Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

not what i was hoping for

i was hoping that this game would be kinda like eve except avatar based and the quests wouldnt be horribly boring. However after reading all the dev crap i realize that it wont be what i was hoping for. SWG except with better combat and customization. However it looks like its gonna be one of those linear hand holding games

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

Comments

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by illorion

i was hoping that this game would be kinda like eve except avatar based and the quests wouldnt be horribly boring. However after reading all the dev crap i realize that it wont be what i was hoping for. SWG except with better combat and customization. However it looks like its gonna be one of those linear hand holding games

Still doesn't mean it won't be fun as hell. Also, we know little about the actual game..don't give up hope yet.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Yeah well, I think what you were hoping is crap. Eve isn't a good game, dear. Its boring and frustrating. Yes, I've played it. I won't play it again.

I'm glad its avatar play. Heck of alot more fun.

As for the quests, they will do well. Its what Bioware does. And the quests are why I play games. If they didn't have it, I wouldn't be playing.

You are in the vast minority of gamers. I am not.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I find your lack of faith disturbing.... lol darth joke, but seriously, just think of it as one of those single player rpg games, its mostly about storyline with some online content. as for eve being boring.. it is if you lack creative imagination.. or to put it another way, ....friends

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

I got a kick out of the lack of faith comment... kudos for the one.

As for the matter at hand, don't give up on the game so soon.  We really know very little about what the final game is going to be like, it's way too early to be making this kind of judgement call.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I'm confused, why would it be anything but an online version of KOTOR?

It is sounding like that is exactly what they are delivering...  Which if you are a fan of KOTOR this will be a fun game for sure.

The way its being described to us sounds like KOTOR where everyone in your party is a real person rather than an NPC, which to me sounds interesting enough to warrent giving it a try.

• CoffeeGruntCoffeeGrunt Member Posts: 192

Game not  released = 1 person sayin im dissappointed =person have no clue =blub blub

wait till release test it  then run your mouth

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by CoffeeGrunt

Game not  released = 1 person sayin im dissappointed =person have no clue =blub blub
    wait till release test it  then run your mouth

thats a good point, the game isnt even in alpha yet, so we have no idea what the final version will be, so far all their doing is talking about it, and its not like theres been all that much of that either, we know its got a storyline, though whether the storyline is essential, or even central to the game, we're not entirely sure, its early days, it may be over a year yet before we get a clearer view of what the game will be like.

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548

So let me get this straight.

You saw Star Wars.....The Old Republic....made by Bioware....and somehow thought: sandbox large-scale political territory control with in-depth security status and crafting. Craaaaazzzyyyyyyy.

Maybe you got this confused with Earthrise somehow

Earthrise = Eve with characters. Now go off and play with your friends on the interstate.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Rydeson
    <Mod edit>

I find your statement Highly illogical captian.

You sound just as bad as they do... Perhaps we should not sink to anyones level and just try to be nice?

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

It is a Bioware game so even with that fact alone it makes it at least worth checking out. I am also glad it is not like Eve, so friends had me try that  a year or so ago and I didn't like it. Be nice to have a mmo with a great storyline.

Originally posted by Moirae

Yeah well, I think what you were hoping is crap. Eve isn't a good game, dear. Its boring and frustrating. Yes, I've played it. I won't play it again. Only boring people get bored...dear. Eve is 1 of only 2 standard MMO's  that is growing. Regardless of your opinion, even the major players in the Industry, Smed, pardo, even some of the devs working on TOR have given eve a nod. It also seems eve style games are taking over the next gen of mmo's while the linear devs who make games for the majority such as yourself are running with their tail tucked into the microtranny tween market in order to survive. CCP is raking it in meanwhile. Adding huge new features for their customers, not cutting staff down to a skeleton crew. Pretty good for a game that was made for an audience of 25k, little money invested, and until recently a digi download only. In 10 years eve could reach 1million subs. Soe cant do that with 5 games designed or redesigned for the "majority" with more money for marketing of one game than ccp has spent total on eve.

I'm glad its avatar play. Heck of alot more fun. Eve with avatars is what the OP was saying he would like.

As for the quests, they will do well. Its what Bioware does. And the quests are why I play games. If they didn't have it, I wouldn't be playing. Bioware does "story" and quality.

You are in the vast minority of gamers. I am not. Actually you are. If you were the majority that you and devs talk about. You would play WOW, and when you were done with it, you would be done with MMO's until blizzard releases another. And you wouldnt be posting here. That majority doesnt care about quests or story or immersion. They dont know the difference between open world or linear or even care. What the hell is a TOR is what they would say about this game.  Ding and epic is what they want. If they had to listen to every npc talk and then have to decide between three possible answers they would uninstall. The majority you are referring to i believe would sooner play pre-cu swg. TOR audience will be 300k-500k only because it's kotor. Otherwise it would be 2-300k like all the rest. Anything higher will be up to the community. So far thats looking pretty bad. Mean people who regergitate what marketing hacks say...are boring and square. Fanbois are never seen in game.

All in fun:)

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• hubertgrovehubertgrove Member Posts: 1,141

Yeah well, I think what you were hoping is crap. Eve isn't a good game, dear. Its boring and frustrating. Yes, I've played it. I won't play it again.

As for the quests, they will do well. Its what Bioware does. And the quests are why I play games. If they didn't have it, I wouldn't be playing.

You are arguing for a game about which we know less than nothing - and which Bioware are deliberately concealing.

The small amount of information they have released shows that the game is a run-on-rails experience SRPG Online which users will have to 'rent' rather than buy.

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

You are also a single player gamer.

• crazescapecrazescape Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

Yeah well, I think what you were hoping is crap. Eve isn't a good game, dear. Its boring and frustrating. Yes, I've played it. I won't play it again. Only boring people get bored...dear. Eve is 1 of only 2 standard MMO's  that is growing. Regardless of your opinion, even the major players in the Industry, Smed, pardo, even some of the devs working on TOR have given eve a nod. It also seems eve style games are taking over the next gen of mmo's while the linear devs who make games for the majority such as yourself are running with their tail tucked into the microtranny tween market in order to survive. CCP is raking it in meanwhile. Adding huge new features for their customers, not cutting staff down to a skeleton crew. Pretty good for a game that was made for an audience of 25k, little money invested, and until recently a digi download only. In 10 years eve could reach 1million subs. Soe cant do that with 5 games designed or redesigned for the "majority" with more money for marketing of one game than ccp has spent total on eve.

I'm glad its avatar play. Heck of alot more fun. Eve with avatars is what the OP was saying he would like.

As for the quests, they will do well. Its what Bioware does. And the quests are why I play games. If they didn't have it, I wouldn't be playing. Bioware does "story" and quality.

You are in the vast minority of gamers. I am not. Actually you are. If you were the majority that you and devs talk about. You would play WOW, and when you were done with it, you would be done with MMO's until blizzard releases another. And you wouldnt be posting here. That majority doesnt care about quests or story or immersion. They dont know the difference between open world or linear or even care. What the hell is a TOR is what they would say about this game.  Ding and epic is what they want. If they had to listen to every npc talk and then have to decide between three possible answers they would uninstall. The majority you are referring to i believe would sooner play pre-cu swg. TOR audience will be 300k-500k only because it's kotor. Otherwise it would be 2-300k like all the rest. Anything higher will be up to the community. So far thats looking pretty bad. Mean people who regergitate what marketing hacks say...are boring and square. Fanbois are never seen in game.

I rarely take the time to post on sites as this, but your post was not only flawed greatly but it also lacks truth. Only boring people get bored, I don't even have to begin to explain how rude that is to post in response to someone's opinion, and how untrue it is. Turn off your computer and twiddle those over indulgent thumbs of yours and see how long it takes you to "become a boring person."

Second, EvE is ridiculously overrated and is only played by complete nerds that keep data sheets and live online. No casual gamers or people that have friends play it, as joked about above in another post by a player himself. I'd like to know how the genre is 1 of 2 standard for mmos... because I surely have yet to hear about any games similar to EvE that have picked up a subscriber base.

Also, your stereotypes about WoW and its players are humorous in the least. That game is successful because it encapsulated everything that people enjoyed about EverQuest and built upon it. You don't have to be a fan of the lore to enjoy and learn the game, unlike games such as KOTOR, which is why I'm personally hoping TOR is exactly how the developers are making it seem. A game where you develop your own personal story and character and then jump into the universe of Star Wars, rather than having the history of it jammed down the throat of players that aren't huge fans.

Also, for someone that is trying to come off so intelligent and all knowing, you need to spell a little better, as regurgitate is clearly too big for your taste.

I'd suggest you jump back in your spaceship and fly around the "open world" you live in and stop harassing players that state their opinions. I do agree the poster you quoted is in the majority, as you've said yourself, it would take 10 years for EvE to reach 1 million subs... how you consider that to be a top genre in the mmo industry baffles me.

Originally posted by crazescape

I rarely take the time to post on sites as this, but your post was not only flawed greatly but it also lacks truth. Only boring people get bored, I don't even have to begin to explain how rude that is to post in response to someone's opinion, and how untrue it is. Turn off your computer and twiddle those over indulgent thumbs of yours and see how long it takes you to "become a boring person."

Second, EvE is ridiculously overrated and is only played by complete nerds that keep data sheets and live online. No casual gamers or people that have friends play it, as joked about above in another post by a player himself. I'd like to know how the genre is 1 of 2 standard for mmos... because I surely have yet to hear about any games similar to EvE that have picked up a subscriber base.

Also, your stereotypes about WoW and its players are humorous in the least. That game is successful because it encapsulated everything that people enjoyed about EverQuest and built upon it. You don't have to be a fan of the lore to enjoy and learn the game, unlike games such as KOTOR, which is why I'm personally hoping TOR is exactly how the developers are making it seem. A game where you develop your own personal story and character and then jump into the universe of Star Wars, rather than having the history of it jammed down the throat of players that aren't huge fans.

Also, for someone that is trying to come off so intelligent and all knowing, you need to spell a little better, as regurgitate is clearly too big for your taste.

I'd suggest you jump back in your spaceship and fly around the "open world" you live in and stop harassing players that state their opinions. I do agree the poster you quoted is in the majority, as you've said yourself, it would take 10 years for EvE to reach 1 million subs... how you consider that to be a top genre in the mmo industry baffles me.

Thanks. With that wonderful reply, I don't need to say anything to the rudeness of the reply to mine. Much appreciated. You are right.

Originally posted by crazescape

Thats the kinda response I was looking for. What someone "really' thinks. using the Im the majority and you're the minority implies something. Your opinion of eve and its players is what i assumed it implied. Nothing I said was as rude as that. Not even close. But your on the side of the wonderful people right? All i said was its your own fault if your bored. Maybe its you, not the game. Boring people get bored in games that let you do anything you want isnt rude. Its my opinion and observation. You never made a fort out of sheets and chairs and boxes when you were younger? Or did you sit around waiting to be entertained by someone else. You can find enjoyment anywhere with anything. If you cant..maybe its you. Why so upset about that? Why name call eve players and say they have no friends and tear apart the game. I didnt do any of that. Your obvioulsy smarter than me with your spelling and stuff, but you missed my point, and proved what I thought was being implied.

More people have quit playing WOW than all the other MMO's playerbases combined. They are not moving on to other MMO's. The rest are dying. They wont be here in 10 years..how you can consider a game that wont exist in 10 years to be the top of the genre and not a game that will hit a million subs baffles me. If your using WOW as proof of what the majority wants..like I said, they aren't moving to other MMO's. That majority doesnt care. If they enjoyed story, and lore and immersion..they would move on to MMO's that specialize in them. They dont. How many MMO's companies have said exactly what you think? How many of their games will still be here in 10 years?

There is no majority or minority. Only good games and bad games. And community can make a bad game more successful than 100 million dollar good game. Community is the only thing that makes a game grow. Incorporate community into your game, like eve, and see what happens. Not clone EVE, but the way their community builds itself.

Yet, you would have bioware repeat the same things as the other failures. Have them beleive that they, and their wonderful creative ability is all that is necessary. No community, just bioware's talent alone. The rest have failed because they werent talented enough. Story is what will do it. Mythic thought it was pvp, Turbine thought it was lore. Sigil thought it was immersion..they were wrong its story that will do it. CCP says its community. We'll see whos right i guess.

I want TOR to succeed. I beleive only community will give it any more success than the others. Combine it with the amazing story Im sure TOR will have, and I think they will have a winner. Without community, I see another hype,box sale, 300k subs, 250k subs, 150k subs..articles on why TOR failed.

Im sure Im wrong on alot of things, never said I was right, or smart, or anything of the sort. My opinion is worth the same as yours. I want a game that has things I like, but I also want it to be successful. I wouldnt dismiss someones opinon on how it could be successful because it was inspired by eve instead of wow. And Wow has 11 mil subs, so im the majority, your the minority, i win, your idea is crap. thats rude:) It's also boring:)

Pretty sure there is nothing rude in my post, or any personal insults. Boring people get bored. If you wanna take it as a personal attack...be my guest.  And cheer up. thanks for correcting my spelling for me too. Good times.

See you in the dream..

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

You can't say the game is going to be typical just because they haven't released a lot of information. That is so stupid... then again, if it discourages stupid people from playing the game... all the better.. hmm.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

When Bioware released their vision of SWTOR I think the majority of us were disappointed.  With that said, I  think we owe it to Bioware to remain open minded and give TOR a fair shake due to their success in console RPG gaming.  As a Star Wars fan I am willing to try any Star Wars MMO, but I too did not want a linear, quest based game.  I just hope it isn't gear-centered like WoW. 

Though I was a bit disppointed I am still excited about the release and will likely try it out at the very lease unless of course their is a deal breaker thrown into the mix. 

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Good lord.  Where oh where have you read anyone associated with the game saying it will be anything close to being swg 2???  The only people who were saying that were the ones who couldn't get past the idea that a Star Wars mmo=pre-cu.  It is not going to be swg 2.  It was never going to be swg 2.  Bioware has ZERO responsibility to make swg 2.  Zero.  All the swg "pre-cu4TW" types need to realize swg 2 ain't gonna happen.  If you don't like the game when it comes out because of how it plays then thats fine.  But its not fair or reasonable to bash it because its not swg 2, let alone bashing it before anyone has any clue what its going to be like.  I wish there was a face palm emote I could use here for times like this.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• neosapienceneosapience Member Posts: 164

Don't feed the trolls?

I don't even bother reading reviews anymore, let alone some drivel that was spewed forth from a raging nerd that hasn't even played the game yet. Try getting into the beta or wait for the free trial. Judge for yourself and stop posting this junk.

• RevthoughtRevthought Member Posts: 120

Eve is one of the best games ever made. And while it is all subjective, as they say, when it comes to aesthetics, most of those in the video gaming industry disagree with you completely.

That's not to say I don't enjoy games like The Old Republic might become, I do, its just to tell you that you are as wrong as you can possibly be about eve, "dear."

• GenleoGenleo Member Posts: 100

Who invited this guy?

Originally posted by Revthought

Eve is one of the best games ever made. And while it is all subjective, as they say, when it comes to aesthetics, most of those in the video gaming industry disagree with you completely.

That's not to say I don't enjoy games like The Old Republic might become, I do, its just to tell you that you are as wrong as you can possibly be about eve, "dear."

And? Whats your point, exactly? Just because you like it doesn't mean someone else does. Better to have this game be what made it popular in the first place than screwing over the style to become Eve. At the very least, you have to agree with that.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

So let me get this straight.

You saw Star Wars.....The Old Republic....made by Bioware....and somehow thought: sandbox large-scale political territory control with in-depth security status and crafting. Craaaaazzzyyyyyyy.
    Maybe you got this confused with Earthrise somehow
    Earthrise = Eve with characters. Now go off and play with your friends on the interstate.

Lol, I agree the OP is pretty dense. Bioware is know as one of the premier story tellers in gaming today. Mass effect, Kotor, Kotor2, etc all sell millions based on the quality of thier stories. Yet he wants them to throw all of that away and make another boring sand box game?

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Hearing the word "sandbox", as applied to mmo's, is really starting to annoy me now.  Almost as much as "iconic" and "star warsy".

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.