Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poor framerate when moving--is this normal?

Hi everyone.  I'm trying the game and like it so far, but when my character moves, the framerate drops drastically.  Other players move choppily through my view, but nothing else behaves this way--everything else looks and behaves fine.   I can put the settings on Very High and the environment and NPCs are completely smooth, so it seems to be when the client is interacting with server.  

I have a very good computer and the game auto-detects settings for Very High general quality (Dual-core 2.2, 8800GT, 4GB, XP Pro) and I have a very fast network connection; I commonly download at 600-800KBps and Speedtest confirms this, even just now. 

I've tweaked visual settings all over, but nothing improves performance, even dropping everything to low settings.  If this is normal, I just don't think I'll put up with it to play the game--it's far worse than WAR was when it first launched.  

Thanks.

*edit for a couple more details

Comments

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334

This is not normal. I have a decent computer with an 8800 GTX and I can run the game at the highest graphics settings with smooth animations. Not sure what the problem is with your set up. Are your video card drivers up to date?

You could also try re-installing the LOTRO client.

• RedKhusRedKhus Member Posts: 13

Thanks for the quick reply, wow :) .  

Hmm I think they are up to date, but I'll check that right away.  I'm still on Trial account, but thought I'd buy it this weekend...surely they don't throttle trials?

Originally posted by RedKhus

Thanks for the quick reply, wow :) .  
    Hmm I think they are up to date, but I'll check that right away.  I'm still on Trial account, but thought I'd buy it this weekend...surely they don't throttle trials?

Throttling the trial would be extremely stupid IMO. I doubt Turbine would do that. It would likely drive away potential customers. You could also try re-installing the LOTRO client. Try looking at the LOTRO forums for help.

Do you have the latest DirectX?

• RedKhusRedKhus Member Posts: 13

Okay.  Time for me to feel silly.  There was a driver update and it made all the difference in the world...er, Middle-earth.   I suppose when all else fails, I should consider the obvious...

Thanks very much for the suggestions.  This game looks beautiful on Ultra settings!  Off I go to purchase my account. 

-RK

Okay.  Time for me to feel silly.  There was a driver update and it made all the difference in the world...er, Middle-earth.   I suppose when all else fails, I should consider the obvious...
    Thanks very much for the suggestions.  This game looks beautiful on Ultra settings!  Off I go to purchase my account. 
    -RK

Glad it helped! The game looks great and it is fun to play. Two things that need to be worked on are: no PvP (they have Monster Play but it is a bit limited) and housing. There is housing in the game but I disliked it so much I got rid of mine. Item placement is limited to pre-chosen areas (you can not place items anywhere you want) and the amount of items per house is less than 100 I think. I'm used to SWG housing where you can put 99.9% of the items in your house and put them anywhere you want. The current item limit for a large house is 1650 items. I wish more MMOs would copy this. Too bad the rest of the game stinks.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by EbenEmael

-RK

Glad it helped! The game looks great and it is fun to play. Two things that need to be worked on are: no PvP (they have Monster Play but it is a bit limited) and housing. There is housing in the game but I disliked it so much I got rid of mine. Item placement is limited to pre-chosen areas (you can not place items anywhere you want) and the amount of items per house is less than 100 I think. I'm used to SWG housing where you can put 99.9% of the items in your house and put them anywhere you want. The current item limit for a large house is 1650 items. I wish more MMOs would copy this. Too bad the rest of the game stinks.

I wouldn't put much hope into the PvP aspect of this game.  They really don't make much effort in this area.  As for the housing though, I think over time you'll see they continue to improve on that. 

It would be cool if you could place items anywhere you felt like it in your house.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Originally posted by EbenEmael

-RK

I wouldn't put much hope into the PvP aspect of this game.  They really don't make much effort in this area.  As for the housing though, I think over time you'll see they continue to improve on that. 

It would be cool if you could place items anywhere you felt like it in your house.

PvP is never going to be a main focus of the game.  That said, I think Monster Play is actually a pretty fun side game.  I put in my month or so as a creep and had good fun.  Been meaning to get back to it, but I never seem to run out of stuff to do on my freeps.

They also have hinted that they intend to add another zone some time in the next year.  I'm honestly not sure if that's a good idea.  LoTRO doesn't have a lot of PvP fans in the first place, thining them out between two zones would lessen the chance of those big raid on raid skirmishes that I enjoy happening on the weekends.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Turn off the quest helper.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me