Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF Original EQ mid-blowing experience

Udo_DUdo_D Member Posts: 14

I remember when I was wandering around in the darkness for days as a starting dark elf in the original EQ and, then, miraculously I found a zone out to East Commons or something, and oh how very bright it was.  I was promptly attacked by a lion and killed.  But I will always remember what were then incredible graphics, huge population, and the sense of magic / exploration around every corner.  I haven't found that from any MMO in the past 10 years.  Any tips appreciated, wish I could be more specific.

Comments

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

Final Fantasy XI!

• NicksdNicksd Member Posts: 403

I am going to assume EQ was your first MMO. I will say that you will never have that feeling again. I know I shouldn't but I end up compairing games to my first MMO, only to be met with disappointment. Each new game has their own atmosphere, and they should. All I can tell you is to go into new games that you play with an open mind and don't expect it to be good or bad. You need to put yourself into the current game, not stay in the past.

• fischsemmelfischsemmel Member UncommonPosts: 364

I wish I could point you to an MMO that would replicate that expereience... but I can't.

EQ was my first MMO, about 10 years ago. I have come close to duplicating the fun and feeling I had while playing EQ since (with shadowbane, eve online, and a few times in WoW)... but I've never really matched it.

I'm convinced that I will never feel about an MMO the way I did about EQ until someone really does create a true, next generation MMO.

• AarinakAarinak Member UncommonPosts: 69

Despite what people may say about Sony, give Vanguard a try... it is a different experience than EQ, but it sometimes truly has that same sorta feel.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by Aarinak

Despite what people may say about Sony, give Vanguard a try... it is a different experience than EQ, but it sometimes truly has that same sorta feel.

no offense but EQ has a bigger population then Vanguard. Dont get me wrong its worth a try but unfortunetly there are more people also on trial island then there is on the main land aswell. I resubd to Vanguard a couple months back had no problems getting groups on the island soon as i left all i could hear was the sounds of crickets as no one was around to group anymore. i like to solo dont get me wrong but when i want to group i like to too and your just not able to do so in VSOH.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Good to hear that an MMO is selling somewhere, with so much bad news lately about games being shut down.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

The problem is not that the games are worse than EQ.

The problem is that the player base is jaded now.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• coruncorun Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Nicksd

I am going to assume EQ was your first MMO. I will say that you will never have that feeling again. I know I shouldn't but I end up compairing games to my first MMO, only to be met with disappointment.

At least for me that is not true.  Ultima Online, Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot all where able to create "the feeling" (TM), but the rest in between and after failed in that aspect. I can't tell exactly why but thats how it is :)

So yes, I think there can be new games that feel as exciting as your first MMO, they just have to be done right.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

+1

If you're looking for a similar feeling to EQ and you haven't tried Vanguard yet, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. There's a free trial, so it won't cost you anything. Nothing to lose, everything to gain if you find what you're looking for.

Yes, the population is spread out, but I didn't have too many issues finding groups. And besides, the one part of EQ that I hated back in the day was siting around for literally HOURS not being able to do shite because I couldn't get a group. At least in Vanguard you don't get stuck doing nothing. You can still do quests and such, and they're not all easy-mode stuff. So not only do you continue to progress, but you also get a sense of accomplishment.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by TheMaelstrom

+1

If you're looking for a similar feeling to EQ and you haven't tried Vanguard yet, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. There's a free trial, so it won't cost you anything. Nothing to lose, everything to gain if you find what you're looking for.

Yes, the population is spread out, but I didn't have too many issues finding groups. And besides, the one part of EQ that I hated back in the day was siting around for literally HOURS not being able to do shite because I couldn't get a group. At least in Vanguard you don't get stuck doing nothing. You can still do quests and such, and they're not all easy-mode stuff. So not only do you continue to progress, but you also get a sense of accomplishment.

well all the quests worth doing in Vanguard need groups. All the solo ones are boring.