Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Follow me: Raid idea.

I would like to see a split raid (15-man)... say it is a space station. 5 of your guys (Group A) go to the control panel, and 5 of your guys (Group B) go another direction holding off heavy hitters, while 5 of your crew (Group C) are rocking in attack ships.

Group B has to hold off the heavy hitters from getting to Group A while they work on the puzzle (control panel) then once the panel is down... Group A meets with the Group B to hold off the now attacking "jedi". While Group C in the ships now have a chance to shoot a missile at the newly opened gate... to rock the space station.

That would be fun.

Btw I had to put option 7 in their as a joke.  :)

Please give me your thoughts... your ideas on raids.  Did you enjoy this one?

/discuss

Host of the Only Un-Official Star Wars The Old Republic Vodcast - www.youtube.com/user/uswtorv

Comments

• NicksdNicksd Member Posts: 403

I had to pick 1 man 39 women, because I hate raids. Even when your in large guilds raids still fail quite often, either sitting around waiting for people, or some people just cant seem to pay attention. List goes on and on.

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Nicksd

I had to pick 1 man 39 women, because I hate raids. Even when your in large guilds raids still fail quite often, either sitting around waiting for people, or some people just cant seem to pay attention. List goes on and on.

i agree with this statement. nothing worse than sitting around waiting on people and then sitting around waiting on those people to understand whats going on and then said people not listening causing wipe after wipe after wipe. im sick of that shit.

• MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643

I like the idea, but the devs need to make one heck of a puzzle.  Nonetheless, your idea of split simultaneous objectives it very intriguing - good idea, gets my vote.

As for raid size, never more than 10-12.  Too much pugging going on, too much fail.  Best times I've had raiding were all in guild-only 10 mans.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• agthompsonagthompson Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by MrArchy

I like the idea, but the devs need to make one heck of a puzzle.  Nonetheless, your idea of split simultaneous objectives it very intriguing - good idea, gets my vote.

As for raid size, never more than 10-12.  Too much pugging going on, too much fail.  Best times I've had raiding were all in guild-only 10 mans.

Thank you, and I do agree.  I enjoy the 15 man raids... but 10-15, I am game.

Host of the Only Un-Official Star Wars The Old Republic Vodcast - www.youtube.com/user/uswtorv

• MidniteHowlMidniteHowl Member UncommonPosts: 149

I like the OP's idea of having groups having different jobs to accomplish to meet their objective. Sounds like it adds a level of strategy to raids instead of everyone just fighting a boss or two in one area. Nice idea!

Originally posted by MidniteHowl

I like the OP's idea of having groups having different jobs to accomplish to meet their objective. Sounds like it adds a level of strategy to raids instead of everyone just fighting a boss or two in one area. Nice idea!

Thank you!  I am glad you enjoy the idea of... 

Here is another example of an encounter...

You can make fights stratigic without having tank and spank.  Example of a possible battle...

A Sith Lord is the boss... no bigger then any member of the group/raid. However; if you have one member on him the Sith Lord has the mastery  and can take him... give the Sith Lord 3 or more group members, his mastery of deflection kicks in. To properly assult this ememy you must have 2 of your skilled melee team members on him working hard. The rest of the group/raid have to think fast and work on puzzles or tons of incoming antagonist troopers. Working with multiple roles for the same outcome.

No Tank/Spank needed.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

I think keep it as small as possible for two main reasons.

1) Less people to worry about. Less people to go AFK, to not show up, etc., etc.

2) Allows more people to access the raids. Smaller guilds won't have to scrounge up 20+ reliable people if the raids are small.

Small raids with friendly NPC support (when applicable) to keep the feeling of a massive battle. I definitely think NPC combat is something there needs to be more of in MMOs. In your scenario, 15 Sith (I'm guessing) taking an entire space station is a bit of a stretch. But 15 Sith plus a couple hundred Sith initiates (whatever you call them...) is a bit more realistic. At least, if you have that kind of feeling there, I think it makes the raid more fun.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

As long as this game does not follow the Holy Trinity mindset, IE you NEED to have a tank class tank, and NEED a healing class healing the entire time, something like this would work fine.

As soon as you require someone to only heal, or only tank, peoples interest in those jobs drop dramatically compared to LOLSWING MY LIGHT SABER LOL DPSSSS.

The reason so many people hated raids, was not just because some took HOURS over many days, but because relying on people who had the super important job of healing/tanking, since no one else wanted to do them, giving them the best gear for their job, meant when they didn't show, you're fucked.

Originally posted by Comnitus

I think keep it as small as possible for two main reasons.
    1) Less people to worry about. Less people to go AFK, to not show up, etc., etc.
    2) Allows more people to access the raids. Smaller guilds won't have to scrounge up 20+ reliable people if the raids are small.
    Small raids with friendly NPC support (when applicable) to keep the feeling of a massive battle. I definitely think NPC combat is something there needs to be more of in MMOs. In your scenario, 15 Sith (I'm guessing) taking an entire space station is a bit of a stretch. But 15 Sith plus a couple hundred Sith initiates (whatever you call them...) is a bit more realistic. At least, if you have that kind of feeling there, I think it makes the raid more fun.

But remember, we are 15 heroes.  Not 'just' any old Sith... or whatever.  But I do enjoy the idea of the NPC Initiates running in with you, that would make things a bit more heroic as well.  Feel like you are the leader of a giant takeover.

I'll be honest with you I have anyways enjoyed raids... really made my fun in the games, however some of the people you role with are plain silly.  At least with a raid group of 10-15 you can be a lot more tight with the team.

• Database82Database82 Member Posts: 179

I had to pick the last option lol. On a more serious note, while large raids are loads of fun, if you can put them together, they require far too much time and organization to put together. IMHO I also feel large raids take away from the realism, bear with me now, I know what some people are gonna say "It's not real get over it." Don't you think it's a little ridiculous and maybe overkill to see 40 or so force users attacking a single NPC? I think that 10-15 would be better and more easliy managable than a large number of players.

Current MMO: Aion
    MMO Watch: Warhammer 40k Online, SWToR, GW2.
    Played: Planetside, SWG, EQ, EQ2, L2, WoW, RFO, KAL, MxO, Voyage, RO,Vanguard,Tabula Rasa, Horizons, CoH/CoV,, Lotro, FFXI
    First MMO: Everquest (Tunare Server, Ronin/Tide Guild)

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

What I would like to see is soft group open raids ..  Similar to WG in WoW..  Have an objective for the faction to do and anyone can join in.. If you are NOT invited to a "hard" group, you can still partake in the objective as a soft group, meaning you get credit as well.. I truely hate games that tailor towards "hard" group raids that are monopolized by politics of the raiding guilds..

• wesleyl3wesleyl3 Member Posts: 27

yeah I actually like this idea a lot. most definatly, its somthing new and sounds like a interesting challenge.

Originally posted by wesleyl3

yeah I actually like this idea a lot. most definatly, its somthing new and sounds like a interesting challenge.

Thank you... check out the next post I found it while browsing.

Coming up is a raid idea that doesn't involve the holy trinity of tank, heals, dps... I read this and was blown away.  I want this in SW:TOR.

+++ WARNING +++ LONG POST COMING UP... INTERESTING AND FUN TO READ. +++ WARNING +++

ORIGINALLY CREATED BY KUNDA

MUST READ!!!

What this would entail, again in my conceptualization, is a different kind of encounter. For example, imagine we are playing on the Republic faction. Our group consists of six characters, two Jedi, two Troopers, and two Smugglers. This group has been tasked with boarding the Sith vessel "The Corruptor," a large military cruiser which has recently taken Republic prisoners and is commanded by a high ranking officer in the Sith fleet. Knowing that the our group of six cannot hope to cripple the Corruptor in a direct confrontation they've taken a more stealthy approach, feigning to be a crippled freighter and the victim of a recent fire fight the Corruptor salvages the ship for parts. Stored in a large secret compartment in the cargo hold allows our group to survive the initial sweep by Sith forces undetected. Slowly and carefully our party exits this space faring trojan horse and enters the hangar.

Now, here is where the skill system comes into play, and how I think the encounters can start to differentiate. In the KOTOR games there are secondary skills for demolitions, stealth, computer, security, treaty injury, awareness, persuade, and other options. For the sake of this example I'll use computer, security, demolitions, and stealth as available skill choices.

Once in the hangar our group slips by the unalerted sentry droid systematically patrolling the area. Our plan seems to have worked, the Sith haven't yet detected us. Smuggler one, who has put much of his secondary skill points into security, leads the way to the hangar's exit which leads to the body of the Corruptor. After a few moments of slicing the system the door swishes open to reveal an empty corridor. The group quickly enters the corridor as the door swishes closed, thanks to the speed of Smuggler one's slicing the sentry droid didn't spot us.

With no ship layout or map to guide our group we cautiously navigate the corridor. At the first junction in the body of the massive ship Smuggler two parts briefly from the group, activating her stealth field generator which renders her nearly invisible due to the immense training she has had with the device (this would be our "stealth" skill). She examines the left corridor precariously and passes what she believes to be a security room of sorts. She drops out of stealth momentarily to disable two Sith soldiers casually patrolling the corridor, delivering a swift blow to the groin and a headshot to the second, helpless soldier. She alerts her group of her findings and they join her outside the security room.

Trooper two, a fairly green cadet fresh off of Coruscant attempts to open the door using his minimally trained computer skill at the doors terminal. Without ample training in his secondary skill he fails to open the door and the group has to consider different tactics. The group must quickly decide whether to use Trooper one's demolition experience and blast open the door, alerting the Sith aboard of their presence but gaining access to the security room, continuing on and looking for a different way to access their fellow Republic soldiers, or letting one of the Jedi use their lightsaber to slowly open door. Each action of course has a consequence, the Jedi's lightsaber will cut the door down more quietly, but if the security room is manned they will certainly alert the rest of the ship. The demolitions route would allow the group to capture anyone in the security room by surprise but would again alert the Corruptor's crew. The third option may take longer, but our group could avoid potentially dangerous combat.

Being a collection of brave and gung ho soldiers, why else would they have taken the mission, the group decides to blast open the door with a plasma mine. Ducking back into the junction the rest of the group watches as Trooper one arms the plasma mine and the door crumbles with a jarring boom, the explosion reverberating down the steel hallways. After mowing down the lowly techs in the security room the group accesses the ship's layout and quickly makes off towards the cell block. With the Corruptor's crew now weary of the explosion patrols are scouring the ship and searching for the cause of the breach. Our group again is faced with a decision. With two critical objectives the time sensitive mission becomes more arduous with each passing minute. The group decides to split their forces, sending one half to the cell block to free their comrades and the other half to the bridge to confront the Sith officer.

Group one consists of our two Jedi and Smuggler two, hoping to use her skill with stealth to quickly and efficiently reach and decommission the officer. Group two consists of battle hardened Trooper with demolitions expertise, our security wiz Smuggler one, and the computer savvy (sort of) Trooper. Fighting groups of Sith patrols along their prospective paths each group uses their skill sets to their advantage. Group one relishes the tight corridors because they can force the Sith into melee confrontations, the Jedi drawing fire while the smuggler gets the drop on the unsuspecting soldiers from behind. Group two uses an assortment of tricks to slow their pursuers, planting a trail of mines behind them to slow the Sith progress, slicing security doors to slow the advance and causing system overloads through various computer terminals.

Group two reaches the cell block first and an intense firefight breaks out. The smuggler rolls into cover behind the nearest desk, firing well placed headshots at any prison guard not cautious enough to duck. The troopers take the opposite approach, using their heavy blasters to spray a swarm of laser blasts at the guards. The brief skirmish ends quickly with Trooper one taking a few direct hits to his limbs. The Smuggler quickly sets to work freeing the Republic prisoners while Trooper two covers the door and Trooper one uses medpacs and stims to dress and heal his wounds. With the prisoners free (now companions?) and armed with weapons from the fallen Sith guards they move to rejoin Group one.

Group one's progress has been considerably slower. Weary of an attack on his own life the Sith officer has sealed off the bridge and deployed his troops to assault the oncoming Jedi. Smuggler two's stealth field generator was damaged by a stray blaster shot during the assault and she is now firing precision shots from behind her Jedi companions, adopting their lightsaber defenses as a cover in itself. A bloody path of destruction leads Group two towards the bridge where Group one is locked in a frantic struggle. Unbeknownst to our group the Sith officer had rendered the services of a few exceptional Bounty Hunters to act as his personal guard. The trio of heavily armored sharp shooters works in conjunction with the Corruptor's crew to fight Group one to a stalemate at the entrance to the bridge. Facing the intense bursts from the bounty hunters' flame throwers the Jedi and smuggler have no choice but to slowly give ground, rolling underneath or away from the flames and deflecting and dodging blaster shots from the crew.

After being pushed back several yards from the bridge entrance Group two and the rescued Republic soldiers finally meet up with their comrades and a hail of blaster fire and force powers rain down on the Sith forces. The Republic forces slowly out perform the larger Sith contingent and make their way onto the bridge, but not without losses. Trooper one was incapacitated by a well placed wrist rocket from the trio of bounty hunters and smuggler two, with no cover to take duck behind in the narrow hallway took a blaster shot to the leg. These two members tend to their wounds as the rest of the group confronts the officer and his hired protection. The group if faced with the decision of killing or capturing the Sith officer and - being the upstanding defenders of the light they are - knock the man unconscious and take him to the nearest hangar. The bounty hunters were not granted the same fate, angry for the injuries to their groupmates the Trooper two and smuggler incapacitate the trio - permanently.

Trooper one places a few timed charges on the bridge and the group makes a hurried exit from the Corruptor in a stolen Sith transport. Marveling at the destruction as the hull is torn asunder the group initiates the hyperdrive and speeds back to Republic space.

So, as you can see, I tried to show a few things here. With a skill system, roles can be diverse. Instead of simply healing through encounters give multiple options for passing checkpoints. Blow up obstacles with demolitions, slice through them with security skills, or bypass them with some computer hacking. Even take out guards with more stealthy maneuvers. If Bioware does accomplish the choreographed feel of combat, where blocks or parries are the norm, and you dodge blaster fire rather than absorb it, healing could become a self employed skill used in a lull in combat in an encounter. What the skill system doesn't require is a specific skill to complete and objective. You could simply blow everything up with demolitions if you chose, but there are consequences for every action. This should alleviate the "looking for class XYZ... must be heal specced" issue.

Also, with phased or multiple objectives, everyone in your group can maintain importance and accomplish critical feats. Separating your group may also be a choice available. In summation, what I personally hope for is a deviation from the current raid design. I think raids can still be engaging and fun without a monstrous boss that takes twenty people to kill as the climatic event. I welcome any and all comments or discussions regarding this example.

/Discuss

• Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

I agree, No spank and tank.

That said there is still potential of having large group encounters(i.e. 40+) maybe not in the traditional means but if bioware used the open battlefield content of WAR, or somthing similar. My favourite raids are 6-12 man groups but i also hope they dont leave out the odd 40 man raid to satisfy everyone.

hope raiding and pvp go together nicely aswell :)

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

/agree

EDIT: I should add, no raids in the traditional sense... 40 folks going to kick booty is fine... let stay clear of the tank-dps-heal model...

• andredocandredoc Member UncommonPosts: 119

the more women the better