Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest: 10 Year Anniversary Interview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

On March 16th, SOE's EverQuest celebrated its 10 year anniversary. MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh recently spoke with EQ Designer Jonathan Caraker about the milestone.

Screenshot

MMORPG.com:

How many expansions have there been in all? Which have been the most memorable in terms of customer enjoyment do you think?

Jonathan Caraker:

There are 15 expansions available now, with the high possibility of another in the works. Our player base has mixed feelings on which is their favorite. You will hear a different answer on which were the most successful or memorable, depending on who you ask, but most seem fond of The Scars of Velious and Omens of War.

Read the 10 Year Anniversary Interview

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Jon, is that image on the home page one of Carolyn Koh?

*sighs*

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I like dialogue quest system in EQ.

• Tehghost132Tehghost132 Member Posts: 3

All Hail Classic EQ!  Poop on Luclin and after!

• ivan50265ivan50265 Member Posts: 67

Happy Decade EQ you are a living classic.

• tjhuskertjhusker Member UncommonPosts: 20

Happy Anniversary EQ.  Still one of the best old school games out there!

• ShadowpodShadowpod Member UncommonPosts: 29

bah burn in the lake of fire i say...loved it up until luclin where the concepts they mentioned that were "so great for them" gave me and my fellows a hell as bad as the real world we tried to escape. all of those improvements ( with the exception of fast travel which is another horrible concept) limited interaction between characters. the amazement i felt at seeing a barbarian in steamfont when i wa sa noob gnome and the thrill of killing his tall almighty self was near euphoric. even at the higher levels the thrill was stil there because of the possibility of losing one of my items made the fighting somewhat meaningful. getting looted felt bad enough, having the score system read -10 death streak is by far a worse method of torture and the victories are nigh as sweet.... especially when you can level in safe instanced zones and only see any action when people are ready to fight rather than being a spur of the moment kind of thing and even havens like bazaar and pok were horrible, being able to escape so easily form a fight devolved pvp. potions are horrible, the tradeskills being easily accessible made the game more of a joke. aas, while an amazing concept, was implemented horribly imo. the expansions made the old zones obsolete rather than offering more choices, the new graphic revamps are horrible....i could go on forever. still probably the best game out there but i cant play it because despite it being the best it still sucks horribly and there is nothing out there that compares to it now. but even now it cant compare to pre luclin.

• Micro_angelMicro_angel Member UncommonPosts: 87

¡¡Happy Anniversary EQ!! My first MMO... i just kept playing for 3 months in 2002 .... *sigh*

• fzzztfzzzt Member Posts: 18

I agree with mindwork, tehghost and shadowpod. Jonathan, all the things you talk about as good are what ruined the game. The things you talk about as bad made it unique, challenging, scary (which is good) and engaging. The dialog system is perfect; you actually have to talk to the NPCs! Holy freaking crap! It's almost like an RPG... The open world (non-instanced) is what made EQ fun, the community, seeing people run by, bumping into people, seeing trains (and unfortunately sometimes getting run over). Fear. Risk. This is EQ. You should've just fixed the bugs, like falling to death on zoning. Everything after Velious, including much of Luclin, diluted and destroyed it. So, on behalf of myself and probably hundreds of thousands of people, and Blizzard Entertainment, tell your team thanks. In a sarcastic manner.

I love how you say reducing required experience, making crafting non-risky, and in-game maps make it easier while keeping the level of challenge. You're obviously completely disconnected. The reason EverQuest was fun was that it was challenging, and this largely removes that challenge. Getting lost on a CR is challenging, sometimes frustrating (but the community forced by old EQ helps with that), but it felt great when you accomplished the challenge. Remember when "ding" meant something? Removing that stuff turns your game into a mind-numbing waste of time, which is why it's dead.

If you had any balls you would revamp the game completely, ditch anything after Velious, make it difficult again and relaunch. The world is just too big. It's too static, the engine needs more dynamics and better AI. Make levelling up a great feeling rather than an speed bump. Integrate lore into the NPC text, make people think a little bit about what they need to do, not spoon-feed them everything and let them click through ignorantly. Make it seamless (but not "seamless" like Vanguard). I loved EQ through Velious (though Kunark was it's highest point, IMO). I've tried to go back a few times since then, and it's just a joke now. A sad joke. I think it's possible to relaunch it again, honestly, but it would require real leadership and risk-taking, not complacency.

Whew, that was fun!

• CidienCidien Member Posts: 1

You know what I find especially halarious?  Sony wasn't largely responsible for luclin.  Verant had already laid most of the groundwork for it.  Sony took over and finished what was already largely a done deal for the future of the game at that point.  I wonder if people would have hated the content so much if sony hadn't taken over.  I agree the content wasn't as good and a lot of things changed for the worse, but a lot of things changed for the better as well.

I'm also surprised so few people comment on eq nowadays as well. 

Personally, I would have felt the same way. I didn't hate Sony way back when I started playing EQ. :) Luclin just didn't "feel" right to me; the whole premise seemed silly to me and disconnected with the old world zones and style.

• binarypcbinarypc Member Posts: 13

I came in well after Luclin, but had fun with my guild & friends & such. They really made the game for me. Even with the quest tools like Allakhazam.com friends and guildies would all know the broken quest lines, help past the hard parts on the epic quests, or help out with the grinding for items or show the good areas. Hours remembered of playing EQ are really about silly stories, chatting while grinding XP and such.

So, I miss EQ & wish they'd drop the charge to something like $5.00/month and I'd make it my 3rd, I'm never gonna cancel you game. It would come after my WoW and LoTRO Founders account and before Guild Wars.

Gratz EQ & Sony on your 10 year anniversary!

binarypc

That's a good point, which I share. Before Velious I had lots of fun exploring, learning the lore and playing the game. After Luclin it was all about the people and the game was a glorified chat service (like WoW is now, for me). I suppose that's a side-effect of linear gaming, even games like EQ where there are multiple paths you can take. At some point, you use up all the content or reach the maximum level and the priorities change to chatting, which is unfortunate. This is why I suggested better AI and dynamic gameplay in my post above, something that no MMOGs have tackled yet.

Newer MMOGs abuse PvP to attempt to put more dynamic content into their game, which only works to a certain extent, and only for a small number of people...what we really need is AI. Not a script like "Player X sat down, attack it!" but self-determination and organic outcomes. I think EQ is a perfect game to play with this in, but that's probably because my stake in it is gone. :)

Changing it to $5/mo would also bring me back--probably. Really that's what all MMOGs should be, IMHO, but I'm a casual player. Since all my friends probably wouldn't go back, I'm not so sure I would want to. The last time I went back to see how things were the community was downright rotten.

• stringray13stringray13 Member Posts: 8

As above, most of the so called improvements are what drove the hardcore gamers away from EQ...

It became a game of no risk.

I also find it funny that someone who works on the game didn't know there has been a full screen option since release, that was not something added later on, you just had to toggle it.

There were many UI revamps, but since day one, you could use the full screen view.

I miss the heck out of EQ.  The EQ that meant you had to be a team player and a skillful one at that to advance, rather than

just buy a couple million plat and hit the bazaar for end game loot.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Heh, I love the people who think the old tedious and boring EQ1 was challenging and risky.

It wasn't.

People just avoided anything risky.

I can count on 2 hands the number of times I died leveling up to 50 (then 60), and most of those were due to link-deaths. People never tried anything remotely challenging because of the vast risk (and no reward) involved. Always farmed blues (low blues) in groups, never grouped without the holy trinity, etc. /yawn

Then once everyone got to 50, solb and lguk became so crowded a level 1 newbie could run around naked and not fear dying.

EQ1 was the perfect example of "risk vs no reward" gone horribly wrong in its early days. Sure, it kept the people who couldn't spend 20 hours a day grinding in a group lower level (which is really what people here seem to like to remember, them being "uber" because of the "effort" (time) spent to get anywhere in the game).

Dude, just because you ran around with sissies doesn't mean the rest of us did.  Some people enjoyed the RISK part and the reward was defeating the risk.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by stringray13

Dude, just because you ran around with sissies doesn't mean the rest of us did.  Some people enjoyed the RISK part and the reward was defeating the risk.

No, you were probably begging for a corpse loot/drag and a rez from my friends and I...

Are you REALLY trying to start a drama thread here?  You must be as bored as I am.