Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

will this be a good MMORPG?

grasmatjegrasmatje Member UncommonPosts: 1

Hey guys,

Im just new to aion and this weekend will be my first closed beta event.

So i was wondering, Is this a new mmorpg? not just like other mmorpgs?

All the mmorpgs are the same lately, so if aion is diffrence can you tell me what the diffrence would be?

Im just not sure what i can espect from this game because all the MMORPG'S are just the same...

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by grasmatje

Hey guys,

All the mmorpgs are the same lately, so if aion is diffrence can you tell me what the diffrence would be?

Im just not sure what i can espect from this game because all the MMORPG'S are just the same...

Get ready for an avalanche of opinions here mate. Honestly just play the game this weekend beyond level 10 (get your wings and leave the starting zones) and make the judgement for yourself.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by vmoped

Hey guys,

Get ready for an avalanche of opinions here mate. Honestly just play the game this weekend beyond level 10 (get your wings and leave the starting zones) and make the judgement for yourself.

Cheers!

I have hope for it but as you say, i will know more this weekend. I like the artwork, gameplay is yet to be seen.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Like any mmo, you really need to play it for yourself.

That said, I had a really great time playing this game for the first two beta weekends.  The graphics are great, the world and lore are fresh, the community is friendly and exciting.  I burned myself out on WoW long ago, and this is the first time in over a year that i've been able to really lose myself in an online game.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

I wouldn't say there is anything groundbreaking in the game, but it feels like a good solid MMO.

I haven't got to experience it yet, but the Abyss sounds wonderful with open world bosses and a 3rd, AI controlled, faction to help keep things in check.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Hard to tell right now.  Like the peeps are saying, just try out the beta, make lvl20 and do a little crafting / pvp and find the answer for yourself.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• LusafurLusafur Member Posts: 52

The game is very polished,but it offers more,such as flight

• AdrammelechAdrammelech Member Posts: 34

If your definition of "good" MMORPG means "different" MMORPG, then no, you probably won't enjoy this game. Aion isn't innovative, nor is it trying to be. It's a solid, well-polished traditional MMORPG. Shock/horror.

To rant a little, I really don't understand this focus the MMORPG community in general has on "innovation", or expecting every new game to either completely change the genre or be a failure. I mean, a genre is a genre for a reason - "a class or category of artistic endeavor having a particular form, content, technique, or the like". Most fans of things, from science fiction to hip-hop, hold their genre traditions in high regard - MMORPG fans seem to demonize them.

I have a feeling a lot of people aren't really fans of the MMORPG genre, but rather the image of what they think the genre should be. Afterall, this sort of complaint is pretty unique to MMORPGs. You don't see FPS fans claiming a new game sucks because it contains guns and a first-person camera.

"They possess power unparalleled...
    Ageless, remorseless. Without pity or conscience.
    Manipulators of evolution on countless worlds.
    Gods of the stars... the Celestial Host."

• InSane103InSane103 Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Adrammelech

If your definition of "good" MMORPG means "different" MMORPG, then no, you probably won't enjoy this game. Aion isn't innovative, nor is it trying to be. It's a solid, well-polished traditional MMORPG. Shock/horror.
    To rant a little, I really don't understand this focus the MMORPG community in general has on "innovation", or expecting every new game to either completely change the genre or be a failure. I mean, a genre is a genre for a reason - "a class or category of artistic endeavor having a particular form, content, technique, or the like". Most fans of things, from science fiction to hip-hop, hold their genre traditions in high regard - MMORPG fans seem to demonize them.
    I have a feeling a lot of people aren't really fans of the MMORPG genre, but rather the image of what they think the genre should be. Afterall, this sort of complaint is pretty unique to MMORPGs. You don't see FPS fans claiming a new game sucks because it contains guns and a first-person camera.

You said everything I think. Will you make love to me?

But on topic: the best way to find out what the game is like is just to try it out.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Yes they are.

And this is a pretty good answer/opinion:

Afterall, this sort of complaint is pretty unique to MMORPGs. You don't see FPS fans claiming a new game sucks because it contains guns and a first-person camera.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• GamerDude5GamerDude5 Member UncommonPosts: 37

Ever since DarkFall Ive never wanted to play a skill bashing game again... Aion has good graphics, but exactly like every MMO out there nothing new and all that.... You would be better off waiting for mortal Online or something from my experience all the games that have had good graphics have failed.. Such as Vanguard even though they are fixing some things now, if you want a flying game with decent graphics for free PW can give you that  I wouldnt waste any money on this game.

• rr2realrr2real Member Posts: 448

Hey guys,

you're better off just playing wow

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by rr2real

Hey guys,

you're better off just playing wow

Ahh the inevitable WOW clone comment. Where you been? Took you long enough.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I am somehow sceptical about the "it is polished" arguments. It sounds a bit like:

"I like this politician. Be cause he does nothing, he does nothing wrong."

Just a bit sceptical, please don´t jump me, you 50 owners of AION-Fansites. ;)

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786
    Originally posted by Herodes

I am somehow sceptical about the "it is polished" arguments. It sounds a bit like:
    "I like this politician. Be cause he does nothing, he does nothing wrong."
    Just a bit sceptical, please don´t jump me, you 50 owners of AION-Fansites. ;)

People make these comments because  a game not being polished is one of the key complaints often made about new MMO's.  This game is definitely polished, but it also has a lot of other things going for it.

PvPvE, Great Lore, an Amazing world, an excited fan-base with a great attitude which really counts for a lot in an MMO.

Bottom line:  Try it for yourself, that's the only way to know for sure.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by vmoped

Hey guys,

Cheers!

This is excellant advice. Peeps simply need to play Aion and make the decision whether they like the game for themselves.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by InSane103

You said everything I think. Will you make love to me?

But on topic: the best way to find out what the game is like is just to try it out.

lol, yeah that was an exceptionally good post.

I think one of the reasons that we see those types of questions is that mmo's are the closest that we see a game world actually become a world. Not all the time mind you but when you buy Doom III or Rise of the Argonauts or Rome Total war, the game is pretty much a game with very set parameters.

But MMO's have the potential to reflect so much more. Therefore you get a good amount of people who want them to transcend the game part and give them the complete whole make your own adventure part.

And as everyone has a completely different idea as to what would make that adventure interesting you get a lot of people asking if the game somehow transcends what has gone before and whether or not it is closer to what they would want in a "world".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VallkyraVallkyra Member UncommonPosts: 61

I don't understand these wow like complaints, you play any old game lacking the new fetaures and you'd feel atleast somewhat unsatified.  Just think of playing a game with difficult chat menus, no AH or mail system, combat based purely around auto attack or magic spells, Skill A looks just like superior Skill B, armor and weapons looking genericly the same out o a grand total of 10 models, a guild being nothing more than a new chat channel, and best of all walking to get EVERYWHERE.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

i dont understand the complainings either, world of warcraft was good game , how its today i dont know cause i dont play anymore. but if Aion is as good as world of warcraft was atleast its brilliant, i mean what if its quite same gameplay? gameplay was great in wow. what if the quests are repeatitive kill 10 this and that. its still something new and hopefully fun again,

think of it like world of warcraft with new clothes and hopefully do very good with it!