Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC is 3rd Best selling MMO at Gamespot.

Comments

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by Unfinished

Originally posted by VultureSkull

"Promotion involves disseminating information about a product, product line, brand, or company."

Nice try with Ninja edits:

I take it you pulled the quote from  www.economicexpert.com/a/Promotion.htm ?

where if you read the opening paragraph it plainly states:

Promotion is one of the four aspects of marketing ..

It is comprised of four subcategories:

* advertising

* personal selling

* sales promotion

* publicity and public relations

Advertising

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising

Promote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_(marketing)

As i said, promotion and advertise are two distinctly different terms, otherwise there would not be a need for both words!!

Note: You can see from your quote that you would need to add the word Sales to promotion to catergorise it as a sales promotion. And sales means encouraging people to buy, which is missing from my OP, hope this clarifies.

And since i worte the OP i meant is as public Relations, also in your quote, or are you going to tell me what i was thinking when i wrote the OP? No? well thank you.

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881

As i said, promotion and advertise are two distinctly different terms, otherwise there would not be a need for both words!!

Never heard of a Synonym ?

Indeed i have, but Promote and Advertise are not synonymous and hence the need for two distinct words!

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Also as you have admitted you are trying to promote AoC you may want to re-read the MMORPG.com Rules of Conduct:
    Listed under Medium Infractions:
    Advertisements
    * MMORPG.com does not allow users to advertise products or companies in our forums. If you want to advertise, contact [email protected].

Oh my god... seriously? I have never seen someone soooo upset/anal about a game. Well I take that back a hop over to the DDO forums proves the same thing. I don't know what you're losing by  someone wanting to self promote a game they enjoy? You can argue the stats and figures they provided, but the basis of the trying to show a little self promotion on a game in the proper game forum?

Good lord, it is just a game. Free trial is that way -----> People are not all that stupid they can't try the game themselves to see if they want to buy it even from someone who is trying to promote the game or someone who is hell bent on spreading negativity about the game.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Indeed i have, but Promote and Advertise are not synonymous and hence the need for two distinct words!

When you back pedal to the point of falling in the hole of circular reasoning, you are longer holding up your side of the argument .

When you back pedal to the point of falling in the hole of circular reasoning, you are longer holding up your side of the argument .

You are trying to prove that Promote and Advertise are the same but they are not , not by definition(which you tired to show but failed) and they are not synonymous(which you did not prove). There is no circular reasoning involved.

Maybe by example you will understand,

A Boxing "promoter" promotes a boxer for support. He has no intention of selling him. Neither is a boxing promoter a sales man.

If he wants to sell the boxer, if he could do such a thing then he would advertise him for sale for a price, hope that explains it.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Dunno why you think it does you or the game any good ... but by all means keep Trolling in such a transparent manor.

Sorry i do not understand what you mean by Trolling?

I am promoting AoC on an AoC forum, what is the crime in that?

Hows that working out? From where I am sitting it doesn't look like it is going very well.

Here, some assistance for your ignorance en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

And I'll save you trouble any type of  "But I am not doing that" type reply is more trolling.

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]"

I am not really bothered how it is working out tbh. As i gain nothing , which makes it not advertising.

By promoting Aoc, which is distinctly different to advertising fyi, am I inflamming you?

is it irrelevant? or contorversial, or off-topic?

As i said this is AoC forum and i am telling people that come here that AoC has changed, for the better.

Cool down & live and let live!

Jez man i didnt want to upset anyone!

PS:I didnt expect to find anyone here that hates AoC so much either.

yep one problem with the yellow part its irrelevent here he started the tread lol,hes not trolling derailing or whats not

Originally posted by Sevenwind

Oh my god... seriously? I have never seen someone soooo upset/anal about a game. Well I take that back a hop over to the DDO forums proves the same thing. I don't know what you're losing by  someone wanting to self promote a game they enjoy? You can argue the stats and figures they provided, but the basis of the trying to show a little self promotion on a game in the proper game forum?

Good lord, it is just a game. Free trial is that way -----> People are not all that stupid they can't try the game themselves to see if they want to buy it even from someone who is trying to promote the game or someone who is hell bent on spreading negativity about the game.

I am far from upset, having a great day actually.  The title of the board is plain to it's purpose, 'Discussion'. The OP does not contain any  requisites to starting a discussion. In fact the author admitted this posts purpose was to promote the game (not the 'self-promotion' you are claiming), according to the ROC that is outside the allowed behavior on these forums. Pointing out that other people on other section of this site maybe breaking those rules as well, certainly does not invalidate the stated rules and purpose of these boards. I do not see where I have made any negative statments about the game in this thread.

A Boxing "promoter" promotes a boxer for support. He has no intention of selling him. Neither is a boxing promoter a sales man.
    If he wants to sell the boxer, if he could do such a thing then he would advertise him for sale for a price, hope that explains it.

Well there is the problem you dont not know what the words you use actually mean. Case in point, you don't seem to know what a Boxing Promoter is / does, but yes they are not slave traders, selling  human beings. 

A Boxer is a Person, Boxing is an Event. wanna guess which the BOXING promoter is advertising / selling?

I am far from upset, having a great day actually.  The title of the board is plain to it's purpose, 'Discussion'. The OP does not contain any  requisites to starting a discussion. In fact the author admitted this posts purpose was to promote the game (not the 'self-promotion' you are claiming), according to the ROC that is outside the allowed behavior on these forums. Pointing out that other people on other section of this site maybe breaking those rules as well, certainly does not invalidate the stated rules and purpose of these boards. I do not see where I have made any negative statments about the game in this thread.

Meh you do live up to your name, as you will not be finished off lol!

You quoted the ROC yourself

"MMORPG.com does not allow users to advertise products or companies in our forums. If you want to advertise, contact [email protected]."

This means that you are not allowed, as an advertiser(game owner) to advertise a game on these boards. I have no connection to Funcom besides playing their game. 

You tried to prove that i was advertiseing the game and failed, now you have taken it upon yourself to change the ROC to say that you cannot promote a game on these boards. I am sorry if you can not see the difference between pronote and advertise but i can not help you with that.

We all know an MMO is about numbers, i want numbers in the game i play whether it is AoC or VG etc.  Also i want others who left the game due to its earlier problems to come back and give it a trial for thier own gains not my own personal gain.

The way "Self Promote" was used in the above statement implied that i am promoting the game by myself, for someone who is well clued up on synonyms surely you can understand what he means. 

And he pointed out that there is hatred towards other games like DDO on these forums as well.

Not as you have mis-read it as other promotions on other boards on this site.

Also you seem to pick up on little things like synonyms, circular reasoing and me not knowing what a boxing promoter does, instead of addressing the real issue here.

When you cant argue your point you pick holes in statements that are of no real consequence.  This is the sign of a drowning man clucthing at straws.

There i leave it.

PS selling footballers (basketballers and a host of other sports men) from club to club happens and yes they are not slaves but it happens........

"MMORPG.com does not allow users to advertise products or companies in our forums. If you want to advertise, contact [email protected]."

This means that you are not allowed, as an advertiser(game owner) to advertise a game on these boards. I have no connection to Funcom besides playing their game. 
    You tried to prove that i was advertiseing the game and failed, now you have taken it upon yourself to change the ROC to say that you cannot promote a game on these boards. I am sorry if you can not see the difference between pronote and advertise but i can not help you with that.
    We all know an MMO is about numbers, i want numbers in the game i play whether it is AoC or VG etc.  Also i want others who left the game due to its earlier problems to come back and give it a trial for thier own gains not my own personal gain.
    The way "Self Promote" was used in the above statement implied that i am promoting the game by myself, for someone who is well clued up on synonyms surely you can understand what he means. 
    And he pointed out that there is hatred towards other games like DDO on these forums as well.

Once again you are making up your own definitions, to communicate and participate in a discussion you have to actually use the words with their universally agreed apon meanings .... you don't get to decide for yourself 'what they really mean'.

Advertiser  and  Game Owner are not SYNONYMUS, and the ROC is what is quoted, not your personal interpretation of it.

• SilverminkSilvermink Member UncommonPosts: 289

"Promotion involves disseminating information about a product, product line, brand, or company."

Nice try with Ninja edits:

I take it you pulled the quote from  www.economicexpert.com/a/Promotion.htm ?

where if you read the opening paragraph it plainly states:

Promotion is one of the four aspects of marketing ..

It is comprised of four subcategories:

* advertising

* personal selling

* sales promotion

* publicity and public relations

By posting this you yourself are saying that advertising and promotion are 2 different things. Also, sales promotion is only a subset of what promoting could be.  By suggesting people try the trial, he isn't trying to convince people to buy the game but to try it.

PS. By trying to convince him that he is delusional, you are also promoting AoC as you are keeping the thread in the 5 recent posts listing.

Originally posted by Silvermink

By posting this you yourself are saying that advertising and promotion are 2 different things. Also, sales promotion is only a subset of what promoting could be.  By suggesting people try the trial, he isn't trying to convince people to buy the game but to try it.

I think you are overlooking two words that nullify your observation, "Comprised Of",

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Also you seem to pick up on little things like synonyms, circular reasoing and me not knowing what a boxing promoter does, instead of addressing the real issue here.

When you cant argue your point you pick holes in statements that are of no real consequence.  This is the sign of a drowning man clucthing at straws.

There i leave it.

PS selling footballers (basketballers and a host of other sports men) from club to club happens and yes they are not slaves but it happens........

lol he doesnt advertise lol  check the first page of mmorpg.com thats advertising

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Comnitus

Not really. I just checked it out because I thought it was ridiculous how someone wanted to promote the game by posting Gamespot sales figures for a PC game, as Zorvan nicely explained above.

Well nothing in  the TITLE said I was promoting the game...........so what you have said does not ring true.

Dont insult our intelligence. It is obvious that you are trying to promote the game so dont try to pretend you are just giving objective info. It is not, as others have pointed out. The info is worthless as it shows charts from sites that dont have enough volume of PC games to be statistically accurate.

If you want propert indication on how well this game sells then check Amazon, which has much greater volumes of PC games being sold. I believe it is ranked 1837 there... As a comparison other games on that site:

WoW Lich King: #63

WAR: #537

Enough said...

UPDATE: The list numbers above is for video game items, which is all kinds of video games (including consoles).

For PC Games the numbers are:

WoW Lich King: #3

WAR: #76

AoC: Not listed in top 100 PC games.

Another more expansive list looking at sales of PC games in May 2009: www.neowin.net/news/gamers/09/06/17/npd-group-top-selling-pc-games-for-may

WoW Lich King: #1

WoW: #4

Sims2 Apartment: #8

WoW Burning Crusade: #11

And those are the only MMORPG listed in top 20. Neither WAR nor AoC are even listed there.

So really, if you have any shred of integrity you should denounce your attempt at showing AoC being a top selling PC game. It is not, by far.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

you guys do know that it is way past the point where hype is going to do anything for the game don't you? AoC has found it's level in the MMO world  and nothing is going to change much one way or the other as far as population wise unless it is a decline when some of the newer MMO's release. This patch should have brought a lot of people back and possibly some first timers but it appears they were matched pretty evenly with people leaving so it was a wash.

I miss DAoC

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by Jackdog

you guys do know that it is way past the point where hype is going to do anything for the game don't you? AoC has found it's level in the MMO world  and nothing is going to change much one way or the other as far as population wise unless it is a decline when some of the newer MMO's release. This patch should have brought a lot of people back and possibly some first timers but it appears they were matched pretty evenly with people leaving so it was a wash.

I agree. I know a lot of people like to say that the bugs are fixed and content is added and those were reasons people left, and that may be true why some left but imo, FC made to many fundamental design decisions about that game that put people off that nothing except a complete rebuild of the game could fix.

• HyakuHyaku Member Posts: 4

LOL forget it vultureskull, they are all aoc haters around forums... the ones who love to play aoc spend all their time playing.

don't even waste your time "promoting"... respect the players who don't like the game, but i also think that the haters should also respect the players who love the game.  the aoc argument is getting so old and let's just put it down and move on.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Hyaku

LOL forget it vultureskull, they are all aoc haters around forums... the ones who love to play aoc spend all their time playing.
    don't even waste your time "promoting"... respect the players who don't like the game, but i also think that the haters should also respect the players who love the game.  the aoc argument is getting so old and let's just put it down and move on.

I certainly cant respect someone who is quoting numbers, which are completely misleading, in an attempt to promote a game. If you want to promote the game then either stick to the facts or your subjective opinion about said game.

And the FACT is that AoC is not even in the top 20 of most sold PC games in May.

Selling the box was never AoC's problem, getting people to pay the subscription was.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Hyaku

I certainly cant respect someone who is quoting numbers, which are completely misleading, in an attempt to promote a game. If you want to promote the game then either stick to the facts or your subjective opinion about said game.

And the FACT is that AoC is not even in the top 20 of most sold PC games in May.

He didn't say PC game he said "MMO", big difference there.

@ rest of thread, I've been reading this forum for a few months now, I've seen it said over and over again that the game is dead. No one is joining and subs are on the decline. Well I created a trial account, and downloaded the new patch to see. Logged in at 5am est. thursday morning. Tyranny was packed, I remind you this was 5am est, I guess most had to be European. When I say packed I really mean it. Most may have been trials, but that does at least show there is a buzz going on with the game. I did see a few drinking capes though, which suggests to me alts. Going through the ruins I had one hell of a time killing 30 picts, there were to many small groups killing everything. it almost felt like an open beta. I shoulda took screens but I was tired  and didn't think about it.

@ those who play, Is it always like that now or is it just because of the 1.05 patch?

I think I'll resub a while given the sever my main was on seems quite lively at my schedule (work nights)  it seems at around 7am it may be busy.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

Ive noticed on the Set server that alot of ppl have returned and  have seen alot of new people  to the game.

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

Gamestops search engines suxxor...they don't work.   Anyway, no seems like the population keeps decreasing and dying out. PC gamers would buy from Amazon and there are well over 1000 other games out selling it at amazon.  It must be a very bad game TODAY if it went from #4 PC sales last year to obscurity this year.   What happened?

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482
    Originally posted by finaticd

Gamestops search engines suxxor...they don't work.   Anyway, no seems like the population keeps decreasing and dying out. PC gamers would buy from Amazon and there are well over 1000 other games out selling it at amazon.  It must be a very bad game TODAY if it went from #4 PC sales last year to obscurity this year.   What happened?

Are you for real? You have been following this game for ages so you should know. Click on his posting history guys.

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• VespersVespers Member Posts: 246

When are the obsessed type fans of AOC finally going to understand that when they post misleading information like the OP generally does, that it is actually harming AOC's reputation more and more each time.
    Honestly, 99% of the people who come to this website are people who are not MMO newbies and when they start reading threads that are essentially viral marketing, follow by additional posts by others players that contradict what the OP wrote, this throws up a red flag. Who in their right mind would want to buy a game that is surrounded by so much drama and stress? Who would want to pay a monthly fee for a game that has some obsessed players who are willing to misconstrue the facts about a game just to get more players in the game? The answer is no one.
    Here is some advice, play the game that you like(AOC) and if you feel the need to post why YOU like the game and how YOU feel the game is doing, that is fine but do write crap like "AOC is the 3rd best selling MMO so everyone come play it". Most people are tired of reading that crap and IMO it is even more iritating than reading about the SWG vets constantly complaining about how SOE ruined that game.

This discussion has been closed.