Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Craft 2 Will not support LAN

Absolutely ridiculous...really what is Blizzard thinking?

Here

is the article..

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Pretty retarded, so much for having a LAN party with this game.

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

Everyone gets to buy their own copy and be subjected to ads on battle.net (which they deny, but this is ActivisionBlizzard we are talking about here)

• SmurfMagicSmurfMagic Member Posts: 664

I wont buy it, im not gonna do it.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Im not really sure how battlenet works, but if you have a LAN and someone on that LAN is hosting through battlenet, wont the latency be the same as going straight to the peer if you just lock it down to your LAN buddies?

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128
    Originally posted by Rayx0r

Im not really sure how battlenet works, but if you have a LAN and someone on that LAN is hosting through battlenet, wont the latency be the same as going straight to the peer if you just lock it down to your LAN buddies?

I think thats the idea.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

I figured they were gonna do this with SC2 and Diablo 3 which really sucks.  I figure it's to fight off piracy but it kinda ruined it for me.  I only played Diablo and WC3 on LAN and without LAN there really isn't anything going for me. 

The same thing screwed Hellgate.  They decided to go against LAN and once the servers shut down the game was dead.  At least Blizzard can keep battlenet up but it still will suck .

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by Rayx0r

this is what i was thinking. This just seems like a way to make it so people with a duplicate cd cant play the game. I remember doing this back with SC1. It isnt a huge blow, i mean we were lucky to be able to do that, now we'll just have to actually buy more then one copy.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

It's still SC2. So hell yeah I'm buying.

That said, I think that's a fucking lame move. But it's obviously made to counter people using Hamachi to play with each other.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Dear companies,

If you are going to assume all potential customers are thieves, I'm going to assume your game sucks and I won't be buying it.

Not yours truly,

Future Customer

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Good. One more reason to Not buy the stupid game..

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457
    Originally posted by KoDoMoAsobi

Absolutely ridiculous...really what is Blizzard thinking?

Here
    is the article..

They are thinking "Starcraft was this massively popular cult game, but we've never sold very many copies of it, hmmm", I expect.

I might have been intrested in giving it a go on LAN. Never mind, I'm not a mad Korean RTS guy from the 90's. So I might not notice the game.

Diablo 3 without LAN will be a bit of a loss. Left for Dead was one title I'd have bought for my LAN but didn't support it this year. A pity, that would have rocked as a multiplayer game. I tend not to buy anything that doesn't work on LAN that's how I do most of my gaming.

• KoDoMoAsobiKoDoMoAsobi Member Posts: 21

It still doesn't make a whole lot of sense..

I mean a lan game can be from what..anywhere from 2-12 people?

Oh no big loss there.. Not to mention if any of them actually want to play online..they need their own CD key.

It seems like they're just squeezing pennies out now.

Btw the game looks great..but really its pretty much starcraft with revamped graphics and a few twists.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170
    Originally posted by KoDoMoAsobi

It still doesn't make a whole lot of sense..

I mean a lan game can be from what..anywhere from 2-12 people?

Oh no big loss there.. Not to mention if any of them actually want to play online..they need their own CD key.
    It seems like they're just squeezing pennies out now.

Btw the game looks great..but really its pretty much starcraft with revamped graphics and a few twists.

I think it's more a problem of restricting the use of Hamachi server (which is used for making a virtual LAN over the internet). If you know the right sites you can get IPs of hamachi servers thousands of people use for playing online in pirated games.

• pongaxpongax Member Posts: 26

a complete waste, im giving starcraft2 a go so that me and my friends cud play without loggin online.

id guess i wont be buying this crap now, if ever this is official already

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

I love how you guys will pass your judgement when you know so little about the situation.

Blizzard isn't stupid. They've probably got something under the sleeves.

To flat out say due to one sentence that hasn't been elaborated on your not going to buy the product... Infact your going to complain and rant about the situations.

Thats just silly.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• utamaruutamaru Member Posts: 23

that's too bad. I think its still worth the try though :)

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186
    Originally posted by Briansho

I'm going to assume your game sucks and I won't be buying it.

Briansho, you probably assume correctly. The game looks terrible, and the description of the gameplay is even worse. They have been working on Warcraft stuff for so long that the style of WC has influenced them instead of the other way around.

This is also a confirmation of what people had deduced from a Q@A a long time ago where a high ranking activision employee was boasting about... I can't remember exactly what he said, but the only thing he could have been referring to was in game advertising. They want to force you to use Battlenet to see ads. Possibly DRM in the mix too.

It's bad enough that I had to wait 10+ years for what is essentially the ending to the Starcraft single-player campaign. TEN YEARS LATER! And after buying 3 installments spread out over 2-3 years. If you recall, neither Stacraft or Brood Wars had a proper or ending... at all...and that is something else to worry about regarding SC2. If I bother to get SC2, it will only be after I have confirmed that SC2 actually has an ending to its single-player campaign.

But I'll probably just watch it on youtube.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• AustinsmileeAustinsmilee Member Posts: 125

seriously... completely queer.

so much for LAN parties.

Currently Playing: Earth Eternal (Closed BETA w00t!), Eternal Lands, Magic World Online, ACE Online, Dark Orbit, Dead Frontier, Wizard 101, SpellCasters, America's Army, Dungeon Runners, Runes of Magic, DotA
    ----***I ONLY PLAY F2P MMORPG'S!***----
    (A lot of these games I jump around too, I'm most dedicated right now to Earth Eternal and Eternal Lands...)

• dshowdshow Member Posts: 12

WTH!!!!! why?? what are they thinking??  SC became famous because it is a LAN game.. This is insane..

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

Just think about this, you'll likely have to buy all 3 games to get the most out of multiplayer. You'd have to be nieve to believe they wouldnt add multiplayer reasons for why you need all 3 versions, extra units and the like.