Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MP regen rate is waaaay too slow

RedKhusRedKhus Member Posts: 13

Does this get better in later levels, or will there eventually be items (such as bandages for HP) to restore this?

I don't mind the bandage needs for health, as they are affordable and don't have a restrictive cooldown.  But I'm testing a caster, and after a few fights I have to stand still for several minutes.  In my opinion that is poor design, and slows gameplay down far too much.  

Comments

• HjorhrafnHjorhrafn Member Posts: 14

Do you know about sitting, old-school style?  Greatly increases the regen rate on both health and mana.  There is an action key/button for it under your abilities.  Think NCSoft should put it on new character's hot-bars in place of "pick up item" myself, but it is what it is. 

I'm in agreement though, natural regen is too slow.  Then again, I've been playing both Aion and AoC this weekend, so the contrast is probably making things seem worse than they are. 

Fortune favors the bold.

• Harpy_LadyHarpy_Lady Member Posts: 137

There are potions and various food/drink items to help you recover MP quicker.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by RedKhus

Does this get better in later levels, or will there eventually be items (such as bandages for HP) to restore this?
    I don't mind the bandage needs for health, as they are affordable and don't have a restrictive cooldown.  But I'm testing a caster, and after a few fights I have to stand still for several minutes.  In my opinion that is poor design, and slows gameplay down far too much.  

Being used to L2 I can say that this is just a design decision and not a poor one. Sit if you want to regen faster. And not /sit. That will just do a nice sitting animation. Mages are already the fastest leveling class with this design decision.

I will be playing a sorcerer and I can assure you that this function coupled with some of the skills for gaining mana and food should keep you playing at a decent rate.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RedKhusRedKhus Member Posts: 13

Hmm I tried sitting and even sleep, but I didn't notice a difference.  I'll try again, maybe glitched on my other characters.  

I've looked for potions and food items and tried a few, but they seem very expensive for very minimal rate gain.  

Heh, I'm a Warhammer vet, so yeah, that regen is much faster in general.  I'm trying not to contrast it too much though.  

Thanks for the replies and tips.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by RedKhus

Hmm I tried sitting and even sleep, but I didn't notice a difference.  I'll try again, maybe glitched on my other characters.  
    I've looked for potions and food items and tried a few, but they seem very expensive for very minimal rate gain.  
    Heh, I'm a Warhammer vet, so yeah, that regen is much faster in general.  I'm trying not to contrast it too much though.  
    Thanks for the replies and tips.

no worries. Don't do /sit.

under abilities there is a button for resting/sitting. use that.

edit: oh and it's not like you will see the bar moving faster. You will see a larger chunk of regenerated mana once the time for the tick comes around.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Sitting works. I do it all the time. But go to the actions bar and drag sit to a hotkey. Like previous poster said.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

To rest use the comma (,) button.

At level 10 or 11 you get a mana recovering ability, it requires a dust from general vendor, quite cheap too. I used to use it once after each kill and I didn't have to rest. That was in the previous beta, since I'm not a part of this one.

• TykeroTykero Member Posts: 349

Open up your Skills menu and click on the 'Actions' tab.

There is an ability there called 'Toggle Rest,' Drag that onto your hotbar, or use the default key binding of ',' (comma).

While resting, health and mana regeneration is greatly increased.

This type of recovery is a bit foreign for western gamers, so I do agree that it could use some better explanation in game for the benefit of new players.

-

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

It can't be said enough...

*** DO NOT USE /SIT TO REST ***

The comma [ , ] key is the default key for entering the rest state.

It only takes a few seconds to rest from low to full when using the rest state. If it takes you longer then you probably aren't resting.

Having said that you shouldn't need to rest very often. I didn't have to rest on any of my casters at all, ever.

If you find yourself out of mana very often then you aren't using your skills right. Here are a couple tips:

1. Do not over kill mobs.
    2. Use your most efficient spells.
    3. Use your wand / melee attack.
    4. Don't attack groups of NPCs.
    5. Don't attack high level NPCs.

Aion rewards you for playing smart and punishes you for mashing buttons.

• tuzalovtuzalov Member Posts: 183

Just go make blues,level your sorc till the cows come home.

• RedKhusRedKhus Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

It can't be said enough...
    *** DO NOT USE /SIT TO REST ***

The comma [ , ] key is the default key for entering the rest state.
    It only takes a few seconds to rest from low to full when using the rest state. If it takes you longer then you probably aren't resting.

Having said that you shouldn't need to rest very often. I didn't have to rest on any of my casters at all, ever.

If you find yourself out of mana very often then you aren't using your skills right. Here are a couple tips:

Do not over kill mobs.
    Use your most efficient spells.
    Use your wand / melee attack.
    Don't attack groups of NPCs.
    Don't attack high level NPCs.

Aion rewards you for playing smart and punishes you for mashing buttons.

I was just getting on to say this--you MUST use the comma key.  The sit icon and slash command do not put you at rest.  It makes a huge difference, and now seems to be much more appropriate.

Not sure what you mean by overkilling mobs.  I was only spending about 1/4 my mana per mob at same level or one higher.  The wand/melee is very underpowered and takes an unneccessary amount of time to flip open the book when switching to it in order to inflict very minimal damage, in my opinion.  After root/snare and the opening rotation and first cooldown has finished, the mobs are usually dead or dead after next cast, so I think the book attack is nearly useless in my experience. 

• VABeachDaveVABeachDave Member Posts: 228

/sit just makes your toon sit down. You must use the /rest command or the , or click the icon in the skill/action menu.

Played both sorcerer and spiritmaster. Somewhere around level 10 or so you get 2 different mana regen abilities. They help out a lot. You just have to get used to using them as soon as they are up, even if it's during combat. They do have pots and some food that gives buffs that help as well but I think the two mana regen abilities will do the most for you.

At these levels you can't restrict yourself to certain spells and still live and no one out there has done any kind of tests to see which spells are mana entensive and which are very effeciant yet. I'm certain at some point that will all be worked out.

It was a little rough until I got those two mana regen abilities.

Fan sites:
    AION-On-Line.com
    aionicthoughts.wordpress.com/
    www.aionarmory.com/
    www.aionglobal.com/
    www.aionsource.com/
    www.areyouhellbound.com/forum/
    www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/253
    www.onrpg.com/

Official sites:
    www.ncsoft.com/global/
    www.aiononline.com/us/
    eu.aiononline.com/en/

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

/rest does nothing... but says /rest outloud 

here's the one you drag to action bar

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

From the perspective of a level 19 Cleric, it seems like for Cleric spells anyway, the mana cost of spells don't go up as fast as your mana pool does. Then I suppose that might be a reflecton of gear stats too. Yes natural mana regen is slow, but it takes a while to go OOM and as you get higher level there are more ways to get mana back.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004