Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Trademarks "Cataclysm"

coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Name of the new wow expansion? name of the new MMO? name of rob pardos next child?
<Mod edit>

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Finally some decent thread with some decent news.

And no speculations. Kudos.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Single word? Might be their new IP but I think the new WoW expansion is more likely.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by coffee

Name of the new wow expansion? name of the new MMO? name of rob pardos next child?
    <Mod edit>

Woot a little speculation from me.
    They said the new MMO will be a new IP. It makes no sense for Blizzard to create a new fantasy or sci-fi IP they already have good ones, so.... What if the new IP and the new MMO is a post-apocaliptic one? "Cataclysm". It could be.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

So far, we knew of Hydros.  Now Cataclysm.  BLIZZ'S NEXT IP IS WATERWORLD!!!

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

More strengh to the WoW expansion angle.

http://www.wow.com/tag/cataclysm

Update: We noticed the domain wowcataclysm.com expired on June 26th, 2009. The domain was previously held and parked out in Australia. June 26th is the same day the trademark was filed with the US Patent & Trademark Office. The domain is also now held by GoDaddy, who we know handles Blizzard domains. That's just a little too much coincidence for us to stay quiet about. It's entirely possible Blizzard just acquired the domain name.

• Bluff+ZiggsBluff+Ziggs Member Posts: 69

Cataclysm makes a lot of sense as the new expansion for WoW seeing as one of the possible setttings for said expansion is the Maelstrom, which was the result of the cataclysm which divided the land masses of Azeroth.

Originally posted by TheHavok

So far, we knew of Hydros.  Now Cataclysm.  BLIZZ'S NEXT IP IS WATERWORLD!!!

What's this Hydros you speak of? Can't find it on google, or archived on wow.com...

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

WTF?!! Why can't these devs ever do anything new?

I don't want to play Cataclysm. It has micro transactions, and it's not a sandbox game but just another themepark. Bleh!

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

It's a WoW expansion

http://diablo3x.com/

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

its either the next expension 

(i very very highly doubt its the next expension)

or its the follow up of wow 

like there was warcraft 3

then world of warcraft

next would be cataclysm 

witch would make it more likly if its on a 2 year time table like almost all previous time table of blizzard work

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I'd say its the chances of it being the next wow expantion are very good.

Cataclysm is a perfect name for an expantion, especially one that focuses on the malestrom.  Could even make the entire addition be a time travel expantion pack.

For instance how FFXI did on Wings of the Goddess.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

I don't want to play Cataclysm. It has micro transactions, and it's not a sandbox game but just another themepark. Bleh!

Micro transactions you say.. clearly never played wow.. TROLL ON my friend,

• Home15Home15 Member Posts: 203

It will be some time before any news on the new Blizzard MMO will come out.

I think there kinda waiting for those other MMO's to come out,

Then they play it, take there inovating or normal ideas and impliment and simplify / tweak them in there new IP. :P

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Lets hope they'll work on a graphics engine update. It's long past due.

• kakarotragekakarotrage Member Posts: 280

I kinda wonder if this new mmo that is under development is planned to replace wow or just bring players who had enough of the wow gameplay.

World of Warcraft is a proof that MMORPG quality should affect schedule/budget and not the other way around.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Lets hope they'll work on a graphics engine update. It's long past due.

the blizzard do they do like guild wars they add support to toy feature avail on nvidia or ati card without loosing support for old computer i hope they dont completelly redo

adding feature on the graphical side and new lighting effect etc

ended up making this game look great

every expension they added support for new graphical toy

wotlk added better look feature on toon in northrend area so your mage never looked so good in northrend

• BlazzBlazz Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by kakarotrage

I kinda wonder if this new mmo that is under development is planned to replace wow or just bring players who had enough of the wow gameplay.

I would imagine the latter option, and then the former (eventually)

WoW is such a cash-cow that they won't want to kill it... I would think that this would possibly be a completely new engine/"game", that you would be able to transfer WoW characters into easily.

Or maybe I'm just crapping on about something I know nothing about? =P

I am playing EVE and it's alright... level V skills are a bit much.

You all need to learn to spell.

Originally posted by kakarotrage

Eventually WoW will die; it's already pushing five years, by 2012-14 that'll be 8 to 11. It'll be so outdated that the only way for Blizzard to continue making boatloads of money would be to create a new MMO. UO is about 11 years old, and look how crappy it is compared to AoC/WoW/EQ2/WAR...

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

<Mod edit>

Hmm sorry to say but I do not trust that website from the link,
    I got like 13 treaths found. Beware.......but also might be nothing......Catergory: Drivebydownloads

• BwanaKuuBwanaKuu Member Posts: 146

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Micro transactions you say.. clearly never played wow.. TROLL ON my friend,

Yea, I have no idea what the fuck he was talking about.  Micro transactions? Wat? 

And hey, I like going to themeparks in real life, why not in a MMO? They're FUN!

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Reklaw

<Mod edit>

I got like 13 treaths found. Beware.......but also might be nothing......Catergory: Drivebydownloads

That's just once source, there are many others that say the same thing.
    There have been blue posts stating that they want the next exp pack to be "On Azeroth."
    That pretty much says either
    A. Goblin Continent
    B. Malestrom
    C. Emerald Dream.

It seems very likely they are doing the malestrom
  • JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by coffee Name of the new wow expansion? name of the new MMO? name of rob pardos next child?
    <Mod edit>

One of the sister sites seems to have had problems with that: http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://wow.incgamers.com , starcraft.incgamers.com didn't have any but removed clickable link just in case.
  • ssj4kefkassj4kefka Member Posts: 36

Trade mark it? Isent that the name of a Death Metal band?

• ArathArath Member Posts: 119

This has been reported on numerous sites so its not a question of whether its real or not, but what it means. In WoW lore the Cataclysm relates directly to the Great Sundering of the Well of Eternity which created the Maelstrom (the Emerald Dream is likely not large enough to build an entire expansion around it and could well be implemented as a raid instance in the next expansion instead). It could be the next WoW expansion which is due to be announced at Blizzcon, though it could also be the new IP that Blizzard have been working on. I'd wager its the expansion but I guess we won't know for sure until Blizzard says. 

Personally I'd love a reveal on the new IP, since Kaplan moved to lead it, I'd expect that its become a more tangable game than many would like to believe (I am sure its been indevelopment for a good while though I suppose we might not hear anything until after Starcraft 2 comes out).

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by Arath

This has been reported on numerous sites so its not a question of whether its real or not, but what it means. In WoW lore the Cataclysm relates directly to the Great Sundering of the Well of Eternity which created the Maelstrom (the Emerald Dream is likely not large enough to build an entire expansion around it and could well be implemented as a raid instance in the next expansion instead). It could be the next WoW expansion which is due to be announced at Blizzcon, though it could also be the new IP that Blizzard have been working on. I'd wager its the expansion but I guess we won't know for sure until Blizzard says. 
    Personally I'd love a reveal on the new IP, since Kaplan moved to lead it, I'd expect that its become a more tangable game than many would like to believe (I am sure its been indevelopment for a good while though I suppose we might not hear anything until after Starcraft 2 comes out).

How can the Emerald Dream not be large enough to build an entire expansion around? The Emerald Dreams is how Azeroth would have been without the smart races, like elves/humans and such. How can you call that not large enough?

Also my bet is that it's the Maelstrom expac, hopefully it will include Kul'tiras and Gilneas too.