Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

bioware/mythic absorbed by EA

www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92642-BioWare-and-Mythic-Merge-Mark-Jacobs-Leaves

so your thoughts? does this bode well for the game or not?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I don't think this will change anything.

Both companies don't have a majority of their staff that they made their successful games with.

A lot of their staff has changed over the years and it seems like their quality has gone down hill.

Slowly Mythic and Bioware will have all their origionally sapped out of them by EA swapping in horribly single minded staffers who have no vision.

• boobaloboobalo Member Posts: 49

we'll now more about what this "merger" entails in the coming months.  As of now, im a bit discouraged.  Mythic is terrible and if they are blended in with bioware its only gonna dilute their greatness.   This has been the downfall of many a great dev teams.  If they remain seperate then all is well.  one thing is for sure, if they let paul barnett have any influence on the game, even if its just on a PR level this game can kiss my ass

• viralzviralz Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by templarga

They have been part of EA for a long time if I am not mistaken. I know Mythic has.
    They have not merged or joined or whatever else word spinsters want to use. EA created a MMO/RPG branch of the company and both Mythic and Bioware are under that wing. The head of that wing is a Bioware executive, the head of Bioware is a Bioware executive and Mythic has a former founder as it's head now.
    And if I am not mistaken, EA's head is a former Bioware employee/executive.
    I think it bodes well.

dude this is the borg of gaming we're talking about. this is just their way of saying "you have been assimilated".

also they now have made bioware responsible for the stinkburger called warhammer.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643

Effect upon TOR - none.

Effect upon Mythic games - all future games will include a critical and heretofore missing fourth pillar of some kind or another, which will be spoken of at great length.

Internal reorg, nothing shocking, really.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• tapeworm00tapeworm00 Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by viralz

Originally posted by templarga

They have been part of EA for a long time if I am not mistaken. I know Mythic has.
    They have not merged or joined or whatever else word spinsters want to use. EA created a MMO/RPG branch of the company and both Mythic and Bioware are under that wing. The head of that wing is a Bioware executive, the head of Bioware is a Bioware executive and Mythic has a former founder as it's head now.
    And if I am not mistaken, EA's head is a former Bioware employee/executive.
    I think it bodes well.

dude this is the borg of gaming we're talking about. this is just their way of saying "you have been assimilated".

also they now have made bioware responsible for the stinkburger called warhammer.

hahahahahaha what?

• Wookiee6648Wookiee6648 Member Posts: 131

Boiware and mythic will be separate companies under a wing of EA..... Tho watch down the line, Bioware will be in court soon asking for a separation form EA  

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Watch how this unfolds for the next 6 months to 1 year... if it takes that long.

• sabiosusabiosu Member UncommonPosts: 33

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=841

to Quote from there:

This newly formed team will be led by Ray Muzyka, co-founder and General Manager of BioWare. With this change, Ray becomes Group General Manager of the new RPG/MMO studio group... Mark Jacobs, co-founder and current General Manager of Mythic, will leave EA on June 23, 2009. We thank Mark for his contributions at Mythic and wish him the very best going forward

From a executive point of wiev, Mythic was absorbed under BioWare's ranks. In EA's organization  Ray Muzyka is also vicepresident. Even if they promoted some dude from Mythic to get in charge of what projects still Mythic are running, that means nothing, he have now to answer to his boss that, well, have writen on him BioWare all over.  So pretty much, best bet is that in couple of months Mythis will be restructured as a branch for BioWare projects...  

How this will impact ToR? Well, Mythic specialization was PvP in MMO's, tbh, not starting to think - what comes in mind now is what Bioware stated about the pvp in SWTOR.. that will be inspired from WAR... time will tell.

/salute

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Eh. Oh well.

Though I do find it amusing that Bioware was a Canadian company based in the Albertan capital city. I grew up five hours from there though I now live in the US.

Btw, Bioware became part of EA in 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioware

Its been almost two years since then and the quality of the games hasn't decreased so there isn't any "waiting to see what happens", we've already seen what will happen.

The only announcement is that Mythic and Bioware will be merging, nothing more.

"Electronic Arts announced on June 24, 2009, that BioWare would be merging with other EA company, Mythic Entertainment. Along with this announcement, Mythic CEO Mark Jacobs would be stepping down as CEO, with co-founder Rob Denton filling the void. BioWare co-founder, Dr. Ray Muzyka, will be leading this new studio." (same site I just quoted)

• Wookiee6648Wookiee6648 Member Posts: 131

Well you have to look at it this way. ToR is to far along for the Mystic waterheads to mess it up.    Another thing is ToR will be a pretty big game, how well it does remains to be seen.

Here is another view of this merger. EA his hoping that ToR will be a hit and will do what EA could not do in a long time, please their customers.    

Do not view the merger as a bad thing, for one Bioware will mostly be in charge the mystic people will be added staff to any games Bioware is making at the moment.   So ToR will have added staff to help in whatever stage ToR is in. So they will either help finish it off or maintain the game or even help out with expansions.

So when it comes down to it Bioware will to the thinking and the old mystic people will be gofers.... errr i mean a helping hand in the game. 

• Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271

Very old news.  Rumors are that EA was one of the main reasons there is an mmorpg being made and not KOTOR3.

Merger happened between 10/2007 and 2/2008

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Originally posted by Moirae
    Its been almost two years since then and the quality of the games hasn't decreased so there isn't any "waiting to see what happens", we've already seen what will happen.

Mass Effect was supershort. But other than that, yea, it was a nice trial or techdemo or something, of a quality RPG game.

Helll... I have played games like the trial of Carmagedoom longer than Mass Effect.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think it is a good idea as long as the companies don't merge totaly.

MJ had his good points but he was done for with Mythic now, Warhammer was never the game it could have been. Some new and fresh leadership is good for the company.

I hope Bioware help Mythic and check everything in Warhammer. Fix the boring stuff while keeping the good. That could actually turn the game around and make it huge.

Of course there is always a chanse that half Mythic will work on TOR instead and a skeleton crew works on WAR, that would be bad.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Teiman

Originally posted by Moirae

Mass Effect was supershort. But other than that, yea, it was a nice trial or techdemo or something, of a quality RPG game.

Helll... I have played games like the trial of Carmagedoom longer than Mass Effect.

Nice to know I'm not alone in thinking Mass Effect was highly overrated.

• VendakuVendaku Member Posts: 77

If Bioware was absorbed by EA, it will have no adverse effect on the quality of SWTOR. Bioware still owns at making games, regardless of who owns them.

• sabiosusabiosu Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by Sunbelt

If Bioware was absorbed by EA, it will have no adverse effect on the quality of SWTOR. Bioware still owns at making games, regardless of who owns them.

EA brought BioWare for nearlly 1 bilion $ in 2007 for the solely reason at that time - unnanounced MMO in development... Long time owners and COE's of BioWare Ray Muzyka become vicepresident of EA ( 3rd or 4th in charge after Ricitello ) and his friend and cofounder of BioWare Dr Greg got in charge of what EA consider RPG / adventure division. ey both retained full control on theyr bab - BioWare studious. SO, bottom line , BioWare studio was not even 1% hit by the nerf bat EA put on the other studious they brought... if you chaek what games Bioware released under EA and what is on pipeline - you clearly see that the quality was more than outstanding... Dragon Age looks awsome, Mass Effect 2 demo at E3 was amazing...

Regarding the venture vith Mythic, i stated my 2 cents before, best bet is that now the most competent people from WAR will be switched to ToR and WAR will die slow with a scheleton crew, as  prolly any decent bussines plan a suit at EA could conceive is pointing that revenue vs costs on that game is going down at insane speed.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

EA kinda of trips me out like SOE does.