Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well...I think it's time to say goodbye to MMORPG.com

Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

Probably not a lot of you know me. I post infrequently now-a-days. You'll usually see me post in the Age of Conan/War/The Pub forums. I've also been known to enter into the Off-Topic frey every once in a while.

I started coming to MMORPG.com last summer so that I could discuss WAR with people and get a feel for what it would be like. Now that I look back...I've said a lot of stupid things and done a lot of stupid stuff on this forum, although I've really grown a bit on this forums. I've met a lot of really awesome people and a lot of not-so-awesome people. I'be got in fights and I've been excited to the point of histerical laughter.

I've enjoyed this place. Every night for a long time I've been excited to come here and get news on all the MMORPGs. I love to see the industry grow and watch as games mold and change.

However, I've decided that my time posting on the forums, reading threads, and participating in forum debates has come to an end.

This has been coming for a while now. I'm just rather uninterested in what people have to say anymore...because it's always the same. Everytime a new game is announced...there are always those who will passionately love it and those who will want to burn it at the stake. Trolls and Fanbois as they've been named. They are the same, no matter where you go. WAR, AoC, Darkfall, Aion, Fallen Earth, WoW, LotRO, Vanguard...I've seen a lot of bitching about all these games and I've seen crazy passionate and blinded fanbois of them. I'm sick of watching these stupid flame wars. It's old and not interesting anymore.

Really...the straw that broke the camels back came today in the form of this article:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/243003/page/1

It's the article written by Dana pretty much calling out Role Players as whiners and intellectually inferior to TROLLS!

yah...I wasn't happy in the least. I figure, now that even the staff are joining this idiotic fray...it's time to end my time here on the forums.

I'll still pay attention to the news and keep an eye on the happenings in the MMORPG industry, but I'm done contributing my thoughts and opinions on this site.

I have a lot of good memories...my excitement for WAR, some conversations I've been a part of, the knowledge gained...but it's time to pack my bags and head out. I just want to thank everyone that contribute to all the game forums with guides and objective material and such. You are the kind of people that lowly people, such as myself , look up to. You have really helped people like me to learn more and helped me in a lot of ways when dealing with games...so I thank you.

I hope that MMORPG.com cleans up its act though. I hope that they don't allow hate-filled articles by mediocre writers anymore. I hope that I can come back here one day and see threads where people are debating the game in depth *WITHOUT INSULTING EACHOTHER* and sharing ideas.

Do I really expect this though?

No...no I don't.

Sincerely,

Capn23

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

Comments

• NicksdNicksd Member Posts: 403

Can I have your stuff?

• OldAgeJunkieOldAgeJunkie Member Posts: 207

Can I have your forum account?. just kidding. Later. :)

mmorpg's flop faster then mcdonalds cheese burgers these days.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Well, let's see. We had Sanya try to start a racial war with her article, and now Dana insulting a large portion of the mmorpg community.

While I tend to give Dana the benefit of the doubt as he has been one of the best writers here, it is sad to see.

Well, keep the ol'[ site bookmarked, Capn. Come in and say hi once in awhile at least.

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

Even if I like alot of the latest articles here on MMORPG - I have to agree with you about what is said about Roleplaying.

In the end... its just one way of playing - PVE - PVP - RPG - whatever.  Be mature enough to realise that someone might like something diffrent.  Thats where these Role playing articles here on MMORG.COM have gone to far.  

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Well, let's see. We had Sanya try to start a racial war with her article, and now Dana insulting a large portion of the mmorpg community.
    While I tend to give Dana the benefit of the doubt as he has been one of the best writers here, it is sad to see.
    Well, keep the ol'[ site bookmarked, Capn. Come in and say hi once in awhile at least.

I MAY pop in once in a while...but we'll see. I gotta let this cynical mood pass...

and no...you can not have my stuff...especially not my bucket...

Originally posted by Capn23

Please

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Nicksd

Can I have your stuff?

I really lmao at that.

Please

I've seen the bucket. Trust me, stay far away......

I will take your word Zorvan...

What about the hat.. it's nice.

• MistmouseMistmouse Member Posts: 91

I do think the forums have gone down hill over the last year or two. The main reason I come here is to see what ,if any new games are coming out that I might want to play.

I do also enjoy reading the viewpoints of some of the writers such as Sanya Weathers, Richard Aihoshi and Garrett Fuller to name a few.

I hardly read the forums much now becuase it like playing switch, the game where you stick one thumb up yer rear and the other in your mouth and Switch! it leaves a bad taste.. hehe

As long as they have good staff writers and posts by developers to read I'll keep stopping by

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

I never knew one could get emotionally attached to a forum.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

I will take your word Zorvan...

What about the hat.. it's nice.

No, no. I already have dibs on the hat.

You can have the collection of edible underwear, though.

Originally posted by Zorvan

No, no. I already have dibs on the hat.
    You can have the collection of edible underwear, though.

Depends on the flavor.

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529
    Originally posted by Man1ac

I never knew one could get emotionally attached to a forum.

well after seeing familiar names every day and seeing the passion of some gamers...you do get attached.

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

After eading the two articles by Dana and then Sanya, the only thing I can say about the difference between them is....wow.

• ZivaDominiZivaDomini Member Posts: 442

There's articles? Who's Dana?

• HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 218

Pet peeve of mine when people make this self indulgent goodbye threads pretending that the reader has any idea who they are.  I rather people just leave as opposed to grand standing.  MMORPG.com provides news on the industry.  Better than most other sites, if not all.  To "leave" this site because you don't like an article or two (didn't bother reading your entire post), is a bit assanine. 

If your time on the internet is only so long as you don't read something you don't like then your stay on any website or any forum will be very, very short lived.  Welcome to the world of differing opinions.

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619
    Originally posted by ZivaDomini

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/3267/The-Myth-of-RP-Servers.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/3274/Roleplay-Servers-Are-Hard.html

There you go - compare and contrast.....

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450

Really...the straw that broke the camels back came today in the form of this article:
     http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/243003/page/1
     It's the article written by Dana pretty much calling out Role Players as whiners and intellectually inferior to TROLLS!

I couldn't agree more, I'm disappointed that Massey even decided to publish this to the site. He has been one of the better columnists around here since joining (sure, his writing skills are mediocre at best, but he usually provides a solid read).

This, however, is quite a step in the opposite direction. Not good.

Originally posted by Hammertime1

Originally posted by ZivaDomini

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/3267/The-Myth-of-RP-Servers.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/3274/Roleplay-Servers-Are-Hard.html

There you go - compare and contrast.....

I want to say it was sarcasm, but who knows.

• ZivaDominiZivaDomini Member Posts: 442

Yeah, it was a joke with a splash of sarcasm.

Mostly my point was that who cares what they say? I read them sometimes and just shrug them off as opinion.

• BureykuBureyku Member Posts: 488

Peace man.  Look at the bright side.. it can only get better right?

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by Herithius

Pet peeve of mine when people make this self indulgent goodbye threads pretending that the reader has any idea who they are.  I rather people just leave as opposed to grand standing.  MMORPG.com provides news on the industry.  Better than most other sites, if not all.  To "leave" this site because you don't like an article or two (didn't bother reading your entire post), is a bit assanine. 
    If your time on the internet is only so long as you don't read something you don't like then your stay on any website or any forum will be very, very short lived.  Welcome to the world of differing opinions.

Capn is an extremely well known user here, so you really have no arguement.

Want to know what one of my pet peeves is? self indulgent people that can't just ignore a thread on an internet gaming forum, instead they have to pipe up and act arrogant towards another user. Childish.

To say that MMORPG.com reports news on this industry better than most other sites is just plain incorrect. Do you even read other mmo news sites? TTH? Massively? etc... Both of them are far superior to MMORPG.com in every possible way.

This site is commonly regarded as a breeding ground for trolls and loud mouthed naysayers. Ask yourself this, how many times have you ever heard anyone recommend visiting this site to another person? not many, if ever, correct?.

There's a damn good reason for that.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Loved reading everything you wrote whether I agreed or not.  You'll be missed man.

• hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788

Hey Capn. You be back..All bad pennies come back..This is like your forum home away from home..You have no friends on the out side..Haha..But hey do what ya got todo..Dont forget to pop back in now or then..

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"