Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Book 8 issues

Not exactly the smoothest book update.

All 4 new instances are bugged.

Large amount of lag and connection issues.

Several reports of players logging into other players characters.

Someone even had screenshots from in game with a popup asking 'Do you want to destroy the Auction House"

The forums went down at 9am CST along with the Lorebook and a few other areas of the main www.lotro.com site.

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Good thing I decided not to return, for pretty much ever!  LOTRO has gone downhill severely since MoM!

• thedgethedge Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Khrymson
    Good thing I decided not to return, for pretty much ever!  LOTRO has gone downhill severely since MoM!

I think just the opposite. MoM was a smooth launch and the game has continued to grow and improve. LOTRO is still one of the best mmo's out there.

I know there are some issues with book 8, but I was able to do two of the new instances without issues. People in our kin were complaining about some bugs though. I think they did release this one a bit early, but I heard some of the big issues would resolved by tomorrow.

Patch day in any mmo is never perfect.

• DurandDurand Member Posts: 11

Forums are back up.  I was a little afraid that this would be a blackout like happened in Horizons.  :(

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Downhill?  Game seems way better to me now than it was in the earlier days.  It does appear though they should have delayed this Book a tad longer though to iron things out because it is rather buggy.  Not the worst update/patch I've ever seen (that award would go to Funcom about a hundred times over) but I would have expected better from Turbine.

On a bright note, it does seem least to some extent the exploit issue causing mobs to bug out to where you have to try and do the mamba to get them to attack properly has been fixed in the zones itself.  On a bad note, there are issues with all of the new instances.  Although hopefully over the next few days they iron this out.

Like anoter poster said though not like issues showing up on patch day is anything new with mmos.  I did think it would go a little better though.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• arebareb Member Posts: 144

Of the mentioned issues I've experienced pretty much all of them.  Did a 3-man instance and the boss bugged... Had to disband group.  Logged out and then couldn't log in again for another hour.  Seems to be server-wide 1 second lag freezes.  This is the worst patch launch I've ever seen in this game.  Hopefully Thursday teh buggy instances will be fixed.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Literally all I did last night was log onto each of my toons, reorganize their banks, and trade in their crit items for the new ones.  Freed up a ton of bank space, and the organization of my crit items is a lot more logical now.   But man, that was ceratinly not my idea of excitement. 

Oh yeah, and I cut some gems, smelted some ore,  and tanned some hides.  Wheeee!

Looking forward to actually doing some adventuring tonight.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• Jellyf1shJellyf1sh Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Yeebo

Literally all I did last night was log onto each of my toons, reorganize their banks, and trade in their crit items for the new ones.  Freed up a ton of bank space, and the organization of my crit items is a lot more logical now.   But man, that was ceratinly not my idea of excitement. 

I wish i could have that much excitement.

Us poor schlobs in the EU, haven't even got the patch yet.

It's been delayed until codemasters  "can go live with the fixes to these issues"

But more worrying this statement  "Please note that further issues discovered on the US service may preclude us from releasing Book 8 until further hotfixes are received".

Still, i love this game so much that i'll forgive Turbine this time. Just get it fixed ASAP guys....PLEASE

• ArkronisArkronis Member Posts: 3

I too play on the EU servers, and I have to actually applaud Codemasters for wanting to hold off the application of Book 8 to our servers and that they will hold off as long as it takes for Turbine to get the fixes through.  Especially seeing the issues that had developed over on the US side.

I do personally hope next time Turbine will look back and not release until known bugs are squashed instead of release on time then hotfix.  I know other companies have done worse but stil... ;)

Originally posted by Arkronis

I too play on the EU servers, and I have to actually applaud Codemasters for wanting to hold off the application of Book 8 to our servers and that they will hold off as long as it takes for Turbine to get the fixes through.  Especially seeing the issues that had developed over on the US side.
    I do personally hope next time Turbine will look back and not release until known bugs are squashed instead of release on time then hotfix.  I know other companies have done worse but stil... ;)

Yeah, I really don't understand why they felt they had to push this Book out before it was obviously ready to go live.  Rather foolish on their part.

Either that or maybe some prior Funcom devs and managers were hired by Turbine recently.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I agree with this claim. I still play since beta paying for every month, but since MoM I rather feel they are making really bad decisions and the gameplay is actually going down.

I blame lifetime subscr. system for that. Old customers are no longer important - they no longer pay and their opinion (when they chosed the game at first place) is no longer valid. Their strategy will always be to change the game's focus and vision to lure new players instead of keeping old ones.

REALITY CHECK

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Thillian

I agree with this claim. I still play since beta paying for every month, but since MoM I rather feel they are making really bad decisions and the gameplay is actually going down.

I blame lifetime subscr. system for that. Old customers are no longer important - they no longer pay and their opinion (when they chosed the game at first place) is no longer valid. Their strategy will always be to change the game's focus and vision to lure new players instead of keeping old ones.

I hope this is not the case. You would think that companies would have learned something from the SOE SWG CU/NGE disaster.

I like LOTRO and have only noticed 1 bug and a few instances of severe lag. I have no doubt that there are more.

Turbine does need to be more careful about releasing new content before it is thoroughly tested.

Eh...I feel quite the opposite and I played this game when it first went live.  To me it's a hell of a lot better now then it was then.  I like the direction they're taking myself for the most part.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I agree with this as well. Played LotRO for over 2 years since private beta and am a lifetimer. Ever since MoM, I've lost interest. I leveled my guard to 54 and got bored. So I leveled a captain to 50. Had a blast until I reached Moria, and once again lost interest.

It feels like Turbine is pushing the game into a more gear-oriented game than it used to be. It's turning into a gated, grind-fest, imo. Some people enjoy that kind of play. I don't, so I'm putting LotRO aside for a while.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

I personally am not concerned about the bugs at new books if they are fixed hastly, i'm more concerned about the lack of vision fromd devs. SoA was quite casual, there was very high item customization -- you had a lot of different armour equally strong from various contents (raiding, soloing, small groups, crafting etc..)

Now you have radiance, which is far more superior -- each class has one radiance. Hence everyone has the same bonuses. On the top of it you need this radiance to get into the new raid. It's ridiculous.

And I rather won't mention the legendaries...

Most of the people that were lifetimes are gone now, because they don't like the changes. But Turbine got a new wave of customers, which might like these new things. And this will probably go on -- blame lifetime system.

REALITY CHECK

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

I personally am not concerned about the bugs at new books if they are fixed hastly, i'm more concerned about the lack of vision fromd devs. SoA was quite casual, there was very high item customization -- you had a lot of different armour equally strong from various contents (raiding, soloing, small groups, crafting etc..)
    Now you have radiance, which is far more superior -- each class has one radiance. Hence everyone has the same bonuses. On the top of it you need this radiance to get into the new raid. It's ridiculous.

Most of the people that were lifetimes are gone now, because they don't like the changes. But Turbine got a new wave of customers, which might like these new things. And this will probably go on -- blame lifetime system.

Yeah, I'm a lifetimer and decided to take a break. They went from having four different routes to getting good gear, raiding, crafting, random world drops, pvp. Those were all about on par with each other. Now you either have radiance gear and are pimped out or you don't have radiance gear and are gimped out.

They completely borked high end crafting into being pointless. I could actually go on about how they totally took this game in an opposite direction that any one was expecting and I am sure, like others have stated, plenty of us lifetimers are taking off at least for a bit. Oh, well I got my money's worth out of it.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• MortueMortue Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by seabass2003

Yeah, I'm a lifetimer and decided to take a break. They went from having four different routes to getting good gear, raiding, crafting, random world drops, pvp. Those were all about on par with each other. Now you either have radiance gear and are pimped out or you don't have radiance gear and are gimped out.

They completely borked high end crafting into being pointless. I could actually go on about how they totally took this game in an opposite direction that any one was expecting and I am sure, like others have stated, plenty of us lifetimers are taking off at least for a bit. Oh, well I got my money's worth out of it.

I'm a original lifetimer (#0145) myself , and a dedicated crafter in all disipline... oh boy,  what a bummer MOM was.

I stayed until now in hope of improvement, but no.. just more raid or die attude, so time for a very long break.

This is exactly what happens when the company offers lifetime subscribtion.

In other words it means they will not care about the vision that lured the market segment that went for lifetime, and rather change the vision sooner or later to lure new kind of players -- new market segment. That will partially again go for the lifetime, and so they change the vision again, over and over and over again.

Most of the fe atures that made the game good at first place are no longer present.

REALITY CHECK

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Originally posted by solareus

Game is patched, and book 8 is amazing.

Ditto. It was well worth the wait. All the changes Turbine have made have really helped streamline the lower levels.

The quest updates to the Breeland area are simply brilliant. New quests and hubs, a completely revamped Barrow Downs and better use of what was barren areas of north Bree. I've just leveled a Man Minstrel to level 23 and i have to say, this is some of the best fun i've had in a while. I always felt a sense of purpose and direction.

Apart from the slight release delay, this has been a textbook example of how to update a game - no nerfing.  Just tweak the good to make it great - Well done Turbine, now on to book 9.....

Originally posted by Jellyf1sh

Ditto. It was well worth the wait. All the changes Turbine have made have really helped streamline the lower levels.
    The quest updates to the Breeland area are simply brilliant. New quests and hubs, a completely revamped Barrow Downs and better use of what was barren areas of north Bree. I've just leveled a Man Minstrel to level 23 and i have to say, this is some of the best fun i've had in a while. I always felt a sense of purpose and direction.
    Apart from the slight release delay, this has been a textbook example of how to update a game - no nerfing.  Just tweak the good to make it great - Well done Turbine, now on to book 9.....

No nerfing?!

You may have missed the champion nerf that resulted in over 800 posts in a couple of days before it was closed by the moderators.  I really wish they would just tweak things like you say.  The champs main stance was hit with a -30% healing penalty and the book 15 horse reward was nerfed.  That is on top of the dps neft, b/p/e nerf, rend nerf, CB, and CBR nerf to the class since moria released.  I really liked my character, but I want to continue progressing, not losing things I have worked to obtain.

• CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Durand

No nerfing?!

You may have missed the champion nerf that resulted in over 800 posts in a couple of days before it was closed by the moderators.  I really wish they would just tweak things like you say.  The champs main stance was hit with a -30% healing penalty and the book 15 horse reward was nerfed.  That is on top of the dps neft, b/p/e nerf, rend nerf, CB, and CBR nerf to the class since moria released.  I really liked my character, but I want to continue progressing, not losing things I have worked to obtain.

Clearly Jellyfish has no idea what they are talking about... you forgot the Minstrel DPS nerf as well, although you probably won't hear too much crying about that. Turbine's book updates in Moria have been pretty bad, at least that's the general idea on the OFFICIAL forums. Seems like the official forums (which represent ONLY customers that are subscribed) could use some more Turbine cheerleading...

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by logicbox9

No nerfing?!

Clearly Jellyfish has no idea what they are talking about... you forgot the Minstrel DPS nerf as well, although you probably won't hear too much crying about that. Turbine's book updates in Moria have been pretty bad, at least that's the general idea on the OFFICIAL forums. Seems like the official forums (which represent ONLY customers that are subscribed) could use some more Turbine cheerleading...

Nice to see that some of our long time haters are still around, must mean LotrO is still doing good :)

Champions got a small nerf that have almost 0 impact on the game, they just got rebalance to pre-Moria power so now there is really good balance between all 9 classes! Whining on forums about class changes are always the same, most Champs I know actually anjoy the changed since it forces them to play better. 

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

No nerfing?!

Nerfing, i see no nerfing. What's wrong with a few tweaks?

I have a level 60 Champ among my 6 characters and i can tell you that i am more than happy to see him balanced and brought into line with other classes.

The challenge is to learn new strategies when these changes occur. after all,  MMO's are living, dynamic entities.

I get it, you're afraid of change,but I bet no one whines and complains when their favourite class gets a boost.

C'est la vie

Long time hater?  I have 10 posts since joining in 2005 and not all of those were for LOTRO....

I want the game to succeed and grow.  I have a lot of time invested in my character and a guild that keeps asking me to come back/roll an alt.  However, book 8 launched with a lot of know issues and unexpected lag that required multiple fixes and restarts.  Turbine has done better and I don't think it's right to continue to say it's okay and just accept it as the new standard.

I also don't agree with the champion classes development with/post-Moria.  The class has seen a lot of nerfs and the fervour nerf didn't address the issue they wanted to fix, nor did it make guardians desirable in groups.  If anything they needed to revise the b/p/e nerf/caps for all classes and design the mobs and encounters around needing someone to block/parry/evade rather than dps race/mass heal though the boss encounters.  They need to invest the time and effort into fixing the real problem.

I hope they find a better solution to the b/p/e issue in game and remember to reverse the latest nerf.  I also hope the next book has something for each class other than reduce this, nerfed that.  People want to see something new, not skills taken away.  I don't mind a challenge, but there should be a reward for the effort.  I also  think it is sometimes necessary to speak up about changes in quality and customer service.  Those kind of changes should scare anyone that cares about the game.

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

The book 8 issues have mostly been resolved from what I have seen.. Not sure why this thread is still active :P.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.