Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Chronicles of Spellborn going to shut down.... /moved

Comments

• notercnoterc Member Posts: 5

MMOs are dead to me, no way I can get back to crappy mmos like aion or Idontknowwhatshittygameisgonnabethenexthype after spending 6 months on a game so unique. And sadly I don't expect a korean team to make a great work while tuning a game based on european culture into some crappy F2P shit.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

Sad to see it go, but like others said, there was nothign really special about the gane.  The battle system although different was not better in any way.  The graphics were nothing special, more weird than good.  The newbie experience was really terrible, esspecially the tutorial space boat area.  I was easily killing multiple lvl 7 or 8 mobs at lvl 4 by just strafing around them.  That just didn't seem right at all.    The whole zone didn't seem alive, just constructed to be easy.  The animation wasn't too great either.

Maybe the game got better later on, but I don't care whats better at lvl 20 if its not good at lvl 1.  If people enjoyed it, they would play it, which means GOOD GAME.  Its always as simple as that.

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

I don't know, I'm more likely to play if it goes F2P with item mall than if it stayed P2P. After playing through the starter area I had no intentions of subscribing.

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124
    Originally posted by bobfish

Acclaim might buy it off them cheap and keep it running.

I thought this was acclaims goal right off the start. Launching the game months behind scedual, hardly advertizing the game, no real clue how to handle subscriptions...sell coins. Acclaim was the only reason I stayed away from this game. I did the trial and enjoyed the game tho.

It was pretty much the dumbest thing these devs coulda done...going with F2P companies to distribute their P2P game.

• CybercatCybercat Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Redline65

I don't know, I'm more likely to play if it goes F2P with item mall than if it stayed P2P. After playing through the starter area I had no intentions of subscribing.

I on the other hand prefer quality in my games and paying for them over playing any crap just because its free.

This could have been good niche game in the hands of a benevolent publisher.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357
    Originally posted by talismen351

I thought this was acclaims goal right off the start. Launching the game months behind scedual, hardly advertizing the game, no real clue how to handle subscriptions...sell coins. Acclaim was the only reason I stayed away from this game. I did the trial and enjoyed the game tho.

It was pretty much the dumbest thing these devs coulda done...going with F2P companies to distribute their P2P game.

Acclaim used to make good games!

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

Originally posted by sanders01

And now they snatch good games and turn them into f2p crap?

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578
    Originally posted by sanders01

Uhm the company called Acclaim to day has nothing to do with the old game developer with the same name. Its just a company that bought the name some time after the old company was closed.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Taken from the Spellborn Frogster forums

eu-players.tcos.com/forum/showthread.php

Post by Kelas, community manager (German)

Hi all,

I cant speak in behalf of Spellborn NV, but still want to tell you a bit more. Frogster (which I do work for) just released a press announcement concerning the re-design into a free-to-play version with a joint venture of Spellborn NV and Frogster Asia Co. Ltd.

For now, the servers and system (subscription) will remain the way it is. There are still people available for running the daily work and systems. The F2P version is currently planned to launch in 2010.

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143
    Originally posted by jinxit

Hi all,
    I cant speak in behalf of Spellborn NV, but still want to tell you a bit more. Frogster (which I do work for) just released a press announcement concerning the re-design into a free-to-play version with a joint venture of Spellborn NV and Frogster Asia Co. Ltd.
    For now, the servers and system (subscription) will remain the way it is. There are still people available for running the daily work and systems. The F2P version is currently planned to launch in 2010.

So they're going to make the players keep paying subscriptions while basically telling them they aren't getting any new content until the game goes F2P. Hahaha wow.

Originally posted by abbaba

Originally posted by jinxit

Hi all,

So they're going to make the players keep paying subscriptions while basically telling them they aren't getting any new content until the game goes F2P. Hahaha wow.

We can keep paying to play on empty servers with only basic maintenance support, no bug fixes, no added content, nothing.

Wow indeed.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by mundus01

The I.P. blocking thing killed them right out of the gate,as far as I am concerned. Its too bad all their hard work will more than likely go right down the drain. Maybe they will do better on their next project if there is one.

Yup agreed ...  IP blocking ,segragation of the community ,arrogance from the Dev's with their like it ot lump it attitude killed this game off before it even had a chance. It a shame because it could have been really good , it is different enough but sad it seems its not going to get the chance, unless Acclaim buy it an keep it going that is.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

Wow!  Now, I'm ever so glad to have "won" a 30 day paid subscription to this FUBARed POS.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

tbh TCoS had nothing unique at all,nor innovative except their wheel system...

story? same old same old

levels? same old same old

classes? same old same old

not gear based? ok,not many RPGs go for this,some did before tho, and now are dead....do i see a pattern here?

PvE? same old same old, just even less than the norm

i wish the TCoS players could pull their heads out of their asses for a second and realize that their brilliant claims of how terrible day it is today are pure crap. TCoS was a fairly average title, from gfx to PvE to story, awful PvP, any redeeming quality.

Their only innovation was the wheel combat,and for each guy that liked that concept, 1000 disliked the whole idea.....

who cares it is innovative when its an epic fail the vast majority hates... a broom up your ass is an innovative fashion concept,but i doubt it catches in the runways :D

• notercnoterc Member Posts: 5

So you suggest for us dummies who really thought that TCoS was and still is innovative, to forget about it and go play a game that truely is innovative like Aion, or War, or AoC? Or maybe even WoW ? (yea, that is sarcasm)

Spellborn is not only innovative in its gameplay, but it simply is different than any other game you can find. "Different" games are getting so rare in the mmo world, that you guys can't even enjoy it when it's there, and that's the real shame.

Originally posted by noterc

So you suggest for us dummies who really thought that TCoS was and still is innovative, to forget about it and go play a game that truely is innovative like Aion, or War, or AoC? Or maybe even WoW ? (yea, that is sarcasm)
    Spellborn is not only innovative in its gameplay, but it simply is different than any other game you can find. "Different" games are getting so rare in the mmo world, that you guys can't even enjoy it when it's there, and that's the real shame.

i never mentioned those games, if i had to name one i'd say Savage 2, with all its flaws its billions of times more different to the rest and innovative than TCoS.

and at least WoW and Aion do ye gud olde stuff well, something that TCoS missed by a mile. double fail is fail

for some reason i will never understand TCoS players selfappointed some kind of "elite" status for liking that garbage, and considered themselves the climax of good taste and "think out of the box"...when the game has generic,unchallenging, uninteresting PvE, awful cookie cutter classes, your typical-dime-a-dozen "epic story" , beyond pathetic PvP arenas...and what else? right, nothing

different...innovative...what a joke

• Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271

Game is average at best. Characters look awkward. Their graphic style is a combination of Tim Burton, Asian, and Warcraft/Warhammer.  Gameguard turned me off very quickly. I had to create an entirely  new WIndows user with antivirus off and several other services disabled just to play. It also didn't run particularly well on my gtx280. That being said I didn't get deep into the game, but first impressions are everything with the current mmorpg customers.

Originally posted by arcdevil

Originally posted by noterc

i never mentioned those games, if i had to name one i'd say Savage 2, with all its flaws its billions of times more different to the rest and innovative than TCoS.

and at least WoW and Aion do ye gud olde stuff well, something that TCoS missed by a mile. double fail is fail

for some reason i will never understand TCoS players selfappointed some kind of "elite" status for liking that garbage, and considered themselves the climax of good taste and "think out of the box"...when the game has generic,unchallenging, uninteresting PvE, awful cookie cutter classes, your typical-dime-a-dozen "epic story" , beyond pathetic PvP arenas...and what else? right, nothing

different...innovative...what a joke

Did you even play the game? Or you maybe tried it and found you lack "gud ole stuff" like autto attack at lvl 3 and rage quit? Only good thing I see about WoW is that it somewhat keeps kiddies on one place instead having them pollute some other games.

Calling a game "garbage" without obviously having a single clue about it says more about you than the game and community you try to spit on.

• MATTPAWMATTPAW Member Posts: 1

G/Day and It seems Spellborn will be off line soon.  Just spent a month lvling up, getting comfortable with the rotating Skill deck and oops, another one bites the dust.  Back to Conan The Barb. and some pvp for now.  Spellborn had some definite problems with lag time between portals (mind numbingly slow) offen to the point of disconnect. Lack of weapon upgrades in lower lvls, armor strickly for show, quests requiring covering same ground repeatedly, etc.  Skill sigils where really only effective at end game, but Bodyslots were highly effective.  Cartoon Avts.  However, great scenes, and I was enjoying it.

MattPaw

Originally posted by Cybercat

Did you even play the game? Or you maybe tried it and found you lack "gud ole stuff" like autto attack at lvl 3 and rage quit? Only good thing I see about WoW is that it somewhat keeps kiddies on one place instead having them pollute some other games.

Calling a game "garbage" without obviously having a single clue about it says more about you than the game and community you try to spit on.

i dont play WoW, and i did play TCoS. and "gud ole stuff" involves a bit more than autoattack,like a decent PvP system, or working skills, or meaningful-challenging PvE, or a damn endgame

but if you played TCoS i doubt you can understand what  "gud olde stuff" means since TCoS had none of that...actually had none of anything but crap.

now all your baseless assumptions missed the mark, please feel free to get back to your usual failing.

Originally posted by arcdevil

Originally posted by Cybercat

i dont play WoW, and i did play TCoS. and "gud ole stuff" involves a bit more than autoattack,like a decent PvP system, or working skills, or meaningful-challenging PvE, or a damn endgame

but if you played TCoS i doubt you can understand what  "gud olde stuff" means since TCoS had none of that...actually had none of anything but crap.

now all your baseless assumptions missed the mark, please feel free to get back to your usual failing.

Such an angry little boy arent you?

Here is another assumption - none ever took some trouble to teach you the difference between the facts and opinion.

The fact - Spellborn is dead, have some decency and let it rest in peace.

Opinion - you think the game is bad, I think its good. The only proper way to express your opinion to matter anything is to have respect for other peoples opinions, even if they disagree with you.

The only real failure I see here are your manners.

• krityckrityc Member UncommonPosts: 175

I called this after playing the game during the free release week.

[(T+G=W)=Gr*Nf]-S=FoF
    T=Time G=Gear W=Win Gr=Grind Nf=NoFun S=Skill FoF=FullofFail

"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's azz by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?" - Tommy Boy

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Chance of success in this business is quite low, and the economy certainly is squeezing the less profitable titles out of the market.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

The thing is I see a far more heathly place in the market for this game over soo many other subbed games, I just feel that they suffered greatly from poor decisions and publishing at the start, when things are so important and they never really recovered from it.

Add this to the situation stated from Kyleran and you are just asking for trouble.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Well.. here we have to blame the publisher, and the really strange "release". 

If you call "release" releasing the game in 2 countrys .... in a total random way.