Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Impressions/Review

This is for anyone undecided about this game...

I have played almost every mainstream mmorpg there is.  HUGE uo fan of 6 years before the changes..  I am big into PVP never really into questing ect..

Anyhow I tried the free trial on Sat night and was simply BLOWN away.  I cannot believe I didn't try this game sooner.  The newbie zone/ tutorials are guess what?  HELPFUL.  I know most mmorpg games I play the newbie zones are boring repetitive and dont have a good story line.  I was amazed that I was reading quests and they have interactive ones with NPC's talking ect.  After getting out of the newb zone I joined a Kinship of extremely nice people on Brandywine.  They answered (and still are) all my noob questions and were nice.  I liked in this game no one gave me gold or some free handouts I was and still am earning it through quests.  I am playing the hunter and I am really enjoying this game.  I have NEVER really posted here but I wanted to implore anyone to try this game for FREE.  I went on amazon sunday night and got the collectors editiion for 30 bucks...  (Sure you can get cheaper)  I just wanted a hard copy but they are also offering 9.99 for the whole thing.  The populations are fine  and the people are friendly and seems like a much more mature crowd.  I honestly haven't even tried PVP or know anything about it but I will report my findings on that later.  I run a quad core with 3 gigs of ram and a 8800 256 meg graphics card and i run on HIGH with NO LAG.  The client is STABLE for once in a game...  The crafting reminds me of EQ2 nothing fancy I've seen so far but keeps you interestead non the less.  (I like the fact I can make my own leather armor for now as I quest) 

I have NO idea about the end game but so far I am level 12 and ventured into Bree for more quests and I am simply immersed.  My fiance even wondered what I was playing as she has never seen me so into a game since UO...  So please TRY it and you will see it is a awesome game.  Also you can SOLO alot of these quests..  One thing i hated about other games taking an hour to find a group and get organized.  Here you can just solo and grind which I really like.  And the main channels are bustling with trade and guild recruitments so this game is not going anywhere...

Thanks

Comments

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

I give about 3 hours before this thread is ruined by the usual lore-nazi/wow-lover haters we all know :)

Nice review btw, don't let your immersion be touched by any negative asshats :D

Cheer up,

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• NurabuttNurabutt Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by DonnieBrasco

I give about 3 hours before this thread is ruined by the usual lore-nazi/wow-lover haters we all know :)
    Nice review btw, don't let your immersion be touched by any negative asshats :D
    Cheer up,
    DB

I was thinking the same thing.

• rock909rock909 Member Posts: 8

Yea I figured it might but I honestly come to these forums to get a indication on how the game is ect.  I think for the people who want an actual review they will pull from it what they need.  I also noticed on the LOTRO forums it doesn't seem like a flame fest (from what i've seen) which is a positive and there is a heavy RP population as well if that floats anyone's boat.  

I must have played almost all day yesterday and night and was just being a noob crafting and question and I was solo for most part and stil had a blast so if you know anyone playing it that will only make your experience much better.  I didn't like WAR and some other because of the heavy reliance of random grouping with asshats and random loot. 

Just exploring and seeing the grass sway and the trees move was an awesome experience on its own.  And having a game that doesnt TANK your computer is always nice. 

Anyone know when the next expansion is slated for?

• NurabuttNurabutt Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by rock909

Yea I figured it might but I honestly come to these forums to get a indication on how the game is ect.  I think for the people who want an actual review they will pull from it what they need.  I also noticed on the LOTRO forums it doesn't seem like a flame fest (from what i've seen) which is a positive and there is a heavy RP population as well if that floats anyone's boat.

Yes, LOTRO's community is very friendly and helpful, it's rare to find a jerk while they are there like any MMO you will hardly run into one.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431
    Originally posted by Nurabutt

Yes, LOTRO's community is very friendly and helpful, it's rare to find a jerk while they are there like any MMO you will hardly run into one.

You know what they say, if you cant figure out who the jerk is in your group of friends, chances are its you!

Originally posted by Arcken

Originally posted by Nurabutt

You know what they say, if you cant figure out who the jerk is in your group of friends, chances are its you!

Well, you can perfectly paraphrase this to MMO's: if you can't point your finger on what's wrong with a certain game for you, chances are it's not the game, it is you :)

DB

I must have played almost all day yesterday and night and was just being a noob crafting and question and I was solo for most part and stil had a blast so if you know anyone playing it that will only make your experience much better.  I didn't like WAR and some other because of the heavy reliance of random grouping with asshats and random loot. 
    Just exploring and seeing the grass sway and the trees move was an awesome experience on its own.  And having a game that doesnt TANK your computer is always nice. 
    Anyone know when the next expansion is slated for?

Well if you mean the next paying expansion, we don't know yet, probably Q4 this year, or early next. We'll see :)

The maturity on these forums is not bad at all, but what you get ingame is even better. Lots of helpful folks, especially if you find a good kinship!

DB

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

I have to agree, I just started playing about a week ago. I am not rushing through this game like I did on all the other MMO's I have played, as I don't feel like I need to get past the "grind." I am having fun right from the start, and currently am a lvl 17 hunter. I play on Landroval and always find people to group with(helps that I am in a kin with over 500 members also :)). I tried the PvMP last night and was a little dissapointed, not at the gameplay but the lack of Freeps. There were about 20 creeps and 5 freeps :(, we just sat and camped. I got bored after about an hour(mostly just explored and did some of the quests).

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Welcome to the game.  Glad you're having fun with it so far. Yeah, I'm having a blast playing this game as well.  It really is impressive how well Turbine has done with this game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

I wish I could have enjoyed this game.  I played it at launch even pre ordered it and got that beta weekend thing before it launch but I just hated the game.  I didnt like how my character started out, and the layout of the world outside of the starting area.  I love the LOTR lore, but I just couldnt enjoy this game.  And I hated how there wasnt 2 factions.  I didnt like how i couldnt be a minion of Mordor.  Maybe its changed.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Originally posted by MaGicBush

I tried the PvMP last night and was a little dissapointed, not at the gameplay but the lack of Freeps. There were about 20 creeps and 5 freeps :(, we just sat and camped. I got bored after about an hour(mostly just explored and did some of the quests).

The Pvp part was an after thought tacked onto a really good PvE game.  While you can be a Creep once your regular toon hits level 10 (your Creep auto starts at lvl 50?), you can't be a Freep until level 40.  That and the Pvp section is tucked away in it's own little battleground area (the Entmoors).  Gives the Pvp'er's something, just not enough.

Originally posted by jjjk29 

I didnt like how i couldnt be a minion of Mordor. Maybe its changed.

It hasn't, still no RvR.  Near as I've seen it's a Tolkien Ent. owner discission having to do with the 'non-hero' things you'd have to do while leveling up as a bad guy.

To the OP; glad you're enjoying it.  It really is a sweet game with so much to do.  Make sure you check out some of the Summer Festival Games going on for a questing break or just drop into the Prancing Pony when one of the concerts is going on.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Good stuff.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Nebless

I tried the PvMP last night and was a little dissapointed, not at the gameplay but the lack of Freeps. There were about 20 creeps and 5 freeps :(, we just sat and camped. I got bored after about an hour(mostly just explored and did some of the quests).

The Pvp part was an after thought tacked onto a really good PvE game.  While you can be a Creep once your regular toon hits level 10 (your Creep auto starts at lvl 50?), you can't be a Freep until level 40.  That and the Pvp section is tucked away in it's own little battleground area (the Entmoors).  Gives the Pvp'er's something, just not enough.

Originally posted by jjjk29 

I didnt like how i couldnt be a minion of Mordor. Maybe its changed.

It hasn't, still no RvR.  Near as I've seen it's a Tolkien Ent. owner discission having to do with the 'non-hero' things you'd have to do while leveling up as a bad guy.

To the OP; glad you're enjoying it.  It really is a sweet game with so much to do.  Make sure you check out some of the Summer Festival Games going on for a questing break or just drop into the Prancing Pony when one of the concerts is going on.

Well I tried PvMP again last night and actually had fun, there was actually freeps playing and taking a few of the objectives. Got in on a raid with around 30 people(2 raids coordinating), and the freeps actually trying to defend the points that they had captured. We ended up winning by sheer numbers, but they put up a good fight for a few hours. The best part was being a Warg and sneaking behind someone distracted and killing them, anyways figured I would throw this out there. Guess it's not busy on Sunday nights, unless this last time was the rare ocasion.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

Well I tried PvMP again last night and actually had fun, there was actually freeps playing and taking a few of the objectives. Got in on a raid with around 30 people(2 raids coordinating), and the freeps actually trying to defend the points that they had captured. We ended up winning by sheer numbers, but they put up a good fight for a few hours. The best part was being a Warg and sneaking behind someone distracted and killing them, anyways figured I would throw this out there. Guess it's not busy on Sunday nights, unless this last time was the rare ocasion.

I don't know if your server already does it or not, but to borrow a Pvp idea from SWG: Try to set up a normal Pvp day during the week - say Sat. afternoon something fairly decent for all the US time zones.  Then post on your servers O-board on Wed prior:  'Moors Pvp Sat at Xpm (time zone). 

Either just start with free for all's at first or list one of the points you want to attack / defend and call on all to help.

Something like that may help in getting the Pvp'er's together at the same time.  As it is now, it seems pretty hit or miss as you found out.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• kiddyno071kiddyno071 Member Posts: 1,330

Been playng the game since closed beta and love it; and still know there are parts of the world I have not seen.  While the PvMP is lack luster it was never intended to be a faction based PvP game; knowing this really helps with the disappointment factor... i.e. if you are looking for a PvP game this may not be the one for you.  As a lifetime sub I will be playing this game until they close the doors.  But I am currently looking for a good PvP based MMO as I do miss that par t  of the experience.

• wyrdaskolirwyrdaskolir Member UncommonPosts: 563

Yeah I didn't know how great this game was until I tried the trial. Many of the quests are entertaining and immersive and I actually read the storyline unlike in other mmos. I am a Darkfall fan and play this game when I get tired of the hardcore atmosphere.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

There will be more Monster play zones as we get closer to mordor. To the point i suspect, that it will become a full game like the free peoples side.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• rock909rock909 Member Posts: 8

Hey all,

I have just hit 20 on my hunter. I am absolutely loving this game right now. With the game I bought I got the free trial and another 30 days included so really not a bad deal at all. I haven't even tried monster play yet as I have been really getting into the books and quests. Not to mention the crafting is somewhat addicting as well. The community is easily the best in any mmorpg to date that I have played. Everyone helps each other and you can get a group very fast. (I just look for ppl near the place I'm questing). I now have access to my first instance that I haven't tried either. The landscape so far is beautiful. The traveling around on foot does get a littlw tedious at times. After playing till 20 I can say I will be sticking around for awhile as this game has definately caught my attention. I am really a big pvper but for some reason the quests actually keep me entertained ect. Mind you I'm not leveling as fast as I possibly can but enjoying it which I think is the most important part.

For anyone still on the fence just try it. You never know you may just like it! I still bang myself on the head I didn't give it a chance sooner...

• gibletsNbitsgibletsNbits Member Posts: 7

Welcome rock! I have been playing for more than a year now and I can tell you that things get even better. I started out with a champ, then started a hunter and loved it. Then tried a Captain and quickly found my new main. When Moria launched my hunter was my main and was at level 50. Within 2 months my Captain overtook my hunter and I maxed him out. The burglar class is also crazy fun and it was nice going back through Bree, Lone Lands, etc.. and doing the quests from a different point of view.

The best part of the game to me is the maturity level of most of the players. Also I like the kin I am in. It provides me with a way to get some dedicated useful help when PUGs do not quite work out. As for the crafting, it is good, but you have to really watch the AH to see what trends are there. What I like about crafting is that even stuff at lower levels can still and there is usually a niche for that stuff as well. Sure there are plenty of people who are putting level 60 gear out on the AH, but if you study the AH good enough you might find that levels 30-50 have less purple weapons or armour. People coming up in those levels still need that gear so there is an opportunity right there.

Oh and dont worry, 35 will come soon enough and that horse will be well received.

• p0psp0ps Member Posts: 19

I think im going to give this game a try, I canceled my EverQuest 2 account 2 weeks ago and im looking for something new.  :)

Whats the most popular server?

• huntersamhuntersam Member UncommonPosts: 210

well ive been playing for a while now with my hunter and im enjoying it . im in a simalr position my station pass comes up for renewal on the 27th and im undecided wether to go with it for another month or concentrate on lotr .

• Aetern-eAetern-e Member UncommonPosts: 77

LOTRO is just so amazing in the beginning zones. Ered Luin, Bree-land and Lone Lands are still my favorite.  Evendim is high ranked, too.

My sub ended right before I headed off to vacation, I'm level 44 Champ now.  Still wondering whether to resub when I get back home or not.  It get's very far-stretched sometimes.  Maybe I just need a break.

Glad you like the game, though. It certainly is an enjoyable one.

• p0psp0ps Member Posts: 19

Whats the most popular server?    PVP or PVE ?  TY in advance.  

Originally posted by p0ps

Whats the most popular server?    PVP or PVE ?  TY in advance.  

Highest population server would be Brandywine. 

As it's really just a PvE game with just a little Pvp thrown in I'm not sure you can call any servers Pvp heavy.

If you're looking for / only want Pvp action LotRO isn't the game to play as you'll be disappointed.  If that's not a biggie for you it's a very good PvE game and well worth a look.