Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's considered to be "rich"?

2»

Comments

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

Right now I'm feeling a little well off. I can afford to probably buy 2 HAC/Recon a week now. Gotten lucky with a faction spawn and other things. 

I used to have isk issues before (cause all i wanted to do was PVP non-stop) but I started taking advantage of all the programs my corp offers and doing a little work inbetween gangs. Now I'm more well off than ever

I just make my isk the grindy way via ratting / trade / loot / salvage. Been using my Ishtar to rat. Yeah its gotten that good I risk my HAC in 0.0 when I rat with my best implants on

But you never know. All it takes is 2-3 misfortunate accidents and I can lose it all. This is how this game goes. The more ISK you make, the more lavious your habits become.

What is "rich"? It's all relative. I'm starting to feel rich now though. Before, even though I had HAC skills trained never dreamed of flying one. Now I can afford to buy extras incase one blows up. And if I lose an Ogre II no big deal I go buy 15 more!

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Blackwell99

Originally posted by gholston

5 Billion isk and you have only played 3 months?

I don't believe you whatsoever. The only way you have 5 billion isk is if you bought PLEX cards.

I love EvE but this is the one area that kills it for me.

I remember when seeing someone with a Battleship was an "uber sighting."  Now-a-days there are tons of people with less than 5 million SP cruising all over the universe with ships over 100k.

When i see a HAC or anything else that cost over 100 mil isk---I usually assume that it was bought with RL money.

I can't tell the difference between the real gamers and the imposters. EvE should implement a system where your ships are a different colour or something if you never sold a PLEX.  Without material success, EvE somewhat becomes nothing more than a Wallpaper background for your PC.

sorry but playing 2-3 hours a night, never bought a plex..and i own 3 battleships and a fleet of battlecruisers all tricked out in tech II parts, and i have about 600mil atm. I can show you all my transactions logs if you like.

How i did it? once a week i mass produce some part, like missiles and such, buy out the cheapest seller in the area, and transport all these goods to another section in the universe where there is a high demand. Spending maybe 100mil, i can usually double it an hour just trading.

Or i go ratting in null sec where my alliance hangs out at, or i go run some level 4 with a corp mate or 2.

• Blackwell99Blackwell99 Member Posts: 352
    Originally posted by miagisan

I don't believe you whatsoever. The only way you have 5 billion isk is if you bought PLEX cards.

I remember when seeing someone with a Battleship was an "uber sighting."  Now-a-days there are tons of people with less than 5 million SP cruising all over the universe with ships over 100k.

When i see a HAC or anything else that cost over 100 mil isk---I usually assume that it was bought with RL money.

I can't tell the difference between the real gamers and the imposters. EvE should implement a system where your ships are a different colour or something if you never sold a PLEX.  Without material success, EvE somewhat becomes nothing more than a Wallpaper background for your PC.

sorry but playing 2-3 hours a night, never bought a plex..and i own 3 battleships and a fleet of battlecruisers all tricked out in tech II parts, and i have about 600mil atm. I can show you all my transactions logs if you like.

How i did it? once a week i mass produce some part, like missiles and such, buy out the cheapest seller in the area, and transport all these goods to another section in the universe where there is a high demand. Spending maybe 100mil, i can usually double it an hour just trading.

Or i go ratting in null sec where my alliance hangs out at, or i go run some level 4 with a corp mate or 2.

Sorry when I said bought I actually meant sold a PLEX.

But still you have made all this money on your own accord-and thats great, but a little meaningless when i can drop 40 bucks and sell the PLEXs for 700-800 million isk.

I mean im kind of new with only 5 million SP. But still....How does that make you feel that the 2-3 hours (multiplied by...what...hundreds of days???...dozens of months...?) of effort you put in to achieve some kind of success is completely washed out by the fact that anybody with a wallet (in RL) can easily match your bank accout with no effort?

Listen, I like EvE..but im not really certain if the word "game" applies here in the sense that it does with other mmorpgs.

However I do like the fact you can buy in-game time with ISK...I think it would be better if it were off a NPC or the LP store.

Anyways to the OP--What does rich mean in EvE?

Answer: Not much

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

But still you have made all this money on your own accord-and thats great, but a little meaningless when i can drop 40 bucks and sell the PLEXs for 700-800 million isk.

I mean im kind of new with only 5 million SP. But still....How does that make you feel that the 2-3 hours (multiplied by...what...hundreds of days???...dozens of months...?) of effort you put in to achieve some kind of success is completely washed out by the fact that anybody with a wallet (in RL) can easily match your bank accout with no effort?

Listen, I like EvE..but im not really certain if the word "game" applies here in the sense that it does with other mmorpgs.

However I do like the fact you can buy in-game time with ISK...I think it would be better if it were off a NPC or the LP store.

In that case quit all MMOs because this is the case for all of them. This is why I do not base my success on size of my Wallet. I set various ingame goals - like populating my killboard, helping Alliance take space, helpng corp build new stations, helping corpies out when they need help, and so forth.

I like to think no matter what I am doing I am helping others besides myself.

Lastly, when you become good at this game it should not take that long to accumulate wealth. People dont spend their own $$ because they dont have to.

Spoending all that ISK doesnt make you skilled. Sure, it can help you get into a ship and euipment but I still see people do stupid stuff and lose HACs and such all the time

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by PatchDay

In that case quit all MMOs because this is the case for all of them. This is why I do not base my success on size of my Wallet. I set various ingame goals - like populating my killboard, helping Alliance take space, helpng corp build new stations, helping corpies out when they need help, and so forth.

I like to think no matter what I am doing I am helping others besides myself.

Lastly, when you become good at this game it should not take that long to accumulate wealth. People dont spend their own $$ because they dont have to.

Spoending all that ISK doesnt make you skilled. Sure, it can help you get into a ship and euipment but I still see people do stupid stuff and lose HACs and such all the time

my main toon is 11 mil sp, and 7 months old...i am still a noobie to this game.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by Xennith

grind missions for the first billion, then play the market in the mission hub while grinding more missions?

seems like the easiest way to make cash to me.

Nope

It's actually easier to make the first billion just investing your isk into the market from day 1.  You only run missions to reduce the tax you pay for transactions.  The isk you get from doing that just supplements your trade income.  You can easily clear 1bil in your first month in the game if you pay attention to market and read up on many of the threads with excellent advice on how to do such things.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Won't happen.  Ever.

The way the system currently works it doesn't matter HOW you get your game time.  CCP still gets paid real $$$ for your playtime.  If they sold them through LP store or NPC they wouldn't.  

In the end every account in the game, no matter how it's paid for by the player themselves, is revenue for CCP.  With what you would prefer every alt run through the game time code system would cost CCP money rather than make them money.  Do you honestly think any company on the planet would do that?

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• The highest I ever saw was around 22 billion, but that was mostly a one time thing where a large corp had closed down to move to a new one, and was only held temporarily.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

I played EVE for two years and my wealth consisted of the following:

Maximum net liquid cash = 25 billion isk
    Net worth = 35+ billion or so = consisted mainly of cash and debts owed to me + 2x rorqual blueprints, capital ships, full Amarr t2 ship lineup, and goods and services

The first year i played, I was poor as hell and I did the following:
    - I mined and ratted (didn't play too much with long breaks)
    - 1 year to 1.5 years = i decided to try to make money so i built ships in my 0.0 corp and sold them for profit. It was pretty decent, I also shipped stuff from Jita market to 0.0 corp space and sold at 20% profit.

I made my first billion that way.

1.5 year to 2 years (when i quit):
    I made 1 billion a week (4-6 hours a week of playing) . . . I was a bit lucky in the way I made cash for the following reasons.

- I was in drone region in 0.0 space
    - My whole alliance was stupid as all hell (my corp was smart as hell though)
    - A corp member had a very streamlined shipping process from 0.0 to Jita
    - I had a streamlined transportation system to multiple markets in 0.0 via jump bridges it also helped that the other 0.0 region wasn't a drone region.

Basically I did the following:
    - setup buy orders for high margin/profit minerals, refinables, and salvages.
    - Picked them up from multiple markets in my freighter
    - Brought them to my shipping point.
    - Shipped them to Jita
    - Sold for 20-200% margin

Before I quit, i was going to manipulate the Jita market, but I would have only started with 35 billion in liquid cash. I quit and sold my account for $400 and gave away most of the money . . . even though i would have legitimately sold it like EVE does. Either way, I knew people in my corp who had the following though. Too bad if i never gave away anything i would have come back :(.

Other people in my corp.
    1 guy = over 70 billion in assets
    2nd guy = the shipper = over 100 billion in assets personally financed alliances first titan (i also put in 10 billion isk into)

There was another guy in alliance who made over a billion a week to but he had a network of very profitable PoS's. Like it made mad money but to me the maintenance was too high. My idea was perfect but needed to have the above parameters to function.

Most of my time was spent in shipping or changing buy orders. Sell orders are also effective at times. I'd bring down stuff to sell at times. My alliance was so dumb though they didn't realize that I artificially kept buy prices high in the region, i didn't price gouge as much as could have and I sold in Jita. They accused me of price gouging after i spent a crap load of time and risk bringing down rorqual blueprints to bust my ass to make the first rorqual's in our 0.0 space region and they yelled at me for putting it 100 million BELOW JITA PRICES. They wanted me to sell it at 400-500 million fresh off the boat.

Also, i didn't have many component blueprints, so my operations were really done by others, i just organized it all, it was great. I loved it, i even made over 170 million in lineage 2 legitimately i must say . . . now that was 4 hours a day blah.

Cryomatrix

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by Cryomatrix

Before I quit, i was going to manipulate the Jita market, but I would have only started with 35 billion in liquid cash. I quit and sold my account for $400 and gave away most of the money . . . even though i would have legitimately sold it like EVE does. Either way, I knew people in my corp who had the following though. Too bad if i never gave away anything i would have come back :(.
    Most of my time was spent in shipping or changing buy orders. Sell orders are also effective at times. I'd bring down stuff to sell at times. My alliance was so dumb though they didn't realize that I artificially kept buy prices high in the region, i didn't price gouge as much as could have and I sold in Jita. They accused me of price gouging after i spent a crap load of time and risk bringing down rorqual blueprints to bust my ass to make the first rorqual's in our 0.0 space region and they yelled at me for putting it 100 million BELOW JITA PRICES. They wanted me to sell it at 400-500 million fresh off the boat.
    Cryomatrix

Not to pick holes in that but you CANNOT legitimately sell isk for real life cash in any format or method. You can sell a GTC for isk however but thats a completely different thing.

A proper market manipulation on a large scale needs extreme resources unless you're just looking at a limited low volume sale item thats sold in limited outlets. I've seen a couple of people do one a couple of years back with the reactions market and both could call on vastly larger sums than you're referring to.

The minerals cost of a rorqual alone is 1.143 bn at me 6 (me 40 subcomponents) so your tale lacks a certain ring of authenticity at 400-500. At best you're confusing the rorqual with the orca.

PS: You also just admitted to gouging your alliance so really can't act superior and offended when they point out what you're doing.

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

Hey,

You are right I made a few mistakes.

- By rorqual = I meant Orca. I bought 2 Orca blueprints the first day it came out and shipped em down. So I meant Orca, my bad, i haven't played EVE since December.

- By manipulating the Jita market i would have maybe started with 35 billion, but i didn't know what i needed. I would have probably "tried" buying all of morphite and then setting the price, but i am not sure it would have worked, it was going to be a new challenge nonetheless.

-But the state of EVE is so different now

Cryomatrix

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.