Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guild Wars under-rated??

EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

I've just recently experienced a MMORPG burn-out so I thought I'd give GWs a shot. For a first immpresion, I am very satisifed with what I've seen. GWs, in my option, is in a class of its own and almost makes the big MMOs like WoW and LOTRO look bad is some ways. I just recently bought the GWs trilogy, including all three games and the recent expansion for high level characters. I'm new to the series so everything is totally new to me. If I continue to enjoy GWs I likely wont return to another MMO for years. That includes the upcoming blockblusters Aion (same makers of GWs) and Mortal, which I'm sure will likely be along the same MMORPG trend we seen for years.  

Is it me or is GWs highly under-rated? The graphics are well above average, the interface is flawless, and the work and thought put into this game is unbelievable. I've yet to hit level 10+ so I cant say much about mid - end game but from what I've seen GWs is going to keep me busy for many months to come. Looks like I picked up the series just in time to try it out before GW 2 hits the shelves. If I was religious, I'd say it was fate :-) ............... Oh did I mention its free per month? O.O

What are others thoughts on the Trilogy and recent end-game expansion? Feel free to flame or give GWs the props it deserves. I'm only looking for people opinions. :-)

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

Comments

• whatamidoingwhatamidoing Member Posts: 163

I only played it for a little bit and I didn't like it. I can see why others enjoy it but it's not for me. I think the instancing out of everything and the low level cap did it for me. Again, just not for me.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

No.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

I mainly pvp in Guild wars,  I was very impressed with this game and what the devlopers did with  with this game. I am not a fan of the instances, but you don;t get much of that in the pvp areas. I am very much looking forward to what they do with Guild Wars2 with the persistant world and the " mists" zones.  I am  confident they will produce a polished quality game.  

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I believe that the main issue most have with GW is the prevolant use of Instancing.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

You wont' be playing it for years, trust me. If the Lack of a AH and the "instanced world" and the dance partys won't kill ya then the fact that it has a lvl 20 cap, and you can see all the content in about a month will do it.

I play'd that game, and after about a month and a half the only thing left to do is collect little pets....

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    Originally posted by Dewm

You wont' be playing it for years, trust me. If the Lack of a AH and the "instanced world" and the dance partys won't kill ya then the fact that it has a lvl 20 cap, and you can see all the content in about a month will do it.
    I play'd that game, and after about a month and a half the only thing left to do is collect little pets....

Unless you  pvp, and in a good guild. In that case you c an do tourneys for real cash prizes. It is about competition, not about collecting pets . LOL

I normally do not like class based systems, but this one  was really balanced. Required strategy and teamwork for combat.

If you do not like this game, you most likely played it like a single player rpg...

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216
    Originally posted by whatamidoing

I only played it for a little bit and I didn't like it. I can see why others enjoy it but it's not for me. I think the instancing out of everything and the low level cap did it for me. Again, just not for me.

I had the same mind-set for years so I never bothered trying it until recently.  I always had an idea of what an MMORPG should be from playing EQ2, LOTRO, WoW ect. Once I got past that and gave GWs a shot I was pleasantly suprised. GWs is in a clas off its own which is why I dont compare it to the big MMOs out today.

I think most look past GWs not realizing the depth that it offers unfortionately. Hell, I cant imagine playing a bland WoW character since the day I installed it...

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Czzarre

I believe that the main issue most have with GW is the prevolant use of Instancing.

Whats wrong with instancing? I've experienced 0 lag since playing GWs because of it. I was against it at one point but now I'm all for instancing.

BRING ON THE INSTANCING NCSOFT!! WE LOVE IT!!! LOL

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I constantly find myself playing it once in a while, no monthly fees ftw.

It's under-rated because it is a one-of-a-kind in its real genre that is CORPG.

And I really look forward Guild Wars 2, as they've stopped producing expansions and campaigns for GW1, however we see some interesting stuff coming out once in a while because of their major content patches that have not stopped.

Zaishen quests and hard mode are a great example that added replayability in the game for me.

I see no problems with instancing as long as they show us the good points of it. We can actually Vanquish areas - monsters have no respawning. Quests specific-bosses? Once he's dead, you won't see him anymore. There's even the Titan quests which add titans to many maps and it's your task to clean them, they destroy the wildlife and take over the map from their regular monsters. These are things you're never gonna see in the MMO genre (at least until some company tries to redefine the spawning concept and the quest concept).

Plus the missions, a concept completely impossible in a non-instanced environment.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Because the level cap is important in Guild Wars right? I don't think you've played it if you harp on the level cap. I've played it for 4 years, so much for not playing for years. The only point you have is the AH, I wish they had one but it's not a huge deal since gear in the game is mostly for appearances.

Edit: If you like games that are level and gear dominated this probably isn't the game for you. Also if you can't get over the instances part of the game it isn't for you either. I believe those three points are the biggest contention for people not liking guild wars. If they don't bother you (or even prefer a non gear and level centric game like I do, wish more games were like this) than this is a highly enjoyable game.

• Clypto75Clypto75 Member UncommonPosts: 70

I tried Guild wars, didnt like the fact that I couldnt go where I wanted in a MMO. Also the instancing left the game feeling empty even tho it was not. After Nightfall came out, I went to try the game once again. Still a instances world but would sort of let you go where you wanted although some places were still pretty directional. Meaning, you go down paths with huge walls of rocks on both sides.

As for the PvP, I got owned instantly, ever time. As a new player I was up against vets of the game instead of newer players. Didnt really understand that part, but I just chalked it up as a extreme learning curve with a couple seconds to figure out how to play your class.

Honestly, if I could see people out in the area with me while questing I would of liked the game. I knew you could take small parties in Nightfall but I couldnt ever get anybody to come with me. The chat districts were those that reminded me of F2P games, which was a total turnoff for me. Underrated? No, I think not. It just doesnt suit some MMO players taste, and for others it does.

All in all, I just cant justify purchasing their titles when the PvE is not what I enjoy and the PvP is basically the same imo with new classes. No montly fees is probably the reason they can do this.

• Clypto75Clypto75 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by arenasb

Because the level cap is important in Guild Wars right? I don't think you've played it if you harp on the level cap. I've played it for 4 years, so much for not playing for years. The only point you have is the AH, I wish they had one but it's not a huge deal since gear in the game is mostly for appearances.
    Edit: If you like games that are level and gear dominated this probably isn't the game for you. Also if you can't get over the instances part of the game it isn't for you either. I believe those three points are the biggest contention for people not liking guild wars. If they don't bother you (or even prefer a non gear and level centric game like I do, wish more games were like this) than this is a highly enjoyable game.

Should of read your post before I made mine since its basically touching on what you said. ><

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by arenasb

I play'd it for like I said 1.5 months, got 2 chars to lvl 20, which at the time was the cap. I explored alot, build a guild, got a guild hall.

Anyways I was playing it right after I play'd FFXI, and I was expecting a MMO. which it is not, its a semi-co-op rpg, and if you play it just as that, its decent.

How you spent 4 years on it is way beond me....anyways..yeah.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Well Guild Wars is not a mmo but it is still one of the best games I ever played and still play. It may or may not be I am not sure but Guild Wars 2 will have a persistent world outside with only missions and dungeons isnatnced. Guild Wars 2 will be more appealing to mmo gamers.

• WavinstriderWavinstrider Member Posts: 24

When the NGE hit SWG I quit and started playing GW and have been playing until recently.   It took me years to get tired of it, but finally I did and now I am looking for a good sandbox game again. (waiting for Earthrise)

There are plenty of things to do in GW even after you hit 20...experiment with different builds, or make your own unique build, experiment with different team builds and skills for your heros, go for Titles that you like, get good at trade and get rich :) If you get bored with that, start a new character with a new profession. Rinse and repeat.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Well Guild Wars is not a mmo but it is still one of the best games I ever played and still play. It may or may not be I am not sure but Guild Wars 2 will have a persistent world outside with only missions and dungeons isnatnced. Guild Wars 2 will be more appealing to mmo gamers.

Guild Wars 2 is supposed to be a persistant world yes. It also will have the skill system or something very similar (but they said less overall skills available, which is good as it easier to balance). I am wondering how this will work out, it's one of my personal most anticipated games. I just wish they put out some more info on it.

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667

Why people still insist that GW is not an MMORPG.

Let us define MMORPG.

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

Alright

Massive. Check, GW is as massive in content as many other MMO's on the Market. In regards to content and players.

Multiplayer. Check, Last I checked GW was pushing something like 2 million players. It qualifies as Multiplayer.

Online. Check, says right on the box, online broadband required to play.

Role Playing, Check, it is set in the typical fantasy realm as all other MMO' that qualify as RPG, minus the elves.

Game, Check, pretty sure GW is a game since it is hosted here on MMORPG.com, even has it's own section like the rest!

So what about GW doesn't qualify it as a MMORPG. Nothing, it may have instances, then again so does AoC. AoC is till considered a MMO though. So is GW.

That being said. GW isn't under-rated, GW is just old. I still play it from time to time, and also buy any new content it comes out with even though I do not play it full time.

GW is a linear RPG in a Multiplayer setting, meaning most of the game leads you down a set path. This turns some off, however the story is so good in GW, that the month or 2 you will spend going down the path always feels like an epic journey.

GW unlike other MMO's actually takes skill and thought. Whelp there goes 80% of the MMO players right there. Anything that isn't shiney purple, instant gratification, or takes some decent thought, they don't like.

GW is a truely great game, and it deserves the success that it has had. I do also agree with you OP that GW is in a league all it's own.

GW is what it is, you either like it or hate it, but I still believe it is a great game.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Guild Wars has many things that really put me off about it..

• Lack of real crafting
    • The game world is divided into zones
    • Even the main cities have different instances
    • You dont ever run into other players when you are out adventuring.
    • Lack of open areas. The geography eventually funnels you into a swirling door to the next zone
    • Invisible walls everywhere.

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

Well, GW isn't an MMO, if it is MMO's you wanna play, you have to keep looking.

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651
    Originally posted by skydragonren

Let us define MMORPG.
    Alright
    Massive. Check, GW is as massive in content as many other MMO's on the Market. In regards to content and players.
    Multiplayer. Check, Last I checked GW was pushing something like 2 million players. It qualifies as Multiplayer.
    Role Playing, Check, it is set in the typical fantasy realm as all other MMO' that qualify as RPG, minus the elves.
    Game, Check, pretty sure GW is a game since it is hosted here on MMORPG.com, even has it's own section like the rest!

So what about GW doesn't qualify it as a MMORPG. Nothing, it may have instances, then again so does AoC. AoC is till considered a MMO though. So is GW.

That being said. GW isn't under-rated, GW is just old. I still play it from time to time, and also buy any new content it comes out with even though I do not play it full time.
    GW is a linear RPG in a Multiplayer setting, meaning most of the game leads you down a set path. This turns some off, however the story is so good in GW, that the month or 2 you will spend going down the path always feels like an epic journey.
    GW unlike other MMO's actually takes skill and thought. Whelp there goes 80% of the MMO players right there. Anything that isn't shiney purple, instant gratification, or takes some decent thought, they don't like.

GW is a truely great game, and it deserves the success that it has had. I do also agree with you OP that GW is in a league all it's own.
    GW is what it is, you either like it or hate it, but I still believe it is a great game.

it is a multi-player hacknslash persistent world more than a standard MMO. It is an acquired taste, in respect to that it is like EvE - a good, even great, game that is not for everyone.

Let us define MMORPG.
    Alright

How about the GW devs themselves claiming that GW is NOT an MMO?

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Short answer: Yes. Read the rest for a long answer.

The thing is that many think that levels somehow equals content and that GW's content therefore is lacking. They hit max level and don't realize that they've just essentially finished the tutorial to the game, because the actual content is done at max level. Really, they could've skipped levels completely and would probably have made a better game.

Many complain about instancing, but why? The most players just play solo anyways, so what does it matter if there's instancing or not? The game can be made more around you and your quests with instances, you won't have people stealing mobs and ones you've killed a monster it will remain dead. And there's places where you need to group with players, so you can't blame that either. Hell you have to be in a group all the time, if you then pick NPCs or players to follow is your choice. People say "too much instancing" as if that alone was an argument for a game being bad, but they fail to mention why instancing is bad.

The game's skill system and the fact that you'll always be grouping is also something that many find different from other MMOs, different any other MMO I believe. They start GW expecting a free WoW and find that it's different from any other MMO!!! In so many aspects too, then they simply decide they dislike it without giving it a try. I think that's the problem too, that people give up too fast when they don't find the generic MMO they were expecting.

If it's content you want then you got 4 different campaigns to do, in both Normal- and Hard Mode. Multiple Elite Missions featuring much harder monsters and pretty much requiring you to play with players. Vanquish areas, i.e. kill all monsters in an area in HM. On top of that you got titles to collect and different expensive and hawt armors to get. And then you've not even started PvPing... The game's content may've been lacking when Prophecies came out, but now with 2 more games and 1 expansion there's enough content to keep you occupied for a long long time.

Originally posted by Clypto75
    I tried Guild wars, didnt like the fact that I couldnt go where I wanted in a MMO. Also the instancing left the game feeling empty even tho it was not. After Nightfall came out, I went to try the game once again. Still a instances world but would sort of let you go where you wanted although some places were still pretty directional. Meaning, you go down paths with huge walls of rocks on both sides.As for the PvP, I got owned instantly, ever time. As a new player I was up against vets of the game instead of newer players. Didnt really understand that part, but I just chalked it up as a extreme learning curve with a couple seconds to figure out how to play your class.Honestly, if I could see people out in the area with me while questing I would of liked the game. I knew you could take small parties in Nightfall but I couldnt ever get anybody to come with me. The chat districts were those that reminded me of F2P games, which was a total turnoff for me. Underrated? No, I think not. It just doesnt suit some MMO players taste, and for others it does.All in all, I just cant justify purchasing their titles when the PvE is not what I enjoy and the PvP is basically the same imo with new classes. No montly fees is probably the reason they can do this.

The most non-sandbox MMOs are all as "locked" as GW is when it comes to how much you can explore and where you can go. When it comes to how linear the game is you must also be finding all other (non-sandbox) MMOs linear since they're all pretty much corridors from here to there.

Regarding the PvP all I can say is: what? First of all there's the Zaishen who - while they're not exactly as good as players - feature a decent challenge and gives you the ability to give you a decent idea of your class. After that you'll start with RA where there will be a decent player in every 10th game. Some learning curve is to be expected, and if you've played versus the Zaishen and done some PvE - as it's the true tutorial to the very game - you shouldn't have much problem to get into the PvP.

And calling the PvP the same is dumb. The very basics of GW makes the PvP different from any other MMO. RA - which is probably all you ever tried - is fairly traditional due to the fact that it's unorganized. But TA - which essentially is organized RA - is already five leagues ahead of any other game. The sheer amount of tactics and skill involved combined with the fact what build you and your team mates run makes a huge difference makes it much different. I can't say that I've ever found any other MMO where so much depends on what build you and your companions run and how good you are at using your respective builds.

Conclusion of it all is that I think GW is seriously underrated because it's different. It's like a diamond lying amongst stones, and people thinking it's ugly because it shines too much.

Let us define MMORPG.

It is MASSIVELY! Not Massive!

And the Massively refers to the Multiplayer part, not to content or whatever. Small instances with 16v16 or 32v32 is NOT massive in multiplayer terms, it is standard multiplayer.

And this is the exact reason whay GW is not MMO, and this is why the GW devs themselves have said that it isn't MMO.

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667

Yep, what Godliest said.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

If you like MMO style PvP in arenas AND you're into clan matches, its great.  Thats what its all about.   If you like a full featured, large, immersive world with deep PvE, forget about it.  Its basically an online FPS with a town to run around in, instead of a lobby.  The private zones with NPC group mates did nothing for me.  The combat system just isn't good enough playing alone with bots.

Personally, the instancing kills any immersion there is and I've long outgrown the whole clan match epeen thing.