Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guild Wars under-rated??

Comments

• susanto1228susanto1228 Member Posts: 203

Guild Wars is underrated.  But, it is not boring.  If you have just started playing GW I envy you.  I've been playing it since it started and even though you can only reach level 20 there is many many things you can do.   Create a 55 monk and rule GW.  Venture into Underworld and Tomb of Primeval Kings with a band of barrage rangers and watch the arrows fly.  Run people with your deverish or Warrior across continents for cash.   Enter into  Fissure oF Woe in search of treasures. Really I can go on and on, it's just endless and this isn't even Factions which is Awesome.  Seriously if some of you haven't tried GW you are missing out.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Yeah it's a great experience.. not particularly a lasting experience (especially if you play it a lot like I did.) But it's so fun I totally feel as though I got my money's worth and in the end that's what really matters.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Joiry

Originally posted by Rasputin

Also, about the CS vs GW analogy...something I'm surprised no one has mentioned.  CS "zones" - game servers, are setup by individuals, like with most team FPS games.

What hardware the game is running is not relevant. You could easily make a real MMO that utilizes the client machines (though cheats would probably prevent you from doing this).

As for the rest of your post: Im not against GW as such, and I agree that it has some borderline elements to it, but IMO it is not enough to qualify it. The game is simply too fragmented and in-persistent to be called an MMO IMO.

Certain hardware specifics don't matter (which specific cpu, memory, etc, etc), but the fact GW is run off a large server infrastructure which is all interconnected is a substantial difference from lots of personal servers which are merely connected by a phonebook-like listing service from the central server.  I'm willing to bet the server code for GW is far more complex than that for online FPS match games server.

I'm curious what constitutes too fragmented and in-persistent for you.  The persistence of most games is fairly static, nothing ever happens except mobs respawn.  Certain games you can say have a continuing, on going dynamic state of the world.  Port control and PvP zone creation in PotBS, or the shifting of the high level zone control in WAR to push to the enemy captial.  Or, in the dearly departed Shadowbane, the fact player cities could be built and destroyed.  A lot of games called MMOs may be "persistent", but its a very static persistence and might as well be an instance anyway (in that whatever mobs are killed will respawn shortly anyway).

But, like anything, YMMV.

The servers being physically interconnected is irrelevant, logically they are completely seperate entities which has no bearing on each other. That is one of the big reasons for me not seeing it as an MMORPG.

I dont know how long you have been around but pioneers of MMORPGs had one persistant world per server and that is that constituted an MMORPG. The fact that you played in one persistant world and could potentially bump into anyone on that server. Instances are totally the opposite of that as it creates its own private world inside the world and thus destroys the whole world immersion, which for me is fundamental for MMORPGS.

The fact that most MMORPGs has fairly static worlds is another thing, one that can be improved, but giving up and going into an instanced world does not help the immersion.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

GW is not a true MMO, but it is awesome in its own way, especially if you like PvP.

Can't wait for GW2, which will be a true MOO indeed, having all the awsomeness of GW1 as well.

Oh, and it won't even have a monthly fee. As soon as beta starts, chances are that i won't touch another MMO for years...

Hype train -> Reality

• JoiryJoiry Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Yamota

The servers being physically interconnected is irrelevant, logically they are completely seperate entities which has no bearing on each other. That is one of the big reasons for me not seeing it as an MMORPG.
    I dont know how long you have been around but pioneers of MMORPGs had one persistant world per server and that is that constituted an MMORPG. The fact that you played in one persistant world and could potentially bump into anyone on that server. Instances are totally the opposite of that as it creates its own private world inside the world and thus destroys the whole world immersion, which for me is fundamental for MMORPGS.
    The fact that most MMORPGs has fairly static worlds is another thing, one that can be improved, but giving up and going into an instanced world does not help the immersion.

You can potentially bump into anyone in GW.  Every mission or explorable area (well, except for a few EAs) are connected to a town/outpost.  Everyone has to pass through these to get to the adventure area.  Only the major hub towns (there's 4) regularly have multiple districts.  A few of the none hub ones do, usually major farm adjacent ones.  And, except for holiday events, districts are not usually full, so you can freely travel between them.  I run into people all the time.  Sure I don't run into everyoen, but who does in every mmo?

Its true, its a lot easier to be a recluse in GW than other games.  Form a guild, stock the guildhall with all the services you need (merchants, various traders, etc), and you can map travel between outposts quickly and jump into missions/EAs as fast as you can...but then there's plently of people in other MMOs who just speed thru towns/common gathering areas and never interact either.

I suppose for many people, the quintessential MMO(RPG) experience is going out to location X, to do some activity (farm, quest, resource gather) and running into someone else out there (or they run into you), and either chat, group up, otherwise cooperate, maybe fight (depending on the game), etc.  That doesn't happen in GW, and if that turns you off, fine.  GW just has a different social dynamic.  However, that doesn't make it not an MMO, at least not in my opinion.  In every other aspect, it shares pretty much every trait common to other generally recognized MMOs.

Rasputin, YMMV = your mileage may vary, basically, different people come to different conclusions looking at the same stuff.  No doubt I'm dating myself with old lingo ;)

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Originally posted by Yamota

You can potentially bump into anyone in GW.  Every mission or explorable area (well, except for a few EAs) are connected to a town/outpost.  Everyone has to pass through these to get to the adventure area.  Only the major hub towns (there's 4) regularly have multiple districts.  A few of the none hub ones do, usually major farm adjacent ones.  And, except for holiday events, districts are not usually full, so you can freely travel between them.  I run into people all the time.  Sure I don't run into everyoen, but who does in every mmo?

Its true, its a lot easier to be a recluse in GW than other games.  Form a guild, stock the guildhall with all the services you need (merchants, various traders, etc), and you can map travel between outposts quickly and jump into missions/EAs as fast as you can...but then there's plently of people in other MMOs who just speed thru towns/common gathering areas and never interact either.

I suppose for many people, the quintessential MMO(RPG) experience is going out to location X, to do some activity (farm, quest, resource gather) and running into someone else out there (or they run into you), and either chat, group up, otherwise cooperate, maybe fight (depending on the game), etc.  That doesn't happen in GW, and if that turns you off, fine.  GW just has a different social dynamic.  However, that doesn't make it not an MMO, at least not in my opinion.  In every other aspect, it shares pretty much every trait common to other generally recognized MMOs.

Rasputin, YMMV = your mileage may vary, basically, different people come to different conclusions looking at the same stuff.  No doubt I'm dating myself with old lingo ;)

I think thats the major issue some people have. They have a their mind-set as to the way a MMORPG should play and feel like. Its sad really because GWs is probly the best online experience I've had to date, and that includes all the major MMOs on the market. GWs has seriously had alot of work and effort put into it...and for those who are turned off simply because they dont get the "MMORPG emmersion" you would in other "real" MMORPGs is sad. From what I've seen so far GWs and is more thought out and deep then any other online I've ever played.....Too bad it took me this long to finally give it a shot otherwise I wouldnt have wasted all my money, time and energy on the past MMOs I've played.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

Originally posted by susanto1228

Guild Wars is underrated.  But, it is not boring.  If you have just started playing GW I envy you.  I've been playing it since it started and even though you can only reach level 20 there is many many things you can do.   Create a 55 monk and rule GW.  Venture into Underworld and Tomb of Primeval Kings with a band of barrage rangers and watch the arrows fly.  Run people with your deverish or Warrior across continents for cash.   Enter into  Fissure oF Woe in search of treasures. Really I can go on and on, it's just endless and this isn't even Factions which is Awesome.  Seriously if some of you haven't tried GW you are missing out.

My thoughts as well. I've just started playing it (trilogy + expansion) and its honestly one of, if not the best MMOs I've played since starting with EQ1. And its below WAR and LOTRO on this gamelist? NCSOFT deserves more praise then that? GWs makes WAR look like childsplay.....LOL

• ZSlayaZSlaya Member Posts: 30

no, its over-rated. it limits you to using the abilities on your combat bar, is entirely instanced, you are glued to the ground, and you can play through it in 1-2 months.

• ZSlayaZSlaya Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Ethian

My thoughts as well. I've just started playing it (trilogy + expansion) and its honestly one of, if not the best MMOs I've played since starting with EQ1. And its below WAR and LOTRO on this gamelist? NCSOFT deserves more praise then that? GWs makes WAR look like childsplay.....LOL

give it a little while. you will figure out why it isn't on top when you run out of things to do in a couple months and realize that you have wasted your time with GW

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

I downloaded the trial and soon realized that the combat system is extremely bad, but the biggest turnoff for me was the inability to jump.  Jumping the best part in any game, If I can't jump, I won't play.

So I actually think this game is over-rated.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

So you only played about 5 minutes? I guess that's enough time to judge any game right? Oh well, there are other games out there for you.

Originally posted by ZSlaya

Originally posted by Ethian

give it a little while. you will figure out why it isn't on top when you run out of things to do in a couple months and realize that you have wasted your time with GW

GWs has more depth in both Pve and PvP then any other MMO I've played....and its free! Its not possible to waste your time playing GWs. The more I play the more the thought put into this game amazes me. You can mix and match classes from a total of how many classes is there? 10-12? That makes for a hell of alot of replayability for anyone if ask me.

GWs is under-rated simply because most dont consider it a "real" MMORPG and overlook it. IMO the thought and depth put into this game makes most other MMOs look bad....unless of course you cant overlook the instancing and lack of a persistant world. I say bring on the instancing!! I've not experienced lag since playing GWs and I'm loving it. :-)

Originally posted by Brif

I downloaded the trial and soon realized that the combat system is extremely bad, but the biggest turnoff for me was the inability to jump.  Jumping the best part in any game, If I can't jump, I won't play.

No jumping? Thank god...no more kids hoping around like their tweaking off pepsi to ruin the immersion of an MMO. No jumping does nothing but increase the ingame emmersion for myself. When is it ever usefull in an MMO anyway? Unless your pvping, hoping around like a goof ball...AoC *cough*

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

First two episodes were super cool, but third one was boring as hell, i never managed to finish it.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

If you necessarily need to jump then use the emote /jump, then you got your (pointless) jumping. And how is the combat system extremely bad?

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

If you think Guild Wars' combat system is bad, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. The only thing that could be better is a first person (à la fps). At least guild wars doesn't have 1 animation for 6 attack skills (like lotro), or you keep hitting your target, although it is dead for over a second (also, like lotro). 

If you complain about the level cap, you never should have bought GW, instead you should play games like Tibia, without a level cap. Having no level cap is just like the instancing. It opens up a lot of possibilities (decent storyline, decent quests, etc. ), but has some disadvantages too. I don't really care about the disadvantages. No other players in the zone means, nobody else killing the beasts I want to kill. A low level cap means, or should mean, less grinding. Of course, they found another form of grinding (we wantz teh moneh). 

BTW; it's not the same company as Aion. NCsoft just publishes the game, Arenanet develops the game. Just like with Carbine studios (unanounced MMO), also published by NCsoft. IMHO, i trust Anet a lot more than I trust NCsoft. And looking at what Aion turned out to be, that won't change any time soon.

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Yes, it most definitely is. Despite having burnt out on it so many times, I always, and I mean always, ending up running back to it with my tail between my legs.

It's truly a shining example of a high-quality game. ArenaNet really do put a lot of effort into releasing polished updates to the game, and it was probably one of the, if not the single smoothest MMO launch I've seen.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I don't think GW is underrated at all.  I've seen many people post positive things about the game.  I can see that the game is good, but I didn't like it.  The controls felt too clunky for me (not as bad as many games, but clunky enough) and invisible walls annoyed me. 

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I don't beleive I've played the game for more than an hour total, so my opinion may not hold that much weight, but when I found out that everything outside of town is instanced, I never looked at the game again.

Originally posted by jusomdude

I don't beleive I've played the game for more than an hour total, so my opinion may not hold that much weight, but when I found out that everything outside of town is instanced, I never looked at the game again.

This is likely the reason its not rated as one of the top MMOs on this site. Most probly look past it simply because its not like "your average MMORPG".

I think  this type of MMO will be huge in the future once people see what GW2 has to offer. Not only is there next to no lag due to instancing but the replay value of games like GWs is top notch. The PvP in GWs is the best I've seen simply because theres actual strategy rather then gear grinding and button mashing. Its very refreshing. :-)

• redOrcredOrc Member Posts: 100

So much talk abot instances and no one talked of the real problem you face in most other game. It's like you're a fish in the aquarium and oblivous to the glass walls that are around you.

In most games I see complaints such as: "my server has lost it's players", "when are they going to merge servers", "which server is occupied", "If I have a character in an EU server, do I need to buy the game again for a character in an American server ?" and so on.

In GW, the servers are transparent, you want to move from 1 EU server to another, just push the button and you're there.

You wakeup at night and the active, high end players are in Japan, you just to that server and continue.

You friend just joined an American guild, while you're in  Korea, just ask to join them, and the next PVP session, you'll join their game (in a Korean server) with no aparent action from you.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

It depends on what you mean by "under-rated"

The game is recognized as one of the top MMO's in the industry. It maybe doesn't get near as much press as WoW but what does? It also has a relatively odd business model which makes it difficult to gage just how well its doing unlike WoW which can publish raw sub numbers (which are mostly Asian btw) But GW has a huge amount of box sales in the past and continue pretty consistantly today if you look at any of NCSofts quarterly reports.

www.ncsoft.net/global/ir/quarterly.aspx

It's also fairly aged and hasn't much new in the past couple years as arena is focusing on GW2 development and they more or less stated that Eye of the North would be the last major expansion.

• NurabuttNurabutt Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Godliest

If you necessarily need to jump then use the emote /jump, then you got your (pointless) jumping. And how is the combat system extremely bad?

Because every good mmo needs the option to jump around like your a kid with add on a sugar high!

/Sarcasm

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

Yeah it's one of the most underrated games.

If my guild didnt implode on it self (I actually had a guild that pvp'd and did pve content together on a schedule) I would still be playing it today.

So much freedom you basically level to twnety and have 90% of the game world to roam around.

Pvp is excellent and the Dungeons were actually well done.

Freaking class system was Epic, it's done right you get classes with a hidden skill system under the hood and ever evolving characters through Gear, pvp rankings/tourneys and a never ending list of skills and specs to play with.

Shit I miss that game.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by JGMIII

Yeah it's one of the most underrated games.
    If my guild didnt implode on it self (I actually had a guild that pvp'd and did pve content together on a schedule) I would still be playing it today.
    So much freedom you basically level to twnety and have 90% of the game world to roam around.
    Pvp is excellent and the Dungeons were actually well done.
    Freaking class system was Epic, it's done right you get classes with a hidden skill system under the hood and ever evolving characters through Gear, pvp rankings/tourneys and a never ending list of skills and specs to play with.
    Shit I miss that game.

Man i do too! I miss nights with guildy's doing everything from PvE trips to UW/FOW/SF to GvG, HoH, and even AB. I miss the cool world, and especially my monk, which IMO is the best healing class ever contrived.  I miss helping people through the story, and outwitting a good mesmer in RA/TA. :) 

Nothing else comes close.