Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guild Wars under-rated??

Comments

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by skydragonren

Multiplayer. Check, Last I checked GW was pushing something like 2 million players. It qualifies as Multiplayer.

Counterstrike has more players than GW. That still doesn't qualify either as MMO. A 3D lobby isn't different from a 2D except for looks. GW cities is just 3D lobbies.

What good is 2 million players if they are still confined to 16v16 battles? think about it again, and ask yourself why standard multiplayer games need the label MMO. What is wrong with calling them what they are?

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

I wasn't able to find a good guild to play with so no fun for me. This game is very team Dependent. Everything was going fine until I went up against my first Korean team.

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667
    Originally posted by Rasputin

Why people still insist that GW is not an MMORPG.
    Let us define MMORPG.
    Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

It is MASSIVELY! Not Massive!

And the Massively refers to the Multiplayer part, not to content or whatever. Small instances with 16v16 or 32v32 is NOT massive in multiplayer terms, it is standard multiplayer.

And this is the exact reason whay GW is not MMO, and this is why they GW devs themselves have said that it isn't MMO.

You are being petty and retarded in regards to this topic.

I really do not care what a GW dev says. They built the game as a PvP team based game with a PvE filler.

GW has everything any other MMO has plus some. How many players are in a city instance at the same time. Well over 32. Sometimes well over 100.

GW is MASSIVELY as you seem the need to yell it. Regardless of what you say.

I have played the game, since it released. When I log into the game it FEELS like an MMO to me. I do not need to be in a 25 man raid to feel like im in a MMO.

It has a MASSIVLY community in every city you zone into. All having conversations, dancing, trading, and doing what a social network does.

Play it off however you feel like you need to, but GW is an MMO in every sense of the world.

Multiplayer. Check, Last I checked GW was pushing something like 2 million players. It qualifies as Multiplayer.

Counterstrike has more players than GW. That still doesn't qualify either as MMO. A 3D lobby isn't different from a 2D except for looks. GW cities is just 3D lobbies.

What good is 2 million players if they are still confined to 16v16 battles? think about it again, and ask yourself why standard multiplayer games need the label MMO. What is wrong with calling them what they are?

What are you talking about, take wow with 5 million US and European players,

Your saying because wow restricts it arena to 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 and BG's to 20-40 players it shouldn't qualify as an MMO. Your being rediculous.

EDIT* - On a side note, CS does NOT have more players than GW, and CS can only be played from a lobby set, choose a server and login to the game in 8-64 man server split against 2 teams.

You shouldn't even compare GW to CS cause they aren't even remotely the same.

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

a 10/20 man raid in tradition mmo's or GW 8/16 man missions i dont see much difference

Endgame in all those mmo's is just as heavy instanced as GW

Atleast in guild wars those 2 million can all communicate one way or another ingame.

Let us define MMORPG.

And the Massively refers to the Multiplayer part, not to content or whatever. Small instances with 16v16 or 32v32 is NOT massive in multiplayer terms, it is standard multiplayer.

And this is the exact reason whay GW is not MMO, and this is why they GW devs themselves have said that it isn't MMO.

I really do not care what a GW dev says. They built the game as a PvP team based game with a PvE filler.

GW has everything any other MMO has plus some. How many players are in a city instance at the same time. Well over 32. Sometimes well over 100.

I have played the game, since it released. When I log into the game it FEELS like an MMO to me. I do not need to be in a 25 man raid to feel like im in a MMO.

It has a MASSIVLY community in every city you zone into. All having conversations, dancing, trading, and doing what a social network does.

Play it off however you feel like you need to, but GW is an MMO in every sense of the world.

Umm, no Im not being petty. Im telling you the truth. learn to read.

You don't care what GW devs say? You know what, I don't care what YOU say.

Let us define MMORPG.

Umm, no Im not being petty. Im telling you the truth. learn to read.

You don't care what GW devs says? You know what, I don't care what YOU say.

"You know what, I don't care what YOU say."

You define pettiness. You need your own wiki page.

But whatever. The fact you compared GW to CS proves you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Originally posted by Leucrotta

a 10/20 man raid in tradition mmo's or GW 8/16 man missions i dont see much difference

Endgame in all those mmo's is just as heavy instanced as GW

Atleast in guild wars those 2 million can all communicate one way or another ingame.

Ya, and that is why many of those so-called MMOs are really stretching the definition.

WoW endgame is not MMO either if you only play raids/BGs.

If you call the lobby in Counterstrike or other FPS'es a part of the game (like the 3D lobby that the GW town is), then they too can "all communicate one way or another ingame".

But whatever. The fact you compared GW to CS proves you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Desperate?

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Why the hell does it matter whether someone classifies a game as an mmo or doesn't? If that aspect really affects what you think about a game then I feel sorry for you. It's like saying I don't like such and such game, let's say EVE online, because I don't like the name. It's absolutely ridiculous.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Let us define MMORPG.

I highlited city there for you.

It is massive in one city....Lion's whatever and the starter city....that's it.

You lose the feeling of massive when you dont run into other players in the wilderness...

Originally posted by arenasb

Why the hell does it matter whether someone classifies a game as an mmo or doesn't? If that aspect really affects what you think about a game then I feel sorry for you. It's like saying I don't like such and such game, let's say EVE online, because I don't like the name. It's absolutely ridiculous.

If it doesn't matter, why don't we just call it what it is? Why mis-label it?

I have not been criticising GW as a game, only it's labeling - a labeling that the GW devs themselves don't agree on.

Originally posted by donjn

Let us define MMORPG.

You lose the feeling of massive when you dont run into other players in the wilderness...

You know that is all up to a matter of perception, because to me I lose the immersion feeling when I run around in wow wilderness and bump into 1000 other people all killing the same boar im after.

In GW, you can bring 7 friends with you and feel like your playing with others, or be immersive and traverse the wilderness alone.

To each their own though.

Let us define MMORPG.

You know that is all up to a matter of perception, because to me I lose the immersion feeling when I run around in wow wilderness and bump into 1000 other people all killing the same boar im after.

In GW, you can bring 7 friends with you and feel like your playing with others, or be immersive and traverse the wilderness alone.

Ya, to each their own indeed. But that is not what we are discussing, we are discussing the labeling of GW.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by arenasb

If it doesn't matter, why don't we just call it what it is? Why mis-label it?

I have not been criticising GW as a game, only it's labeling - a labeling that the GW devs themselves don't agree on.

Thread has been derailed fast.

Why are we discussing this again? We should be discussing the merits of a video game that people play in numbers online for vast amount of time doing stuff.

Let us define MMORPG.

Are people still used the tired, old, cliche, kill X Boars argument?

Please..1000 people? For one boar?? lol

Blizzard now is using phasing technology like never before. Some of their quests are amazing. Not to mention spawns in WoW are based off the dynamic amount of players in the area. If there are more players than normal looking for that ONE BOAR, it will respawn all the more faster after being killed....

To each their own for sure my friend...

Let us define MMORPG.

Ya, to each their own indeed. But that is not what we are discussing, we are discussing the labeling of GW.

You know Ras, I do not really care how you label it. I am going to call GW an MMO no matter how much that pisses you off.

If you feel the need to fight it, please contact MMORPG staff and ask they remove it from the site because it isn't an MMORPG.

I just find it funny we are having this discussion on a MMORPG web forum, and when you click game list, wait!? what is that!? Its Guild Wars! With a 8.2 rating?

You don't say.....

Let us define MMORPG.

Blizzard now is using phasing technology like never before. Some of their quests are amazing. Not to mention spawns in WoW are based off the dynamic amount of players in the area. If there are more players than normal looking for that ONE BOAR, it will respawn all the more faster after being killed....

I changed my mind, I like you.

Let us define MMORPG.

You know Ras, I do not really care how you label it. I am going to call GW an MMO no matter how much that pisses you off.

If you feel the need to fight it, please contact MMORPG staff and ask they remove it from the site because it isn't an MMORPG.

I just find it funny we are having this discussion on a MMORPG web forum, and when you click game list, wait!? what is that!? Its Guild Wars! With a 8.2 rating?

You don't say.....

Dont let him bug you, people like to call GW not an MMO because it makes them feel smart or special, possibly giving them an elitest feeling. Like they are the ones who write the criteria.

All I know is that in the gaming world it is classified as an MMO, so it is.

End of discussion.

Let us define MMORPG.

Donjin please do not butt into a conversation you do not have the reading comprehension to understand.

I will try to sum it up for you though.

When you start a character in wow, and let's say your running around Lakeshire, you have 300 other noobs running around lakeshire with you all killing the same shit around you.

"Sorry DOOD I didn't mean 2 kill teh boar you was attking"

My point was in GW this does not happen, because you don't have 1337 dood running next to you if you do not want him there.

Which personally I prefer.

No need to get all rude and insulting about it? After all I just defended you in this very thread. Thats the thanks I get? lol

Maybe its best players like you aren't around stealing "meh" kills in "deh" noob area because with your attitude, you aren't missed...

EDIT: Now you like me? LOL

I like your panda avatar...so there!

Yeah I know, scroll up, I changed that post but it was to late.

Sorry Ras had me nerg raging for a second lol.

Honestly I am just a jackass in real life, just ignore me.

Let us define MMORPG.

You don't say.....

Oh, so now you are claiming that MMORPG.com is the authority on what is an MMO?

Try to think for yourself instead.

Let us define MMORPG.

You don't say.....

I do think for myself.

I am going to call GW an MMO no matter how much that pisses you off.

First letter of that sentence, I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I.

I means me, as in myself, as in thinking for myself.

I was just reiterating the fact to you that I am not alone in considering GW a MMORPG that's all.

EDIT- Also I would hope MMORPG is considered somewhat of an authority on what is considered an MMO or else they are in the wrong business. I mean why would you devote your entire site and livelyhood to a genre of gaming you know nothing about?

Think about it before you keep looking....

We all have our nerd rage moments..lol

Let us define MMORPG.

You don't say.....

I do think for myself.

I am going to call GW an MMO no matter how much that pisses you off.

First letter of that sentence, I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I.

I means me, as in myself, as in thinking for myself.

I was just reiterating the fact to you that I am not alone in considering GW a MMORPG that's all.

You don't piss me off. Not at all. Call it an MMO all you want, it will be you who looks like an ignorant fool, not I.

I just tried to enlighten you.