Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Borg?

Will there be Borg?

Comments

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

Not playable from the last I read. Really unbalanced race compard to the others.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Watch the video.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• sykopath909sykopath909 Member Posts: 7

Any idea about an expected release date? xD

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

Before March 31, 2010

or at least that is what they are hoping for.

Source:

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6209711/atari-inc-ceo-talks-e3-no-show-star-trek-online-due-pre-april-2010

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

You see a few Borg cubes in the video, but not as a playable race (although that would be cool).

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

well the feds at least have picked up on the borgs adaptive shield tech, undoubtedly the other player races will have to some degree too, and better weapons to penetrate shields that adapt to them quickly as well, but ya borg ships stats are ludicrously overpowered compared to normal vessels.  remember a cube is a cubic mile, 100x more massive then an average battleship and roughly that much more powerfull and hard to destroy.  as an npc opponent this is ok, so it takes a raid to bring a cube down, thats cool,  as a player race who would want to risk a ship that expensive getting overwhelmed and who would want to fight one knowing itll take a fleet to bring down?  hehe.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905
    Originally posted by neorandom

well the feds at least have picked up on the borgs adaptive shield tech, undoubtedly the other player races will have to some degree too, and better weapons to penetrate shields that adapt to them quickly as well, but ya borg ships stats are ludicrously overpowered compared to normal vessels.  remember a cube is a cubic mile, 100x more massive then an average battleship and roughly that much more powerfull and hard to destroy.  as an npc opponent this is ok, so it takes a raid to bring a cube down, thats cool,  as a player race who would want to risk a ship that expensive getting overwhelmed and who would want to fight one knowing itll take a fleet to bring down?  hehe.

Not to mention they also had scout cubes and those spherical things.

• angriffangriff Member Posts: 154

I dont know how you could play the borg?  You would have to walk around not seeing anybody until they attacked you. 

It would be nice though if you got captured by the borg that for some time you could do nothing in the game except walk slowly doing things unless you were attacked.  Have to have you buddies come rescue you from the borg.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

The nature of the borg would prohibit it as a viable race for players.  In fact, they are the perfect NPC's, controlled by the hive mind.

If a player were to have a borg character, they would need to have very little control, very litle choice.  What fun would that be?

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Yeah Borg would kinda suck as a player race. They are kinda like horror movie zombies. Individually they are not much of a threat but get a whole bunch together and they are a formidable force. Not to mention that you wouldn't be in control of most of your game... The hive mind would be. They are best kept as NPCs. Most that think it would be cool to be a Borg haven't thought it through to thoroughly.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

good point bren, aye the borg queen is the control of all the trillions of drones and their cubes.  voyager may or may not have managed to kill her but she was the voice that thundered in their minds driving them to do everything they did.

• adrianemeryadrianemery Member Posts: 250

ooooo imagine being caught by the Borg cubes....

I suppose you could be a borg causualty of war, like 7 of 9 or Picard just after "The Best Of Both Worlds",  you have been assimilated but was rescued and now some wierd hybrid.

Any extra powers you get thtough would need a serious reduction in others to balence it.

It could even be achieveable by a big quest chain, but pure Borg is teh perfect Raid boss as others have said.

• ianonmmorpgianonmmorpg Member Posts: 248

To be honest I always considered the Borg to have a flawed ecology, so much power and so many numbers and yet they dont rule the galaxy?

A sizable force, the likes we saw knocking around in Voyager, would walk through the Federation and the entire Alpha Quadrant, this can be seen in the effectiveness of a single cube versus entire fleets. Sure a few advanced worlds may be able to see off a limited incursion but the Borg need only rape everyone else and then swamp these pockets of resistance to prove their often quoted statement 'resistance is futile'. To introduce the Borg as anything but an NPC bogeyman is to open this flawed ecology to detailed examination... in short I imagine the developers simply cant come up with a set of rationals that would provide what we would expect from the Borg without either unbalancing the game or placing restrictions upon Borg players that would make it less than fun.

Plus as previously mentioned, being a PC drone would need to be very restrictive, you could have specific missions to perform but it would be as a a series of nameless drones (and so assume the role as the whole force rather than as an individual) rather than enjoy the character progression as employed with 'conventional' characters.

• SpezzSpezz Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by ianonmmorpg

To be honest I always considered the Borg to have a flawed ecology, so much power and so many numbers and yet they dont rule the galaxy?
    A sizable force, the likes we saw knocking around in Voyager, would walk through the Federation and the entire Alpha Quadrant, this can be seen in the effectiveness of a single cube versus entire fleets. Sure a few advanced worlds may be able to see off a limited incursion but the Borg need only rape everyone else and then swamp these pockets of resistance to prove their often quoted statement 'resistance is futile'. To introduce the Borg as anything but an NPC bogeyman is to open this flawed ecology to detailed examination... in short I imagine the developers simply cant come up with a set of rationals that would provide what we would expect from the Borg without either unbalancing the game or placing restrictions upon Borg players that would make it less than fun.
    Plus as previously mentioned, being a PC drone would need to be very restrictive, you could have specific missions to perform but it would be as a a series of nameless drones (and so assume the role as the whole force rather than as an individual) rather than enjoy the character progression as employed with 'conventional' characters.

The only real answer to that is they might be waiting for other races to advance in technology and discover new things, the borg assimilate and only know what they assimilate and due to their nature to not think for themselves they can only use what they know and not monopolise on that (I think)

if they wait till species are more advanced they learn more

back on topic... I'd love to play as borg, too bad we can't :(

++ the voyager episode Endgame pt2 where Janeway does 'a crippling blow to the borg' is truely awesome.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I went round and round with people over this issue on the STO website. I personally don't see what the issue is with playable borg. They haven't been a huge unstoppable force since Best of Both Worlds, so the whole complaint of making them weaker for balance is mute. Every playable race belongs to a military faction where you take orders, so that whole argument on choice is also mute. Far as it not being fun to play, I don't think playing a faction whose sole purpose is to explore and be naive of other cultures while doing away with money is very fun to play either. If the Federation is done right, you won't be able to fire first on anyone, nor be able to aquire profit. Personally I find that type of faction zero fun to play with, but I don't think my personal view of what faction is fun to play should have any bearing on this game. I think there should be Federation,Klingon,Romulan,Cardassian,Breen,Dominion and yes, even Borg.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft