Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about to start playing EQII.

HalahazamHalahazam Member Posts: 9

Hello,

I am starting to think to play some nice MMORPG, and EQII sounds like the thing for me.. I am an old ''HC'' MMORPG person, who has experienced  a wiiiiide array of different MMOs from Runescape to World of Warcraft and Maplestory. Very many! But now... What about EQII? There are a few questions!

1. People say that EQII is somehow ruined? What do they mean with that? Not a nice community or.. ?

2. To play EQII, I do not have to have an account for EQI, amirite? And.. As there are alot of X-pansions, do they all have a ccritical amount of different things than other X-Packs, like races / classes and stuff?

3. I herd that there is a good / bad side.. What is the main difference between these two? Like in WoW horde and ally? And are there any major differences between the races? Other than look and starting area? Are there racial mounts for everyone? Or even mounts at all?

4. Maybe the most important thing, my class! I checked the classes overview a bit.. But I cant decide that which one I should then eventually take! The interesting ones were: Dirge.. And .. umm.. Thats it then... maybe Conjuror.. I like to play a class that hinders and cripples others heavily, and I also like nice AoE (dmg) abilities. Main purpose would beDebuffer / Minion Master/ AoE maniac. I dont care that would they be melee or not...

And of course.. If someone would give me a list of all classes and their good and bad sides, and what their specialities are and stuff..

Thanks alot!

Hal

Comments

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Halahazam

Hello,
    I am starting to think to play some nice MMORPG, and EQII sounds like the thing for me.. I am an old ''HC'' MMORPG person, who has experienced  a wiiiiide array of different MMOs from Runescape to World of Warcraft and Maplestory. Very many! But now... What about EQII? There are a few questions!

1. People say that EQII is somehow ruined? What do they mean with that? Not a nice community or.. ?
    2. To play EQII, I do not have to have an account for EQI, amirite? And.. As there are alot of X-pansions, do they all have a ccritical amount of different things than other X-Packs, like races / classes and stuff?
    3. I herd that there is a good / bad side.. What is the main difference between these two? Like in WoW horde and ally? And are there any major differences between the races? Other than look and starting area? Are there racial mounts for everyone? Or even mounts at all?
    4. Maybe the most important thing, my class! I checked the classes overview a bit.. But I cant decide that which one I should then eventually take! The interesting ones were: Dirge.. And .. umm.. Thats it then... maybe Conjuror.. I like to play a class that hinders and cripples others heavily, and I also like nice AoE (dmg) abilities. Main purpose would beDebuffer / Minion Master/ AoE maniac. I dont care that would they be melee or not...
    And of course.. If someone would give me a list of all classes and their good and bad sides, and what their specialities are and stuff..

Thanks alot!

Hal

1. I've got no idea what you are talking about.  EQ2 seems like a great game.

2. If you buy the latest expansion it includes all the updates and expansions of the past.  So if you are starting new buy The Shadow Odyssey expansion, you get all the expansions and 30 days free for $29 retail.  Or you can get the trial and play for 14 days free and then turn it into a paid account.  I think you can get everything that way also.

3. There is a good/bad side and a number of cities.  It isn't like wow in the differences are very minor.  Really the only impact is that if you are good and try to go into an evil city you are Kill on Site to the guards.  Really that is the only difference.  You can be guilded with evil characters and good, you can group etc.  It also has an impact on classes.  Many classes have a good and evil version.  For example the necromancer and conjurer are the good and evil versions of the summoner.  So to be a necromancer you have to be evil.  However if you change your mind you can betray, ie switch your evil character to a good character.  This lets you switch from being evil to good.

4. Conjuror is a pet class so that makes them pretty good soloers.  Later in the game they are dps.  I don't see a lot of them in end game raiding although they are very handy for their ability to summon players.  The dirge on the other hand isnt' a great solo class but every group or raid wants one.  The power regen, bufs, and ability to rez makes them a very good class for groups.

You can read more about classes at www.eq2flames.com

---
    Ethion

• MorphaleonMorphaleon Member Posts: 10

1. EQII is somewhat like WOW, but for grownups. Wow has put out what, two expansions. EQII has put alot more (with more coming soon). Yes, they have changed some areas that were already fun, but that's not all bad. Overall, I don't think you can find an overall better mmo.

2. Most of the expansions added content. Only a few added new races. But again, buy the Shadow Odyssey, it has everything in one. If you know someone currently playing EQ2 have them do an invite-a-friend with you. They get a really cool mount, and you get some cool bonuses too. The invite a friend comes with all the expansions except the Shadow Odyssey, but you can always add that in later.

3. The Good/Evil characters are pretty much like the horde/alliance of WOW. In EQ2 it mostly determines your starting city. There are not racial mounts, but if you buy the Shadow Odyssey pack, it comes with a free mount that grows as you level up. Other than that you have to save money to get a mount, or do certain quests to get one.

4. The biggest difference between EQ2 and other games such as WOW is that in EQ2 any race can be any class, with the exception of good/evil classes. But then that can be solved by betraying. I have an evil race Dirge, that has betrayed to the good side. If you like AoE, try out a ShadowKnight. Once you get up a little ways in level, they can really rain down some serious damage. And again, if you like one of the good races better, make a Paladin and betray to have a shadowknight. Another one that's lots of fun (especially higher levels) is the Warlock. It's a mage that does a large amount of damage to multiple foes at once. Instead of doing AoEs, the Warlock targets specific groups of enemies.

Check out eq2.zam.com That is the "official" site that eq2 helps maintain. It can show you all the different races/classes, as well as what some of their abilities are. Also, if you do join (and I recommend it), keep 2 things in mind: 1. There is a test server. Any character you make there does not count against your total char slots. Use the test server to try out different race/class combos before you start filling your slots up. It's much easier than worrying about which char to delete.  2. Try out some different servers. There are some great people and guilds on each of them. The guild I'm in is great for helping each other out, but we don't do much raiding. Search and find what you like. 

• BlueProteusBlueProteus Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Originally posted by Morphaleon

"... if you buy the Shadow Odyssey pack, it comes with a free mount that grows as you level up. Other than that you have to save money to get a mount, or do certain quests to get one."

I thought the bear mount was part of the pre-order. Can you still get it if you buy the retail box? Also, at what level does it actually become a mount (ride-able)?

Playing: Various Stuff
    Played: AC, AoC, ArcheAge, BDO, CoX, EQ2, Eve, GW, LotRO, Ryzom, SWG, SWtOR, Vanguard, WoW, Etc.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by BlueProteus

Originally posted by Morphaleon

"... if you buy the Shadow Odyssey pack, it comes with a free mount that grows as you level up. Other than that you have to save money to get a mount, or do certain quests to get one."

I thought the bear mount was part of the pre-order. Can you still get it if you buy the retail box? Also, at what level does it actually become a mount (ride-able)?

you can ride him at lvl 20

---
    Ethion

• MorphaleonMorphaleon Member Posts: 10

I got mine with the retail box.