Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion has 3.5 million subscribers

13»

Comments

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Originally posted by DarkPony

But a Korean grinder like Aion will never get more than 200K subs in the EU and NA combined! .... right?

Sorry, that was a joke. I've read too much of that kind of uninformed prejudice on Aion myself, really.
    I really hope they will do excellent here in the 'west' as well. The more success stories, the more likely that other mmorpg developers get their projects funded.
    And heck ... our societies are built on free market economies with loads of competition in about every niche you can imagine.
    Huzah! for competition between successfull mmorpgs! ... Huzah! ... Huzah!

The thing is, this game is built with an asian theme but more of a western feel for leveling. You can quest up to level cap if you want to, and this game has quite a lot of quests that are not only static, but dynamic also. Most of the fun will come out of the Abyss though, as it is very entertaining and almost DaoC RvR type feel. This is the one game I have to say, NCSoft could garner a lot of western subs with and could be a million+ hit here.

WoW with wings. Not interested. I hope they get 10 millions subscribers. Taht's great, and I hope all the players that get in the game really enjoy it.

But I'm looking for something besides WoW, even if it has wings.

aion plays diffreant from wow

• GraythandorGraythandor Member Posts: 12

Aion won't "kill" WoW, only WoW can kill WoW (which they're doing a pretty good job at).   But Aion has a damn good chance of succeeding in NA/EU -- more of a chance than WAR or AoC, IMHO.  Unless they really screw up the endgame or pvp (which I haven't heard any complaints of from people playing on the Chinese servers), I see no reason Aion can't be in it for the long haul.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

Aion will kill WoW in Asia ROFL!

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by Gameloading

NCsoft knows how to develop a successful game, as Aion has recently reached the 3.5 million subscribers milestone according to IGN.
    Interesting to note is that Aion is the 3rd NCsoft game to have over 1 million subscribers (and  2 million and 3 million....)
    uk.pc.ign.com/articles/985/985368p1.html

Aion is a massively multiplayer online role playing game developed by NCsoft, and since its launch in Asia in March, has built up 3.5 million subscribers. The game apparently has 1,500 story-driven quests, with players fighting in an "epic celestial war", with a choice between two divine factions: the Asmodians and the Elyos.

wow you are so right (and im an idiot).

Here you go read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books#List_of_best-selling_single-volume_books

Look at the most sold books- Quotations from Chairman Mao Zedong writen in 1964 (not even that old compaired to many books) its pretty much one of the most popular books ever written. 

THEREFORE, I CAN CONCLUDE THAT IT MUST BE ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS EVER.

Of course its not, its pretty much trash, and i have read a translated copy. But because if you live in south, middle, or eastern china YOU BETTER OWN A COPY, then well you do.

Aion = asian game so if you live in asia you better play asina games. Sounds bad no?  Same can be said of western games.

The real issue is there are a lot of asian mmos but very few of any quility. So if a 1/2 decent one releases then of course many people will play it.

Simple logic and understanding of social factors should tell everyoen your argument is just so weak and baseless, however, you still felt the need to do it.

Shame on you.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by bobfish

... ...

I wonder how many people just don't want to accept that a Korean company can do what everyone since Blizzard has failed to do? :)

Maybe because most of us realize Asian games are still too much about e-peening, not actually accomplishing anything worth while

Luck for Asian game makers, that the younger and younger generation in the west are more and more about e-peening because they are a bunch of dribbly wusses, that want big swords (basically all ff warriors, including their ability to critically think). And while they will not say it out loud when they get their shiny swords they think it, " LOOK MOMMY IM SPECIAL". And i do have to agree they are "special".

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

... ...

I wonder how many people just don't want to accept that a Korean company can do what everyone since Blizzard has failed to do? :)

Maybe because most of us realize Asian games are still too much about e-peening, not actually accomplishing anything worth while

Luck for Asian game makers, that the younger and younger generation in the west are more and more about e-peening because they are a bunch of dribbly wusses, that want big swords (basically all ff warriors, including their ability to critically think). And while they will not said it out loud when they get their shiny swords they think it, " LOOK MOMMY IM SPECIAL". And i do have to agree they are "special".

Please explain to us how you have manged "actually accomplishing anything worth while" in WoW?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

... ...

Luck for Asian game makers, that the younger and younger generation in the west are more and more about e-peening because they are a bunch of dribbly wusses, that want big swords (basically all ff warriors, including their ability to critically think). And while they will not say it out loud when they get their shiny swords they think it, " LOOK MOMMY IM SPECIAL". And i do have to agree they are "special".

lol... duh.  What MMO doesn't have something that boosts a person's ego?  I have never been affected by this because I don't care about being the biggest bad ass in the world, especially in a game.  Regardless of that, every MMO I've played have hard to get items that cause people to think they're cool. 

As for all the shiny big swords, I'm a fan.  I love over the top animations, items, etc.  It's much more entertaining when things are over the top.  I guess you don't watch any movies, only documentaries or something.

Please tell me why im glad most of the e-peeners are playing wow atm.

Wow has 3 player types:

1) Epeeners - they like shiny stuff. their modus operandi is get big stuff flex it, feel like you matter in life.

2) Casual gamers- they are playign cuz lots of other people around them do (the majority of players in WoW as well as Aion)

3) community players - they play because they have a rather tight nit group pf friends and wows massive numbers support influx of rl issues to bring new friends when old ones need to do other things.

Then the other who play for other reasons, try it out, etc.

So your accomplish something players may play wow under another setting, often then community players. But how does Wow rank? On this site where is it ranked? As i said before and you seemed to totaly miss, lots of people doesn't equal good. Never has, never will.

Ill support my arguement with one better and far more logical than the Op's, Most German people supported Hitler that means he was good. (At least historically wise, a person can make that arguement and support it with facts. The facts would not be the number of people who supported him but why they supported him. The same goes for this case 3.5 mill subs means nothing because it says nothing by itself, the same goes to say that due to the large number of people it "could or is more likely" to be a good game, but its not definitive).

You welcome for i freely give out lesson on thinking logically.

Just like you somehow got the idea that, well if he is talking about western mmos he must be talking about WoW.

Having said this however, i must point out starting off (4-5 m after the release) in wow was much different than it is now and that strong force allowed it to morph into a p.o.s.

Having said all of this i did not say aion was going to be bad, it is just not going to be considered mmo greatnessby western mmo players (at least not the old guard).

Originally posted by templarga

Unless you have a very broad interpretation of "worthwhile", you cannot accomplish anything "worthwhile" in any computer game or MMO.

At the most, someone might pickup some social skills or typing skills, but that is far and away from being "worthwhile".

Just as a point of fact in today's world, what could be more worthwhile than typing skills (which i sorely lack).

PS the shiny swords doesn't mean shiny swords, it means phat leewtz.

• MustaphaMondMustaphaMond Member UncommonPosts: 341
    Originally posted by templarga

Originally posted by madeux

... ...

Luck for Asian game makers, that the younger and younger generation in the west are more and more about e-peening because they are a bunch of dribbly wusses, that want big swords (basically all ff warriors, including their ability to critically think). And while they will not said it out loud when they get their shiny swords they think it, " LOOK MOMMY IM SPECIAL". And i do have to agree they are "special".

Please explain to us how you have manged "actually accomplishing anything worth while" in WoW?

Unless you have a very broad interpretation of "worthwhile", you cannot accomplish anything "worthwhile" in any computer game or MMO.

At the most, someone might pickup some social skills or typing skills, but that is far and away from being "worthwhile".

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head.  Progressing through MMO's affords nothing worthwhile.... absolutely nothing at all.  Just an utter waste of time. XD

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Please tell me why im glad most of the e-peeners are playing wow atm.

Wow has 3 player types:

1) Epeeners - they like shiny stuff. their modus operandi is get big stuff flex it, feel like you matter in life.

2) Casual gamers- they are playign cuz lots of other people around them do (the majority of players in WoW as well as Aion)

3) community players - they play because they have a rather tight nit group pf friends and wows massive numbers support influx of rl issues to bring new friends when old ones need to do other things.

Then the other who play for other reasons, try it out, etc.

So your accomplish something players may play wow under another setting, often then community players. But how does Wow rank? On this site where is it ranked? As i said before and you seemed to totaly miss, lots of people doesn't equal good. Never has, never will.

Ill support my arguement with one better and far more logical than the Op's, Most German people supported Hitler that means he was good. (At least historically wise, a person can make that arguement and support it with facts. The facts would not be the number of people who supported him but why they supported him. The same goes for this case 3.5 mill subs means nothing because it says nothing by itself, the same goes to say that due to the large number of people it "could or is more likely" to be a good game, but its not definitive).

You welcome for i freely give out lesson on thinking logically.
    Just like you somehow got the idea that, well if he is talking about western mmos he must be talking about WoW.
    Having said this however, i must point out starting off (4-5 m after the release) in wow was much different than it is now and that strong force allowed it to morph into a p.o.s.
    Having said all of this i did not say aion was going to be bad, it is just not going to be considered mmo greatness.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say.  If your point is to say that 3.5 million subs doesn't equal a good game, then just say it.  If that's what your message is, I agree with you.  What does  E-peeners, casuals, and community players have to do with this?  I'm don't understand your point about Hitler either. 

The fact is people play games for different reasons.  People like different things.  Who are you to say what people should and shouldn't like?  I don't like people who think they're cool in game because they have the best gear, that's foolish.  I do, however, like like "shiny" cool looking gear like "big swords."  Does that make me an E-Peener? No I just appreciate the art direction they took in the game. 

Some of my friends are casual players.  They want to play the game with me, and I want to play with them.  They may not have much time to play.  What's the big deal?  Also, why do you care if someone wants to play a game with a high population? Why do you care if people want to play with their tight nit group? 

Your posts are extremely confusing and I can't understand why you are mad.  What did these players do to you (aside from E-Peeners talking like they're the best... damn that word is corny! haha) to make you hate them so much?  If people think this game will be the greatest, let them think that.  If they want to play, let them play however the hell they want to play. 

Again a shiny sword in relation to the final fantasy warrior means phat leewtz.
    Everyone like cool looking equipment or nice/strong equipment, but some people play games for the reason of obtaining it.
    The reason why i typed so much about 3.5 mill =/= good game, Is because i support my statements with a real world examples (when possible). I like to say something and support my position.
    Futhermore, first off i didn't expound much, and someone reply youza nub , so then i had to post why i felt the way i did.

• lnquisitorlnquisitor Member Posts: 7

We are talking about 2 completely different type of gamers in 2 different markets.

Western gamers was a well developed game that adds something new or different to the experience and will NOT accept an hourly charge, gold farmers or spammers running around.

Asian gamers in general are happier with a lot less imaginative game and are more accepting of farmers, spammers. You want a game that has millions of subscribers? go look up Happy Farmer.  A game where you watch your garden grow and try to steal from other people's garden.

Thank is the example of a popular Asian game.

Just just need some thing to pass the time at their mind numbing job or "school" .

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

NCsoft knows how to develop a successful game, as Aion has recently reached the 3.5 million subscribers milestone according to IGN.
    Interesting to note is that Aion is the 3rd NCsoft game to have over 1 million subscribers (and  2 million and 3 million....)

Aion is a massively multiplayer online role playing game developed by NCsoft, and since its launch in Asia in March, has built up 3.5 million subscribers. The game apparently has 1,500 story-driven quests, with players fighting in an "epic celestial war", with a choice between two divine factions: the Asmodians and the Elyos.

You mean 3.5 million (if it's actually the confirmed number) purchased the game, not actually subscribed.  Subscription retention is the critical point of a newly launched MMO, and no game keeps every person who purchased a copy as a recurring subscriber.  The post would be relevant a month from now when the true subscription number comes out.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

I hope the free entrance to Aion I got from Tabula Rasa was not included in that... because I am not playing. 

Also note that subscribers will also include the people who are on their 30day trial.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

The fictional 3.5M subscribers is related to the Eastern market, so no, you're not included.

• LordDmasterLordDmaster Member UncommonPosts: 130

A quote from that .....

AU: Aion Is Coming

The MMO that has taken Asia by storm is heading to Oz.

by Cam Shea, IGN AU

Australia, May 20, 2009 - QVS International announced this week that it will be distributing Aion: The Tower of Eternity in Australia this September. Aion is a massively multiplayer online role playing game developed by NCsoft, and since its launch in Asia in March, has built up 3.5 million subscribers. The game apparently has 1,500 story-driven quests, with players fighting in an "epic celestial war", with a choice between two divine factions: the Asmodians and the Elyos.

Sorry didn't past all of it....

look at the highlighted part

3.5 million Asian players!!!!!!!!

I need not say anything else.

…..it’s a guideline, not a rule, as players we must remember: “It’s a Game”.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

That number was never verified by official sources = inaccurate.