Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you aren't playing LoTRO /moved

You are missing out.
That's all.

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I found it to be the most fun wow clone I've played, so I agree :)

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • RaknarRaknar Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

How is it a WoW clone? It has the engine and interface of AC2, which predates WoW. All the so called WoW-clone features that people keep saying LOTRO has were around before WoW. Turbine was one of the inventors of the MMO genre. It is WoW that is the clone.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Raknar

Originally posted by Hyanmen

How is it a WoW clone? It has the engine and interface of AC2, which predates WoW. All the so called WoW-clone features that people keep saying LOTRO has were around before WoW. Turbine was one of the inventors of the MMO genre. It is WoW that is the clone.

It's the best AC2 clone ever, then!

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

I've heard generally only good things abou LoTRO and I'm considering giving the game a try :)

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• Dr_IsotopeDr_Isotope Member Posts: 12

I just resubbed for the $9.99 deal just to see, and I'm happy with the tweaks that have been made since I last played, and I haven't even made it out of the beginner area yet.  Some nice new perks / UI improvements / balancing improvements.  I played 2 betas and then played release for two months--it's more fun now than I remembered it being.

Thumbs up so far.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I played for about a year. Excellent game, really enjoyed my time in it.

For some reason I get really bored in it now, though. Just not too into themepark games anymore...always seems like it's the same thing over and over.

LOTRO is probably the best one on the market though. I REALLY wish more games would make use of blur shaders the way Turbine does in this game. They really enhance the immersion.

• TsukieUTsukieU Member Posts: 559

The game just always felt way too sluggish for me.

Felt like I was back playing Everquest and spending 5 minutes to kill one thing.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.

• GoronianGoronian Member Posts: 724

I might want to give it another try this summer. Would be nice, as a second themepak, while I wait for something different.

The first one? EQII. Hell yeah, I'm enjoying this game all over again.

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    Originally posted by TsukieU

The game just always felt way too sluggish for me.

Felt like I was back playing Everquest and spending 5 minutes to kill one thing.

I think it really depends on your class, man. I felt that way with my Guard, when I first started playing...but then I rolled a Hunter.

Champion also kills nice and fast...can't say much for the new classes since I've never tried them.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by Goronian

I might want to give it another try this summer. Would be nice, as a second themepak, while I wait for something different.

I'm trying to play EQ2 again, but I feel like I'm missing something. There's just this... well, it's hard to describe, I suppose. It's a feeling I get about the game world, like a sort of blandness about it. Part of the problem is that I can't seem to find any lower level guilds, so I'll play a few levels and get bored pretty quickly. I've got the latest everything as far as expansions and adventure packs, so I know there's a ton of stuff I can do. I just can't seem to find a path in the game and stick with it, if that makes any sense.

I've also got LOTRO and the most fun I've had in that game, believe it or not, was sitting in the Prancing Pony and listening to other people's RP stories. It's a great game, but I get that same feeling I get with EQ2. Unfortunately, the only game that I DO feel a sense of direction in is WoW, but that's because everything is pretty much laid out for you. There are times when I feel like I've got some sort of adult on-set ADD or something.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• GoronianGoronian Member Posts: 724
    Originally posted by jonrd463

Originally posted by Goronian

I'm trying to play EQ2 again, but I feel like I'm missing something. There's just this... well, it's hard to describe, I suppose. It's a feeling I get about the game world, like a sort of blandness about it. Part of the problem is that I can't seem to find any lower level guilds, so I'll play a few levels and get bored pretty quickly. I've got the latest everything as far as expansions and adventure packs, so I know there's a ton of stuff I can do. I just can't seem to find a path in the game and stick with it, if that makes any sense.

I've also got LOTRO and the most fun I've had in that game, believe it or not, was sitting in the Prancing Pony and listening to other people's RP stories. It's a great game, but I get that same feeling I get with EQ2. Unfortunately, the only game that I DO feel a sense of direction in is WoW, but that's because everything is pretty much laid out for you. There are times when I feel like I've got some sort of adult on-set ADD or something.

I tihnk both EQII and LOTRO are ALL about finding a good guild. The're more group-heavy, than WoW and there are a lot of things that require some more thought.

One big problem in LOTRO for me is it's... Shalowness? You die - you can ressurect a few feet away with just a mild annoyance. Don't get me started on WoW-like crafting.

Personally, I never felt either world is bland, but rather more fantasy-ish and realistic. WoW and WAR, for example, feel to kitchy with those oversized shoulderplates and stuff dangling/glowing/orbiting. Guess it's just me.

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

Its a nice game. The things I like the most about it, is the ever expanding world, right now its between 2 and 3 times larger than it was a release. I also like how you can do non combat stuff and share it with others, how you can dress like you want independent of your gear and the general beauty of the gameworld.

But know that if you are a hard core raider or hardcore pvp'er then you will probably be bored very fast in this game. Its super casual.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

I got spoiled by games where combat is more visceral.  Now LOTRO feel to me like one of these korean grinders, with mobs every 2 metters.  I will probably play again with a linear themepark like that, but It will be AION.  Sorry LOTRO.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I have two friends who say that it is a waste of my time. No matter how fun the lore might be the game isn't for me. I trust them. I'm still bearing the scars when I didn't listen to them and played Vanguard. I can't believe I actually payed for that sh**!

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• I played LOTRO for a while and it just isn't the game for me. Its far to group centric and I simply don't have the time or inclination to play at someone else's pace. Also, the whole "High Fantasy" thing with elves, dwarves, orcs, etc. is getting old.

YMMV

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

How many times do people have to have it pointed out to them that Tolkien was around before WoW? So much of what you see in WoW looks like it is lifted from the huge collection of artwork that existed before WoW’s conception.

LotR Online is still in my top three best ever MMO’s. Yes you have to form a group sometimes, that’s what you are supposed to do in MMO’s otherwise we might as well all be playing a solo game.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

I tried it. Sluggish controls. Yes i'm spoiled by WOW smoothness.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Ive tried repeatedly to enjoy the game.  I sunk some money into it with the CE, several 3 month subs (*edit* which I usually play a few days to a week during the 3 months total), went out of my way to get some limited edition in-game items for it as well.

its just not dark enough for me.  I know that sounds like an odd excuse, and to some it may not feel that way but theres no gritty side to your character.  You're stuck playing the role of a lawful good protaganist and all the quests in the game have you down the straight and narrow. 

It does have a good storyline, a good crafting system and an awesome community.  It just lacks the grit and the darker side of RPG's that I enjoy.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

I actually just resubbed to lotro recently having a blast.  Got to about 35 on my trial period with a warden yea you bet i subbed that this game rules.   It's nice to come back I've played EQ for 9 years now and beta'd lotro it was nowhere near as fun as it is now. 

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Originally posted by Teiman

I got spoiled by games where combat is more visceral.  Now LOTRO feel to me like one of these korean grinders, with mobs every 2 metters.  I will probably play again with a linear themepark like that, but It will be AION.  Sorry LOTRO.

This made me laugh....comparing LoTRO to a Korean grinder then saying your going to play Aion, which some have said IS a Korean grinder....

• FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

I played the first week of lauch and it was 2 choppy for me, pretty poor combat and interface, etc.

I know it was only the start area and may of updated now, but I cbf on it now.

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477
    Originally posted by junzo316

This made me laugh....comparing LoTRO to a Korean grinder then saying your going to play Aion, which some have said IS a Korean grinder....

I've played Aion, and it is a bit grindy. But not even close to real korean grinders.

• SholShol Member Posts: 361
    Originally posted by junzo316

Some said someone laughed about this.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

i love lotro, i only stopped playing because i rolled on a low pop server and its hard to get groups for my class. when i go back, i'm gonna transfer to a higher pop server and hopefully that solves the problem. and yea everything WoW has, has already been done in other games. lotro is closer to everquest more then anything. its more focused on group play then soloing like wow.

lotro is the curently the best linear mmo out, while eve online is the best sandbox mmo.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

It was fun untill my 1st quest.. go kill some bugs becouse they are evil ==;