Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does it seem like DCUO has the same crappy graphics as Champions Online?

I have seen alot of Champions Online, and have NEVER liked their "cell shading" graphics. Then I heard the BUZZ about DCUO and how awesome it is going to be. So I started to follow this game.

But. Hold the phone. All the recent videos I have seen look like Champions Online but with different characters.

Why is no one making a SUPER HERO game on a DECENT game engine like Unreal Engine 3 or whatever they used for Crisis???

` I am waiting for a game that isn't a carbon copy of what was released 5+ years ago `

Comments

• rellorello Member Posts: 186

So they get the biggest audience.

• LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by MsBunny2u

I have seen alot of Champions Online, and have NEVER liked their "cell shading" graphics. Then I heard the BUZZ about DCUO and how awesome it is going to be. So I started to follow this game.
    But. Hold the phone. All the recent videos I have seen look like Champions Online but with different characters.

Why is no one making a SUPER HERO game on a DECENT game engine like Unreal Engine 3 or whatever they used for Crisis???

I don't really have as much a problem with them in regards to the colors as opposed to body/face shapes and appearance styles.

Also, keep in mind that the details aren't as high as say Blade and Soul, or Continent of the Ninth, or Tera, etc. or many console games. Highly detailed games generally lack customization, because it's a lot more work. And higher PC requirements severely limits the amount of consumers. But I do agree that the overall result doesn't look particularly satisfying.

Many gamers spout out "technical" jargon as if they understand it (and then the community starts using them as well), but they're totally using it wrong. A game engine (or more appropriately, a graphics engine) allows the capabilities for certain levels of graphics; it does not define how something looks. DC Universe and Champions Onlines went with a specific graphical design style (and the style itself is hardly related to the game engine).

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

Because grown-ups don't care about stupid, bullshit, childish, garbage like graphics?

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

Because it's easier to do, quicker, cheaper and grabs a bigger audience.

Next to this, it is a COMIC BOOK STYLE SUPERHERO game. Why you don't expect graphics that carry over is beyond me. By the way the "thing" they used for Crysis is called the CryENGINE. And it doesn't matter what engine they use, it's the skill of the artists, and the art direction. Otherwise, whatever engine they used, it'd be the same style, same quality models. They might be a little higher in the poly count, higher res textures, more post processing. In the end it'd still be the 'cel-shaded crap' you hate oh so much.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• MsBunny2uMsBunny2u Member Posts: 8

Because of both games graphics... I wont be buying either. They look like shit. Comic book styling at 15 bucks a month is a waste of money. Prototype or Infamous can fill that void.

Go ahead and flame me little boys, it doesnt change the fact that everyone would enjoy both games more if they had more impressive graphics like Age of Conan. (yes it is a shame AoC gameplay sux, but atleast the game looked good)

PS, as a wife and mother... I would rather play a great looking game that a game that looks like 1980s colorforms.

` I am waiting for a game that isn't a carbon copy of what was released 5+ years ago `

• crapricotcrapricot Member Posts: 46

Hard to believe a "wife and mother" would waste her time spewing crap on gaming forums. Don't you have something better to do?

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

You would think, since there is already a comic book style hero MMO, they'd try to do something different with the graphics.  I can understand, if not sympathize with Cryptic for recycling their own engine, it's cheaper if not just plain cheap, but I had expected DC to do something different to reduce direct competition and to maybe appeal to a wider market.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Because of both games graphics... I wont be buying either. They look like shit. Comic book styling at 15 bucks a month is a waste of money. Prototype or Infamous can fill that void.
    Go ahead and flame me little boys, it doesnt change the fact that everyone would enjoy both games more if they had more impressive graphics like Age of Conan. (yes it is a shame AoC gameplay sux, but atleast the game looked good)

PS, as a wife and mother... I would rather play a great looking game that a game that looks like 1980s colorforms.

First off, I don't see where being a wife and a mother validates you not playing a game that you think looks like colorforms. You could be a 70 year old grandmother and still enjoy the graphic novel style. Age has nothing to do with it. Otherwise one could just make the leap and say once one hit a certain age then all video games would be child's play. I think we both can agree that that's nonense.

Secondly, the answer to your question is that it's stylistically correct. This doesn't mean that a game needs to have this type of graphic on order to be a super hero game but it is very much fitting with the material.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095
    Originally posted by crapricot

Hard to believe a "wife and mother" would waste her time spewing crap on gaming forums. Don't you have something better to do?

Yeah, because voicing your opinion is only for nerds and no-lifers.  God forbid that people who post on bulletin boards can actually do so and still have a life.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by crapricot

A LOT of People into games these days ARE mothers or fathers, Heck we were playing video games when you were a twinkle in your  moms eye or still wearing diapears {in good humor}. and we do have have a right to recreation as well dilweed lol. and if you look closely OP nothing is set in stone atm, graphics for the most part are one of their worries but not the most important one FIRST all the time, game mechanics is what a GAME needs to get right first IMO. Its like making a car from scratch,sure you can put the frame on and all the doors and accessories first and than paint it, but its not going to run :). just how I see it .

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

I hear you,but you can only get so REAL with comic type games, i would keep an eye on DCUO (fyi im not a fanboy,just keeping an eye on it my self) the graphics will most likely get a better polish once they get closer to realeas and/or beta. but that just me. and honestly for me I dont want a superhero/villian game to look to real,after all it is based off of comic books,but to each there own. as we all  know the famous saying that imo holds true -its not everyones cup of tea- "3 lumps please!" :)

• seventy7lseventy7l Member Posts: 112

I am sure someone something about it appealing to a wider audience.Graphics may not make the game although something nice to look is good.The reason for lower end grpahics is more people can play it more paying subsribers.The companies minds are set on one thing making sure the game goes through creation alright then onto selling.Not here to flame or anything you cannot expect every game to look shiny and polished .

Like pong i keep bouncing back and forth between games.

• stine96stine96 Member UncommonPosts: 45

It is using the Unreal 3 engine.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

Hm, I haven't looked much into both games, but to me DCU looks quite better, espcially since DCU is still pre-alpha. I know only the screenshots and latest videos, but there DCU looks sharper and more inetersting to me. But then, who is to say. ;)

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

super heroes = cartoon i would kinda get a puke feeling of seing a screenshot of a realstic eq2 graphics look alike super hero game i wouldint spend 1 cent on a game like that

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Nondoggs post is idiotic to say the least but I have to agree with some points comic books have a cartoonish look to them so I would expect nothing less from a game based on them and I'd also have to disagree somewhat with the games looking like Champions online, I can't speak to what you see but I can easily distinguish between the two of them but like I said I can't see for everyone.

Again I have to agree with alot of opinions that it is more important to make your game accesible to more people than it is too wow your peers with "gorgeous" graphics the fact that you bring up AOC is fitting as I can only imagine it took so many resources to achieve those beautiful graphics that they ran out when it was time to actually impliment the game.  I for one don't use an incredibly high powered machine and I would never shell out the kind of money it often requires to keep up with the next new toy on the mmo market.  Most if not all of the games that have required an entire system upgrade have fallen woefully short on the most important aspect of gaming and that is fun.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

You call some of the good folks here "little boys" yet speak immaturely enough as to assume that everyone shares your opinion that "cell shaded" graphics look like shit. I for one am not a little boy and I'm also not going to flame you. You certainly have the right to your opinion;however, I really enjoy the visuals of Champions Online. I also happen to be a fan of comics, to which the visuals pay homage. If it's not your cup of tea, that's understandable, but it's truley not fair or accurate to assume that no one else enjoys the visual styling of the game.

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

You can turn off the black lines that surround everything. It looks a lot better that way and seems to reduce graphic lag.

• ManchineManchine Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Yunbei

Hm, I haven't looked much into both games, but to me DCU looks quite better, espcially since DCU is still pre-alpha. I know only the screenshots and latest videos, but there DCU looks sharper and more inetersting to me. But then, who is to say. ;)

Funny I was thinking Champions looked better.

• ManchineManchine Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Praetalus

You call some of the good folks here "little boys" yet speak immaturely enough as to assume that everyone shares your opinion that "cell shaded" graphics look like shit. I for one am not a little boy and I'm also not going to flame you. You certainly have the right to your opinion;however, I really enjoy the visuals of Champions Online. I also happen to be a fan of comics, to which the visuals pay homage. If it's not your cup of tea, that's understandable, but it's truley not fair or accurate to assume that no one else enjoys the visual styling of the game.

Probable the best post here.  Being immature doesn't have anything to do with age. 

PS.  I am a father and a Husband and I would rather play a good game then a great looking game any day.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190
    Originally posted by stine96

It is using the Unreal 3 engine.

Crysis? Crysis isn't using Unreal3, it's using CryEngine2.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Zerocyde

Because grown-ups don't care about stupid, bullshit, childish, garbage like graphics?

Bullshit! The number one reason for new PC hardware being constantly developed is for gaming and seeing as the average age of a PC gamer is in the upper 20s then for sure alot of "grown-ups" like gfx.

Ironic though that you speak about "childish" when talking about a freaking comic book based game.

• reeb23reeb23 Member UncommonPosts: 37

I think the cell shading looks badass it makes the game look like a comic book which most super heroe fans would want and thats gunna be most of the players who will buy these games

• 13luerose13luerose Member Posts: 6

It's supposed to be like a comic book. Not that difficult to work out really.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Zerocyde

Bullshit! The number one reason for new PC hardware being constantly developed is for gaming and seeing as the average age of a PC gamer is in the upper 20s then for sure alot of "grown-ups" like gfx.

Ironic though that you speak about "childish" when talking about a freaking comic book based game.

Comic book doesn't stand for childish.  I don't no any child that could shell out 1000+ for a vintage comic book do you?  There are also a lot of graphic novels that children don't read.  Infact, I don't know any young adult for the most part that even has ever been to a comic book shop.  Do you?  Comic books are for the most part a thing of the past, and most people that are in their 20's to 30's grew up with them, and are the majority of the market.

As for not caring about graphics, I think that is a valid statement.  I run a 3.0oc'd phenom 9950 8gb ram, and a gtx 285 factory overclocked w/ 1gb ram.  Sure I run a top of the line system, but I still play a lot of older games, and buy very few new ones, as graphics take a back seat to gameplay everyday in my book.  A game can look fanatastic, but if plays and feels like crap, its garbage.  Reason why a few MMO's are going for a more stylised art(cell shading for example, SW:TOR is doing something similiar in regards to stylised)  The only market that cares for graphics are the tweens and teens that own xbox360 and ps3, and all they care about is graphics, not to mention an mmo is to complex for half of them.