Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Rumored) SW:TOR Legacy System

2»

Comments

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

The only point of MMO's is to grind loot AMRITE !! Oh and making wild assumptions about game mechanics which are rumored without any clear clue how it works. /sarcasm off

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

This feature was popular back then...
    http://www.mud.co.uk/dvw/whatisremort.html 

Why Have Remort?

There are many reasons for having remort, from an admin perspective. Most importantly (in my opinion) is that it gives your higher level players something to continue to work towards or for. It's frustrating having a bunch of really bored players who loved the game when they started (weeks or months ago) but now have nothing else to do. Obviously there are other things you can have them doing besides remort (special high-level quests, special areas just for those of that level, access to being guild leaders if they have made a certain level only and so forth), but it is another option you can offer them.

You can reward your long-term players with some nifty new classes or special skills and spells. Those that are willing to play your game long enough to earn the right of a remort will often continue playing longer and have more loyalty to your game. After all, they've worked hard to get where they are! These classes may be considered more powerful and hence more desired than the initial starting classes that everyone chooses from. They may have new spells or skills that are unique amongst the different classes. Finally, on games that use class-based equipment, adding equipment that only the remort classes can use is also a draw for players.

Finally, on some games the only way to have multiple classes is through the remort system. That is, you have to start over again if you want to have access to more than one class and one set of skills. On games that start out with multi-classing from the beginning this is probably no nearly as novel, but it can add some spice to those games that do not have multi-classing available any other way.

• xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298

Well, with this system could implemend a dual-spec in a sense.

You roll a Bounty Hunter and when you gain "offspring" you have a choice of another class, but will only gain access towards a few skills that class has to offer, such as your main being Bounty Hunter and you choose Trooper as a secondary. You will have all the skills etc from the Bounty Hunter while a set of skills from the Trooper.

Maybe if this is true is part of a dual-spec decision.

Meaning you can then level your secondary class while you continue on your way through the story.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Interesting. *shrugs* Its just the same thing as rolling an alt but with backstory. Cool though.

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by tillamook

There has been a rumor floating around for a while that there is a type of Legacy system in TOR where when you reach top level you have the option to produce an offspring and continue the game as a new class. What do you guys think? Sound like a cool way to explore other classes in TOR? Or would you rather have the option to make 8 chars on the same server one of each classes on one account?

www.ahazi.org/forums/showthread.php
    www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php

This might be pretty cool. I want to see more details 1st.

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

I'd much rather switch classes on my main character than re-grind a new character. I like playing different classes and different roles, but I hate the way some games use alts as an "extend your playtime" feature and make you regrind the hours of boring leveling just to reach  end game and be able to play your new class.
    If I couldn't have switchable mains, I'd next rather have many alts on the same server.

You had to regrind a new template in pre-nge swg if you wanted to play different professions.  Whats the diference between that and grinding out a new character? 

This was never going to be like swg.  The pre-cu fanboys really, really need to get that through their heads.  This is not going to be swg 2.  Thank God.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by calmness

Originally posted by Ginaz

You had to regrind a new template in pre-nge swg if you wanted to play different professions.  Whats the diference between that and grinding out a new character? 
    This was never going to be like swg.  The pre-cu fanboys really, really need to get that through their heads.  This is not going to be swg 2.  Thank God.

Most players build up an attachment to their character over time and would rather regrind a profession rather than be forced to create a completely new toon. You NGE-pimps for ToR must understand that there is gigantic demographic which doesn't want a simplified kiddie's game aimed at the WoW market.

ROFL

Oh yes.  I just loved the nge.  Loved it so much I quit swg shortly after it came out and never went back (vet trials excluded of course).  Loved it so much that my posting history here and on other forums regarding the nge are all negative.  Try again Mr. Sandbox.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

I'd much rather switch classes on my main character than re-grind a new character. I like playing different classes and different roles, but I hate the way some games use alts as an "extend your playtime" feature and make you regrind the hours of boring leveling just to reach  end game and be able to play your new class.
    If I couldn't have switchable mains, I'd next rather have many alts on the same server.

But (supposedly) each class has it's own story 100% so there will be no repeating of content if you play a different class of character.

If the legacy system is an option... I think it'll be a good thing.

I doubt re-rolling your toon to a new class will delete your first character. Just create a younger copy and allow you to continue "end-game" like the innevitable PvP with your first toon.

• Jwave001Jwave001 Member Posts: 16

Jesus, I pray that my girlfriend doesn't get pregnant, why would I want my toon to get a mini me?  No one needs a virtual rug rat... besides, most children rebel against their parents in the star wars universe, chances are that you will get killed by them ><

Life is about take chances and venturing out of your box, making mistakes and learning from them, and doing what you love. Find what drives you, as all paths end the same, so why not make the most of it and live a life worth living without regret?

• kriebloodkrieblood Member Posts: 223

God that just sounds like a horrible idea.

Mortal Online/EarthRise/Project V13
    TheVindicators.com

• darkrain5darkrain5 Member Posts: 53

I rader have no classes so you change skills whenever you want to without having to have 2 toons

• Bluff+ZiggsBluff+Ziggs Member Posts: 69

Not knowing how to spell rather...classic.

Back to the topic at hand, I think as long as this legacy system does not kill off the original character, what's the harm? And if they give your offspring certain perks/bonuses/whatever available only to offsprings, it could be quite interesting. Plus if your toons are all related, it adds a degree of immersiveness.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

If you want to allow players, like in some games, to avoid the early levels when making an alt that's fine. Like, I got a max level toon, I can now start toons at level 20. Sure.

But the "I got a kid" thing? Why? I'ts pointless.

I totally disagree on the "immersiveness". I do agree with another poster. How and why do I have a kid old enough to be a bounty hunter? Am I, the original character now 40 years old or MORE? Did I have a kid when I was 11 years old?

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

I shared my view on this possible feature in the swtor forums and I'll share it here as well. I suggested that, instead of unlocking a separate character, making you abandon your main, so to speak, your offspring would be added to your companion list. In the case of Jedi and Sith this would be a padawan and apprentice. This way, you get to keep your character, and can actually interact with your legacy character.

In my opinion, its a win-win situation. implement the legacy system straight into the confirmed companion one.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I'll just pick another class to play when I am done with the first one.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

I don't know. It sound to me like it might mean that the game is too storyline driven (for an mmo) and this is a way of encouraging players to repeat the story while lessening the impact of repeating. Just an impression. Would obviously need to see it in action.