Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the absence of superman in the dc universe a real possibility

arthen999arthen999 Member Posts: 183

i wonder if superman will be in it come 2013because if dc comics no longer retains the rights to the character following this weeks court case he may not be .

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

only a WHAT IF for now

The Court Declares Superman's Copyright Situation Confusing

io9.com/5311379/the-court-declares-supermans-copyright-situation-confusing

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

What Lex Luthor and Kryptonite didn't manage is now done by some evil lawyers. This is hilarious. Superman is integral to the DC universe. Such bickering about rights do people little credit. I more and more start to feel sympathy for the new Pirate Parties that copyright is an outdated concept.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

Is Supergirl safe?

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Siegal and Schuster were not employed by DC when they created Superman. DC has no real claim to them.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Hathi

Is Supergirl safe?

If the court rules in favor of the Siegal and Schuster estates, no. Anything derived from the Superman character/story/mythos would be subject to fat royalty fees.

• arthen999arthen999 Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by Hathi

Is Supergirl safe?

If the court rules in favor of the Siegal and Schuster estates, no. Anything derived from the Superman character/story/mythos would be subject to fat royalty fees.

its my understanding that the court did rule in favour of the siegal and schuster estates last week . i noticed the news when i was looking at sci fi wire when it said that the superman sequal was in doubt because of the ruling . the rights revert from dc to the familys of siegal and schuster in 2013 . i kind of wonder where this leaves supermans supporting cast as well . does it mean there could be a situation where brainiac is owned by dc when superman is nt . it ll be weird if he ends up at marvel comics i mean hes such and iconic character and integeral to the dc universe . having said that it could be fun seeing him have a go at the hulk in actual marvel continuity rather than in an elseworlds what if situation . personly i think dc will retain the character but its by no mean certain and lets face it theres a history between dc and the familys of the creators . they may not be inclined to deal with dc .

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

This may not be the best time to release this im seeing a decline in folks interested in this or Champions online. Just my opion

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

DC could just buy over from them, or send a loyal fee, something like that....

oh noes.... my super dog.... :(

RIP Orc Choppa

Originally posted by Elsabolts

This may not be the best time to release this im seeing a decline in folks interested in this or Champions online. Just my opion

i think champions may do ok as a niche game as city of heroes has done . i think the problem is most mmo players are concentrating on aion which is released about the same time i gather . i proberbly will try champions at some point but aion looks so good i think i ll be trying that first

Originally posted by arctarus

DC could just buy over from them, or send a loyal fee, something like that....
    oh noes.... my super dog.... :(

oh no poor old krypto he ll be howling if superman flys off to another company . lol

theres definatly going to be a bidding war for superman . who knows who ll win . i can forsee a situation where superman is killed off in the dc universe only to find himself in the marvel universe . it would be very very weird for people like me that have grown up with both universes and love them both in different ways to see a major character from one inserted in the other .

dc should have treated the creators of superman better in a way they ve brought this on themselves . the thing is if this has happened with superman does it set a president for the familys of the creators of batman , wonderwoman and other dc icons to follow suit . on the flipside some marvel characters could be effected too . although given most of the iconic characters there were created by stan lee so its less of a problem for them .

who know where this will all end . things may never be the same again .