Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

reading a post recently made by dekron made me think twice about this subject.

We're all gamers here, we all spend a lot of time at the keyboard, has anyone experienced Carpal tunnel?

If so, how long did it last? How much did it cost to get rid of?

Just a thread to show us your experiences..

What Are The Causes?

• Repetitive and/or static wrist and finger flexion causes the flexor muscles which 'close' the hand to develop more strength than the wrist and finger extensor muscles that 'open' the hand. This quickly leads to a "muscle imbalance" of the wrist and hand because of the lack of activities that require direct stimulation of the extensor muscles; such as opening a door or holding onto the steering wheel of a car with the backside of the hands.

• This imbalance causes the carpal bones to shift into the carpal tunnel from the sides and from above, while the hands are in the palm down position.

• Performing repetitive wrist and finger flexion causes inflammation of the flexor tendons due to friction within the severely compressed carpal tunnel; ultimately aggravating the existing symptoms, and leading to possible irreversible damage of the underlying tendons, blood vessels and median nerve.

*by the way, i wake up at midnight and early in the morning unable to use the right half of my left hand, Pulling the thumb, jerking, if you will, helps fix this. However, I still have an eternal stiffness. I've noticed chronic pain in my left shoulder, ...even though that's far from my wrist, I have an odd hunch that it has something to do with my right half of the left hand problem. Nothing to worry about I hope?

Comments

• jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

by the way, i wake up at midnight and early in the morning unable to use the right half of my left hand

LOL that is something you should be worried about.

Sometimes my fingers get a little sore, and pulling my fingers does seem to help.. but it isn't too bad(if you deny it, it isn't happening).

Here is to medical science. ::::20::

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

bahh..then I'm in a pile of crap.

If I tell my doctor, it's eventually going to get around to my parents, who somehow magically are going to relate it to my being on the computer all day

and are somehow magically going to attempt to reduce my computer time...drastically.

Benefits of having your own room, your own computer, and a door..lol

it doesn't get worse if untreated does it? Because I can live with this...just no more, please; it gets really annoying at times.

• 92165449216544 Member Posts: 1,904

I would say go to the doctor, tell your parents you hurt it by falling or someting, then tell your doctor the real story when they are not listening ::::28:: I wouldnt worry too much about it. I used to worry over everything, if my eyes hurt I thought I was going blind. I would seach the internet for syptoms similar to the one you are having. You could try not using the computer for a day to see if it helps. How long has this been happening?

EQ2 Qeynos Guild- http://www.imperium-arcanum.com

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Is that the same injury you can get from typing with your wrists down?

-----------------

"The Job Of Art Is To Chase Away Ugliness" - Bono

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Originally posted by MurtBijani
     I've noticed chronic pain in my left shoulder, ...even though that's far from my wrist, I have an odd hunch

Murt in ten years....

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server

I tried that during thanksgiving..didn't go on the whole day. The problem presisted with full steam. It's not a worrysome subject, jsut that I've been having this problem for more than 6 months.

I mean like, i doubt I'm going to go tell the doctor (not only because of my insurance not covering things like this, but also for the possible amputation of my left hand ...sarcasm intended) Like it doesn't bother me that much, just at night and in the morning. Which I guess is still kind of bad.

bah, frankly I don't think it's anything for me to worry about. image

has anyone else had experiences of this horrible syndrome created just to get rid of the gaming race?

• jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

lmao rathma...

Originally posted by rathma

Originally posted by MurtBijani
     I've noticed chronic pain in my left shoulder, ...even though that's far from my wrist, I have an odd hunch

Murt in ten years....

that's what happens when you take things out of context and rearrage them!

post a long post...see what torture I can bring to you, bwahahahha!

*breathes heavily while dragging one foot and walking to kitchen to get a snack*

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

I always knew Murt was Igor in disguise.

-----------------

"The Job Of Art Is To Chase Away Ugliness" - Bono

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• Dirk_GentlyDirk_Gently Member Posts: 193

For about the last 5 years I have had a gradually worsening condition in my hands whereby I get sharp pains down my fingers, pins and needles in my hands and arms and the feeling is gradually going in my fingers. I've been tested for Carpal Tunnel and it wasn't that, but anyone with these kinda problems really needs to go to the doctors because there is aload of heavy stuff it can be, (brain tumour, blood clot, spinal cord damage etc) my next stop is a scary trip to a neurologist

I'm hoping that it's not a gaming induced problem because that will be kinda embarassing ::::06::

A good wife deserves more than half the praise, just as a bad one deserves more than half the blame. - Tacitus

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Kiamde
    12/14/04 11:03:44 PM

Elite Member

I always knew Murt was Igor in disguise.

Bad disguise

Click Here --->Just one of those days<--- Click Here
    What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• MegaWolfMegaWolf Member Posts: 425

Try being really tall and sitting in a chair all day. im 6'5 and have really longs arms and my spine is curved a little. It gets really uncomfortable. But i never feel pain in my hands because i have a wireless mouse and my hand is stretched all the way to the back side of my monitor. I do get really bad cramps in my calves a lot when im at my computer but I think thats just a lack of water.

Playing: Vanguard SoH
    Played: EQ, Planetside, SWG, WoW, EQ2

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Pain in the shoulder of the arm and hand that has Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a symptom of CTS. It can be very serious. Serious enough to never be able to be corrected. Get it checked out. Now.

--------------
    Wu Name; Misunderstood Menace

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • qurckqurck Member Posts: 91
    if i get it i would just have to adapt.

We call the village idiot Mr. President

We call the village idiot Mr. President

• GamewizeGamewize Member Posts: 956
    Well my hand once cramped when I was typing, ando ne time my wrist did get a searing pain in it and I had to get off the comp for about 3 hours. One time my hwole damn arm went numb, coincidentally this was during an important game, my arm cramped RIGHT when I was about to kill the guy with a shotgun. Thereafter I got into a fight with fate, and broke said arm.

I am repair man man man man man!!!

I think it's the objective of your past self to make you cringe.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

I have carpal tunnel syndrome in an early stage right now.  I can get surgery and it would be like I never had it.  If you wait to long, you will never regain full use of your hands.

Symptoms I had:

Numbness/tingling in my wrist up to my forearm.
    I have woken up with hand completely numb.
    I'm getting the "C" shaped hand.  My fingers start to curve in while relaxed and looks like I am signing a "C".
    Decreased grip strength.

If you have any of these symptoms, I suggest you get it checked.  If it gets too drastic, you can lose all use of your hand.

--------------------------------------------

33.333333333333336% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?

Killer 100%
    Achiever 53%
    Explorer 33%
    Socializer 13%

I better go get it checked

• GamewizeGamewize Member Posts: 956

Oh yeah, my wrist still has a shearing pain when I try to bend it, it feels like its bending into a knife, it hurts. I hate it when your hand cramps in the middle of an important game...

I am repair man man man man man!!!

I think it's the objective of your past self to make you cringe.

• ARV1ARV1 Member Posts: 64
    I had the same problem. I went to the doc and he said put the back of my wrists together and push if you feel you index, middle finger and thumb start to go numb its a good chance its carpal tunnel. And well they did so now im going to get cut up to get this fixed.

If you want a free and fun mmorpg to play check out www.ogreisland.com
    My char is MelkorARV feel free to ask me for some help if you need it.

• SramotaSramota Member Posts: 756

Seeing this thread I realize... This is what happens every time I play for more than 7 hours in a row (i.e every day)
    Hand just makes a lock-down..
    Doesn't hurt tho.. It's just.. Stiff...

Rest your trigger on my finger.

Played so far: 9Dragons, AO, AC, AC2, CoX, DAoC, DF, DnL, DR, DDO, Ent, EvE, EQ, EQ2, FoMK, FFO, Fury, GW, HG:L, HZ, L1, L2, M59, MU, NC1, NC2, PS, PT, R:O, RF:O, RYL, Ryzom, SL, SB, SW:G, TR, TCoS, MX:O, UO, VG, WAR, WoW...
    It all sucked.

• Strider1233Strider1233 Member Posts: 176
    I did the back of the wrists pressed together thing.. and my hole hand got numb. Is that bad?image Edit: Or maybe its just because you guys are scaring me. Surgery doesnt sound fun.

================================================
    Every day millions of pinatas are captured and slaughtered, beaten until the tiny bloodthirsty beasts known as children swarm over them and devour there innards. Adopt a pinata today and save them from this horrible fate!

MoooOOOoooo!

• ARV1ARV1 Member Posts: 64
    dont press really hard or you will cut off blood flow just press a bit

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

[quote]Originally posted by MegaWolf
    [b]Try being really tall and sitting in a chair all day. im 6'5 and have really longs arms and my spine is curved a little. It gets really uncomfortable. But i never feel pain in my hands because i have a wireless mouse and my hand is stretched all the way to the back side of my monitor. I do get really bad cramps in my calves a lot when im at my computer but I think thats just a lack of water.

im 6'8" i know exactly what you mean. but when i type i keep my wrists level with my hands and do not rest them on the desk. i have never experienced any of those symptoms. my legs go numb sometimes though if i sit in the chair too long. (i did the wrist pressing thing too, and it did nothing)

Children In Back Seats Cause Accidents. Accidents In Back Seats Cause Children.

• UberwilhelmUberwilhelm Member Posts: 9

There is only one cure for carpal tunnel.... expensive and very painful surgery. The only thing you can do is do a set of stretches and workouts for your wrists. Other than that, welcome to the pain.

"When all else fails, kick'em in the kidneys!"

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

Originally posted by dekron

I'm getting the "C" shaped hand. My fingers start to curve in while relaxed and looks like I am signing a "C".--------------------------------------------image
    33.333333333333336% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?Killer 100%
    Achiever 53%
    Explorer 33%
    Socializer 13%

That's the only one I have. Is there something to worry? See I don't want carpal tunnel, or something. Because I want to join the navy, and I bet I'm not getting through testing if I have carpal tunnel.

If ignorance is bliss, you'd think people would be happier when you point out what morons they are!