Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion vs. WoW

mcgeemcgee Member Posts: 22

Are people who've left WoW and have tried Aion in beta finding anything new and exciting besides the new lore?  Does it feel like a new game?  I've seen vids and I'm afraid it looks a lot like WoW gameplay (except for the flying part). 

Comments

• PatchumzPatchumz Member UncommonPosts: 50

People are going to flame you for another WoW vs Aion thread btw.

But for me, it's been amazing, it feels EXTREMELY different, in a good way, not a bad way. Most of the attraction towards Aion comes from the very well done PvP in this game.. WoW's PvP sucks imo (Arenas and pointless BG's are boring compared to real World PvP that no longer exists in WoW). If you want a fun MMO with an amazing PvP game to it, you'll love this.. if you want PvE stick to WoW.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Felt like a different game for me, refreshing and entertaining.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Patchumz

People are going to flame you for another WoW vs Aion thread btw.
    But for me, it's been amazing, it feels EXTREMELY different, in a good way, not a bad way. Most of the attraction towards Aion comes from the very well done PvP in this game.. WoW's PvP sucks imo (Arenas and pointless BG's are boring compared to real World PvP that no longer exists in WoW). If you want a fun MMO with an amazing PvP game to it, you'll love this.. if you want PvE stick to WoW.

So is the Aion PVE not good or just non existent?

• alkennjoialkennjoi Member Posts: 101

read my thread here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/241582/Ill-tell-you-what-sucks.html

or here:

1. The attack chains in Aion are not only smooth and tactically sensible, but you have the option to hit the power's key that initiated the chain again to execute the next power of the chain (instead of hitting additional keys.) This not only increases efficiency, but increases your attack speed (reaction time) as well as prevent setting off a wrong power durign the heat of battle and missing an opportunity. Of course you have the option to assign the additional chain powers to individual hotkeys and execute them at your own accord. You can activate another power instead of conituing along the chain as well.

The next accessible chain powers also appear as flashing icons on the right side of your avatar toward the middle of the screen. You may select the one of these flashing icons with a mouse click instead of depressing a key for the same effect, the choice is yours.

2. The execution of powers or abilities are fast and right on the money!!! You will not experience any sluggishness or delay from hitting the key to hitting your opponent (quite unlike WAR for example.) Also, the global cooldown is very unobtrusive, barely noticable.

3. The abilities for each class are well thought out and provide a powerful combinations of tactics that make sense for your class. In many games I find that there are gaps in combat within a class which makes you dependant on another class to defeat certain foes. Aion closes this gap and provides each class with the necessary tools to survive many more situations than you would expect.

What I mean is I wasnt left stranded waiting for the cooldowns of my most powerful maneuvers in order to feel like i was contributing to a fight. The time between various cooldowns are well situated so that you can protect yourself with crowd control maneuvers or buffs that are purposeful, instead of just hitting the same 3 attack keys to win a battle.

4. When I play the various classes, I feel like my character is executing a balance of maneuvers, much like in a martial arts film. In other words, the combat is not only fun, it is totally immersive! The Templars perform maneuvers that you would expect a knight to execute. The Chanter feels like a staff wielding magical monk. The Assasin dances to the music of death and destruction. Each of the classes has that particular feel you might be looking for as a soloist or contributing party member. As combat options become available to you through level progression, the feeling that your character gains important knowledge and tactics becomes more and more evident. New abilites empower your gameplay with a sense of expertise and survivability. I never felt like I was waiting for a certain level (or a certain power) in order to, then at that point, begin enjoying the game. From early on I am able to enjoy a fluidity of attacks and sensible progression of abilites. I cannot say this for many other games, nor the extent to which I have enjoyed the combat.

Originally posted by grandpagamer
    Originally posted by Patchumz People are going to flame you for another WoW vs Aion thread btw.
    So is the Aion PVE not good or just non existent?

It's not bad, it's PvPvE, so it's fun if you like PvP while PvE'ing. But if you're looking for numerous strategic PvE encounters this isn't the right game for you. There's few PvE only fights, and those are Tank and Spank fights. Most PvE fights are in PvP areas.

• VABeachDaveVABeachDave Member Posts: 228

The game feels like an upgraded WoW actually. PvE is very similar to WoW and PvP is better then WoW. Also there is a lot of PvEvP in this game where you fight both an IA faction in addition to the opposing faction. WoW does not have this. You do not have to do any PvP in this game at all however so if you are not into PvP you are not forced into it. PvP is a big part of this game though so you should at least try it.

You can start PvPing at any level by dueling and you can start PvPing in the arena at level 10. At level 25ish you can head to the Abyss and start PvPing there more hard core.

If you are coming from WoW or EQ2 or LOTRO etc. you will feel right at home here. The game User Interface is easier although the game itself is not easier.

Where AION is not as good at the moment is in content as the game is new. Obviously this will improve as they start to release more patches. They have actually already released 2 more patches on the Korean servers with a third in the works, but they have not made it to the rest of the world yet. Give this game another 6 months to a year and we will start seeing some major expansions and the content will catch up.

Fan sites:
    AION-On-Line.com
    aionicthoughts.wordpress.com/
    www.aionarmory.com/
    www.aionglobal.com/
    www.aionsource.com/
    www.areyouhellbound.com/forum/
    www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/253
    www.onrpg.com/

Official sites:
    www.ncsoft.com/global/
    www.aiononline.com/us/
    eu.aiononline.com/en/

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

It certainly isn't casual like WoW.  Between the slow leveling starting at 6 and higher and the constant scrounging for Kinah to afford new skills or spells, I found the experience to be frustrating.  I can't even imagine the horror of it when things really slow down.  Add to this, the only reasonable way to progress beyond the 20's is through PvP.  Don't expect a lot of WoW players to even want to play this game, let alone stick with it.  I'm glad I got to test it out, saved me the box price.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

Originally posted by Vrazule
    It certainly isn't casual like WoW.  Between the slow leveling starting at 6 and higher and the constant scrounging for Kinah to afford new skills or spells, I found the experience to be frustrating.  I can't even imagine the horror of it when things really slow down.  Add to this, the only reasonable way to progress beyond the 20's is through PvP.  Don't expect a lot of WoW players to even want to play this game, let alone stick with it.  I'm glad I got to test it out, saved me the box price.

You're wrong... Lol, getting to 20 takes like 3-7 days (Depending on how much you play, assuming you're semi-hardcore and not casual). And Kinah is EXTREMELY easy to make, I had about 35k kinah at the end of the last 1-10 beta.. PLENTY of cash to buy everything i'd want. Maybe you were just very inefficient and bought vendor whites every single level you could buy new items and I have no idea how you felt leveling was slow, it's only slow after 25-30.

• mcgeemcgee Member Posts: 22

Thanks.  That's really good news.  I really want to like this game.  I already quit WoW a couple of months ago after playing it for a few years -- just got too burnt out on it.  I'm having a lot of fun with Guild Wars but am determined not to play another game past the burn-out time like I did with WoW.  I'll most likely be trying Aion when it releases if I don't get in the beta.

• supbrosupbro Member Posts: 327

LOL it sounds like you never played the game, you couldn't post more bs if you tried. Everyting you typed is completetly untrue.

GW2 the future of MMO gaming

Originally posted by mcgee
    Thanks.  That's really good news.  I really want to like this game.  I already quit WoW a couple of months ago after playing it for a few years -- just got too burnt out on it.  I'm having a lot of fun with Guild Wars but am determined not to play another game past the burn-out time like I did with WoW.  I'll most likely be trying Aion when it releases if I don't get in the beta.

Same boat as me, after 2 expansions it's just the same thing, maybe even worse cuz the world PvP is gone.. just got boring and all the same as the other expansions since i'm not a very hardcore PvE person. Quit WoW in like February or March, but stayed up to date until I played the first Aion NA beta, then I officially cancelled my WoW account.

• SholShol Member Posts: 361

Level 1-10 can easily be done in 1 day and money is plenty to buy skills. I really wonder what mmorpg experience you have which lets you feel frustration in such early levels. Is WoW so easy nowadays? As I played (2 years ago) I had the same levelspeed as Aion today. 

• injurerinjurer Member Posts: 27

Stop comparing Aion with WoW. Aion is not WoW and will not be. The reason we wait so long is exactly because there is a huge difference. It's like to compare an apple with a pig, which is impossible since the first is a fruit but the second an animal.

• Khan187Khan187 Member Posts: 168

PvP in Aion does not give you any experience points, which is needed for leveling. Your statement here is incorrect.

• kluukluu Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by injurer

Stop comparing Aion with WoW. Aion is not WoW and will not be. The reason we wait so long is exactly because there is a huge difference. It's like to compare an apple with a pig, which is impossible since the first is a fruit but the second an animal.

WoW is the MMO juggernaut.  All new MMOs will be compared to it.

I wanna try this game.  The OP's post is making it tempting.

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by injurer

Actually to more like comparing a green apple to a red one....

Come on man even you can see both games start off the kinda the same.

Aion's differences slower become apparent as you level.

Are they the same? No, but they are still comparable.

• BekkrBekkr Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by mcgee

(except for the flying part). 

Haha...yeah, except for that itty bitty detail.

I dunno from gameplay much, because I have such strong issues with WoW's art direction and graphic style that I couldn't really give it a proper go, but I will say that, in a nutshell, Aion feels fun.  After a pretty solid weekend playing, I find myself wishing the next beta phase would hurry up and get here, which is a good sign from this particular cynic.

|The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer part of it. -Salvador Dali|

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432

So basically what I'm getting from the responses is if you're not into having PvP endgame (which a majority of people are NOT into, I'm talking NA only), this isn't the game for you?  I also get the sense this isn't as casual friendly as WoW.  Remember, casual friendly isn't just how fast you level, but the sense that I can log in for a half hour to an hour and feel like I can get stuff accomplished.  Is this true?

• TykeroTykero Member Posts: 349
    Originally posted by tanoril

So basically what I'm getting from the responses is if you're not into having PvP endgame (which a majority of people are NOT into, I'm talking NA only)

I'm curious as to how you came to that conclusion.

Regardless, Aion has both a strong PvP and PvE offering. They're intertwined. Imagine WoW raids. Now give them a meaningful goal other than loot (ownership of a keep, dominance over the other side). Now throw in a bunch of enemy players along with the boss.

It's extremely exciting. DaoC was a popular game in its time, and Aion follows a similar formula.

The main point I have about Aion is that the combat is enthralling, smooth, and fairly balanced. There's plenty of good content, and good design. The game overall feels fantastic and complete.

The only similarities it shares with WoW are the clear interface, two warring player factions (albeit in a very different setting), and incredible attention to detail that made WoW (and will make Aion) such a great game.

-

• HaikenHaiken Member Posts: 81

Yeah I agree with the others, you dont know what you are talking about, it took me about 2 hours with 30 minutes of played time with my templar to get to level 10, Level 10 in Aion Equals Level 16 in WoW, It takes me about 5 hours or more to get from 1 to level 16 in WoW.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Something else to note:

While the game post 25 has been heavily focused on PvPvE in the Abyss the devs are implementing a lot of PvE encounters within the Abyss and tied into the RvR in the game.  Things like PvE instances within the fortresses if your group controls them, new huge PvE instances with time limits where your group receives a score or rating based on how they did and the final boss adjusts based on this score including better loot and harder bosses for higher scores.  They are also adding an instance for two full groups, one from each side, where the groups compete to achieve goals and also has a score increase/steal from the opposing team for killing them.

They are really focusing on enhancing the overall experience instead of expanding the end of the game with a ton of level cap increases which is very cool.  I like the direction they are taking and look forward to meaningful RvR along with the PvE instances.  It will be fun to devise strategies for completing some of these instances.  Most of them reward Abyss Points on top of the loot and experience which should be a fun way to gain Abyss Points without straight up PvP'ing.

Also you should read through kilkil2's thread about RvR and how the game plays out in the Abyss.  You can clearly see the different approach the devs have taken towards end game, pvp, rvr, and faction warfare.  It might start off with linear questing and such, but you can see a clear contrast with the direction the devs are taking with Aion against what Blizzard has done with WoW.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Would you go to the Micheal Jackson fan club to ask if people like his music? What kind of answer do you think you'll get?

Overall, the gameplay is almost exactly like WoW but with flying combat, RvR, and Chain Attacks. But for every feature in Aion that is different from WoW, there are five that Aion doesn't have but WoW does.

• Character development is much less complex. In WoW you start your talent tree customization at level 10. Aion's Stigma system doesn't have as much variety and doesn't start until high levels.

• Gear is less interesting. The attribute mechanics (str, agi, int, etc) don't exist on gear. Its not bad, but it make gear less interesting IMO. There is nothing crazy that I have seen in Aion gear. At least nothing that makes you think like WoW's Lightning Capacitor and other items that have their own mechanics to them.

• Crafting feels more simple (I'd call it dumbed down, but that will make the fans scream... just watch). There is only one collecting skill and it doesn't require utensils like the mining pick, skinning knife, etc. It seems like crafting will be even more of a time and money sink. And like WoW its only really useful for end game gear.

• Combat feels a bit less varied. Every class uses a mana bar unlike WoW where you may have a rage bar, energy bar, and a few other unique mechanics. I felt like the abilities in Aion were somewhat generic and didn't seem to have the diversity that WoW had. It seems like they do this to make PvP more fair. Combos are cool, but not enough to make it feel like a whole new game or anything.

In the positive reviews of Aion you'll see that 90% of the compliments are about the graphics and stability rather than the gameplay. It really proves that rehashed game mechanics with pretty graphics really is a recipe for success.

Many of the fans will swear all day that its a lot different than WoW. I'd agree if all I ever played was EQ, WoW, DaoC, and WAR. People that played Tabula Rasa, Spellborn, D&D Online, Fallen Earth, City of XXX, Darkfall, and UO would know that it has much more in common with WoW than it does any of the other games I just mentioned.

If you like familiar mechanics with a twist then you'll love Aion. If you're into RvR and were a big fan of DaoC then you'll love Aion. If you're looking for a new experience that is nothing like WoW then you may not like Aion so much.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of either WoW or Aion. I played WoW for years and enjoyed its style for a while, but now I'm ready for a new experience and Aion isn't it.

Originally posted by Aganazer
    Would you go to the Micheal Jackson fan club to ask if people like his music? What kind of answer do you think you'll get?Overall, the gameplay is almost exactly like WoW but with flying combat, RvR, and Chain Attacks. But for every feature in Aion that is different from WoW, there are five that Aion doesn't have but WoW does.

Character development is much less complex. In WoW you start your talent tree customization at level 10. Aion's Stigma system doesn't have as much variety and doesn't start until high levels.   Gear is less interesting. The attribute mechanics (str, agi, int, etc) don't exist on gear. Its not bad, but it make gear less interesting IMO. There is nothing crazy that I have seen in Aion gear. At least nothing that makes you think like WoW's Lightning Capacitor and other items that have their own mechanics to them.   Crafting feels more simple (I'd call it dumbed down, but that will make the fans scream... just watch). There is only one collecting skill and it doesn't require utensils like the mining pick, skinning knife, etc. It seems like crafting will be even more of a time and money sink. And like WoW its only really useful for end game gear.   Combat feels a bit less varied. Every class uses a mana bar unlike WoW where you may have a rage bar, energy bar, and a few other unique mechanics. I felt like the abilities in Aion were somewhat generic and didn't seem to have the diversity that WoW had. It seems like they do this to make PvP more fair. Combos are cool, but not enough to make it feel like a whole new game or anything.
    In the positive reviews of Aion you'll see that 90% of the compliments are about the graphics and stability rather than the gameplay. It really proves that rehashed game mechanics with pretty graphics really is a recipe for success.Many of the fans will swear all day that its a lot different than WoW. I'd agree if all I ever played was EQ, WoW, DaoC, and WAR. People that played Tabula Rasa, Spellborn, D&D Online, Fallen Earth, City of XXX, Darkfall, and UO would know that it has much more in common with WoW than it does any of the other games I just mentioned.If you like familiar mechanics with a twist then you'll love Aion. If you're into RvR and were a big fan of DaoC then you'll love Aion. If you're looking for a new experience that is nothing like WoW then you may not like Aion so much.Personally, I'm not a big fan of either WoW or Aion. I played WoW for years and enjoyed its style for a while, but now I'm ready for a new experience and Aion isn't it.

I'm just going to simply disagree completely with your post.

To start off, with the gear variations.. WoW has a ton of useless stats you don't want, and therefore you get a TON of junk gear for 90% of the classes you play. Aion has a lot of gear that will work for your class and it can be manastone socketed to further support your class.

Character development is less complex, but skill required to play the classes are MUCH more intense.

Crafting is crafting, I could care less, it's fun enough for me. There's one gathering skill, which is fine for me, and there is enough secondary skills to keep me happy. Not a big crafter myself, so I could care less.

And finally combat.. well.. it's INCREDIBLY different. First up would be the fact that you don't just spam one move all day like you usually have to do in WoW for 90% of the classes until end game where you actually have to press other buttons for escape. Aion has a lot of different damaging abilities that you'll want to use.. unlike WoW where most people have 1 main nuke and a ton of utility-type attacks. Which was the first thing I noticed after getting to around 20 in Aion.. lots of combat fun instead of 1 button spam. Also think they varied plenty .. lots of different effects for different classes and abilities most of the time.

In conclusion, i'd like to add that i've been playing WoW since a couple of months before TBC.. so I know what i'm talking about to an extent, and that I think unless you fully appreciate both games you can't compare them. If you hate both games it's easy to just throw them both under the bus like you did. And I didn't even have to mention the fact that there's flying combat and the PvP is WAY WAY WAY more extensive and thought out instead of WoW's wimp PvP.. 2v2, 3v3, 5v5.. and they killed World PvP.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Three months till release and the haters are flocking, wonder how bad it will get by Sept. 22 and how long after release it will continue? Guess it gives them something to do as obviously in their eyes all games suck so bad they cant find anything to do besides bestow their eternal wisdom upon all who will listen.  Come thursday none you try so hard to convince will be here, they will all be in Aion beta, so i guess you all will have to decide which game to unleash your anger upon until next monday when you can start over again and who knows, by then maybe you can come up with something besides the worn out  WOW clone crap.

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432
    Originally posted by Tykero

Originally posted by tanoril

So basically what I'm getting from the responses is if you're not into having PvP endgame (which a majority of people are NOT into, I'm talking NA only)

I'm curious as to how you came to that conclusion.

Regardless, Aion has both a strong PvP and PvE offering. They're intertwined. Imagine WoW raids. Now give them a meaningful goal other than loot (ownership of a keep, dominance over the other side). Now throw in a bunch of enemy players along with the boss.

It's extremely exciting. DaoC was a popular game in its time, and Aion follows a similar formula.

The main point I have about Aion is that the combat is enthralling, smooth, and fairly balanced. There's plenty of good content, and good design. The game overall feels fantastic and complete.

The only similarities it shares with WoW are the clear interface, two warring player factions (albeit in a very different setting), and incredible attention to detail that made WoW (and will make Aion) such a great game.

I've came to that point because numerous people have mentioned that it doesn't have the PvE content that WoW had at launch. DAoC was good but it was never hugely popular, in fact at it's peak it never hit EQ numbers (200-300000? maybe). PvP players are a minority as far as MMO players in general. My point is if it doesn't have meaningful endgame content where players who just want to PvE (ie, a majority of WoW players), then it's not going to be a huge success in NA (1 million + players).

Everyone wants to be like WoW, but yet they never get the forumula exactly right to be successful