Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online - "Combat Beta" Reviews

2»

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by rav3n2

Originally posted by thinktank001

Originally posted by Scoorge

It is not a paid beta. You can still apply to the random selection which is already going on for quite some time.
    www.mortalonline.com/beta/

/facepalml

There are no plans for non-paying beta players. If you are not already playing beta, then you will have to buy a beta spot.  However, things may change in the future.

How do you suppose those people reviewed the beta, they were randomly chosen to participate, anyone can still be chosen using that method, unlikely but you can, ofc they are counting on the people who preorder to join, but again no one is forcing you to pre-order to get into the beta, and for the most part its not a free preeview its work, its giving feedback to the developers on the kind of game you want to play, so in your case its probably best to wait until release.

It wasn't entirely random. Some, like Lachrymoose(sp), were choosen for his frequent well thought out postings on the official forums.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• harmonicaharmonica Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by osmunda

At the moment, it's not a paid beta at all, regardless of your definition.  The preorders are not til next week, so the current reviews are from  the current totally free beta.

At the moment, no, but I wasn't talking about the present, I was talking about the future. I don't see why you guys are getting hung up on semantics. The point of my post really wasn't about whether it's paid or unpaid, It was about how the two combat reviews reveal that the game still has a long ways to go and once this July Beta (paid or not) goes live, if it's THAT raw, it may turn off a few people.

First impressions, beta or not, are important to the masses.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by harmonica

At the moment, no, but I wasn't talking about the present, I was talking about the future. I don't see why you guys are getting hung up on semantics. The point of my post really wasn't about whether it's paid or unpaid, It was about how the two combat reviews reveal that the game still has a long ways to go and once this July Beta (paid or not) goes live, if it's THAT raw, it may turn off a few people.

Doesn't the p2p beta start in september or august when the pre-order boxed sets are shipped?   I thought they still had 1 or 2 months of closed beta testing.  

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

Hmm it sounds very promising. I will try get a beta key/preorder.  

But I do expect it to be beta state ... still alot to fix and an unpolish game.

The most important for me is to see this game is on track creating a great game. Then I will be loyal and test like hell.

• jaspr180jaspr180 Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by thinktank001

Doesn't the p2p beta start in september or august when the pre-order boxed sets are shipped?   I thought they still had 1 or 2 months of closed beta testing.  

If you pre-order the game and are in the first 2000 orders you will get invited approximately a week after you pay.    The first people may have 3months or so of beta.     Later beta invites will have less and less time.    The box's will be shipped out late but everyone can still do the digital download.     It looks to me like SV is going for the route of trying to beta all 10,000 people on the server for up to a month.   If anything the servers will be ready for mass numbers of people at launch. 

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by sandolainen

Am I the only one who was discouraged by these reviews? Especially the 2nd one.
    The part where he says "it was very easy to start criticizing Mortal Online for being worse than Crysis, Oblivion, Mount and Blade, Age of Chivalry or any other game, but the fact that this is an MMO must always be remembered" sounds like he's making some excuses for some lackluster features (seems like PvP)?
    I know the game is in the early stages, but this paid beta will definitely affect the game's future. With 10,000 people testing it, leaks will be out everywhere and if it's really that unpolished then those leaks could kill the game.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see, but it sounds like next month will be a pretty bare bones game even for a beta.

1. It's not  a paid beta, as you.. well, don't pay for playing. It's simply a preorder that you pay full price for. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

2. There will be no NDA, so there can't be any leaks.

Besides, all this really shows is that the devs are very honest.

It is under NDA. Starvault chose these positive reviews as exceptions to NDA much like aventurine did prior to DF release. 

Unless you can back that up with some kind of link I call bullshit, of course the beta will be under NDA. its already started and its already under NDA.

My blog: image

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793

Am I the only one who was discouraged by these reviews? Especially the 2nd one.
    The part where he says "it was very easy to start criticizing Mortal Online for being worse than Crysis, Oblivion, Mount and Blade, Age of Chivalry or any other game, but the fact that this is an MMO must always be remembered" sounds like he's making some excuses for some lackluster features (seems like PvP)?
    I know the game is in the early stages, but this paid beta will definitely affect the game's future. With 10,000 people testing it, leaks will be out everywhere and if it's really that unpolished then those leaks could kill the game.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see, but it sounds like next month will be a pretty bare bones game even for a beta.

You really do make a valid point. But I would ask you to step back and take a look at something for a moment. Take a look at the quality that these reviewers are saying this game has. I mean... for real.. a crafting system that makes sense? Heavier armor if you put too much metal in it? WTH? Thats awesome! And this also reflects on weapons as well in terms of stamina drain and swing speed and stuff. How cool is that?

What REALLY stuck me as cool is how many slots your character has for armor. One for each glove or shoulder or what have you means you can really start to customize your character how YOU want it to look like. Not just wear the same sholder pad on the other one just becuase they come as a set and you cant mix and match.

This level of detail alone should show thier dedication to what they have been promising. True.. the reviewers have said stuff about issues with prediction a sword blow. But thats cake really... they can fix that easy.

Heh.. i know its hard to have faith in a game when so many before it have failed.. trust me, im jaded like most of the people are on here. But I really think this ones going to soar. Heres to hoping eh? :D

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

It s good to have a deep character customization system. It s also good to have nice skies and nice detailed enviroments to move. After a while though u get used to it and it doesnt make any great impression.

What it IS of major importance thoguh is combat system to be tactical well designed ,addictive and not just a mindless spam of attacks. Lets all hope on launch things are exactly as described by the fellow here.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by tazarconan

It s good to have a deep character customization system. It s also good to have nice skies and nice detailed enviroments to move. After a while though u get used to it and it doesnt make any great impression.
    What it IS of major importance thoguh is combat system to be tactical well designed ,addictive and not just a mindless spam of attacks. Lets all hope on launch things are exactly as described by the fellow here.

P.S. i always loved oblivion /morrorwind style combat and having stamina management /draining in combat is great , i still am sceptical and having rejections on NOT having implement even as an option to use 3rd person view.

Some players like 1st person? Let em play in 1st person..

Some players want to play it in 3rd person? Let em play in 3rd person..

Freedom dudes.Simple as that

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

P.S. i always loved oblivion /morrorwind style combat and having stamina management /draining in combat is great , i still am sceptical and having rejections on NOT having implement even as an option to use 3rd person view.

It has be explained BILLIONS OF TIMES BUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL DONT UNDERSTAND why you only can play in 1st person in MO.

You might read some threads here why 1st person and 3rd person cant coexist in MO.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• LiquidWolfLiquidWolf Member CommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Torgrim

It has be explained BILLIONS OF TIMES BUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL DONT UNDERSTAND why you only can play in 1st person.

You might read some threads here why 1s person cant coexist in MO.

Its not about freedom or a s simple as that.

This is the rule of the game, just like when you go to jail in Monopoly you do not collect 200 dollars.

This is the rule of the game, first person only.

If you need more clarification, i'm sure more people are willing to give you more examples.

Like Clue, you need to be in the room to make an accusation. It's a rule.

Like Risk, you only get to collect cards after the first country you take over. It's a rule.

In Mortal Online you will play in first person view! It's a rule!

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786
    Originally posted by LiquidWolf

It has be explained BILLIONS OF TIMES BUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL DONT UNDERSTAND why you only can play in 1st person.

This is the rule of the game, just like when you go to jail in Monopoly you do not collect 200 dollars.

If you need more clarification, i'm sure more people are willing to give you more examples.

Like Risk, you only get to collect cards after the first country you take over. It's a rule.

Clarification: It's for realism.  In reality, when you go into battle (which I'm sure you really do all of the time, right?) you're not floating 10 feet above and behind you at all times.  They want you to have to be cautious, and to watch each other's back.  They want you to have to fear being ganked while looting/gathering/minining/tieing your shoe/ etc.

• LiquidWolfLiquidWolf Member CommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by madeux

Originally posted by LiquidWolf

Clarification: It's for realism.  In reality, when you go into battle (which I'm sure you really do all of the time, right?) you're not floating 10 feet above and behind you at all times.  They want you to have to be cautious, and to watch each other's back.  They want you to have to fear being ganked while looting/gathering/minining/tieing your shoe/ etc.

no, no, no that gives people license to go "but I want it this way!" and argue about what is better.

The developers believe this is the best way to play their game. So they made sure IT WILL happen this way. Much like the rules set in candyland, Risk, Monopoly, or Clue.

Any other points and additional "insight" are just speculation as to WHY they devs want this... when the basic, ultimate, and uncontestable fact is:

This is the rule/feature that the devs want.

This is how it will be played.

it doesn't matter if you don't understand the WHY of it. It doesn't matter that you like or don't like it. This is how it will be done.

I'll comfort people who are slightly dissappointed about this, but first, before anything else:

You have to accept it. This game is first person. No more buts, whys, or how comes.

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

With all due respect, these 'reviews' are marketing, that simple, to be taken under extreme advisement.

That said, I do wish this game the best.

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

The thing is that these reviews seem totally oriented, i mean really, who plays a game and speaks like he's in wonderland ?

Wouldn't be very receivable as an audit trail.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• GenleoGenleo Member Posts: 100

Ok so they have a couple beta reviews...

of course they are going to show off the good ones right?? how bout they show us some bad reviews!

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Sounds very promising so far and great to read these first experiences. It does sound like there still is an awesome amount of work to do before release, however.

All I hope is that the team won't be forced to rush it to the shelves prematurely because of funding wells running dry.

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by DarkPony

Sounds very promising so far and great to read these first experiences. It does sound like there still is an awesome amount of work to do before release, however.
    All I hope is that the team won't be forced to rush it to the shelves prematurely because of funding wells running dry.

the actuall game release is probbaly another 6 months off. Beta for pre-orders starts in just over a week though.