Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next Gen SL interaction - Wii got nothing on this one

FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

This video says alot...

It's still early in developement, but this has WAY more potential than previous interactive attempts I've seen to date...This video is older now too.

Comments

• mrdoublerrmrdoublerr Member Posts: 269

I can imagine what peoples are going to use that for....... CYBER SEX!!!!

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

I'm sure it will need some clever scripters!

• RachellRachell Member Posts: 8

I just looked at the latest info I could find on their system. Granted, it's very interesting, but to tell the truth, how many people do you really think would use such a bulky system in SL? I see the system as having great possibilities for creating animations, but for actually working and interacting in SL, I have my doubts.

However, don't think I'm being a complete naysayer regarding alternative interfacing. With a small tweak to the GUI and some off the shelf hardware, I believe a person could do much the same with VR glasses (ok, I know they are expensive), a head tracking device and an animation control glove created by a modded mouse & keyboard.

These guys at Handsfree3d.com are doing some great work and I believe it will be useful in some way; just not as a primary interface for movement & creating objects.

Originally posted by Rachell

I just looked at the latest info I could find on their system. Granted, it's very interesting, but to tell the truth, how many people do you really think would use such a bulky system in SL? I see the system as having great possibilities for creating animations, but for actually working and interacting in SL, I have my doubts.
    However, don't think I'm being a complete naysayer regarding alternative interfacing. With a small tweak to the GUI and some off the shelf hardware, I believe a person could do much the same with VR glasses (ok, I know they are expensive), a head tracking device and an animation control glove created by a modded mouse & keyboard.
    These guys at Handsfree3d.com are doing some great work and I believe it will be useful in some way; just not as a primary interface for movement & creating objects.

i can see your points completely, but this is early developement too...just think what they'll come up with in say 5 years from now

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

Waiting for Linden Labs to do anything productive and for that amount of time is a waste...

Originally posted by Mystik86

Waiting for Linden Labs to do anything productive and for that amount of time is a waste...

you mistake my meaning...  linden labs just provides the blank sim for us...we, the creators, make this stuff...

and some of us will

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Faxxer

you mistake my meaning...  linden labs just provides the blank sim for us...we, the creators, make this stuff...
    and some of us will

There in lies the problem. Most of the "creators" in SL have already shown what they will do with any tool given to them. The end result is that a store selling you your own genitals will be located on every street corner.

Exactly what the first guy to reply to this thread said.

Originally posted by Raltar

Originally posted by Faxxer

and some of us will

There in lies the problem. Most of the "creators" in SL have already shown what they will do with any tool given to them. The end result is that a store selling you your own genitals will be located on every street corner.

Exactly what the first guy to reply to this thread said.

please, that market is well established, but it is by no means EVERY guy's only scripting desire.  and you know it

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

youre right, the wii would never fail that much at having fun

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

This kind of stuff is realy old. There are a few company' who done this kinda stuff a long time ago.

Old cyber gloves , vr glasses and tech like microsoft nathal will be  our first step into new controlls and ways to play.

If someoen is smart enoug to combine those techs you get a whole new experiance of play.

Then its waiting till direct interfacing chips but thats sci-f i for now..sadly enoug :)

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

can I buy bigger genitals or just my own?

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

When will I be able to plug in the Matrix?

Jokes aside, it is interesting to see development in this way - because it may actually make my joke possible, the Wii has been the first succesful mass-production step in this side, and as Sony and Microsoft show, Nintendo has really created the trend for others to follow into.

• RachellRachell Member Posts: 8

Actually, Raltar’s statement that “’creators’ in SL have already shown what they will do with any tool given to them” is where I see the positive side of all this. If it is Handsfree3D (HF3D) or some other option, I believe the people in SL will use it if they feel in enhances their SL experience. I believe HF3D is on the right track, they just have a long way to go.

I also believe Eladi is right on the money. VR glasses will allow a first person experience. A head tracking device (I’ve seen them, but don’t remember a brand name off hand) will do the same as moving the mouse to see in different directions. Just don’t sit to close to your desk and make sure your chair can turn 360 deg. . Then take the left and right mouse button switches from a cordless mouse and apply them to one hand (that’s the mouse hack.) On the other hand put two other buttons for your up and down keys (that’s the keyboard hack) so you can walk forward & backward. 

The only problem with my “hack” idea is creating and building. That’s where someone with more skill than I have, will need to re-code the SL GUI to improve the way such hacks can be used. Fortunately, it is an open source system for the talented coder.

I know, I’m dreaming, but I like SL more for its potential than what it is at the moment. For that I ask you to forgive my daydreaming.