Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To late to start?

Coming off a year hiatus from MMOs and was looking at getting back into LotRO. I messed with it before but never for very long.

How has it shaped up? Roughly how long would it take to reach the level cap (not in a rush)? What is the end game like? Are there plenty of guilds to join when the time is right?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by spikeno
    Roughly how long would it take to reach the level cap (not in a rush)? What is the end game like? Are there plenty of guilds to join when the time is right?

I just leveled up a captain in 211 hours, hurrying because of the leveling contest for One Kinship To Rule Tham All Contest.   I did almost no crafting other than prospecting so I could mine the ore in Moria once I got there.   Were I to have taken my time and done some crafting and deed and trait work along the way, it probably would have taken 300 hours to max out (your time may vary .)      There are plenty of kinships to join, and you should look for the one that best suits you through the forums.   Good luck and good hunting.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393

Leveling is fairly fast, I have guild mates who start alts and get to 60 within a month to six weeks of moderate playing time (20-25 hours a week).  Part of that is probably because they know all the spots, but its still pretty fast-paced even for newer players.

End game is a mixed bag.  I don't raid, can't stand the time commitment, so I can't speak to that.  Moria introduced the legendary weapon system, which is essentially another character grind.  Its something to do and a lot of people enjoy it, but just as many find it tedious. 

There are some new instances and a decent amount of new high-level content if you've been gone a year, and the combat system has changed quite a lot in that time as well, so you'll probably get some mileage out of experimenting with classes before you settle on a favorite.

I'd say its never too late to start LotRo, as its one of the more content-rich games on the market.  High level can get repetitive, but what mmo isn't.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

The answer to the title question, it is never too late to try an MMO unless they said they are shutting it down later in the month.

LotRO has come along nicely, there is end game content, there are lots of guilds, leveling is fast

• spikenogspikenog Member Posts: 283

In regard to classes. I tend to enjoy playing one that is capable solo in both pve and pvp but still wanted/ needed in groups.

Are there a few classes to look into with these game play goals in mind?

Thanks for the answers thus far.

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319
    Originally posted by spikenog

In regard to classes. I tend to enjoy playing one that is capable solo in both pve and pvp but still wanted/ needed in groups.
    Are there a few classes to look into with these game play goals in mind?

Thanks for the answers thus far.

Look into the Minstrel, most sought after class in a group, and can solo well.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• kamikkazekamikkaze Member Posts: 83

one problem i found when i created a second char was the lack of players for fellowship quests. it aws hard to find ppl and a few times i requested a help from a high level. 'Course u can ask help from kinmates if your are in a kinship but i like to play with ppl who is actually need the quest, who is in the same level...

but answering your question...u can start any time just pick a server with a decent population

LOTRO player

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Dang, that's fast. I personally have about 300 hours into the game and am only 44th level. Granted, most of the time I log in, trying to find something to actually do, rather than actively leveling (I'm basically out of quests).

I guess if you have people to quest with or power level you, it's quicker. But it's by far the slowest leveling game I've played, and I've played Korean grinders.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Its taken me 5 days playing time to get to 37, its my first character but I can't exactly say its the fatest leveling i've had in an MMO, this to me is a good thing, leveling should take time.

As for the low level grouping, I personally never found it a problem, most people advertise for groups and if you reach out to other players you will easily get a group.

I play this and WoW back and forth, can't pick my favourite

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

Dang, that's fast. I personally have about 300 hours into the game and am only 44th level. Granted, most of the time I log in, trying to find something to actually do, rather than actively leveling (I'm basically out of quests).
    I guess if you have people to quest with or power level you, it's quicker. But it's by far the slowest leveling game I've played, and I've played Korean grinders.

Jeremy its impossible (or atleast I thought so) to run out of quests at lvl 44. Leveling 44-50 is probably the easiest in the game since there are so many options, i think you can level 44-50 only in Forochel by doing solo quests then you have Angmar, Misty mountains, Tal bruinen and Eregion (lvl 48).

YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING VERY WRONG!

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

I've been playing this game for two and a half months and hit level 60 about a week ago. If anything, leveling in this game is too fast (not AoC warp speed fast mind you but it's still too quick imo).

...and how are you out of quests? There are entire areas of zone I simply skipped because I already outleveled them or simply didn't have the room in my quest log to even attempt them.

Not trying to pick on you or anything, I just can't fathom where you get the idea this game is laborious when it comes to leveling or how you can have no quests left to do.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.