Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Martin Luther King Was Republican

EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/14/billboard-claiming-martin-luther-king-republican-angers-activists-houston/

"Dr. King was bigger than a political party -- he was a humanitarian, and so to attach him exclusively to any party is to devalue his humanitarian global status," he said. "We were insulted ... by the billboard because it was a blatant lie."

To bad His lessons fell on some Deaf Ears...

Edit: to put in the right Quote and link...

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
—Samuel Adams

Comments

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Deaf ears? Certainly any supporters of any wars we fight right now since MLK's mantra was non-violence.

It would be insulting to say he'd belong today to either party, since neither fulfills his ideas of social justice and how mankind should co-exist.

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625

The post Reagan Republican party is very different from the party during MLK's days.  He may have been one then, but I doubt he would have evolved with it.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

"King held great sway over black voters and carefully courted both Republicans and Democrats. He never officially endorsed a party or candidate.

But the founder of RagingRepublicans.org, the black conservative group that sponsored the sign, told FOXNews.com that the sign was designed to get blacks to rethink their political affiliation -- about 95 percent of blacks voted for Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential elections -- and that this is just the beginning."

I don't think the issue is whether or not MLK was a Republican. The issue here is that the Republicans are now apparently trying to do with the Black citizens what they tried to do with the female citizens with Palin.

They tried to convince American women to vote for Palin because they knew many women loved Hillary Clinton. So they picked an ignorant, woefully ill-equipped person none of them had ever heard of (who later quit office almost two years too early) so that they could tell women voters "See? We have a woman! You should vote for us instead of the Democrats because,like... you're a woman and she's a woman!" Fortunately the majority of women voters in this country used sense.

Now it appears the Republicans are saying to the Black American community "See? Your greatest hero was actually a Republican! You should be like him and vote for us because you're Black and like, he was Black too!" This is so shameful it's beyond words; appealing to a group not by message (economics, ideology, policies), but by race or gender. I have a feeling that the Black Americans are just as smart as the women were and can see right through this, lol (95% against Republicans). This is such a shallow tactic involving playing the race card, all the more despicable because it's actually a Black Republican doing it apparently.

It's only fitting that the robot guy could dig this one up.

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162

Texas...huh...that figures. Even if MLK was a Republican, like most African-Americans in my neck of the woods he would most likely vote Democrat or Independent. Some of my Republican friends go absolutely ape-sh*t when they talk about a sizable majority of Maryland African-Americans Republicans voters who end up voting other than Republican.

The worst part about all of this with additional proof?

Look at what Micheal Steele said yesterday about Black American voters and what he'll do to "get their vote":
    -----------------------------------------

Someone asks Steele what is his plan about getting more diverse populations into the Republican party moving forward and he says:

"My plan is to say.. "Ya'll come. (people laugh) Cause a lot of you are already here."

Then someone off camera says "I'll bring the collard greens." Then people start cracking up, to which Steele responds...

"There ya' go!" (then laughs), then Steele says: "I got the fried chicken and potato salad!"

Forget issues being important. The Republican party apparently just want to lure Black Americans with MLK billboards and fried chicken picnics to get their votes.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902
    Originally posted by popinjay

The worst part about all of this with additional proof?

Look at what Micheal Steele said yesterday about Black American voters and what he'll do to "get their vote":

-----------------------------------------

Someone asks Steele what is his plan about getting more diverse populations into the Republican party moving forward and he says:

"My plan is to say.. "Ya'll come. (people laugh) Cause a lot of you are already here."

Then someone off camera says "I'll bring the collard greens." Then people start cracking up, to which Steele responds...

"There ya' go!" (then laughs), then Steele says: "I got the fried chicken and potato salad!"

Forget issues being important. The Republican party apparently just want to lure Black Americans with MLK billboards and fried chicken picnics to get their votes.

damn, I didnt know the GOP had greens and fried chicken.  Although I prefer turnip or mustard greens ...I may have to change my vote!

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

Arugula: it's the collard greens for future generations.

About the OP. Umm, who cares? MLK had a good message but the republicans have a bad one. That's all that needs to be said really.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Lol Let me be clear.

I agree With Mr. Kings Message 100%.

I Think his So called fallowers Should start acting in a way that Honors him.

And yes I allso agree that the Republicans Have a lot to learn from Mr. King... More so the Demacrats.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Lol Let me be clear.
    I agree With Mr. Kings Message 100%.
    I Think his So called fallowers Should start acting in a way that Honors him.
    And yes I allso agree that the Republicans Have a lot to learn from Mr. King... More so the Demacrats.

Who are his so called followers? And in what way should they act to honor him? It doesn't seem whatever you're insinuating has a thing to do with the thread, since some of his strongest messages are at a complete antithesis of Republican politics this decade.

• OzarumonOzarumon Member Posts: 107

I find it funny republicans complain about all blacks supposably voting for Obama because hes black yet republicans want blacks to vote for them cause MLK was black

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

Oh come now, everyone here pretends to ignore the fact that the African american community is VERY conservative in almost everything they believe, they're devout about faith, about right and wrong....

Yet when it comes to politics, they fear any non democrat wants them to be slaves again... i.e. whoopie goldberg on her dumb ass show asking mccain if she should be afraid to be a slave again...what a crock of shit.

you democrats love that they're following your blindly .... fear the day when they open their eyes...cause time is on the conservatives side more than you could ever possibly fear.  and fear is the right word for you.

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162
    Originally posted by Faxxer

Oh come now, everyone here pretends to ignore the fact that the African american community is VERY conservative in almost everything they believe, they're devout about faith, about right and wrong....
    Yet when it comes to politics, they fear any non democrat wants them to be slaves again... i.e. whoopie goldberg on her dumb ass show asking mccain if she should be afraid to be a slave again...what a crock of shit.
    you democrats love that they're following your blindly .... fear the day when they open their eyes...cause time is on the conservatives side more than you could ever possibly fear.  and fear is the right word for you.

LMAO! Wipe the drool from your chin Fax.

If the GOP keeps pandering to foaming at the mouth loonies, they'll remain a second class political party.

Even conservative African Americans shy away from the GOP because in the past they have felt as welcomed by them as cats at a dog show. It's no wonder they go out of their way to avoid GOP candidates. And now the GOP wants to be their buddies? HAH! Good luck with that!

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I think the billboard made a point.  Alot of african american voters vote based on partisanship instead of values.  If you watched the Colbert Report during the 2004 elections you would have seen this partisanship first hand.  Sure Martin Luther King Jr. wasn't a Republican, but he also wasn't a Democrat.  It hopefully will make people think instead of just voting based on party.  Have people wondered what voting Democrat has gotten them?  Every majority Democrat State are in tough times because of its legislation.  Everytime the US had a Republican or Democrat controlled congress and whitehouse, the country has done miserably.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Faxxer

Time isn't on the conservatives side, not sure what hoops of logic you had to jump to get to that conclussion.

You want to talk about fear and time? Here is one for you:

Atheism is the fastest growing "belief" in the United States and you can bet that they won't be pleased with the  religious fascism of the GOP's policies.

So when people really start to open their eyes,it will be another blow to the GOP if they don't change.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

I think it's a given that Martin Luther King would have voted for Obama.

Dur.

Originally posted by Cleffy
    I think the billboard made a point.  Alot of african american voters vote based on partisanship instead of values. 

Well, this is just a huge, monumental pot of nonsense.

If this is true, why didn't Blacks vote for Alan Keyes when he ran for President, or anything ELSE? Keyes has never won anything as a candidate and has never gotten Black support.

Plenty of Black people didn't want Clarence Thomas even though Bush did. Explain that. They certainly didn't agree with the "high tech lynching" comment Thomas made when he pulled that race card out or you would have seen Sharpton, Jackson and the NAACP all going nutso.

Plenty of Black people think Steele is an apologist for the "good ol' boys" and that's why they aren't joining the RNC. You'd think if the Republicans put a Black man as "head" then based on what you say, Steele should be winning over voters in droves.

Especially if Steele says he'll "bring the fried chicken and potato salad", right? Conversely, the majority of Black Americans when polled years ago said they'd vote for Colin Powell, A REPUBLICAN if he was on the Republican ticket. Blacks vote on issues even though you don't see it. The Republicans have just been offering them sleaze and don't have any real minority representation for them to choose from. They simply aren't going to jump at the first black face the neocons throw up there; and neither will women. That's why Palin failed as well.

You really just insulted the intelligence of an entire ethnicity. Could this sound any more ignorant of a people, lol? You really need to read some Black American sites to get a better perspective instead of blanket accusations.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

One could come to the same conclusion regarding any political party. No party truly cares of their constituents, they simply whore themselves to the largest voting bloc in order to remain/establish power.

Originally posted by Dekron
    Originally posted by popinjay Forget issues being important. The Republican party apparently just want to lure Black Americans with MLK billboards and fried chicken picnics to get their votes.
    One could come to the same conclusion regarding any political party. No party truly cares of their constituents, they simply whore themselves to the largest voting bloc in order to remain/establish power.

One could, but then one would have to show proof or some type of basis for how one "came to that conclusion". Which one hasn't yet, but one just says it to stick it on the wall.

So far, the evidence seems to be pointing in the other direction that one could claim goes both ways.

One could, but then one would have to show proof or some type of basis for how one "came to that conclusion". Which one hasn't yet, but one just says it to stick it on the wall.

So far, the evidence seems to be pointing in the other direction that one could claim goes both ways.

It's a broad generalization encompassing the entire political arena. I am not simply pointing fingers at your party and singling them out as the only other ones doing so. Keep in mind I am not, never have been, and never will be associated with any political party. I may have a ideological view that somewhat fits with one party or another, but, as an independent observer from the outside, I can easily see the whoring of both major political parties as well as third parties as well.

Both sides want power and both sides want to control our lives, but each side has a differing method to achieve that goal. If you want your proof, just look at Congress. Every bit of legislation that passes is not for helping the people, but for pleasing the largest voting bloc in order to remain in power.

Open your eyes, if you cannot see what is clear, then so be it - be blinded by party loyalty.

It's a broad generalization encompassing the entire political arena. I am not simply pointing fingers at your party and singling them out as the only other ones doing so. Keep in mind I am not, never have been, and never will be associated with any political party. I may have a ideological view that somewhat fits with one party or another, but, as an independent observer from the outside, I can easily see the whoring of both major political parties as well as third parties as well.
    Both sides want power and both sides want to control our lives, but each side has a differing method to achieve that goal. If you want your proof, just look at Congress. Every bit of legislation that passes is not for helping the people, but for pleasing the largest voting bloc in order to remain in power.
    Open your eyes, if you cannot see what is clear, then so be it - be blinded by party loyalty.

As an Independant, I don't have a party which means I can vote my conscience.

Of course one's generalization was broad, which is why I pointed it out. One should stay away from "broad generalizations", shouldn't one?

I think it's much more important to look at the post title and thread, and discuss what it says and not use a shotgun to try and make some unsubstantiated point.

Until one is able to provide pretty clear evidence, it's really just uninformed and unsubstantited opinion regarding any OTHER party (Green, Democrat, Libertarian, Patriot, etc) "doing the same things" as the Republican party here.

As an Independant, I don't have a party which means I can vote my conscience.

Of course one's generalization was broad, which is why I pointed it out. One should stay away from "broad generalizations", shouldn't one?

I think it's much more important to look at the post title and thread, and discuss what it says and not use a shotgun to try and make some unsubstantiated point.

Until one is able to provide pretty clear evidence, it's really just uninformed and unsubstantited opinion regarding any OTHER party (Green, Democrat, Libertarian, Patriot, etc) "doing the same things" as the Republican party here.

A simple issue to show the Democrats, for example, as guilty of bloc whoring is that of illegal immigration. They care not of the well-being of the illegals or their supposed "rights", they simply wish to legalize them and provide amnesty (and voting rights) to secure the Hispanic voting bloc.

A simple issue to show the Democrats, for example, as guilty of bloc whoring is that of illegal immigration. They care not of the well-being of the illegals or their supposed "rights", they simply wish to legalize them and provide amnesty (and voting rights) to secure the Hispanic voting bloc.

I am not sure one can prove that Democrats "don't care of the well being of illegals" when Democrats are usually the group saying that they shouldn't be turned away from hospitals simply because they are illegal, which is what the Republicans continually push. This is just one's theory pretty much with no actual proof of statements by Democrats saying they really "don't care" and are just trying to get votes.

Clearly the Republicans are playing a race card with the MLK billboard, not even mentioning an issue, platform or idea other than "If MLK was a Republican, shouldn't you be too?" That's clear race baiting and if Steele was White, this point would be even more obvious than it is now.

Steele saying he'll bring "fried chicken" is playing on an old Black stereotype that only Black people LOVVVVVVE fried chicken.

I guess for the Asian vote, Steele will bring the rice and chopsticks and for the Indian vote, he'll bring the curry, right? It's pretty reprehensible behavior and I'm surprised one doesn't simply call it for what it is instead of saying "Well, other parties do it too, so it justifies it."

• frodusfrodus Member Posts: 2,396

MLK was a extreme pro lifer.he would have never supported a party that kills the unborn,or as a matter of a fact he would have never be for the trapping of the African Americans in projects all over the nation or paying them to have children while requiring the Father to be out of the home to get the support.

A Message to the Hispanics

Trade in material assumptions for spiritual facts and make permanent progress.

Originally posted by frodus
    MLK was a extreme pro lifer.he would have never supported a party that kills the unborn,or as a matter of a fact he would have never be for the trapping of the African Americans in projects all over the nation or paying them to have children while requiring the Father to be out of the home to get the support.
    A Message to the Hispanics

Not sure what a "Message to the Hispanics" have to do with a Martin Luther King billboard or him supposedly not or being a Republican.

I smell stinky bait.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Originally posted by Cleffy

I think the billboard made a point.  Alot of african american voters vote based on partisanship instead of values. 

Well, this is just a huge, monumental pot of nonsense.

If this is true, why didn't Blacks vote for Alan Keyes when he ran for President, or anything ELSE? Keyes has never won anything as a candidate and has never gotten Black support.

Plenty of Black people didn't want Clarence Thomas even though Bush did. Explain that. They certainly didn't agree with the "high tech lynching" comment Thomas made when he pulled that race card out or you would have seen Sharpton, Jackson and the NAACP all going nutso.

Plenty of Black people think Steele is an apologist for the "good ol' boys" and that's why they aren't joining the RNC. You'd think if the Republicans put a Black man as "head" then based on what you say, Steele should be winning over voters in droves.

Especially if Steele says he'll "bring the fried chicken and potato salad", right? Conversely, the majority of Black Americans when polled years ago said they'd vote for Colin Powell, A REPUBLICAN if he was on the Republican ticket. Blacks vote on issues even though you don't see it. The Republicans have just been offering them sleaze and don't have any real minority representation for them to choose from. They simply aren't going to jump at the first black face the neocons throw up there; and neither will women. That's why Palin failed as well.

You really just insulted the intelligence of an entire ethnicity. Could this sound any more ignorant of a people, lol? You really need to read some Black American sites to get a better perspective instead of blanket accusations.

You completely misread what I wrote.  The data shows a large majority of African American voters are Democrats and vote purely on party lines.  Thats partisanship voting like I said.  Yet somehow you misread it to mean black people vote for other black people.  However, I guess it makes sense since you completely misread peoples comments all the time.

I think its positive to show a different view of what it means to be a black voter aside from a Democrat Candidate can depend on their support.  Having an image definetly brings to light how little people have followed Martin Luther King Jr's ideals, yet spout how he would support them.