Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Chronicles of Spellborn going to shut down.... /moved

ExuareExuare Member UncommonPosts: 21

Spellborn Works, the company behind The Chronicles of Spellborn, is bankrupt.
Check Curatoren.nl
Sad.........

Comments

• Jdub402Jdub402 Member UncommonPosts: 13

I'd hope not, i just got tcos. =(

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

I tried looking around on the site, didn't find anything regarding Spellborn, but, if it is true, I could see it happening eventually. Always disappointing to hear a game is shutting down due to it never taking off, especially from indie devs who did devote a lot of time and energy into the product.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Synthetick

I tried looking around on the site, didn't find anything regarding Spellborn.

curatoren.nl/fo/verslag_faillprofiel.php

I can read the site, but the site doesn't give any info (unless you pay), but the court and date of the bankruptcy are there.

Faillissement Spellborn Works B.V.

· terug

Rechtbank Rechtbank 's-Gravenhage
    Datum uitspraak 23-06-2009

"Rechtbank" meaning court and "Datum uitspraak" meaning date of the ruling.

• WootsonWootson Member Posts: 64

Yep, it's the end for this game. I just read  the news on Tweakers.net (Dutch technology website): http://tweakers.net/nieuws/60979/nederlandse-ontwikkelaar-spellborn-works-failliet.html

To be honest I never saw anything in the game. I thought it look way too weird. The characters looked akward and the environments looked a little too depressive.

Too bad another MMO fails to reach their goals.

• ExuareExuare Member UncommonPosts: 21

http://www.curatoren.nl/fo/verslag_faillprofiel.php?id=128655

I'm Dutch myself so I am proud that they made this game but the link above probably means that since the company running the servers is bankrupt this will mean the end for The Chronicles of Spellborn

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

Well nuts, there goes another game I was going to try.

Man, this economy is going to pressure out any game that isn't doing well, and it'll get a lot worse before it gets better.

• ExuareExuare Member UncommonPosts: 21

It's extreeeemly annoying that games like Trickster Online ( And other games like that ) keep surviving and unique ( And with unique I mean the armor approach or the graphics in this case. ) games like tCoS barely reach their 2nd birthday

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

It's rather strange. If you look Chronicles up on Xfire, it's #398, that's not that bad imo. Certainly better than many other online games.

To go bankrupt so fast after a launch is .. weird. I wouldn't be surprised if some go running off with a nice sum of money.

That's the thing with MMO, you don't own them..once the server goes down the game becomes useless, unlike a normal game. Good to be somewhat careful before you spend a lot of money on a game.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Good game, something about it though just never let it take off really.

Never understood why..

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Acclaim might buy it off them cheap and keep it running.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Waterlily

It's rather strange. If you look Chronicles up on Xfire, it's #398, that's not that bad imo. Certainly better than many other online games.
    To go bankrupt so fast after a launch is .. weird. I wouldn't be surprised if some go running off with a nice sum of money.
    That's the thing with MMO, you don't own them..once the server goes down the game becomes useless, unlike a normal game. Good to be somewhat careful before you spend a lot of money on a game.

Xfire doesn't mean jack. Especially because this game had a free to play area.

The game was basically doomed to fail, purely on poor publisher deals alone.

This game had build up a very large loyal fanbase worldwide the last years, and this fanbase got shot into oblivion with the worst publisher deal announcement ever in autumn last year with the stupid IP blocks, ripping apart the whole community.

It was already bound to fail from that right moment.

Then when they started to release in the first EU zone last year december. There was ZERO marketing, ZERO box sales (well a few in Holland and Belgium... and maybe a couple in Germany... but that's basically it).

At to the fact that due to a horrible newbie experience, 99,9% of the people trying the game got turned off before they even got to the point of paying and subscribing to the game.

They had litterly everything against them. From bad game design decisions, bad priority management to very very bad management decisions.

When a game launches, income needs to be genereated to surive. With basically no one subscribing over the last 6-7 months, no income was being generated.

Investors are willing to put in money when a game is in development, but the moment you release, money needs to start flowing back.... and it clearly didn't.

Result: BANKRUPT!

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

The I.P. blocking thing killed them right out of the gate,as far as I am concerned. Its too bad all their hard work will more than likely go right down the drain. Maybe they will do better on their next project if there is one.

• DerEwigeDerEwige Member Posts: 6

Spellborn Works B.V. was only a section of Spellborn NV that got closed down. Spellborn NV is still in buissnes.

kind regards

Nokthur

Originally posted by DerEwige

Spellborn Works B.V. was only a section of Spellborn NV that got closed down. Spellborn NV is still in buissnes.
    kind regards
    Nokthur

Spellborn Works were the actual developers who worked on TCOS and doing all the patches and updates. Basically the whole support on the game.

Without that... it's the end of the game.

Cheers

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659
    Originally posted by mundus01

The I.P. blocking thing killed them right out of the gate,as far as I am concerned. Its too bad all their hard work will more than likely go right down the drain. Maybe they will do better on their next project if there is one.

No worries. The construct with Spellborn NV and Spellborn Works BV separate from Khaeon has been created to ensure the survival of Khaeon Studios, just in case.

--
    Delanor

Originally posted by Delanor

No worries. The construct with Spellborn NV and Spellborn Works BV separate from Khaeon has been created to ensure the survival of Khaeon Studios, just in case.

No worries?

https://eu-players.tcos.com/forum/showthread.php?p=55422&posted=1#post55422

Kelas just posted in there.

They made a new deal with Frogster (altho new... it was their plan all along) to rerelease TCOS in 2010 in Asia as F2P.

As everything around the current game and it's servers is highly unsertain, they say they keep it running for now as is.

Right, if like any sane person is going to pay subscription for an unsupported game that no longer gets updated and patched lol.

Cheers

Latest update:

Frogster Asia with own developers in Korea are going to turn this game into something I absolute disgust and hate:

A typical Free 2 Play game with Item Mall / Microtransactions.

It will then be rereleased somewhere in 2010 by both Frogster and Acclaim.

I guess that is the end of what could have been....

...thanks but no thanks.

• BekkrBekkr Member UncommonPosts: 32

Good riddance to bad rubbish, IMO.  I wish more terrible MMOs would shut down *coughdarkfallrunesofmagicwarhammerageofconanetceteracough*, so the good ones could hold decent populations.

|The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer part of it. -Salvador Dali|

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

It's sad news indeed. The game for me was engaging and different, it had a good story, I loved the rolling skill bar and was definately worth investing time in.

However, they used gameguard and thats just fkin stupid imo (mainly because it crashes my machine every 10 mins). But the worst for me was at release it segregated the UK from europe and that just about killed it as far I was concerned. If that hadn't changed and there wasn't a very good trial I probably wouldn't have got to play at all.

With any luck though they may be doing what a lot of companies are doing atm and bankrupting the holding with the debt around its neck and selling off its assets to a new company (strangely started by the same directors) to clear some of its creditors.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Originally posted by Bekkr

Good riddance to bad rubbish, IMO.  I wish more terrible MMOs would shut down *coughdarkfallrunesofmagicwarhammerageofconanetceteracough*, so the good ones could hold decent populations.

This was actually a good mmorpg. Better then most releases, but poorly marketed. No badly marketed.

--
    Delanor

Originally posted by Guillermo197

Originally posted by Delanor

No worries?

https://eu-players.tcos.com/forum/showthread.php?p=55422&posted=1#post55422

Kelas just posted in there.

They made a new deal with Frogster (altho new... it was their plan all along) to rerelease TCOS in 2010 in Asia as F2P.

As everything around the current game and it's servers is highly unsertain, they say they keep it running for now as is.

Right, if like any sane person is going to pay subscription for an unsupported game that no longer gets updated and patched lol.

Cheers

You always stay cheerful. But no, I was not responding to that, but to the fact that there would be no next project for Khaeon Studios, because there will be. No mmo for the time being though, I assume.

--
    Delanor

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Hammertime1

Well nuts, there goes another game I was going to try.

Man, this economy is going to pressure out any game that isn't doing well, and it'll get a lot worse before it gets better.

The economy has nothing to do with it. Spellborn NV screwed up at every step they took. It was only a matter of time.

As for the news it will be a f2p in Korea, let's face it. As soon as you stepped into the game, "asian grinder" just screamed out at you.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by Bekkr

There are no good MMOs left to play. They have all destroyed themselves with bad expansions. That is including World of Warcraft too.

• CybercatCybercat Member Posts: 32

Lovely game. Such a crying shame :(

• Sain34Sain34 Member UncommonPosts: 293

Saw this coming ten miles away.