Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok, sad news... so what shall we play now?

Since I stopped playing WoW 2 years ago, I've been looking for another MMO that suits 'me' - my gameplay style, social requirements, atmosphere, etc. I thought I'd finally found it with TCOS...  and a free to play micro-transaction game is at the opposite end of what I consider a great MMO.

Despite what some say, I really like the Unreal engine. I love the 'Terry Pratchet' style universe, the idea of shards, the lore, and the wierd looking characters.

That said... what shall I try next?

I've played AoC - Great graphics, still too glitchy for my liking.

LOTRO - Fantastic... but to be honest, I'm looking for something new (like TCOS)

Guildwars - It's a good game, but until GW2 is out it's not really for me.

Warhammer online - Too much like WoW for my liking.

EVE online - Not my cup of tea

At the moment I think it'll have to be LOTRO, but what I liked about TCOS was the very atmospheric world, friendly community, and absence of elves, dwarfs and orcs!

What will you be playing next?

Comments

• rr2realrr2real Member Posts: 448

Earthrise or Mortal online

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

If you liked Spellborn's combat then check out D&D Online. Its the only game that comes close to the feel of Spellborn's combat system. Its not new, but there will be a ton of new players in a few weeks.

Another possiblity is Fallen Earth. It is just as immersive. There are a lot of cool and interesting features in that game.

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by sfraden

Try out Runes of Magic, its a F2P title, but trust me, you wont regret it.  Better than WoW and Spellborn.

Better than WoW, was that a joke :/

• ninetails9993ninetails9993 Member Posts: 5

I'm downloading Atlantica Online at the moment, as I think it's worth a look!

Something that I am looking forward to is Aion from NCsoft. I just feel it's time for something different... no elves or dwarfs, and more effort into the atmosphere and in-game world.

How many of you will still play TCOS regardless of the news?

• Clypto75Clypto75 Member UncommonPosts: 70

Honestly, I have just kept playing WoW until something else comes. I have purchased alot of the games you list only to find they are exact copies of WoW or just not for me.

Agree with you on Guild Wars.

Lotro, while a very nice game lacked character to me. The music often put me to sleep as well. Entering Bree was like a power point presentation at times as well which was very annoying. Starter zones often felt deserted, although it could of just been the realm I picked.

Looked at Warhammer but I dont think it will suit me either.

Never touched Eve as Im not a SCI FI MMO person, space and all that isnt really for me.

RoM(Runes of Magic) was ok for a F2P game, the mobs lacked designed in the starting areas (I didnt get very far) which kinda put me to sleep.

AoC, this was the only game I actually had hope for. Once out of their starting area though I felt betrayed. I was also a ATI user so my frames were horrid, I had to leave the game.

Everquest 2, empty starting areas. Dull questing.

Vanguard... I dont even know what to say about this game at launch. Is it dead yet?

I pretty much stopped purchasing games after AoC. Tired of handing out 50 bucks on games I already play or games I find to not be what I thought they were. (which may or may not be my fault) 

I looked at MO. MO, to me looks like DFO with better graphics and we all know what is going on with DFO atm. Fanboy/hater paradise. Also, they snubbed me out of beta! :( Or maybe its just not going on atm, dont know.

Aion, looks promising but Im waiting til its released to see if the positive outweighs the negative. I have liked what I have seen in several videos, so it may be something Im going to play in the future.

The other two games I am eagerly awaiting are not real MMOs however. I hope they come out REAL soon but have a big doubt they will. Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 people. These are the games that actually made me go out and purchase my first computer, a awesome AMD 500mhz! I cant tell you how many hours I sunk into SC and Diablo I and II. Im also waiting to hear the new MMO Blizzard is working on. Hate em or love em, they do make great games. They may eff em up years later but when they drop their new titles, its as good as gold to me.

• notercnoterc Member Posts: 5

I know many players from the eu community will probably end up on LOTRO, as a Forsaken God member I can say we are trying it right now on Snowbourn, with some members of Forsaken Prophets & Shardship troopers.

But, we're also keeping an eye on other games such as MO & Aion that are coming soon...

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

Well some great looking games that are to be released soon are:

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Final Fantasy XiV Online

Earthrise

Mortal Online

Other than that, the North American Darkfall Server goes live monday, you should definitely look into that. THey just added a huge patch that brought in player housing and can villages. 

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

Well since my last post, I installed Atlantica Online .... launched it.... nearly vomited.... uninstalled it.

Back to LOTRO for the time being then!

I'm curious, what are Blizzard working on?  Is there any news or official sites on this?  It should be interesting as they certainly have the funding to make a damn good game!

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by l9nux

I'm curious, what are Blizzard working on?  Is there any news or official sites on this?  It should be interesting as they certainly have the funding to make a damn good game!

The only thing we know is it's a new IP... that is it. The Next Blizzcon we will probably hear more on it.

I waiting on Aion myself, I played the Chinese version enough to to go ahead and pre-order the CE of it.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319
    Originally posted by Ozreth

Final Fantasy XiV Online
    Earthrise

Mortal Online

Other than that, the North American Darkfall Server goes live monday, you should definitely look into that. THey just added a huge patch that brought in player housing and can villages. 

They way you use the word 'soon' implies that you must be a PR manager or something. We'll be lucky to see any of those games before 2010. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple were pushed as far back as 2011.

Then we'll only have a year to play them before the bottom falls out on this sinking ship called earth.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

These "soon" games might come after the earth is destroyed, so sorry, won't be able to play them. 

• MelanaMelana Member Posts: 32

I stay in spellborn =)

need no other game

I'd love to stay in Spellborn, but what is going to happen to the game prior to 2010?    I can't see any further updates with no developers, so I guess it's going to remain 'as is' and that is being optimistic!

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Originally posted by Aganazer

Originally posted by Ozreth

Final Fantasy XiV Online
    Earthrise

Mortal Online

They way you use the word 'soon' implies that you must be a PR manager or something. We'll be lucky to see any of those games before 2010. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple were pushed as far back as 2011.

Then we'll only have a year to play them before the bottom falls out on this sinking ship called earth.

We are more than half way through 2009, so I consider 2010 soon considering these games have already been in development and announced (other than ff14) for a few years now.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• MinoziMinozi Member Posts: 49

You might want to take a look at Global Agenda.. Im not sure if it is what you are looking for (or if it is what I think it is) but so far, thats the only game that interested me :)

At least they have an FPS combat system ;)

• KozomKozom Member Posts: 121

i have tried most of the major mmos outhere and my advice is you try wizard 101, nothing else worth it out there. 

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

I feel your pain OP. I loved TCOS. Lead a huge guild (Riders on the Storm) and all, got really immersed in the game. Shame it went out the way it did.

Right now I'm playing AOC and loving it, it's been cleaned up a lot since launch.

Riders has expressed interest in DDOU so I may follow my guild there. I also got into the beta of Champions Online, my account goes active August 1 (I can say this openly since I won't sign the NDA until August 1st) so I'll see how that goes.

I already played AION for about 2 months on Chinese Retail. I just felt like I'd played the game already. Just too similar to WoW and quite frankly nowhere near as good.

Pretty much everyone I've talked to (including almost all of my guild) is just killing time until The Old Republic ships. That's the MMO that might rekindle the old fires again.

Let us know where you end up OP. When I reestablish Riders in TOR I'd love to get as many Spellborn players as possible. They were a real good bunch for the most part.

• MelanaMelana Member Posts: 32

there is imo no game like spellborn...

maybe only AoC but the atmosphere there is nothing compared to Spellborn.

It's probably not surprise that I've ended up back in AoC (PvP Fury server). It's actually had a lot of improvements and this time round I'm really enjoying it. I've not joined a guild yet, but will do eventually as I want to get more into the social aspect of it.

Maybe see some of you in AoC!