Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the SOLO gameplay ..

2»

Comments

• OmrieOmrie Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by KingKaio

If you dont have the time to wait for a party in a MMORPG dont get the game. Whats the point of playing an online game just to solo, to show off?

Well, because I'm a fan of the Final Fantasy series, and sometimes I do want to playonline with other people. Other times I don't, and feel like soloing.

I never said I play online games just to solo. I said having the option to solo missions for times that you don't feel like it, would be a good idea. Not just missions either, maybe decent exp rate, etc.

• whatamidoingwhatamidoing Member Posts: 163

I put my trust in SE to come up with good ideas for FFXIV over anyone here or on any other gaming forum, including myself. Chances are the game won't be exactly like anyone here is claiming or hypothesizing, so there's not much point in arguing about it, not until we have more information anyways. I'm sure they'll come up with ways to make different gamestyles viable without sacrificing either/or.

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by whatamidoing

I put my trust in SE to come up with good ideas for FFXIV over anyone here or on any other gaming forum, including myself. Chances are the game won't be exactly like anyone here is claiming or hypothesizing, so there's not much point in arguing about it, not until we have more information anyways. I'm sure they'll come up with ways to make different gamestyles viable without sacrificing either/or.

So we cant discuss it or debate it? Oh, i thought that is what forums were for.... Come on man, this is a place where people would like to discuss a game they love and see what things do stay from FFXI and what wont. If you dont like the speculation then you simply dont have to read it. No offense.

• Gothic0420Gothic0420 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Proximo521

So we cant discuss it or debate it? Oh, i thought that is what forums were for.... Come on man, this is a place where people would like to discuss a game they love and see what things do stay from FFXI and what wont. If you dont like the speculation then you simply dont have to read it. No offense.

I like the debate we are having . It shows we are FF players and like the game (s). Like Proximo said discussing a game on a forums is what this is about. Plus you never know if any or some of this floats its way to someone from SE. Discussing and debating about a game that we like is WIN WIN!

another note. Whatamidoing I`m right there with you man.

[/url]

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Omrie

Well, of course FFXI Isn't an easy game, but forcing people to group up is a bit much if you don't have the time.
    As for the mission running for people who just want to just do a mission with other people, That is all ready in FFXI, and not everyone is able to progress as they'd like because of having to wait for loads of people to join your group and do the mission with you. Consider also you might have work the next day and you don't want to spend half of your free day off just preping, finding members. etc. for a 1-2 hour mission.
    The devs at SE do a great job, and I don't think they'll really run into much problems in making, a mission slightly different for a soloer. It's their job to make the game fun for everyone, not just one set group of player.

Like I said, grouping in FFXIV for missions wouldn't be time demanding. And if you really don't have even 5 extra minutes, you could do something else until you have the 5 extra minutes. No problems there.

FFXI does it wrong. You don't need missions to progress your character- as a matter of fact, you can clear the game without even touching the missions. This needs changing. Search system needs changing too, as well as job structure. These 3 factors together change the whole game upside down. If 'missions' are the thing you do to get levels, you bet players will be lfg for them. If search system is good enough, you don't need more than 5 minutes to make up a solid group. If job structure is better, you won't need specific jobs that are never lfg to progress, you can get just about anyone, making partying a lot less stressful process for everyone. Gathering up won't take 10+ minutes, so if somebody d/c's or has to go it's not end of everything; just get a replacement and he'll be there in <1 min.

You shouldn't think of FFXI when it comes to grouping. Casual grouping is possible, FFXI didn't do it, but it can be done if SE wants to do it.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Gothic0420

Some may just want to solo.

Then why play a MMO? why not just play a RPG. setting forth a mmo to be set to a solo player tears out the MMO and just puts up a game thats not set for a MMO type of play.

You could do a search on any mmo forum from the last 10 years and find 1000 threads where this question was asked and answered.  One answer is that grouping is not everything in an mmo. 

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

People should be able to play however they want. When I group up, I'm not hurting the soloers. But when everyone is soloing, and I'm not able to find a group, it makes me very sad.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ZorakGhostalZorakGhostal Member Posts: 122

IF there is an easy solo option to advance your character then people will take it and grouping will seriously suffer, no doubt. It's just human nature to take the easy way, and then to complain it wasn't easy enough, and that we should be able to dual wield, everyone, and heal and tank and nuke, and solo every boss mob in the game, and not die, ever, and to be able to fly and plant a gil tree that self cultivates and gives us extra skills while we sleep and also you should get a billion dollars for installing the game. Obviously.

I know every game developer out there will try to appeal to the widest audience possible, because at the end of the day it is about making money, but I think this is exactly what is wrong with MMO's these days. It's like trying to start a band that is rock and emo, and metal, and pop, and blues, and country and rap and then acting like you're super rad because you're so "indefinable" but really you just chose to suck at a whole lot of things at the same time. "Try to please everyone and you will please no one." I just hope SE is smart enough remember that.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Whoah there, sparky :-p

They don't say anything about not being able to discuss or debate it. What they're saying is there's no point in *arguing*  about it in any definitive way - ie. who's wrong and who's right - because there's a good chance SE's implementation will be nothing like what anyone here has offered anyway. They do have that knack for coming completely out of left-field, after all.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Originally posted by ZorakGhostal

IF there is an easy solo option to advance your character then people will take it and grouping will seriously suffer, no doubt. It's just human nature to take the easy way, and then to complain it wasn't easy enough, and that we should be able to dual wield, everyone, and heal and tank and nuke, and solo every boss mob in the game, and not die, ever, and to be able to fly and plant a gil tree that self cultivates and gives us extra skills while we sleep and also you should get a billion dollars for installing the game. Obviously.

Ain't that the truth. So many people I see - in many MMOs - are the cause of their own boredom or dissatisfaction. They limit themselves to a specific way of playing, find the easiest way of doing everything... They follow every online guide for every quest instead of solving them themself. They strictly follow templates to build a cookie-cutter character instead of learning the game well enough to come up with their own good build, etc. etc.. They bring higher level players to power-level them instead of earning the levels themself or in a group. They get higher level help with more difficult fights (but still winnable at their level) instead of using strategy and knowledge of the game to defeat them. They skip all the storylines for every quest and only take the ones that give the most valuable rewards... Then they blame the developers when they inevitably get bored. It never fails.

Someone in these forums has already stated they think that your HP and MP should automatically refill after every 1 or 2 mobs so you don't have to worry about monitoring or managing either and could just keep killing. I'm not kidding.

I've seen people demanding that raid bosses be soloable because it's "unfair" to "force them" to group just to take down a boss. Several others agreed it was a good idea. I'm not kidding here, either.

It's getting really sad how players are doing everything they can to reduce MMOs down to a meaningless, empty grind-fest, where leveling quickly and getting "phat lewt" are the only things they deem worthy of any effort - and even then, they want as little effort as possible.

I do have faith, though, that SE isn't going to give them the game they're looking for. It'll be more accessible than FFXI, I'm sure - and let's face it... FFXI has a lot of room in that area without ruining the game. But, I don't think it's going to become another dumbed down, shallow level and gear grind with no "meat" to it. I just can't see SE doing that... not with a RPG bearing the FF name. The depth of gameplay and attention to detail are two signature elements of the FF series, and SE takes that very seriously.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• Rogue_LeaderRogue_Leader Member Posts: 119

I've only played FFXI and WoW so my MMO experience is limited, but they are very different in terms of groups vs. solo play.

I think WoW style solo play would kill the group dynamics FFXI has.  

In WoW I was always pleasantly surprised when people I didn't know actually knew what to do in a group.  In FFXI I was shocked when someone over level 30ish didn't know how to play in a group.

I think instead of using the stick model FFXI utilized (if you try to solo you'll die!) FFXIV should use a carrot.  Group play should be the easier route.  Sure, solo play is possible but group play will reward you with better exp (or whatever they're using.)

I forget what FFXI calls instances, but I'd make the instance mobs solo-able but gives groups a better shot at the really good stuff.  (i.e. A soloer has a 10% shot at a high quality item but a group gets two or three items with a 20% shot for each drop.)

And of course groups should be required to kill many things.  That's true even in WoW.

They could also reward groups in little ways:  

- A stunning view protected by mobs you can't solo.  

- Access to some bits of fluff.  (Fluff = things that are fun / look different but have no direct impact on game play.)

Well, that's all I can think of, but I imagine others can come up with even better ideas.

• whatamidoingwhatamidoing Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by WSIMike

They don't say anything about not being able to discuss or debate it. What they're saying is there's no point in *arguing*  about it in any definitive way - ie. who's wrong and who's right - because there's a good chance SE's implementation will be nothing like what anyone here has offered anyway. They do have that knack for coming completely out of left-field, after all.

Exactly. I actually enjoy reading the speculation Proximo!! I just don't think we should get really heated about it since nobody knows anything although I can't blame you for being passionate :p Personally I would like to see FFXIV still have its primary focus be grouping with a secondary emphasis on viable soloing i.e. maybe a slower xp gain for soloers. However, SE has already stated they won't have exp in the game (at least in the traditional sense) so who knows what kind of system they plan to have for progression and like I said before it may be completely different from what any of us could have thought up.

So I'm very welcome to a game that's significantly different from FFXI as long as it's different and interesting. Like I said, we'll just have to wait and see! And to answer the OP question, yes, I think solo gameplay can completely ruin group gameplay. If soloing is the path of least resistance then it will eliminate the need for grouping and even those who want to group will have a hard time finding one since everyone will be off doing their own thing (plus, even if you like to group more you still want to advance in a more efficient way and not be left in the dust). But (and this is a big but) the afformentioned solo ruining grouplay argument is in regards to a standard MMORPG and if SE comes up with something totally different which is certainly possible, that argument (the argument the OP brought up for debate) won't even come into play.

I completely understood his post. The question is... Do you really see it as arguing or a heated debate? Regardless of what you may call it or if Square Enix has come out with any information. People can discuss this all they want.  Regardless if what we are saying is completely wrong from what Square does. The point of it is that we are discussing something that people have a common interest in. To suggest that we cant because they dont have any information is ridiculous. Again as I stated above if you dont like it then you dont have to read it or post about it. But please do not tell people they cannot discuss something because you said so or because they dont have any info. That isnt the point of why they are posting on these forums.

I completely understood his post. The question is... Do you really see it as arguing or a heated debate? Regardless of what you may call it or if Square Enix has come out with any information. People can discuss this all they want.  Regardless if what we are saying is completely wrong from what Square does. The point of it is that we are discussing something that people have a common interest in. To suggest that we cant because they dont have any information is ridiculous.

Oh my. You're going to be a stubborn one, aren't you.

Okay... let's try this again.

No one is telling you "you can't discuss it". What's being said is.. there's no point in arguing anything about it definitively - as fact - because we don't know what SE's got in mind.

To elaborate...

Debating what would be a good way to go or not a good way to go, keeping in mind it's all just speculation and opinion, is fine. No one is saying "you can't do that". Nowhere is any such statement made.

Even *debating* what would or wouldn't be a good idea is fine, as it requires nothing more than personal opinion. No one's saying "you can't do that", either.

What is being said is, it's pointless to definitively argue points as though anyone *knows* what's going on, because we don't. So, to say "no, you're wrong, they won't do that" (not that you're doing so; it's just an example), or any other similar such argument, is ridiculous because no one knows what SE will or won't do, or how they'll implement anything.

Now that said... You can argue what SE will or won't do all day long as though you know it for fact... It'll make you look presumptuous and foolish... but no one can stop you from doing it.

Again as I stated above if you dont like it then you dont have to read it or post about it. But please do not tell people they cannot discuss something because you said so or because they dont have any info. That isnt the point of why they are posting on these forums.

And again, as I stated before already - and please comprehend what I'm saying this time - no one is saying you can't.

I read the same exact post as you did and understood them perfectly. You seem to be stuck in this "victim complex" mode and refuse to see it as anything but "someone telling you you can't talk about something". That simply isn't happening.

You're defending against statements no one has made.

Originally posted by Palebane

People should be able to play however they want. When I group up, I'm not hurting the soloers. But when everyone is soloing, and I'm not able to find a group, it makes me very sad.

That's the thing.  *Can* that be pulled off?

In my experience, personally and in talking with others who play MMOs.. Anytime there's an option to solo that provides adequate xp/rewards, people will gravitate towards it and avoid grouping as much as possible. Every time.

When ever a MMO includes content that requires any kind of grouping at all... you see an outcry from people who feel having to group to do anything is unfair and that it's being forced up on them; even if group content accounts for only a small percentage of their playtime. They simply never want to have to group up. I saw this in LoTRO quite a lot, especially for the Book Quests.. people complained and complained and complained that they couldn't solo all of them and had to group up... even though the game provides plenty of content that is perfectly soloable.

Even making grouping more "attractive" isn't going to sway the devout soloers. Again... I've seen MMOs implement numerous ways to search for, set up and even gather together as a party... Players simply all but ignored them... because they have no interest in grouping. They'll simply ask friends or guild-mates to help them get it done quick so they can move on.

I think it's going to be extremely difficult for SE to pull off that aspect - making grouping and soloing equally viable and attractive. You're fighting against human nature and people's tendency to prefer one side over the other. Some people simply don't want to group, period. And when those people come up against content that requires them to group up, they take it as a personal offense; that they're being "slighted" and that grouping is being forced on them.

Hell.. even in FFXI, a MMO that is decidedly not friendly to soloers (well, a bit more now, but not some time back), players who were absolutely determined to not have to group up found ways to solo... finding the perfect job combo, the perfect gear setup, the perfect spots to level, etc. Even though the xp was slower, not having to group up was worth it.

I completely understood his post. The question is... Do you really see it as arguing or a heated debate? Regardless of what you may call it or if Square Enix has come out with any information. People can discuss this all they want.  Regardless if what we are saying is completely wrong from what Square does. The point of it is that we are discussing something that people have a common interest in. To suggest that we cant because they dont have any information is ridiculous.

Oh my. You're going to be a stubborn one, aren't you.

Okay... let's try this again.

No one is telling you "you can't discuss it". What's being said is.. there's no point in arguing anything about it definitively - as fact - because we don't know what SE's got in mind.

To elaborate...

Debating what would be a good way to go or not a good way to go, keeping in mind it's all just speculation and opinion, is fine. No one is saying "you can't do that". Nowhere is any such statement made.

Even *debating* what would or wouldn't be a good idea is fine, as it requires nothing more than personal opinion. No one's saying "you can't do that", either.

What is being said is, it's pointless to definitively argue points as though anyone *knows* what's going on, because we don't. So, to say "no, you're wrong, they won't do that" (not that you're doing so; it's just an example), or any other similar such argument, is ridiculous because no one knows what SE will or won't do, or how they'll implement anything.

Now that said... You can argue what SE will or won't do all day long as though you know it for fact... It'll make you look presumptuous and foolish... but no one can stop you from doing it.

Again as I stated above if you dont like it then you dont have to read it or post about it. But please do not tell people they cannot discuss something because you said so or because they dont have any info. That isnt the point of why they are posting on these forums.

And again, as I stated before already - and please comprehend what I'm saying this time - no one is saying you can't.

I read the same exact post as you did and understood them perfectly. You seem to be stuck in this "victim complex" mode and refuse to see it as anything but "someone telling you you can't talk about something". That simply isn't happening.

You're defending against statements no one has made.

Point made and understood. I should have just stated this "so there's not much point in arguing about it". This was my fault and should have clarified. No one is arguing everyone is debating. hahahaha! Thanks for trying to clarify.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

No, I don't think casual friendly content will affect grouping. As for those who do, I don't really see the logic behind it. Are we saying that as ones who like to group we will be swayed from grouping simply because solo content exsists? If so I believe that has more to do with ones own weak will, or perhaps you didn't like grouping in the first place.

Honestly do you really wan't someone who prefers soloing and really doesn't completley understand their role in a group tanking, healing, or dealing damage for you.

I think the rederick and or overhyping of what we wish/want hurts games more than what is actually implemented in them.

Originally posted by Palebane

That's the thing.  *Can* that be pulled off?

In my experience, personally and in talking with others who play MMOs.. Anytime there's an option to solo that provides adequate xp/rewards, people will gravitate towards it and avoid grouping as much as possible. Every time.

When ever a MMO includes content that requires any kind of grouping at all... you see an outcry from people who feel having to group to do anything is unfair and that it's being forced up on them; even if group content accounts for only a small percentage of their playtime. They simply never want to have to group up. I saw this in LoTRO quite a lot, especially for the Book Quests.. people complained and complained and complained that they couldn't solo all of them and had to group up... even though the game provides plenty of content that is perfectly soloable.

Even making grouping more "attractive" isn't going to sway the devout soloers. Again... I've seen MMOs implement numerous ways to search for, set up and even gather together as a party... Players simply all but ignored them... because they have no interest in grouping. They'll simply ask friends or guild-mates to help them get it done quick so they can move on.

I think it's going to be extremely difficult for SE to pull off that aspect - making grouping and soloing equally viable and attractive. You're fighting against human nature and people's tendency to prefer one side over the other. Some people simply don't want to group, period. And when those people come up against content that requires them to group up, they take it as a personal offense; that they're being "slighted" and that grouping is being forced on them.

Hell.. even in FFXI, a MMO that is decidedly not friendly to soloers (well, a bit more now, but not some time back), players who were absolutely determined to not have to group up found ways to solo... finding the perfect job combo, the perfect gear setup, the perfect spots to level, etc. Even though the xp was slower, not having to group up was worth it.

I only asked that if I was going to wait for a party to at least provide me with the option to solo till i got a party. Now my hope was that Square would keep the grouping formula for FFXI and just add the solo content. But you are right, it wont deter people from primarily soloing. Although, I am hoping by what they mean by casual is that if you only have time to kill and cannot devote time to partying then solo is the option for you. But again I cant speak for Square on this matter, that is only my intreptation.

• InayaInaya Member Posts: 27

In my opinion, part of what to this very day sets FFXI apart from any other MMO was the community.  And part of the reason the community was so strong was grouping.  A player could not run around doing the types of annoying, immature things that are considered acceptable in a game like WOW without being added to everyones black list, thereby making it very difficult to group and progress.  There were repercussions for your actions.

Limited solo content to participate in while waiting for a group is a wonderful idea as it beats running circles in Jeuno.  Soloing missions, NM's or anything much more than what FFXI has already incorporated will eventually hurt the game. 

No one is forcing anyone to group in any game.  If the game does not offer the specific playstyle you choose or have time for there are many other games to choose from.  Playing a game that does not reflect your playstyle, then lobbying for it to change just ruins the game for those that have chosen to play it because it does match their playstyle.

Just my opinion . . .

Originally posted by Inaya

In my opinion, part of what to this very day sets FFXI apart from any other MMO was the community.  And part of the reason the community was so strong was grouping.  A player could not run around doing the types of annoying, immature things that are considered acceptable in a game like WOW without being added to everyones black list, thereby making it very difficult to group and progress.  There were repercussions for your actions.
    Limited solo content to participate in while waiting for a group is a wonderful idea as it beats running circles in Jeuno.  Soloing missions, NM's or anything much more than what FFXI has already incorporated will eventually hurt the game. 
    No one is forcing anyone to group in any game.  If the game does not offer the specific playstyle you choose or have time for there are many other games to choose from.  Playing a game that does not reflect your playstyle, then lobbying for it to change just ruins the game for those that have chosen to play it because it does match their playstyle.
    Just my opinion . . .

Thank you !!!!!!! Hit it right on the head!!

[/url]

Originally posted by Gothic0420

Originally posted by Inaya

Just my opinion . . .

Thank you !!!!!!! Hit it right on the head!!

Im not too sure that it will be implemented that way, but.... I would love it, if it was. That is exactly what I was thinking.

• AthkoreAthkore Member Posts: 55

Don't forget that there are EXP chains in FFXI so having a good group would also benefit a lot more. But if you look on some sites, including youtube, you can see people having a good solo combo that can get 1200-1500 exp chains very fast. I think it was that Genome guy who solos very big amounts of EXP. He goes as Monk/Blue Mage or Blue Mage/Monk.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Athkore

Don't forget that there are EXP chains in FFXI so having a good group would also benefit a lot more. But if you look on some sites, including youtube, you can see people having a good solo combo that can get 1200-1500 exp chains very fast. I think it was that Genome guy who solos very big amounts of EXP. He goes as Monk/Blue Mage or Blue Mage/Monk.

Yeah and I met a theif who had a Mandau (level 5 Relic weapon)  who soloed T's for fun... his weapon skill did around 2.5k damage so he could solo merit party.

I think that if they do this right that making more people able to solo won't make less people want to party...

Personally I sit in LFG in WoW all day long and take all the parties I get while I solo...   be it dailies or leveling an alt.  I play MMO's for the social aspect as well as everything else and I think a lot of Final Fantasy players feel the same way.

So when we all finally get a chance to lay our hands and eyes upon this title... I think that the majority of us will be seeking for party the instant we log in, trying to figure out how to do everything together.  Its how I always remembered 11 and I think if people go into this with the mentality of helping each other achieve things that it will be just as group friendly as 11.

Thanks guys/gals.. Great discussion about solo gameplay.

So in note : Just hope the SOLO will not be a WOW solo or LOTRO solo. No soloing bosses or something that would need a party to take down.

[/url]