Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skills and Ship progression for PvP?

qwenidenqweniden Member Posts: 151

Any suggestions when starting from scratch?  I already have a bunch of learning skills.

Comments

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

Interceptors

HACs

Battleships

Recon Ships (Recon Ships LvL 5 is mandatory!)

---

Max out your energy- and tanking-skills, weapon-skills get maxed after this. Ship-skills, if not needed for other ships-classes get maxed last.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

I would start off with a tech 1 frig, lose 10 or so of them (or get 10 kills, whichever comes sooner) and then move to a tech 1 cruiser and repeat, then start thinking about what type of combat you enjoy and then pick ships based on that.

theres so many paths, you can do drone based stuff, where you would go incursus->vexor->ishkur or ecm which would be griffin->blackbird->rook or sniper stuff merlin->moa->eagle or blasters incursus->thorax->deimos, etc and thats just two races.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by jrs77

T1 Frigates
    T1 Cruisers
    Interceptors or Assault Frigates
    HACs or battlecruisers
    Battleships
    Recon Ships (Recon Ships LvL 5 is mandatory!)
    ---
    Max out your energy- and tanking-skills, weapon-skills get maxed after this. Ship-skills, if not needed for other ships-classes get maxed last.

fixed

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

No, there is no progression.

All ships have their own playstyle and it is only up to you to pick one you prefer the most.

You can find 4 year old players flying T1 frigates most of the time. You can find 5 months old characters flying nothing else but Recons.

It is a personal choice, not an evolution.

• carlyvalentecarlyvalente Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Gdemami

All ships have their own playstyle and it is only up to you to pick one you prefer the most.
    You can find 4 year old players flying T1 frigates most of the time. You can find 5 months old characters flying nothing else but Recons.

Very true.

Old experienced player usually get fun playing small ships, roaming around.

But one thing is mandatory: Learning skills maxed.

Then I "suggest" frigate.

Gunnery/missiles.

Navigation/electronics.

shield/armors.

drones if gallente.

Learn how to fly a frigate , make it lethal and then move on next ship (whatever you choose) and learn the new skills for it. Make it lethal and so on.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by carlyvalente

Originally posted by Gdemami

But one thing is mandatory: Learning skills maxed.

Not true.  

You should never TRUELY max the learning skills.  At most you want to take them to 5/4 because if you take them to 5/5 it's like 5 months of extra train time that you'd have to play EVE over 5 years to make up for the training time you sank into it.  5/4 is the best investment of time. 

Also, don't go nuts just training learning skills on your first character in EVE unless you have the patience of a Saint and don't mind doing pretty much *nothing* for your first couple weeks in EVE.

I will give you the same advice I give everyone:

1) Do not forget to train learning skills

2) Get your fitting skills up as well, at LEAST to 4, preferably 5 for the shorter ones (where it takes under a week for the level 5 skill)

3) Get ship specific skills trained first after fitting skills

Tools:

EVEMON

Eve Fitting Tool

"What are the fitting skills?" you ask?

Engineering

Electronics

Mechanic

Electronic Upgrades

Shield Upgrades

Weapon Upgrades

Energy Grid Upgrades

Navigation (train it to 5 asap, trust me you'll thank me later)

tip on using evemon:

1. First go to Eve Fitting Tool and figure out what ship, short term, you want to be able to fly. Using Eve Fitting Tool add modules, etc to the ship.

2. Open EVEMON and add your character to it and Create a plan

3. add the above skills to it

4. next go to the ship browser and pick the ship you want to fly and select "Add all skills to plan"

5. Next go to each module you have listed in EFT and 'add all skills to plan' for each one

6. When steps 1-5 are completed go to the PLAN in EVEMON and at the bottom click on the blue link labled 'suggestions' and EVEMon will add your short term training requirements for learning skills

Note: A LOT of people will advise you to train your learning skills up FIRST... while technically this is the BEST way to maximize your training effectiveness in EVE it's VERY boring for new players and I don't recommend it. By doing the above few steps you'll be able to, relatively quickly, be flying a fully fitted ship of your choice. Once you have that then go nuts on learning skills and get them all to level 4 (base learning skill) then level 4 in the advanced learning skills, then loop back and do level 5 in the base learning skills. Takes about 1 month to train all the learning skills to 5/4 (base/advanced).

Once you've done all that you are really ready to start going nuts in EVE.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

Getting basic learning skills to level 3 takes less than day and it is very nice boost for start.

Generaly speaking train your skills in cycles(Engineering and Electronics might be an exception). It is better to have 10 skills at 3 than 1 skill at 4.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

1. get your basic combat skills such as gunnery up to a level where you can ahve fun in PvE missions and Mining too of course.

2. Then get your basic learning skills to 3.

3. learn skills based around using tech 1 frigates and small wepons and other assosiated frigate based skills.

4. After losing a few frigates in PvPPvE move onto cruisers and learn relivent skills there too.

5. This should take you 3 months and by now you will ahve a good idea what you like ship wise and you should be able to fend for yourself.

P.S. after 3 months if you want you can get your learning skills higher as they will help later on.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

tvalentine has the right idea.

This is what my progression was (Gallente) for PvP:

t1 cruiser (still use Thorax alot for gangs). Other night I used a Celestis for first time loaded with 3 sensor boosters on mids so I could lock pods . Vexor and Thorax are nasty and very fun. Thorax being my favorite. It's nasty even with t1 blasters on the highs too

t2 frigate (Taranis interceptor one of my favorites, Drone Interfacing V + Scout V + small hybrid turret V = 300+ dps). Taranis is a nasty lil frigate to run into. Ares does way less dps since it suffers from split weapon layout but has nice speed and good specialized tackler

Battleship - I mostly use my Megathron for sniping on fleets. large hybrid turret V helps wake it up. Might start bring Domi along for rr gangs

Btw ask me all you need skillwise to pvp is propulsion jamming and High speed manuvering for Microwarp drives. This will get you into pvp really fast. After that, see what you like. Tackling is an important role and very FUN.

This link is a good pvp guide for newbies. Look at the Basic tackling skills section

Only thing I'd say watch out for is stealth bombers I saw an SB instapop one of tacklers in a t1 frigate last night.

• RebornDragonRebornDragon Member UncommonPosts: 121

Don't get dragged into 0.0 until you can tank the spawns in the space you're going to be living in, otherwise you won't be making much money at all and it becomes extremely boring. Missioning in 0.0 consists of NPC space that is generally infested with people that want nothing more then to make you rage quit unless you're in an alliance that has a pretty good security force around it. You will generally ALWAYS make more money running L4 missions in empire or mining veld in empire and there is relatively zero chance of dieing unless you anger concord or get hit by a suicide ganker hitting your hauler. It's another reason why people mass sums of money in an NPC corp then join an 0.0 alliance, PvP for while till they need to make more money, drop out of that corp and rejoin a NPC corp in Empire and remass isk, then rejoin the same corp/alliance.

CCP really need to increase 0.0 ratting/mining profits. It's kind of a joke and has been for awhile. The risk of ratting/mining in 0.0 is far higher then l4 mission running, yet l4 empire mission huggers make far more money.

That's getting offtopic though.

Welcome to EVE.

When you're ready for pewpew, I would suggest first joining your factions militia to learn a lot of the basics.

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by RebornDragon

Don't get dragged into 0.0 until you can tank the spawns in the space you're going to be living in, otherwise you won't be making much money at all and it becomes extremely boring. Missioning in 0.0 consists of NPC space that is generally infested with people that want nothing more then to make you rage quit unless you're in an alliance that has a pretty good security force around it. You will generally ALWAYS make more money running L4 missions in empire or mining veld in empire and there is relatively zero chance of dieing unless you anger concord or get hit by a suicide ganker hitting your hauler. It's another reason why people mass sums of money in an NPC corp then join an 0.0 alliance, PvP for while till they need to make more money, drop out of that corp and rejoin a NPC corp in Empire and remass isk, then rejoin the same corp/alliance.

CCP really need to increase 0.0 ratting/mining profits. It's kind of a joke and has been for awhile. The risk of ratting/mining in 0.0 is far higher then l4 mission running, yet l4 empire mission huggers make far more money.

Welcome to EVE.

When you're ready for pewpew, I would suggest first joining your factions militia to learn a lot of the basics.

Theres an alternative way without all the corp switching

Mission with NPC corp until you have 8.0 standing with them

Train Infomorph Psychology to L1 and create a Jump-Clone at your chosen NPC corps medical bay

Join 0.0 corp/alliance and use the jump-clone to switch back to hisec when wanted/needed

This way should mean you can fly and fit a ship that will enable ratting in 0.0 so you can generate income whilst out there, and training can benefit from you having 2+ bodies

Hisec Clone - +5 Attribute Boosters to max skillpoints/hour

0.0 Clone - +3 Attribute Boosters (means training doesnt slow too dramatically)

• qwenidenqweniden Member Posts: 151

Welcome to EVE.

Im now in 0.0 alliance and its a million times better than empire for me.  My corp and alliance and the alliance that owns the space I live in are all hardcore and organized.  I get grief ganked sometimes when I ignore neutrals comming up to me, but its worth it.  I make slightly less ISK than I did in empire but its worth it.  The roaming PvP is a blast too.

Welcome to EVE.

Playing EVE the WoW way is a fail....

Some quick tips:

#1 You should never get ganked while ratting *ever* in 0.0 thanks to 'Local'. Keep Local dragged out into its own spot onscreen. Try to always be aligned to a safespot or planet/moon.

You need to be bout 75% of your ships max speed in order to achieve instawarp. So if you rat in a dangerous system go ahead and keep your speed up.

If you rat while almost/fully aligned to ss if a hostile jumps into your belt you can instawarp. If where you live is NBSI this should be fairly ok once you get the hang of it

Other day I was ratting while aligned and it seemed like as soon as interceptor jumped into my system he was in my belt. But I was even faster than him and instawarped out

If you fly drone ships you can even carry ECM drones as a last resort which will break the tacklers lock and get you out. Mind you- ecm drones wont help you against a Dictor/sabre (DIC/HIC in general). That's how we jumped a ratter other day even though he had ECM drones.

#2 Most 0.0 Alliances can provide jump clones. There is no need to ever grind faction with NPC corps in Empire. Granted, I have just enough favor in Empire to run a low quality L4

"#1 You should never get ganked while ratting *ever* in 0.0 thanks to 'Local'."

Thats nice in theory, but Im in a retriever and I get blown up pretty much instantly with smart bombs.  The Macks dont seem to last much longer. I usually make it away from the griefers by being alert and not letting them get close to me but onetime I tabbed away the window to change my sound level and got blown up and another time I warpped in to a bookmark and was blown up instantly.   Its just a fact of life that mining in a region of space that doesnt shoot neutrals on site will lead to occasional miner ganks.  Its really hard to be 100% alert over a period of many hours.

I've never died in all these years I've been playing while ratting / mining. Not sure bout dedicated mining barges since I've only group with them on formal ops. Still, a retriever should be able to remain aligned while mining easy enough.  Granted, you might have to start from 0 speed. But at least you'll be pointed in right direction. As a newbie your alignment skills are probably suck (no evasive manuvers V + spaceship command V) so at least always align in proper direction

My advice is to move to where the rule is NBSI (Not Blue Shoot It). Its so much easier man when you know who your friends and enemies are. EVE doesn't even provide elegant interfaces to identify if a neutral is friendly and using those KOS sites just seems clusmy

It's a trap if you ask me. Anyone can be an enemy and I'll be damned if I'm the 'first' sucker a neut ganks before he goes on KOS list

This is why I left providence and joined a NBSI alliance.

Note- I've never died in a neutral standing alliance ratting / mining either. When a neut would enter my belt and I dont know him I warp. You should just never die as a ratter/miner to gankers

[quote]
    Originally posted by PatchDay Still, a retriever should be able to remain aligned while mining easy enough.  Granted, you might have to start from 0 speed. But at least you'll be pointed in right direction. As a newbie your alignment skills are probably suck (no evasive manuvers V + spaceship command V) so at least always align in proper direction

Im always aligned. When I get killed its always an insta-pop so beling aligned is actually not a factor in those situations.

[quote]
    My advice is to move to where the rule is NBSI (Not Blue Shoot It). Its so much easier man when you know who your friends and enemies are. EVE doesn't even provide elegant interfaces to identify if a neutral is friendly and using those KOS sites just seems clusmy
    It's a trap if you ask me. Anyone can be an enemy and I'll be damned if I'm the 'first' sucker a neut ganks before he goes on KOS list

Im actually in Provodence. NRDS is more dangerous, but I like my corp/alliance so Im not going to move.

Note- I've never died in a neutral standing alliance ratting / mining either. When a neut would enter my belt and I dont know him I warp. You should just never die as a ratter/miner to gankers

I appreciate your advice in general, but you dont know what you are talking about here. A Retiever mining long hours in NRDS 0.0 space is just eventually gonna get ganked. If you think otherwise, come give it a try and talk to me in a week. It just takes a few seconds to take out someone in this situation. Like i said, I usually escape just fine, but all it takes is a brief break in attention and no one is going to 100% attentive for 3 hours or whatever.