Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

faction changes coming soon to WoW. Sigh

mmorpg's flop faster then mcdonalds cheese burgers these days.

Comments

• shad0w99shad0w99 Member Posts: 168

Oh dear lord...

I don't know whether that's a good thing or not. On one hand, I have an Alliance Hunter that I would love to be Horde if I still played (I don't play anymore... but still)

But on the other hand, it seems ridiculous and so unrealistic to be able to change race AND allegiance.

It's a very "WoW" thing to do though. Most important thing is how the current players take to it.

MMOs played (In order of how much I've liked them): Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Vanguard, City of Villains / Heroes, Guild Wars, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa, Anarchy Online, Ryzom, Final Fantasy XI, Matrix Online, RF Online, Rappelz, Hero Online, Roma Victor

• OldAgeJunkieOldAgeJunkie Member Posts: 207

It's a game breaker for me. I've already deleted it all and I'm done. Say good bye to battle grounds with billion horde and few alliance. This game has turned into a pile of garbage. Can't wait for a next MMO but until then I plan to relax and enjoy life.

• bobblerbobbler Member UncommonPosts: 810

:) I can not wait to change my female gnome warlock to horde.......

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I was wondering about this as well. EQ2 does this, so it's not something new. Still, it will be weird to see horde gnomes or alliance taurens.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by Xasapis

I was wondering about this as well. EQ2 does this, so it's not something new. Still, it will be weird to see horde gnomes or alliance taurens.

It says you will be transform, so i dont think you will have any race from the other side coming over. Maybe say a orc warrior, you will have the option to become an alliance human warrior.... something along this line i believe...

IF not, than  ally will finally be swamp by BE too...

RIP Orc Choppa

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

just another way of making money from people who want to switch factions.

Not a good idea at all in my opinion, but i have to wonder, will it be the same as character migration (£15 a pop to move each character) so if you have the max ammount (10 characters) that would cost £150 (no option to move all for 1 price or even several). Now faction, race change, well they would have to make it all characters at 1 payment on PvP servers (unable to play both factions on those on same server, unlike the PvE servers), so my question would be, would that cost price x however many characters you have on server = alot of money?

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

I love how so many people say this is a bad idea, or a "game breaker" but never explain why.

WTF would anyone care if someone else transfers a character from one faction to another?  Is it such a horrible thing for people to be able to play with their friends without starting from scratch?  For me, THAT would be the game breaker, and the only reason I'm still playing was that I could start a DK at 55 on a different server.   But I've got two near-80s sitting unused, that I will definitely transfer over.

• OldAgeJunkieOldAgeJunkie Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by rikilii

I love how so many people say this is a bad idea, or a "game breaker" but never explain why.
    WTF would anyone care if someone else transfers a character from one faction to another?  Is it such a horrible thing for people to be able to play with their friends without starting from scratch?  For me, THAT would be the game breaker, and the only reason I'm still playing was that I could start a DK at 55 on a different server.   But I've got two near-80s sitting unused, that I will definitely transfer over.

The explanation is that factions will be imbalanced on many servers resulting in high and low ratios for horde and alliance and resulting in fking up the battle grounds balance which is already screwed up to begin with. I do agree with you on the friends part but do you realize that everyone is going to go with the winning side in order to obtain gear much easier?. Do you realize that gold farmers will have the option of faction swapping to sell more gold to different servers. It's a HUGE dissapointment.

[Mod Edit]

• WarpigletWarpiglet Member Posts: 78

Blizzard is a company, the most important thing to them is the bottom line and constant growth of that line. While for years the bottom line was huge and growing, now it is shrinking. This is just a gimic, to pump money out of people. 25 bucks to click a automated server script, I hear they have Gnome slaves to do this menial task in the basement of Blizzards head office.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084
    Originally posted by OldAgeJunkie

Originally posted by rikilii

Hello idiot the explanation is that factions will be imbalanced on many servers resulting in high and low ratios for horde and alliance and resulting in fking up the battle grounds balance which is already screwed up to begin with. I do agree with you on the friends part but do you realize that everyone is going to go with the winning side in order to obtain gear much easier?. Do you realize that gold farmers will have the option of faction swapping to sell more gold to different servers. It's a HUGE dissapointment. Learn to comprehend.

Congratulations on obtaining your PhD in Rank Speculation and Idiotic Conjecture with No Factual Basis.

Server populations are already imbalanced, this can only make things better (especially if Blizz offers free switches to people on the dominant side)

Gear has nothing to do with what faction you're in....you get the best PVP gear by running Arena, which is totally independent of faction.  Nobody is going to switch factions just so they can get into a failboat VoA PUG one more time per week.

Gold farmers would never spend the $25 or 50 it costs to switch factions when they can bot level new characters for almost nothing.

Good job.  Have any more stupid complaints?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I kind of like the idea.

There will be a level restriction on it, maybe like you have to be at least level 70 or something to switch.

And you know what that means?

Not much since all of the content at end-game it doesn't matter what faction you are.

Might be kind of refreshing to switch sides, meet new people and create new guilds and such.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by KaitarBesh

Ugh *facepalm*

EQ2 handled it right.

WoW is...definitely not handling it right.  This game just gets more and more ... I dunno. I'm still waiting for the day that you can just roll level 80 toons right off the bat in full epic gear or something.

I don't think EQ2 handled it right, because soe failed to put any in game meaning to the two factions even though they said they would.  They tried and failed a few times with lame things like the sabotage quests, but overall you can't handle something right when it is a failed system in the first place.  The only thing that is important about eq2 factions is what starter city you will be excluded from.  Otherwise it is a meaningless faction system and it doesn't matter what faction your character is on.

Wow is doing something right, because it is still growing after many years. 

Originally posted by Daffid011

Ugh *facepalm*

EQ2 handled it right.

WoW is...definitely not handling it right.  This game just gets more and more ... I dunno. I'm still waiting for the day that you can just roll level 80 toons right off the bat in full epic gear or something.

I don't think EQ2 handled it right, because soe failed to put any in game meaning to the two factions even though they said they would.  They tried and failed a few times with lame things like the sabotage quests, but overall you can't handle something right when it is a failed system in the first place.  The only thing that is important about eq2 factions is what starter city you will be excluded from.  Otherwise it is a meaningless faction system and it doesn't matter what faction your character is on.

WoW is not growing, the WOTLK sales didn not come close to matching the subscription base in North America or the EU. Blizzard is getting the boots taken to them in Chinese courts so you can pretty much kiss those 5 million players good bye, WOTLK will be a dud when and if it finally gets released there. The Chinese seem to be flocking to Aion from NCsoft, it is growing 10 times faster then WoW did in China. Aion is also putting substantial pressure on WoW in Korea. While NA/EU remains to be seen, I suspect Aion will do quite well there, why you ask? Well play it and find out.

Mark my words, pretty soon Blizzard will be giving fully epic geared toons away to whomever wants to buy them, just so they can suck on the cash cow for a little bit longer.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by Warpiglet

Ugh *facepalm*

EQ2 handled it right.

WoW is not growing, the WOTLK sales didn not come close to matching the subscription base in North America or the EU. Blizzard is getting the boots taken to them in Chinese courts so you can pretty much kiss those 5 million players good bye, WOTLK will be a dud when and if it finally gets released there. The Chinese seem to be flocking to Aion from NCsoft, it is growing 10 times faster then WoW did in China. Aion is also putting substantial pressure on WoW in Korea. While NA/EU remains to be seen, I suspect Aion will do quite well there, why you ask? Well play it and find out.

Mark my words, pretty soon Blizzard will be giving fully epic geared toons away to whomever wants to buy them, just so they can suck on the cash cow for a little bit longer.

On the highlight point above.. worth putting things right.

Wotlk sold 2.8million copies in the first 24 hours http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/081120.html and has been in the top 3 sales spots ever since (8 months), I am sure WOTLK has sold more than enough to accomidate the ~5 million western subs.

last month WOTLK was the no.1 selling title - http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6209639.html?tag=result;title;4

TBC sold less, only 2.4million in the first 24 hours ... just for comparison.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I don't have a problem with but think they should restrict it to toons over level 70. Since I'm horde on my 4th server now it would be nice to transfer some of my 70s and 80s over to my new server. Though at this point my favorite activites in WoW are rolling alts to group with lower guilides, powering friends lowbies through dungeons, the argent tournament and just because I love the dungeon I do one solo run through dead side of strat every time I log on. I really love killing the Baron.

Originally posted by coffee

Ugh *facepalm*

EQ2 handled it right.

Wotlk sold 2.8million copies in the first 24 hours http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/081120.html and has been in the top 3 sales spots ever since (8 months), I am sure WOTLK has sold more than enough to accomidate the ~5 million western subs.

last month WOTLK was the no.1 selling title - http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6209639.html?tag=result;title;4

Just so you know, WOTLK was released world wide (minus china) and those sales stats are world wide stats. It is far short of its subscriber base, and to be honest I know hundreds of people who after a couple months in WOTLK and basically getting everything done the expac had to offer they packed the game in.

IRVINE, Calif. - November 20, 2008 - Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that World of Warcraft®'s second expansion, Wrath of the Lich King™, has sold more than 2.8 million copies in its first 24 hours of availability*, making it the fastest-selling PC game of all time. This eclipses the previous record of nearly 2.4 million copies sold in 24 hours, set in January 2007 by Blizzard's first World of Warcraft expansion, The Burning Crusade®. Wrath of the Lich King was simultaneously released in North America, Europe, Chile, Argentina, and Russia on November 13; Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand on November 14; and South Korea and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau on November 18.

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667

It all depends, I think this idea was based on a few things, money being in the #1 slot, but also for players like myself.

I left Alliance when the BC came out. I have a 70 Gnome Mage and a 70 Shaman sitting on an alliance PvE server that hasn't been touched since 2 weeks after launch of BC.

I really like them, but my family plays on a horde side pvp server.

I rerolled there and made a hunter, simply because they are the fastest at the time to level and because i really didn't want to play though the same 2 classes all over again.

Now I finally get to dust off those 2 classes that I spent a TON of time on, and xfer them to my horde server where I can finally level them up.

I have 2 RL friends that also spent a ton of time on our alliance server, and they really wanted to come to horde with me, but the thought of leveling another toon to 80 for them was just to much so they stayed.

1 of them commented just 2 weeks ago that his server sucks and he wished back then he had followed me, but it was to late. If only they had a faction change service he would do it in a heartbeat so he could come play with me and our other RL friends.

I think Blizzard is targeting these types of players, ones like me who leveled opposite faction toons very hard back in the day but lost them due to leaving servers for other sides, and players like my buddy who really wants to come horde to play with friends, just refuses to start over.

So now we both get what we want and it will make playing on my server much more enjoyable now because I can be with my friends and play and start new adventures.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Originally posted by coffee

Ugh *facepalm*

EQ2 handled it right.

Just so you know, WOTLK was released world wide (minus china) and those sales stats are world wide stats. It is far short of its subscriber base, and to be honest I know hundreds of people who after a couple months in WOTLK and basically getting everything done the expac had to offer they packed the game in.

IRVINE, Calif. - November 20, 2008 - Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that World of Warcraft®'s second expansion, Wrath of the Lich King™, has sold more than 2.8 million copies in its first 24 hours of availability*, making it the fastest-selling PC game of all time. This eclipses the previous record of nearly 2.4 million copies sold in 24 hours, set in January 2007 by Blizzard's first World of Warcraft expansion, The Burning Crusade®. Wrath of the Lich King was simultaneously released in North America, Europe, Chile, Argentina, and Russia on November 13; Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand on November 14; and South Korea and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau on November 18.

yes WoW subs are around 5-6million when you take away china and of those .. well say 5.5million half bought the xpac on release day ... its safe to say wotlk sold atleast 2.6milion copies to make up the remaining of the 5.5million in the 8 months following the release ( average 300,000 a month).. Wotlk being in the top 3 and more often than not #1 spot for those 8 months is proof enough.

100% of subs where not at max cap and readly for the 2nd xpac on release day.

And TBC released in those countries too on release day and as It sold less copies in 24hours. in fact Wotlk was released in less countries on day 1 than TBC and still sold more. figure that.

IRVINE, Calif. - January 23, 2007 - Blizzard Entertainment® today announced that World of Warcraft®: The Burning Crusade™ has broken the day-one sales record to become the fastest-selling PC game ever in North America and Europe, with a worldwide total of nearly 2.4 million copies sold in the first 24 hours of availability. The Burning Crusade, the first expansion set for World of Warcraft, was simultaneously released in North America, Europe, Singapore, Thailand, and Malaysia on January 16, and on January 17 in Australia and New Zealand.

Bottom line between TBC and WoTLK WoW has shown growth.