Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Chronicles of Spellborn: Acclaim Clears Up North American Plans

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Earlier today, word came out that the original developer of The Chronicles of Spellborn had gone under and that Frogster would redevelop the game with a microtransaction business model. 

Acclaim, the US publisher of Spellborn, has confirmed that they will be involved and relaunch the game in the United States in 2010 as well.

ACCLAIM GAMES ANNOUNCES RE-DEVELOPMENT FOR “SPELLBORN”

The Chronicles of Spellborn to re-launch with micro-transaction model in 2010.

Los Angeles, CA (June 29, 2009) – Acclaim Games announces the re-development of their recent MMORPG The Chronicles of Spellborn which was released in February, 2009. The development is planned to carry into 2010 and will include several enhancements and changes to the current game. The enhancements and development of the new model will be carried through a joint venture between Spellborn NV and the development studio of Frogster Asia Co. Ltd. based in Seoul, the Korean studio bringing its expertise in the field of free-to-play and micro-transactions.

After the re-development, the current subscription model will be switched to a free-to-play system supported by micro-transactions. This will open the world of Spellborn to all players and give them a chance to experience the rich lore and game-play in its entirety.

Players who are currently playing the game will be able to continue playing the game in its current form via the subscription service. At the point where the new version is released, any unused subscriptions will be credited to their accounts. Any players who wish to register for a free account can sign up now at http://spellborn.acclaim.com.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Lets hope that the current contracts are subject of change as well... It kinda sucks that UK players are not allowed on Euroepan servers and are forced to play on US servers instead...

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by Reizla

Lets hope that the current contracts are subject of change as well... It kinda sucks that UK players are not allowed on Euroepan servers and are forced to play on US servers instead...

Um, you do realize the IP ban was lifted quite awhile ago? You can play on either the EU or US international servers. You just need to make sure you have the right client. At one point in time I was on both set's of servers. If your going to mention something like this, do your research first.

• toordtoord Member Posts: 139

Honestly now,

Who didn't see this coming? I've never seen such an awful beta and launch in a long while -- if ever. I blame the Spellborn, NV, Acclaim itself and, of course, the fanbois.

Peace.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by mackdawg19

Um, you do realize the IP ban was lifted quite awhile ago? You can play on either the EU or US international servers. You just need to make sure you have the right client. At one point in time I was on both set's of servers. If your going to mention something like this, do your research first.

Didn't know that, and didn't bother to search for it... I was there in CB and at launch, and at the time it was clearly stated that the IP block would remain...

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Didn't know that, and didn't bother to search for it... I was there in CB and at launch, and at the time it was clearly stated that the IP block would remain...

yeah...it's been gone for quite a while, man. But it was stuff like this that contributed to the game's ultimate demise.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by toord

Honestly now,
    Who didn't see this coming? I've never seen such an awful beta and launch in a long while -- if ever. I blame the Spellborn, NV, Acclaim itself and, of course, the fanbois.
    Peace.

I agree, it was a horrible launch. It was almost as if one day there was a post "ok, by the way guys, we are launching Chronicles of Spellborn, but only in Europe for now, have a nice day".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by toord

Honestly now,
    Peace.

I agree, it was a horrible launch. It was almost as if one day there was a post "ok, by the way guys, we are launching Chronicles of Spellborn, but only in Europe for now, have a nice day".

I think you mean "only in certain parts of Europe"....what a disaster that was, the amount of posts on various forums from people desperate to give the game a go but  were unsure if they could actually play was staggering...very badly handled.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

This game was made by an indie developer, right? Such a sad end for it...

• ninjajucerninjajucer Member Posts: 219

The game model was a butchering at best. To seriously ask people to pay for it is mind-ogling. Not that its a bad game, but it does need work. The very fact that they went with a P2P model with limited availability in europe (and USA) showed a true lack of knowledge of how to do a major release of a game. Imitation is a form of flattery and nobody would have questioned them if they went the F2P model with a shop and a wide release with no IP ban or limit countries access. Now, we shall never know as the company failed as everyone expected, and based on the overall reactions so far, nobody really cares.

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

I knew this was gonna happen. I thought to myself during the Acclaim's beta period, that Spellborn would not last a year as a P2P game and that it would become a F2P game.  Its a good game don't get me wrong, but it could never stack up to the big AAA titles out there. Its got the same problems as D&D Online, which DDO is going F2P as well.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I think the largest difficulty The Chronicles of Spellborn faced and still faces was the way it was released with what seemed to be half a dozen different liscensed distributors in Europe alone. When you break up your customer base into small clusters it's really hard for them to share their experience and MMORPGs are based largely on the experience of them.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • craynloncraynlon Member Posts: 255
    Originally posted by ninjajucer

The game model was a butchering at best. To seriously ask people to pay for it is mind-ogling. Not that its a bad game, but it does need work. The very fact that they went with a P2P model with limited availability in europe (and USA) showed a true lack of knowledge of how to do a major release of a game. Imitation is a form of flattery and nobody would have questioned them if they went the F2P model with a shop and a wide release with no IP ban or limit countries access. Now, we shall never know as the company failed as everyone expected, and based on the overall reactions so far, nobody really cares.

i agree but its kind of sad to see the mmo market from the pov as developer

for me tcos was a decent game with a ton of original ideas like the dress 2 impress, rotating skilldeck, manual aiming systems but in the end potential and innovation is not enough anymore.

a few years back i believe tcos could have grown slowly like we have seen it with eve but the market today is overcrowded with mmos and lives on hyped (or lets say heavily marketed) mainstream games with huge dev teams.

a rather un-innovative but polished and feature rich game like aion seems to be the way to go over smaller independent games like spellborne

if your bored, visit my blog at:
    http://craylon.wordpress.com/ dealing with the look of mmos with the nvidia 3d vision glasses

• reyulreyul Member Posts: 2

The only reason why tcos wasn't a good P2P is that is a hardcore mmorpg  and the players aren't  prepared to play a hardcore mmorpg. they are usually playing some simple mmorpg to learn like wow . and in europe is also the ploblem that you can't still play with the hole continent

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by reyul

The only reason why tcos wasn't a good P2P is that is a hardcore mmorpg  and the players aren't  prepared to play a hardcore mmorpg. they are usually playing some simple mmorpg to learn like wow . and in europe is also the ploblem that you can't still play with the hole continent

Are the raids hardcore or the PvP? Just curious what makes Spellborn a "hardcore" MMO.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Redline65

Are the raids hardcore or the PvP? Just curious what makes Spellborn a "hardcore" MMO.

Apparently a rotating hotbar is "hardcore".

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by Redline65

Apparently a rotating hotbar is "hardcore".

lol now THAT'S funny!

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."