Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did anyone watch Earthsea?

I remember there was a post some time ago asking who was looking forward to this mini-series. I was; I am not anymore. Let me tell you why.

Let me state right off the bat that I did not read the book(s). From what I have read, the mini-series was a piss-poor adaptation of the book, that is good.

The acting was terrible. Not only did it start off very corny, but the character development of Ged's (which I am told is his "secret name" (I will talk about why this pissed me off later)) father and teacher is absolutely atrocious. I was left dazed and confused, which never happens as I have a very high comprehension level. For example, I read through 400 pages of Thoreau's work in a single day and remembered it all for an exam two years later. I am not trying to brag; I am trying to make a point that if I can't under stand it, it must be done poorly (which kind of makes it sound like I am bragging, doesn't it? Sorry about that).

Well, this was going to be longer, but I am going to shorten this dramatically since I am sick at the moment. I just want to mention this last thing. Having not read the books, I do not know if this was in there, but the use of a "secret name of power" really annoyed me. Why, you may wonder? If you read the book Eragon, Christopher Paolini uses the same thing. It works exactly the same way, too. If someone knows the secret name of something, that person can control that thing. Having loved the book Eragon, I hated to see his work used like that. However, I am going to check the publishing date on both books right now and see who had the idea first. Thought, I probably should have done that before commenting, right?

*Edit*

Ouch, rough. Apparently Earthsea beat Eragon by 22 years. Uh oh, Christopher, someone has been caught.
Doesn't matter now. Tell me what you thought of the movie and I will edit this post soon.

P.S - Don't point out grammatical errors, I already spotted them all, but I am not fixing them now or probably ever.

Comments

• metalfoxusmetalfoxus Member Posts: 805
    It's a Sci-Fi Original, of course its gonna be bad.

• TropheusTropheus Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Ya, I seen this and it was really bad..image

• BigPeelerBigPeeler Member Posts: 1,270

off-topic sorry but...

Tropheus... where the hell do i know you from?

--------------------------------
    BigPeeler - The Origin

Crazy Drunk Hindu: "Man!... Why you gotta be like that Peeler?..."
    Peeler: "I dunno man... thats just the way it is. ^.-"
    Crazy Drunk Hindu: "Aye..."

BETTER RECOGNIZE!!!

--------------------------------------

• findnolimitfindnolimit Member Posts: 112
    I was going to correct you about your criticism of the story... Eragon did not come first at all and having read both books Le Guins are by far better.  You did that yourself so sorry for the repetition.  I'm not going to have a chance to see the miniseries... I was going to ask my family to tape it because I have read all of Le Guin's Earthsea series and love the story.... However, maybe I wont.

Thinking of strange days
    And wet-dream escapades
    Oh this summer is sweet sleep
    Because we are living day dreams

Thinking of strange days
    And wet-dream escapades
    Oh this summer is sweet sleep
    Because we are living day dreams

• DrakaeonDrakaeon Member Posts: 630

I am planning on reading Earthsea now. However, I am big on grammar and in the first two pages of the first book in the series, there are 16 grammatical errors! My eyes!

I will still read them.

• OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

Originally posted by Drakaeon

*Edit*Ouch, rough. Apparently Earthsea beat Eragon by 22 years. Uh oh, Christopher, someone has been caught.
    Doesn't matter now. Tell me what you thought of the movie and I will edit this post soon.

Uhm... actually, the concept is far older than either work. This is something that is prolly ancient and bubbled out of mythology (not greek or roman, but human mythology), that the real or true name of something could give you power over the named. You can find this theme in just about any Voodoo story, in most horror stories and prolly even tons of Sci-fi. It's older than dirt and neither author can lay true claim to it. ::::40::

As for the thread; I'm sorry to say, I missed the show. I'll have to make a point of finding a copy, just to evaluate it myself. I did, however, read the books. The trilogy was fairly awesome to me, as a young reader. Very dark and forboding world. Held my attention. I thought they were very well written (unlikc my posts). In fact, I tend to reread stories, normally to the point of memerization. This trilogy, I've never had to reread to remember. It has stayed with me.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the mini-series and you fill me with dread anticipation for what I'll see. But I will see it myself (it's like a car accident, you can't not look).

----------------------------------------
    Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitmos

----------------------------------------
    My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

Originally posted by metalfoxus
    It's a Sci-Fi Original, of course its gonna be bad.

The first Dune mini-series was pretty good. But that was about the only good one...

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Achiever 46%, Socializer 33%, Explorer 33%

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• AntiJohnnyAntiJohnny Member Posts: 34

I have to say, the acting washorrible in this miniseries. I felt like i was watching hercules, only worse. At least the plot development in hercules was comprehendable.

BTW, if you missed the first part, its on scifi in 2 minutes (central & eastern) and then you can watch the second half 3 times in a row! YIPEE!!