Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In need of exploration, any help?

GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

So, I used to be into MMOs. Started playing WoW, and played for about three years until I just got sick of the game. Before playing WoW I had played CoH and Lineage 2 with an RL friend. While playing L2 we had great adventures, before reaching level 10 we had explored half of the world and ran from many dangers- while being rewarded by finding some nice eye candy scenery! A hidden waterfall, a cliff hanging over the ocean, amazing valleys, and old ruins.

We had more fun exploring together and finding new places than we ended up having while leveling up and getting into the end game content. As most of you know, WoW is not great for exploring and is not very deep of a game. I'm looking for a game that my friend and I can play together again, with decent graphics and plenty of land to explore.

Anyone who knows of some games that don't give you a trail to follow from the start, please tell me! I'm just looking for something to pass the time over the next few months that will be playable for my buddy and I. Free or Pay we do not care, just want some good old fun and "oh my" moments.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can lend a hand here :)

Comments

• AarinakAarinak Member UncommonPosts: 69

Vanguard, Vanguard, Vanguard.

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

I agree Vanguard has a gigantic world with a lot of cool places to explore.  One of my favorite exploration memories was when I found a wrecked ship on a small cliff over the ocean.  I went inside and found a hole leading down into the cliff.  I fell down the hole into a pool of water in a small cavern.  I swam under the water through an underwater cave and into another cavern.  I was promptly killed by things far too hard for me once in the other cavern, but it is still one of my favorite memories because I thought it was such a cool entrance to an area.

• kingfelixkingfelix Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Originally posted by feena750

I agree Vanguard has a gigantic world with a lot of cool places to explore.  One of my favorite exploration memories was when I found a wrecked ship on a small cliff over the ocean.  I went inside and found a hole leading down into the cliff.  I fell down the hole into a pool of water in a small cavern.  I swam under the water through an underwater cave and into another cavern.  I was promptly killed by things far too hard for me once in the other cavern, but it is still one of my favorite memories because I thought it was such a cool entrance to an area.

That sounds awesome! Too bad Vanguard lags like a mother fucker for me. I really enjoyed it other than that too.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I had a lot of fun with exploration in Guild Wars, aside from the missions that are a linear progression of each campaign's storylines, there are the exploreable areas that are impressively beautiful - at least for me. Together with the "fog" in unexplored areas, I had a lot of fun exploring to uncover them.

In fact I still play Guild Wars, but since I've pretty much explored all the areas, I only log in once in a while to do some good random pvp and do some Zaishen quests.

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

Yeah I eventually quit too because my computer couldn't handle it (darn laptop).  Once I get a new computer though I plan on coming back.  I loved diplomacy.

• GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

Thanks for all the replies so fast! This was my first post and I am very pleased to actually find people who are willing to offer their aid!

I downloaded the trial of the game, but for some reason when I go to launch it, all it does is exit out. Trying to find someone to help solve the problem- no luck so far =(

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283

Another game that you might give some consideration to is Final Fantasy XI: Most people would agree with the  fact that this game has an abundance of areas to explore (I love the art style, too -- although that's a subjective statement).  The scope of FFXI (from a geographical standpoint) is absolutely enormous -- I've never found myself with a lack of activities in which to partake.

I believe that a 14 day trial is available from the official website as wel.