Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm trying to understand you PvE guys(girls)...

InzraInzra Member Posts: 679

It's not that I don't like grouping and doing a dungeon or group objective of some sort... and crafting is also fun. I even like to rp.

it's fun when you down a boss for the first time, or just succeeds with a team against all odds, but...

I don't really raid, I rarely get there since I tend to move on to some other game or spend time trying too many classes or something. So my PvE experince is usally from grouping before endgame. I do a groupobjective for a certain level a few times, but then I move on to leveling - so I don't really understand it when people say "Do it again?" for the nth time.

To me the ultimate challenge in these games is allways PvP, especially against different enemies every time, cause then you don't see their weaknesses by observing them over several battles. To me that's alot more thrilling to win a PvP battle.

That's why I don't get why there's so much PvE focus in games. With focus I mean everything from gameplay, restrctions on PvP, pure PvE servers.

...I suck at PvP btw...

Comments

• BekkrBekkr Member UncommonPosts: 32

People like to succeed, and let's face it, it's pretty hard to actually fail in most modern MMOs in PvE.  I enjoy PvP when I'm in the mood, and I'd probably like it a lot more if I was younger (and could devote more energy to being better at it), but sometimes it's nice just to be able to log in and feel like I'm accomplishing something (completing an objective, etc.)

|The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer part of it. -Salvador Dali|

• samelizabethsamelizabeth Member Posts: 69

I personally am a pve person.  I like pvp more in a FPS, or a RTS. I find a lot of pve in mmos, is people complaining about balance, and games designed around pve, like wow, balancing for pvp is almost impossible.

There are lots of things I enjoy about pve, I love working as a team, and handling a difficult pull.  It works off coordination, and communication, different people doing different things at different times.

Its very satasfying to kill the big thing at the end of a hard instance, or a long quest chain.  Indeed just killing something huge and grand for the first time is a thrill. 

I also like to see my friends and myself get upgrades for their work, so we can go on to kill bigger and better things :).

My fav MMO was prolly FFOnline, it feels great to be in a good exp team leveling up, where the pulling is right on time and chained, where your chain skills all go off, where everything happens perfect, its a beautiful thing.

But ofc pve is more than just grouping.  Crafting is pve.  Theres nothing like working hard, grinding rare mats, and equiping a piece of gear you crafted.  Or popping a mana poition you crafted.  Or fishing up somthing, and cooking it for a buff.  I also really like making things for my guildies, and the feeling that you are helping everyone out.

Even something like grinidng rep for a great reward at the end can leave you feeling great :)

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Whilst I like PvP in some games, such as Eve Online, in other games the PvP is so carebear it isn't worth doing.  The PvP in WoW is so risk-free - not to mention unrewarding - it's laughable.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

People have different views of what is challenging and what isn't. Some prefer the challenge of organizing a group and going through the proper steps to complete a raid. Some prefer the challenge of preparation and strategic/tactical gameplay. Some enjoy 'setting the trap'... manhunting. Some prefer the challenge of swarms, flood rooms and a sea of mobs.

Personally, I like the challenge of an open battlefield - one where the battle actually started the minute I set foot into PVP territory... if not before. I can see, however, how others find that more frustrating than challenging and prefer the challenge of duels and arena combat.

There's also plenty of people that aren't playing for challenge at all. They rather a game that's a loot dispenser - a DingGrats progress quest where they can relax, smack away at a few things and end up with a reward or positive return in the end. With PvE, you can very easily control the level and rate of how that happens. If I just had a crappy day, I'll fire up L2, head to a remote corner and just use a twinked out lowbie to massacre the crap out of bears for a half an hour. Simple, fun and relaxing entertainment.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

I dont like pvp because it brings out the worst in people. i like pve because its fun to kill monsters with your friends. and what is fun for one might not be for another. i think its fairly easy to understand.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Were there to support the Developers and there stockholders. We pay a monthly subscription with a smile on our faces.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well, I definitely hate PvP when it means that a random jerk can attack you any time and kill you just for his own fun, even worse under unfair conditions (such as you being engaged in a fight with a mob and already at half health and mana).

Good PvP to me is when you participate at real PvP events like castle sieges where you cooperate with other players and the gain is something really relevant, such as getting control over a game resource.

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835

I would like PvP in my role playing games more if there were things in place to make most people think before they just attack people. If I walk out of my house right now and walk down the street there is a chance a homicidal maniac will attack me out of the blue. But he'd have more than likely thought about what happens to him afterwards. So yes I can get ganked by some random schmuck at the bus stop. But in my 37 years it's never happened. Now there are some neighborhoods where people won't think about it first. If I choose to go there, it was my decision to be there.

PvP in most games I've played goes like this: Find a lower level person(s) and kill them repeatedly. Spawn camping and just ruining fun for people period. There are a few games I've enjoyed PvP and thos games are when I have a choice to be there or not. DAoC was probably my favorite. I had a choice as to what neighborhood I worked in and if I wanted to venture into more dangrous territory, I could. But it wasn't forced on me by some angry psychopath. See to me full open PvP is something I don't like and don't understand how people can enjoy it. It's all playstyle I guess. Neither is right or wrong.  To me an rpg is for getting together with friends and taking out mythical creatures. When I am feeling psychopathic, I hop on TF2 or something along those lines. Or I choose to walk though the neighborhood.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Many people play games for reasons other than the ultimate challenge. Story, adventure, exploring, socializing. Challenge is just one of many things that make MMOG's attractive. PvP typically lacks in everything except the thrill of the kill and the challenge of staying alive.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I see this notion from many people.   I want a tough challenge.    Not me.   Not usually, anyway.    I think of it kind of like a comic book where the hero goes into the villains lair and has to take on waves of minions before getting to the real fight.   That last fight should be a challenge, it should be the climax of the mini-story.    The minions should, even in large numbers, have only a small chance of success.   The hero should be able to toss them around left and right.    This gives me a sense of power, of uberness.    And then.... the main bad guy.   OK, time for some strategy here.   Let's see, I'll start out with....

In PvP, you are at risk of being defeated every single fight.    While I can see how this might add some excitement at first, it would weary on me very quickly.     I am the HERO of the story!   I expect, as any hero should, to be successful 99% of the time!    Compare this to PvP where a great one-on-one PvP rating might be.... 65%?   70?

Another thing is the concept of a fair fight, one that has both sides roughly equal and either side could win.    I like this concept for games like chess, or bridge.   But those are non-immersive games.   I don't actually feel like a general when I'm playing chess.   Like an army in the real world, I want every advantage I can get.    Overwhelming numbers, surprise sucker attacks, superior firepower, etc.      I don't even want to start the fight until I know I am hugely favored to win.

That's why I don't PvP.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

I play PvE to make my character look as hot (and hawt) as possible. It's also a good way to kill some time. I try not to think too much about why I play it or I may very well realize that I don't have any good reason, and get bored.

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

I used to be a PvP only type of person.  Now I play EvE for PvP and usually another game for PvE.  My main issue with PvP is this.  In all the time I have been playing PvP mmo's I have never beat someone because I was a better player then them.  I have only beat another player because of lag, my class being over powered, using a dirty tactic...  So, pretty much I guess I'm saying I'm not good at PvP.  But in EvE it doesnt really matter.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

The reason I play MMO's is because I always find myself playing xbox360 wondering how cool it would be if this game kept going...  So in my opinion thats one reason people play MMOs so they can keep playing a single game, along with 1mil other people.  PvE is the questing and the story lines that make up MMOs.  PvP MMOs are terrible.  No offense to thoughs that like them.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by Adamantine

Well, I definitely hate PvP when it means that a random jerk can attack you any time and kill you just for his own fun, even worse under unfair conditions (such as you being engaged in a fight with a mob and already at half health and mana).
    Good PvP to me is when you participate at real PvP events like castle sieges where you cooperate with other players and the gain is something really relevant, such as getting control over a game resource.

I agree. But to me, PvP is always more randomized than PvE. PvE you need to learn, and then basically you have it down. But PvP can either be full of all elite enemy players who have Vent and great coodination, a group of random enemy players with a mix of good and bad, or all sucky players. The outcome is always different. The variables on your team vary, too. You and your friends may go in and be the baddest mofos in there, getting dozens of kills and topping the charts, but if your teammates suck, it might not be enough to win.

I think both have their place in MMOs, though. Part of me thinks MMOs would be better off separating PvE from PvP, since they clash and if you balance the game for PvE, PvP will suck... and vice versa. Single-player games have a single player mode and a multiplayer mode. Maybe MMOs would be better off doing the same.

Only problem is the logistics - how it'd work both technically and practically (you want to be part of the same game, the same world).

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

I don't really like beating someone else.. guess i'm not too competitvie. I play a healer too, and it's challenging in pve all the time.

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200

I prefer to accomplish things with other players, rather then against them.

For me an MMO has always been about cooperation, not competition.

That and PVP players in recent years have been the worst part of MMO's. (they just dont seem to be well adjusted people)

• Harpy_LadyHarpy_Lady Member Posts: 137

Pvp to me, is just like organized sports, which I happen to find just as boring and repetitive. I don't understand why people claim it's so much more varied than Pve either since pvp players tend to find a set of skills that work and stick with them. Pvp players claim more variety, but they will stick with a tactic or group of skills that helps them win.

Pve to me is like solving a puzzle. The entire dungeon is the puzzle. The timing of the pulls and managing mana and rests and what not all factor in to the winning solution (so to speak). Not running circles around another player spamming skills at each other until someone keels over.

I generally favor games that allow me to avoid pvp if I so choose. The exception being when Aion comes out. Although, I predict I won't enjoy the pvp there any better than in other games, I can at least enjoy the pve until that content runs out.

• IronZIronZ Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Inzra
    That's why I don't get why there's so much PvE focus in games. With focus I mean everything from gameplay, restrctions on PvP, pure PvE servers.
    ...I suck at PvP btw...

As has been stated tons of times before this, PvP players are, atm anyway, a  minority.  They are loud and vocal but they are still in fewer numbers than PvE players.  That's why games focus more on PvE....money.

Z

• Mister_BitMister_Bit Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by altairzq

I don't really like beating someone else.. guess i'm not too competitvie. I play a healer too, and it's challenging in pve all the time.

Almost a carbon copy of me, I'm just not competitive, if someone beats me in a PvP fight.. meh, I've nothing to prove to anyone. I like to help people whenever and wherever I can so I usually roll healers too or group friendly toons like CC, that's where I get my ''buzz''

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep. ~Navajo Proverb

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I detest most PvP with a passion, I find no fun in standing toe-to-toe with some snot-nosed kid who gets off on beating other people up because in RL they're pathetic 97-lb weaklings with no real talents to speak of, certainly being able to type in English isn't one of the things they do well.  If I wanted to do that, I'd be playing an FPS.  Instead, I'm playing against a world, that's why we play MMOs to begin with.  If you just wanted a PvP match, why would you ever need more than a cage or an arena?

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

I'm trying to understand you PvP guys.  There are other genres designed around players competing against other players. There are strategy games and shooter games where the entire game is a competition against others, and the competition is a lot more intense and a hundred times more fun than the annoying gank-fests that pass for PvP in the average MMORPG.

PvP in RPGs has never been anything more than a side game for me, an occasional activity I do to vary my routine or get a special piece of gear. If I want a competition, I log off and play a different game.

• CognomanCognoman Member UncommonPosts: 75

Agree, if you want to PVP buy left4dead. call of duty, fear, unreal etc...  You play against equally armed and equipped opponents .  PLus u dont have to pay  $15/mn.  

• kopemakopema Member Posts: 263

I'm trying to understand you PvE guys(girls)...

Did you ever hear the old expression, "You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than what he says about himself?"

The people who want to "roleplay" a prison rape gang describe others in effeminizing terms...

The people who need a virtual world designed to force others to associate with them describe everyone else as "antisocial."

It's kinda hard to believe all of that is a coincidence.

• kopemakopema Member Posts: 263
    Originally posted by Cephus404

If you just wanted a PvP match, why would you ever need more than a cage or an arena?

For the same reason Jeffy Dahlmer didn't become an ultimate fighter.  Some people simply don't appreciate the concept of a "fair fight."

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

It's not that I don't like grouping and doing a dungeon or group objective of some sort... and crafting is also fun. I even like to rp.
    it's fun when you down a boss for the first time, or just succeeds with a team against all odds, but...
    I don't really raid, I rarely get there since I tend to move on to some other game or spend time trying too many classes or something. So my PvE experince is usally from grouping before endgame. I do a groupobjective for a certain level a few times, but then I move on to leveling - so I don't really understand it when people say "Do it again?" for the nth time.
    To me the ultimate challenge in these games is allways PvP, especially against different enemies every time, cause then you don't see their weaknesses by observing them over several battles. To me that's alot more thrilling to win a PvP battle.
    ...I suck at PvP btw...

To be honest MMO's are always going to be most based around PVE with certain expections. Also in most games its fairly easy to know how to beat someone just by looking at their class.