Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Um is this game really that done???

GenleoGenleo Member Posts: 100

Has anyone seen the website, apparently beta is coming out around july 12th... ok thats great right?

have you seen the descriptions of the classes? there are 9 classes but only 3 of them have descriptions...

Have you seen the huge map?? Oh right.. there is only one location so far...

Im so sick of indepdent companies taking on huge tasks they can't  handle.!!!  If you can't do it then hand it over to a company that will actually look like its reputable.

So far this looks like a fail to me, another Darkfall but we will see... in 2 weeks i guess.

Comments

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

But the big companies won't make games like this. So we have to settle for whatever these small companies can make.

• GenleoGenleo Member Posts: 100

Maybe back in 1997 -2000independent companies could get away with making good mmo games like Origin system did with UO or Turbine systems did with Asheron's call, but a company like Starvault can't honestly think that a bunch of amateurs are going to make a game with great fluid animation and graphics, they are kidding themselves.

Plus they aren't even targetting the North American audience.

They took on a task way behind them and you will see this is going to end up with nothing but delays and heartbreaks.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

At least the devs are being honest about the content, about what is planned and what is already implemented. 

• GenleoGenleo Member Posts: 100

dont get mad that im speaking my mind. Judging by your comment i would think you dont have to worry about this game anyways. I'd put you at around 13 and you dont have a credit card or debit card so run along little man.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786
    Originally posted by Genleo

[Mod Edit]

Players like him make me worry about the game much more than any failings the developers might have...  That's kinda why I started my own guild, so I can surround myself with a large group of people who don't suck.  Ideally there will be enough of us to bring some order to a small area of the game and let people like him know their not welcome.

• GidionGidion Member UncommonPosts: 66

Originally posted by Genleo Has anyone seen the website, apparently beta is coming out around july 12th... ok thats great right?

Sure is  

have you seen the descriptions of the classes? there are 9 classes but only 3 of them have descriptions...    

Races.... but what ever  

Rly?... ive seen screen shots of a few different places  

Im so sick of indepdent companies taking on huge tasks they can't  handle.!!!  If you can't do it then hand it over to a company that will actually look like its reputable.    

WTF are you talking about. It's their money and they can do what they want. Who are you to dictate what they can and cant do.  

So far this looks like a fail to me, another Darkfall but we will see... in 2 weeks i guess.  

Its a small firm sure. But in my experience small dont have to = the suck., look at EvE for example. I doubt they will release with a fraction of the content and features the a bigger firm could do. But the core of what will be there sounds like its going to be great. That is also what they are going to focus on in the beta, the core game play .

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

Gidion is Boss

• vaultbrainvaultbrain Member Posts: 122

Has anyone seen the website, apparently beta is coming out around july 12th... ok thats great right?

I agree that Mortal looks like another Darkfall. Does it mean its going to fail like Darkfall is, maybe, maybe not. My opinion, yes, its going to fail. Not as quickly as Darkfall failed, but it will fail. The nudity in game will buy SV some time with the pervo sub fees after real gamers find out how much the game fails, but ultimately, Mortal will join many other MMOs in the reject bin.

But, maybe, against the odds, Mortal will succeed. If it does, then good, its progress for open sandbox PvP games. But, from what ive read so far, this game, unfortunately, doesnt stand much of a chance. Their devs maybe honest, and thats good, but in the long run, honesty doesnt get a game properly developed nor does it keep it operational.

Is this game as ready as they claim it is? Probably not.

• vaultbrainvaultbrain Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by ghoul31

But the big companies won't make games like this. So we have to settle for whatever these small companies can make.

The big compaies dont make games like this because games like this arent mainstream (IE WoW Clone). So, they sit back, continue to pump out WoW clone after WoW clone, all in the hopes that their clone will replace the original.

What needs to happen is for one of these small companies to make a highly successful open PvP sandbox game and generate a ton of press for doing so, even though this did happen once upon a time *cough*UO*cough*. Unfortunately, thanks to companies like Aventurine making abominations like Darkfall, it makes the bigger, way more resourceful and competant companies turn a blind eye to the concept of sandbox open PvP games. What the Mortal developers dont seem to realize is that if Mortal does fail (and by the looks of things, that is becoming more and more likely) it will be another black mark against the open PvP game. So, for the overall sake of open PvP games, I hope Mortal does succeed, but Im not going to hold my breath.

But if Mortal does manage to make it big and generate enough press and achieve an impressive number of subscriptions, you'll see the large companies start to take notice and start making open PvP sandbox games.

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

dont get mad that im speaking my mind. Judging by your comment i would think you dont have to worry about this game anyways. I'd put you at around 13 and you dont have a credit card or debit card so run along little man.

You know you're not in the authority to 'put him at around 13.' Stop giving yourself so much credit.

Give the devs a shot, its a small company trying to go for a big thing. For all you know the game could be very stable, but also it could be very unstable. No one knows.

Personally, the devs have been pretty honest with us throughout the game's developement and I would say that it is ready to take on the beta stage, with a release later this year for sure.

• FarroxFarrox Member UncommonPosts: 43

I actually hope... no, pray, that Mortal Online is not a smashing success commercially. I hope that it's a niche game that does what it does well. I hope SV and their investors can pay their bills, roll out new content, and that's about it. I want it to remain this way so that the developers will not ever feel compelled to cater to the desires of the masses to boost sub numbers to stay afloat.

In the past few weeks all I've seen (on mmorpg.com) is either 'zomg nudity' or 'zomg Darkfall again'. I see Ultima Online + new graphics + potential. That's it. From what I've seen the game isn't ready for a mob of players to rush in and wreck havoc. From what I see, they built the framework - combat mechanics, crafting system, graphics. Now they're working on adding the players into the mix and seeing what breaks while trying to improve their combat prediction system which lags a little per combat beta testers. The game won't be out till Q4, give it time.

On a sidenote... anyone know a good way to kill time before between now and release (ignoring possible MO preorder beta stuff)? No MMO or beta + few console releases till Oct/Nov = One sad panda.

~Farrox

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

The only two things that could potentially ruin this game are:

a) Devs stop being honest and try and feed us some half assed product claiming its the best MMO ever made.

b) Devs do not have the skills to implement, test and run a solid development.

I will elaborate a bit more now, well A because if they panic and have to try and sell the game as finished and use "Tasos" tactics then this game will fail, their honesty has kept me interested and aware of how they want to develop this game, B because if the dev team does not have the capability to organize and produce the features over time (however long that may take) and I do mean solid features not  half broken systems full of bugs, then the game will fail, they will just keep adding crap to the game, if on the other hand they are honest (and this includes keeping true to their original design for the game and listen to community feedback) and have the technical capability to sustain solid development of new features that WORK then there is no reason why they wouldnt be able to create something good out of it.

Speaking for myself I do not mind waiting for features to be implemented as long as the base of the game is solid and working, with the development model they are using features will probably be implemented as they are ready, and probably in small intervals, this is not necessarily bad, Lineage 2 comes to mind, the game was just a basic structure of what it is today when it was released and that worked pretty well, with every update there was always something new and exciting to play with, looking back now that was probably one of the main reasons I kept playing for over 4 years, with regular updates even with the grind there was always something in the horizon to look forward to.

• DogmusDogmus Member Posts: 2

How come no one in this thread has noticed this. SV isn't the only person working on this. Epic games, the successful creators of the Unreal tournament series, and gears of war series are listed on the front page under PARTNERS. As well as INTEL  a HUGE name company. Anyone saying this company is "Independent" has a very strange definifition of independent. That's like saying you buil a building all on your own and ignoring the foreman and other construction workers, not to mention the people paying for the job and therefore funding it.

All I am trying to say here is, they have a decent budget I am sure. They're not independent. Because on top of Epic Games and Intel their other partners Grome and Speed Tree, while i haven't heard of them, it's just that much more help, and that much more money for budgeting.

So next time you're sick of SV because it's an independent company. Think about it, really think about it.

• PranksterPrankster Member UncommonPosts: 163

If thier starting beta early then good on them. They will have plenty of time to fill out the game and the foresight to watch what testers are doing with what they have.

Some people may believe that a beta has some sort of time line but it can go on as long as it needs to to get the game in order. 

Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Prankster

If thier starting beta early then good on them. They will have plenty of time to fill out the game and the foresight to watch what testers are doing with what they have.
    Some people may believe that a beta has some sort of time line but it can go on as long as it needs to to get the game in order. 

Not really. When game hits beta it content has to be locked pretty solid and next big update has to be in good progress. That's because when beta starts you have to deal with ALL technical problems, there is just no time to do big stuff. Also when beta ends you have very narrow timeline to get it published.

Also for person who said SV has big partners, its because it uses Unreal engine licensed and uses Intel optimized. They don't give money, it just means they get some advices of using those technology. Biggest problem is lack of publisher that you need to have for money.

And after all this quite negative saying I will buy this game. Why, because it actually could work. I don't like PvP much, I don't like Free Looting and I think WoW is best MMO so far. BUT this might have just a thing.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

to be fair once the first fews are over and done with (zones, classes...ect) the rest can be made quickly with a few tweaks of the code/models/objects.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• IllthalaIllthala Member Posts: 56

I remember reading an article on mmorpg about unfair things in mmos and one of them was comparing the small studios to the big ones.  the small studios is where the innovation happens usually.

NOW having said that, i dont expect mortal online to suceed or be good.  I hope i am wrong and that it is excellent.  I just dont think its fair to hold the little guys to the same standards as the big companies.

I wont rip on them for trying however,  its there right to spend there own time and cash how they wish.   I just have my feelings it will not work out for them :~(

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372

Huge AAA companies with 30 million budgets produce rubbish games as well , so your thread is pointless.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

I have no issue with MO going into beta in July, or problem with a lack of concrete information regarding some of the games features.

Only thing the bothers me is the statements concerning the launch dates which I feel its way too early to even estimate, but they  tell folks its coming out sometime this year.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546

Games been in beta for about a month now.  On the 13th they will be offering pre-orders that will get you into the later stages of beta.  You can read two beta reviews of combat on thier forums.

No I haven't.  Would be odd to.  There aren't any classes.  It's a skill based system. 

Yes I have.  That one location is pretty huge.  Something like 50+square km.  And that's just the continent they are going to release with.  I

Personally I'm pretty sick of big companies taking on projects they can't handle.  I'd expect that sort of thing to happen with a small indipendant company.  Sigil had over a hundred employees and wasn't able to get it done.  Funcom has been around for years, with a game already under thier belt and they had a bit of trouble with AoC, Mythic had a bit of trouble getting WAR out with every class and faction city.
    Those big companies don't seem to be any better at releasing MMO's then the indy guys.

Not really sure how you're going to see anything in 2 weeks, unless you plan on pre-ordering the game.  Then you won't be playing a released game then either.  You'll be participating in beta, and that may not even happen for another five weeks after you purchase.  The game isn't releasing in 2 weeks.

If you're going to bash the game at least inform youself so that you can make factual points.

Nothing you posted is even correct.

• ChiryXChiryX Member Posts: 8

Im so sick of indepdent companies taking on huge tasks they can't handle.!!! If you can't do it then hand it over to a company that will actually look like its reputable.

This does kinda piss me off too but I have much more trust in starvault than Aventurine, Also.. many of these features are in beta, they are just too lazy to put effort to theyr website. Still, I refuse to believe this will be another Darkfall, even tho I havent rly followed this game as closely I did darkfall, I can already see that Starvault is doing much better job than the Aventurine fuckups.

• mrmelonimrmeloni Member UncommonPosts: 236

You must be dense or something, Mortal doesn't have classes.