Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should i rejoin?

See, ive been away from MMOs for a few months now and was wondering if i should rejoin POTBS, I was in the beta and was wondering if anything has changed, whats the best server now, and if any nations are still there.

Comments

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

They added insurance last year, and skirmish this year.  Still no port governance.

Grind monkeys took over.  Economy is dead.  Societies produce everything internally.

Some factions are dead or close to it.

Rackham is dead, Defiant was stillborn.  Based on what I'm reading, Antigua is declining, Blackbeard is okay and Roberts is decent, but I haven't seen that one first-hand.

All in all, I can't say the game is doing well. But they have a winback program now, which should give you 2 free weeks with your old account; if you were just around in beta, you can always take up a trial and see if you like it.

I myself am done with the game and have moved on.  I may pay attention again if port governance is brought in, but I'm not expecting it.

• HannothanHannothan Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Vetarnias

They added insurance last year, and skirmish this year.  Still no port governance.
    Grind monkeys took over.  Economy is dead.  Societies produce everything internally.
    Rackham is dead, Defiant was stillborn.  Based on what I'm reading, Antigua is declining, Blackbeard is okay and Roberts is decent, but I haven't seen that one first-hand.
    All in all, I can't say the game is doing well. But they have a winback program now, which should give you 2 free weeks with your old account; if you were just around in beta, you can always take up a trial and see if you like it.
    I myself am done with the game and have moved on.  I may pay attention again if port governance is brought in, but I'm not expecting it.

Just so you're aware, this is coming from someone who does not play the game. Read up on the posts, he admits as much.

They did add insurance and a skirmish system. Insurance refunds 90% of your standard boat cost and about 50% of your bundleboat cost. It helps keep pvp players in boats.

Grind monkies have not taken over. Infact, they nerfed missions so that repeating them over and over again nets you nothing. The grind is still pretty much the same as it's been. Grinding ports for PvP circles and flips, however, they are adding in a blockade option to reduce this as well.

Rackham is not dead. This is what people who haven't played on Rackham for near a year tell you so you. It died down a bit, but has been recovering. You can find a good deal of action on the server if you play at the right times of day. In fact, as of this post, there are more red circles on rackham than antigua. You shouldn't believe what people who haven't played in months tell you about server populations. Vetarnias doesn't know, because all he does is knock the game. He never plays it, just complains about it.

The economy isn't dead. Yes, there are societies that produce everything they need, but if you're smart you can make a killing producing specific items and selling them in specific places, regardless of server. These societies that produce everything internaly will also help you with boats and other items if you ask.

And Vetarnias, if you are as you say, done with the game, why do you keep posting about it? It's obvious that the game will never be what you want it to be, why do you keep obsessing over it?

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by Hannothan

Just so you're aware, this is coming from someone who does not play the game. Read up on the posts, he admits as much.

They did add insurance and a skirmish system. Insurance refunds 90% of your standard boat cost and about 50% of your bundleboat cost. It helps keep pvp players in boats.

Grind monkies have not taken over. Infact, they nerfed missions so that repeating them over and over again nets you nothing. The grind is still pretty much the same as it's been. Grinding ports for PvP circles and flips, however, they are adding in a blockade option to reduce this as well.

Rackham is not dead. This is what people who haven't played on Rackham for near a year tell you so you. It died down a bit, but has been recovering. You can find a good deal of action on the server if you play at the right times of day. In fact, as of this post, there are more red circles on rackham than antigua. You shouldn't believe what people who haven't played in months tell you about server populations. Vetarnias doesn't know, because all he does is knock the game. He never plays it, just complains about it.

The economy isn't dead. Yes, there are societies that produce everything they need, but if you're smart you can make a killing producing specific items and selling them in specific places, regardless of server. These societies that produce everything internaly will also help you with boats and other items if you ask.

And Vetarnias, if you are as you say, done with the game, why do you keep posting about it? It's obvious that the game will never be what you want it to be, why do you keep obsessing over it?

First, I don't think I've been dishonest in the fact that I don't play anymore.  As you said, I'm saying as much elsewhere, so it never was my intent to deceive anyone.

For the record, I stopped playing in late April of this year, having returned to the game a month to see if anything had changed. So, a month and a half ago or so.  Prior to that, I left in June of last year, and went through a few other MMO's (Conan, WAR, WoW) before returning.

Grind monkeys have taken over, but they seem to burn out quickly (like the Wolfpack guys).  It's the only way to raise capital.  I was on Blackbeard last April, and every French society except one was running on a communistic model, i.e. no reliance on the outside market, and the rest of the faction was quickly telling that lone society that what it was doing went against the national interest.  Sure, my observations are based on the Blackbeard French and thus limited, but what I have read on the forums did not exactly lead me to believe that things worked differently elsewhere.

Still, I find this game fascinating as a case study of shortcomings in MMO's, which is why I still pay attention to it.  Great premise, squandered opportunity.  On top of that, I can add my general abhorrence for peeveepee types.  They get the game they want; seems like nobody else wants it.

I for one won't pretend that the game is doing well. Just read here on MMORPG.com; how often do you get new posts, let alone new articles about the game?

And I must add, if you don't like my telling the OP what I saw of the game (even if it's partial and probably outdated), why didn't ANY OF YOU bother to reply to the OP for the two days his post was here bobbing on top of the forums?  I did my best to help him, because nobody else did. And yet you replied to my post within half an hour; coincidence?  Or if you're a regular reader, why didn't YOU answer him?

• Mike1996Mike1996 Member Posts: 81

Well i decided to rejoin i purchased the game for a good price on ebay, i got it for $6 for the game and a time card and i also bought the preorder pack for $2.00, im going to play on Blackbeard (Pirate) if you still play ill see you in game.

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by Mike1996

Well i decided to rejoin i purchased the game for a good price on ebay, i got it for $6 for the game and a time card and i also bought the preorder pack for $2.00, im going to play on Blackbeard (Pirate) if you still play ill see you in game.

u chose a good side and server,

i havent been on my account in quite some time myself. not since before the avatar combat changes . 

safe sailing to you

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
    RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
    Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

...Still, I find this game fascinating as a case study of shortcomings in MMO's, which is why I still pay attention to it.  Great premise, squandered opportunity.  On top of that, I can add my general abhorrence for peeveepee types.  They get the game they want; seems like nobody else wants it.

That's the only reason I stop by from time to time too.

PotBS was a great idea in a great setting - very badly designed and implimented.

If I think that - why didn't I say so pre release?  Well I did actually.  And what still makes me smile is that many (most) of the Fanbois who repeatedly shouted down those of us who dared to question moved on within three months of the game going live.

But the peeveepee - well - I am a peeveepee-er and believe me that this game is nothing like what PvPers wanted.  Just because there is PvP in it don't think that this instanced and watered down version of PvP attracts all PvPers.

In fact, when my PotBS account was active I would often PvE in PotBS and if I felt like PvP I would log out and play WWIIoL.

Anyway OP - I would be interested to hear your feedback after you have been back in game for a while?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• Mike1996Mike1996 Member Posts: 81

Ok now so far i like it, Im lvl 12 my captain's name is James Hawking and i joined the Society (Mercyful Fate).

P.S. Ill give more Feedback as I progress.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

I rejoined like 2 months ago dident have time to give it a decent try when it came out, other games got in  the way.

But I would not belive the nay sayers on these boards to mush, try the game out I think its alot of fun. I play on EU Roberts and there are alot of people around. SO from somone who is actually playing the game is not dead.

Also they have fixed alot of things as I undrestand it, but you have to keep in mind that its a slow combat game. Pve and PVP fights can take a while to win or lose hehe.

All in all I have alot of fun leveling up my toon and getting into the econamy, producing stuff for my sociaty.

So for those that are interested try the free trail its fun..