Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online Preorders Delayed

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Here's the link with the information.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/14552-important-update-27-06-09-a.html

They estimate the delay at 2 weeks.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 395

Bummer. Considering this isnt a release date but a way into beta, im not mad at all. 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Batak_Killer

Bummer. Considering this isnt a release date but a way into beta, im not mad at all. 

After the Darkfall debacle at launch, I'll admit I'm concerned that Star Vault is going to have similar problems that come from a serious lack of experience with the business end of launching an MMO.

On the positive side, they are far more open with their future players than Aventurine was, and they are giving themselves a lot more time to get it worked out than AV did.  Overall, SV still appears more organized and sensible than AV, but I'm sure there will be some bumps in the road.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I'm not too bummed about it. I'd rather they get their stuff together before opening the floodgates than prematurely launch the store and have all kinds of angry customers.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• yukumoyukumo Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by Batak_Killer

Yeah i feel the exact same way... personally im extremely excited about the release = )

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548

Well I look at it this way - fewer people claiming they are some how paying to play beta, which was a ridiculous complain to begin with.

In the gaming industry dates change all the time, deadlines are hardly ever set in stone. SV so far has proven to be highly organized and is at least announcing this a full month ahead of time. If this had been AV they would have waited until the end of july, left people wondering what was going on, then two weeks later announce the push back. Sad part about that is that things like that have already happened from AV lol.

SV has been very open. Most reasonable questions that I've seen posted on their official forums have been answered by actual devs. So it's pretty damn refreshing.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

Well I look at it this way - fewer people claiming they are some how paying to play beta, which was a ridiculous complain to begin with.
    In the gaming industry dates change all the time, deadlines are hardly ever set in stone. SV so far has proven to be highly organized and is at least announcing this a full month ahead of time. If this had been AV they would have waited until the end of july, left people wondering what was going on, then two weeks later announce the push back. Sad part about that is that things like that have already happened from AV lol.
    SV has been very open. Most reasonable questions that I've seen posted on their official forums have been answered by actual devs. So it's pretty damn refreshing.

To be fair, they announced that the store wouldn't be ready to take preorders just 2 days before the store was actually supposed to be open for sales.

This is the core of my concern, and it's understandable - they've never launched an MMO before, so there's going to be a learning curve that goes along with it.  They appear to have the programming part down pretty well, but the business end is another animal entirely.  We saw that type of lack of experience with Darkfall, and I can imagine we'll see at least some of it again with MO (in fact, we just saw it with this delay).

I agree that Star Vault appears to be a much more organized group of people, and they are being a lot smarter about handling this game than Aventurine was.  The game isn't supposed to go live for another 4 to 6 months, so they have a good amount of time to get everything sorted out in advance.  But there will most likely be some hitches that they run into along the way.  As long as they effectively communicate with their audience, which they have been doing, that will make a much happier and confident playerbase from the start.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

In the gaming industry dates change all the time, deadlines are hardly ever set in stone.

That is 100% wrong.

- You fall too far behind your milestones and you lose your funding.

- You don't do what publishers want and you lose your funding.

My guess would be that SV is guilty of one or both situations.

TBH, this currently smells like DF all over again.   I sure hope it doesn't turn out that way.

• TheRavenOfDeathTheRavenOfDeath Member UncommonPosts: 14

They had some bugs they needed to work out with rendering and such but they are doing fine. I have a friend in beta.

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

I would rather they took two weeks to sort this out than open the store and suffer the crashing syndrome we had when DF open their online stores.

Who knows what the real reason is for the delay, but the Dev interaction and general maturity of Mortal Forums compared to another game are one reason I am willing to splash my cash to try this game out

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

On my only day off of work , and now I cant pre-order. I sure hope they dont sell out when its opened. Cuz I want one.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I agree. Diablo 2 was several years late, Bioware moved Dragon age back 3 months now and so on.

Sometimes you just have to move a deadline back, it is more important to release the game in good shape than release it in time for a deadline.

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

Wow! A 2 weeks delay! That was a hugh delay!! ... not. :) 

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by thinktank001

That is 100% wrong.
    - You fall too far behind your milestones and you lose your funding.
    - You don't do what publishers want and you lose your funding.

My guess would be that SV is guilty of one or both situations.

TBH, this currently smells like DF all over again.   I sure hope it doesn't turn out that way.

Do you home work. SV doesn't have any publisher. Do you understand that ?
    Second thing, they never promised anything. When they confirm a certain feature or game mechanic, then it is already implemented and working. No lies similar to failcom's ones.

I don't mind pushing back BETA STORE OPENING.
    Some peeps can read words, but they never understand what is their meaning.

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)