Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new 51/50 server is live

GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

New server is live since yesterday and i have to say it was almost a good idea. You will have every skill maxed that is releated to combat and some other skills like BEGGING are maxed. who has ever maxed begging? Every spell for casters. So i loaded up and went to the 50 level hot zone PoI to be blessed with 80+ people in zone training and making sure havoc was running wild throughout the zone. Lets just say i died by good ole JUNKBEAST due to a train then finally a group of people took him out. Is the server worth anything.. yeah it will be the catalyst to get every server 51/50 option i believe but it will soon have to rely on people who already have maxed toons on other servers which will return to them after they have had there fill on the new server.

P.S. THERE ARE NO AA's WORTH A DAMN AT 51 so 50AA's was pointless. They could of given u a 500 AA's and i bet only 6 at max would of been used at 51

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

some other skills like BEGGING are maxed. who has ever maxed begging?

I have )

its about the same usefulness as max alcohol tolerance

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by Nadia

some other skills like BEGGING are maxed. who has ever maxed begging?

I have )

its about the same usefulness as max alcohol tolerance

HEHE

P.S. THERE ARE NO AA's WORTH A DAMN AT 51 so 50AA's was pointless. They could of given u a 500 AA's and i bet only 6 at max would of been used at 51

the General ability Run Speed 3 -- is nice for a 30% boost in movement

otherwise players should save their unspent AA until they reach level 55  (for Archtype AA)

so are you playin on the new server?

I'm not

but I'm hoping they launch another server in future,  that starts from level  one

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

P.S. THERE ARE NO AA's WORTH A DAMN AT 51 so 50AA's was pointless. They could of given u a 500 AA's and i bet only 6 at max would of been used at 51
    Yeah you can say that again. All you can buy is general abilities, and archetype and the new spell gem starts at 55. Still, the bigger attraction is having a prelevelled character, which is pretty good apart from if you choose a spell-class and then you have a mess of a spellbook organization to sort out.
    Originally posted by spades07

P.S. THERE ARE NO AA's WORTH A DAMN AT 51 so 50AA's was pointless. They could of given u a 500 AA's and i bet only 6 at max would of been used at 51
    Yeah you can say that again. All you can buy is general abilities, and archetype and the new spell gem starts at 55. Still, the bigger attraction is having a prelevelled character, which is pretty good apart from if you choose a spell-class and then you have a mess of a spellbook organization to sort out.

Nope there is no more spell book sorting now in EQ. You can just right-click the spell slot and u will get a list and  u just pick from which type of spell u want to load. so there is no more need for spell book other then to put ur new spells in em.

Ah I know about that I mean the problem is you're starting a level 51 class for the first time and you got no idea what spells are your most powerful- so you have to go through the spellbook looking for what are the useful spells, and what are the highest level ones etc.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Lets just say i died by good ole JUNKBEAST due to a train then finally a group of people took him out.

Speaking of Junk Beast.... it was kinda funny watching 50+ people in Plane of Innovation get aoe blinded and slaughtered by it.  The server was fun, just like the old days with lots of people grouping everywhere, some even in the old Kunark zones such as Sebilis (it's great exp 'til late 50's).

The server had 4 general chats up, that amounts to over 800+ that logged on to play on this new server.  Good times.

i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/ewyne/eq/poilol.jpg

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

Nope there is no more spell book sorting now in EQ. You can just right-click the spell slot and u will get a list and  u just pick from which type of spell u want to load. so there is no more need for spell book other then to put ur new spells in em.

Oh yeah see what you mean now. That is useful.

• NaoliNaoli Member Posts: 3

edit; nevermind, found the answer

+1 nonetheless :P

• PuffahPuffah Member Posts: 31

When faced with a choice to be innovative and creative, or lazy and complacent, they chose the latter. What a waste.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

The most surprising thing for me about the new server is how much the community reminds me of the old days-- the zones are crowded, there are plenty of people looking for groups... and people training/getting trained, etc.

I got a group in Maiden's Eye with my warrior. It's been a good long time since I'd been there. I did ok, but I have to say, stepping back to a level 51 warrior from a level 75 SK feels weird...

(I have a feeling I am going to have to buy expansions soon, when everyone starts hitting dragonscale hills-- the account I chose to activate only has up through TSS. That was actually a mistake on my part. Wrong account. :( All of my other accounts have up through SoF.) 

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• patrynspatryns Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by neschria

The most surprising thing for me about the new server is how much the community reminds me of the old days-- the zones are crowded, there are plenty of people looking for groups... and people training/getting trained, etc.
    I got a group in Maiden's Eye with my warrior. It's been a good long time since I'd been there. I did ok, but I have to say, stepping back to a level 51 warrior from a level 75 SK feels weird...
    (I have a feeling I am going to have to buy expansions soon, when everyone starts hitting dragonscale hills-- the account I chose to activate only has up through TSS. That was actually a mistake on my part. Wrong account. :( All of my other accounts have up through SoF.) 

Are there a lot of people still playing.  I am looking for a casual game until until something come out.  Thanks for the info and what is this server called. 

Yup still lots of people even after 3 days.  With bonus exp weekend going on right now until Tuesday, I can see more people joining in for that new server rush.

Server is called Mayong, it's at top of the server list.

the server is quite appealling when you have all these numbers of people filling up all the lvl 51 zones; Velks, KC, Sebs, POI(the hotzone atm), PoD, PoJ etc, the LoY zones and the Ldon zones. With a standard server the numbers are all divided up and by the time people are lvl 51 or so there will be lots that probably have quit or whatever.

By the way the 50 aa on this server is pretty useless till you hit 55, only thing useful in it before then is the run speed.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Its kind of a sad note to me as on 'old school' player to see that the 'hurry up and have fun mentality' has now come full circle. My philosophy was as long as people play by the rules they can charge head-long into the game and level grind to their hearts content. I never saw the game as a level contest, but as a rich immersive world with variety and reward.

When I logged back in last year for the Living Legacy it was quite a culture shock. Back in the day we had to earn our way through Hell Levels, we also took pride in trade skills and accomplishing quest. To each their own. I'm glad I had a chance to see the game in its full grandeur because this 'new gen' game style is saddening. Its par for the course and to be expected. As new gamers are more interested in 'instant action/gradification' than character development or story line.

One could opine about the good old days and address issue after issue, all I can say is I'm glad I was there when the game was truly at its best.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• DaragothDaragoth Member Posts: 48

I was one of the many players that canceled all my accounts when Sony announced 51/50 over progression.  I almost gave 51/50 a try, but finally broke down and decided to not pay another cent till they get their heads out of their butts and give the players what they want, not what they would settle for. 

Daragoth

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

One of my friends said he received an email from SOE inviting him to play on Mayong for a month free. I'm still waiting to get me email, I'd love to try it out on Win7.

The Old Timers Guild
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

Originally posted by BuzWeaver

One of my friends said he received an email from SOE inviting him to play on Mayong for a month free. I'm still waiting to get me email, I'd love to try it out on Win7.

Free returns are only given to accounts with sub-lvl 50 characters only.  At least according to what I've seen.

Resub and give it a try imo, it's only $15

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

The only draw to the server right now is that it feels like old EQ in the sense that there are thousands of players online. Other than that the same problems still persist, so I'm not real sure why they opened it. Especially since it takes about a week(less if you get PLed) to get 51. If it would have been level 65 or 70, then it would make a little more sense(still silly since no issues were addressed that has made EQ fall from grace). 

Originally posted by brostyn

so I'm not real sure why they opened it.

Tons of people are having fun, lots are returning players been gone for years.  Do they really need any other reason than that?

I know there are people worrying about longevity of this server.  IMO, play if you have fun, and enjoy it while it lasts. Afterall that's why we play games.  Worrying about when it might end will simply ruin the fun for you.  Look at the new MMO's released in the past few years, now many of them keep you subscribed for longer than a few months at a time anyway?

The fact that 51/50 is an attractive server even though EQ1 is a 10 year old game proves that it's a success.  I don't play on it much myself, I have chars I'm working on elsewhere on the reg server.  But everytime I logon Mayong, there are tons of players everywhere in all sorts of zones, new & old.  I like seeing people have fun.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

I tried playing this game again since like 2000 or whenever the expansion came out with the Lizardmen. I got stuck in a river and the ladder wouldnt't work and then I made a new character in South Qeynos but I got stuck in a pond and couldn't get out. Then I made a new freeport character and went to Nek Forest but then I got chased by a Spider so I ran into the River to get away and sumhow the Spiders can swim... well I say swim they spaz out and killed me somehow. So I decided to make a new character and go to highwind pass or whatever it's called but the map looks like it's been made by a 4 year old so you can't understand it. I got lost in all the dead ends there and had a train of like 50 people. The frigging NPC's never stop following you so I gave up and quit the game.

Don't see whats so good about it and you have to type to NPC's so they'll talk to you...... this ain't the dakr ages just let me right click!

Also where are the quests?

The animations on the combat are pretty bad too and the graphics are all over the place. Some zones look good and others look worse than Tomb Raider.

You are probably used to having the ability to click to accept all quests without having to read a thing, and having quests show up as dots on your minimap right?  In which case, the game isn't for you, no biggy.  Different strokes for different folks.  This genre used to be called MMO*RPG*, where RPG these days is a lost art 

Lots of the zones are kept as original design/graphics, because players wanted it that way.  It's a game with a 10 year history so people like to go back to it for nostalgia purposes.  You can find better graphics in the newer expansion zones, and you probably will have a better time starting out in Crescent Reach, which is made with quest-on-a-rail in mind.

Originally posted by Mardy
    Originally posted by BuzWeaver One of my friends said he received an email from SOE inviting him to play on Mayong for a month free. I'm still waiting to get me email, I'd love to try it out on Win7.

Free returns are only given to accounts with sub-lvl 50 characters only.  At least according to what I've seen.

Resub and give it a try imo, it's only $15 image

Interesting, that may explain why my friend received the email and I didn't.

The Old Timers Guild
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com