Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Couple noob questions

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by tvalentine

i'd pay to see a t1 frig break a BSes tank (assuming he's smart enough to have one). Not only that, but the frigate doesnt have the cargo space for ammo to take one down, assuming the BS pilot isnt a complete newb.

Having a tank on a BS isn't really about being smart,  many fleet  BS's are intentionally fitted for total gank, and if a Frigate gets lucky enough to get in close on one of those, yes, the BS's could be taken down.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• carlyvalentecarlyvalente Member Posts: 17

There is something called "drones" on some ships. There is also nosferatus on some of them. Also smart bombs (odd lately)

Send me a frig , I send you a swarm of light drones. Let's see how long it takes the frig to pop or jump away.

Even if the bs don't have drones, the damage inflicted by a frig is not enough compared to repairs of a battleship.

This situation usually hapens on low sec and if the bs pilot is flying a bs with crap fitting... well he deserves anything.

Of course, if you mix a dumb + nervous pilot + bad fitted ship + stomping into a veldspar roid + no repairing modules+ no drones+ no nosferatus+ no sb all togheter then you can own a BS.

I lost a BS once, undocking in 0.0 . One frig came and started shooting me. I released drones and attacked him. He warped away. Suddenly a swarm (about 10) of interceptors, frigs and assault ships warped in and started to hit me. Of course no retreat possible for me to station (agression countdown) nor warp out (I was scrambled by 4 -5 of them). I killed 4 of them with my drones while repairing and I lasted 4-5 minutes (that's a lot of time) before came down. They even congratulated me at the end, I could just scoop my drones and wait for agression countdown and redock while repairing.

My mistake was not to see local before engaging the first frig.

But that was looooong time ago.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

if you read my post you'll notice that i actually mentioned neuts (nos) and that warriors are a type of light drone.

nobody is saying that a tech 1 frig will kill a battleship every time, we're (I'm) saying that its possible under certain circumstances, and using it as an illustration of how eve works. oh, and for the record, plated fleet battleships have no active tank so a frig would chew through their buffer eventually.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by Xennith

if you read my post you'll notice that i actually mentioned neuts (nos) and that warriors are a type of light drone.
    nobody is saying that a tech 1 frig will kill a battleship every time, we're (I'm) saying that its possible under certain circumstances, and using it as an illustration of how eve works. oh, and for the record, plated fleet battleships have no active tank so a frig would chew through their buffer eventually.

Confirming that it's possible to solo kill battleships in a properly fitted frig.  Actually happens a lot more than people realise.  Especially if you catch aforementioned battleship in a mission in lowsec or in a belt in 0.0.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

dont suppose you have a killboard link so we can put this to bed? i looked though ours and the closest i could come this week was two stealthbombers taking down a ratting bs.

This is a good example of a good frig pilot vs a noob BS one.

• NasirJNasirJ Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by carlyvalente

This is a good example of a good frig pilot vs a noob BS one.

Im sorry but that video is fake. The BS clearly only uses one gun, when he launches his drones he attacks one at a time. Not to mention there is a drake sitting there as well off the screen, and the BS never armor reps. It was a setup.

Fact is, rarely does anyone kill a BS with a frig. Its just not feasable. A group of frigs sure, but not one solo.

and again for the hard of understanding:

nobody says that it happens often, just that it is possible.

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

Fact is, rarely does anyone kill a BS with a frig. Its just not feasable. A group of frigs sure, but not one solo.

It doesnt happen if the BS pilot knows what he is doing. If he has a poor tank setup, yeah, he can get owned by a frigate, even a tech 1 frigate.

What people new to Eve often do not understand is tracking/Sig radius. The fact that smaller ships are harder to hit the bigger you are. But the reverse applies as well...the bigger your ship, the easier you are to hit. So the frigate is going to hit you every time, and you will probably never hit the frigate unless you prepare yourself ahead of time. Most Battleship pilots do not go around armed with small turrets.

So it comes down to the Battle Ship's tank vs the DPS of the Frigate. And if the Frigate pilot knows what he's doing and the BS pilot doesnt, yes, he can kill the BS.

• VillynVillyn Member Posts: 75

When you guys refer to Tech 1 or Tech 2, whats is that?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

OK, I'll come clean.  When I was like a 4 or 5 month old EVE player, i moved out to 0.0 in a somewhat poorly fitted Raven.

Even though it was fitted to tank, I was killed by a solo Interceptor (Tech 2 Frig)

How could it happen you ask?  Easy, I had fallen asleep while ratting a belt, (death by recliner I like to call it) and between the frig and the npc ships in the belt they killed me in short order, and the ceptor podded me.

Stupidity is probably the number one reason for a frig to ever kill a BS, but as people mentioned it can happen.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

When you guys refer to Tech 1 or Tech 2, whats is that?

Tech 1 are the normal ships...these are widely available and relatively cheap.

Tech 2 ships were introduced via a patch a long time ago. These are specialty versions of normal ships. For example, Heavy Assault Cruisers are normal cruiser hulls that have been optimized for the assault (offensive combat) role. Interceptors are normal frigates that have been optimized for a tackle role.

Tech 2 ships are expensive because they are harder to produce, and fewer people have the blueprints necessary to make them. Every race has a suite of its own tech 2 ships. 

Recently, the game introduced customizable ships that some people refer to as Tech 3. They are not necessarily better, but are much more adaptable than the other two classes. Because they are new and because they are expensive to make, they are very pricey right now.

Tech 2 ships carry a risk because although they are very expensive to buy, you can only insure them at the same levels as tech 1 ships. So if you get blown up, you will lose ISK no matter how well insured you had it.

This is a tech 2 frig (manticore stealth bomber) taking out a battleship (tempest) solo. well, with a little help from the rats.

heres the killboard link: http://www.ushrakhan.com/alliance/edk/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=60211

Proof positive that a newbie in a badly fit battleship will die to someone who knows what they are doing.

I recall a video (youtube I think) , it was long time ago. Several industrials as bait but  surprisinly fitted with guns and scramblers take down a BS.

Let me see if I can find that video again.

I was laughing about the comments and laughs on teamspeak of the indy fleet guys

Originally posted by Xennith

This is a tech 2 frig (manticore stealth bomber) taking out a battleship (tempest) solo. well, with a little help from the rats.

heres the killboard link: http://www.ushrakhan.com/alliance/edk/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=60211

Proof positive that a newbie in a badly fit battleship will die to someone who knows what they are doing.

Im sorry but a manticore is a stealth bomber not a frig. Its a frig hull, that is all. Ive ripped down megas with manticores before and they had armor reppers going. When you get 2000+ per volley with TORPS its easy. A frig with small laser/standard launchers/small rails will not be able to take out a BS by itself.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

A frig with small laser/standard launchers/small rails will not be able to take out a BS by itself.

I call bs on that one. Not a solo pvp fit one maybe, but every single sniping battleship used in 0.0 fleet fights will die to a frig if cought alone.
    And believe me, a lot of those travel alone during and after big fights.

Originally posted by batolemaeus

A frig with small laser/standard launchers/small rails will not be able to take out a BS by itself.

I call bs on that one. Not a solo pvp fit one maybe, but every single sniping battleship used in 0.0 fleet fights will die to a frig if cought alone.

And believe me, a lot of those travel alone during and after big fights.

If its a sniping fit it may be possible, but thats far and few between. Lets be realistic here, your giving the guys a false sense of security.

Basically don't try to take BS on with a frig, unless you have support. If you do, get in real close , pray , and go get some popcorn. Cause if you don't run outta ammo your going to be sitting there for a very long time.