. He was racist towards Jews.

Simply because one is of the same race, does not inherently imply they are not racist towards their own people.

How you can't see that is unreal. And your superficial attitude saying all White people love steak is completely elementary. All white people DON'T love steak or potatoes. Nor do they love mayonaise. Nor do they love hollandaise sauce. Nor do they all love pizza or whatever silly thing you think of next.

How you couldn't see I being completely sarcastic is unreal.

You have your mind set and, of course, will not change. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

People can show racism towards their own race. It's called self-hatred.

Simply because one is of the same race, does not inherently imply they are not racist towards their own people.

Now that we are off track officially with Hitler, please show me where this is proven. Because I've seen this around the internet a heck of a lot, but never backed by credible proof. I know he had Jewish teachers and his mother had a Jewish doctor, who he blamed for her death.

But I have yet to see this at all so I don't think this is relavent.

Self hatred is NOT racism, LOL! That's.. say it again.. self HATRED. The person hates themself, NOT their race. You cannot be "racist" against your own race.

Someone hates themselves, so they kill other men but don't kill women. They don't HATE the men, that's a manifestation of the self hate; their own personality. They don't hate men or mankind. Sometimes a white man marries a black woman not out of love, but because deep down he hates his parents and knows it drives them nuts. He doesn't love her but just trying to exorcise some demon that actually has nothing to do with the woman.

That's not racism.

Self hatred is NOT racism, LOL! That's.. say it again.. self HATRED. The person hates themself, NOT their race. You cannot be "racist" against your own race.

Try the person who hates themself because of their own race. It's racist self-hatred. I don't know, maybe it's because what I've seen.

Please, explain how a person cannot be racist towards their own race. If they are racially intolerant and make racist comments to their own race, they are, by definition alone, racist.

If I were to say "I hate those drunk ass Green N***er (actual racist Irish reference) Irish. Let's beat down those carrot tops!"

Would you say I was being racist towards the Irish? If so, what if I told you I am Irish?

• SlytheSlythe Member UncommonPosts: 952
    People can show racism towards their own race. It's called self-hatred. I can tell you of a very good example, and no, I am not making any comparison to any individual, so Godwin's law need not apply.

Self-hatred is not racism towards your own race. You can't be racist towards your own race. The wording itself makes it impossible - racism is not liking someone because they are a different race than you, regardless of the person's character.

And Hitler was not a Jew.

Try the person who hates themself because of their own race. It's racist self-hatred. I don't know, maybe it's because what I've seen.
    Please, explain how a person cannot be racist towards their own race. If they are racially intolerant and make racist comments to their own race, they are, by definition alone, racist.
    If I were to say "I hate those drunk ass Green N***er (actual racist Irish reference) Irish. Let's beat down those carrot tops!"
    Would you say I was being racist towards the Irish? If so, what if I told you I am Irish?

Firstly, you saying you "hate" them doesn't really mean you hate them. You can say "I love the New York Yankees". That doesn't mean you really LOVE the Yankees it means they are your favorite team perhaps. Or your second favorite. It means you like some things about them. It doesnt mean you are ready to marry them.

Your comment above doesn't mean you really hate them BECAUSE they are Irish. You just hate things about them perhaps. You may hate that because they are drunk, they are feeding into a stereotype that other groups who actually ARE racist use against YOU unfairly. So you want to beat them up for pushing a stereotype that in a way harms you and your people. You hate their "drunk ass" ACTIONS... not the race. That is not discrimination in that case and its not even self-hatred. You are actually showing PRIDE in your race that you want to stop them from pushing that image, don't you see that?

Some Black people have a saying they use that goes "N***** Please!" That doesn't mean they are begging someone nor are they saying it as a racial slur from one Black person to another because they hate Black people. But the way you frame your arguments, you are saying it does.

It's clearly obvious Steele is not a racist towards Black people. It's impossible for him to be. He's just pandering to them on behalf of the Republican party and while that's despicable, it's not racist.