Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

thinking of coming back

mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

Is it worth it. I last played aug, 2008. Really liked the game but hated how it was bugged, broken, and imbalanced. Was thinking of coming back now that they have sometime under their belt.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

Comments

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by mrputts

Is it worth it. I last played aug, 2008. Really liked the game but hated how it was bugged, broken, and imbalanced. Was thinking of coming back now that they have sometime under their belt.

Give the trial a go, big patch tomorrow, expect a long time updating the client. Check it out, you should see from scratch some changes even in Tortage right through. Lots of changes for high level content and 1.06 patch will focus even more in this area which should give confidence if you start of from scratch in knowing stuff is being put in more so for when you get there.

Later on this summer we should see maybe welcome back weekends and welcome back offers.

Starting off fresh would be a good idea and the patch going in tomorrow changes a lot of stuff.

Bugged? yes in some places, for me just as much now as any other mmo I have played. Imbalanced? well there are 10 months on for you of fixes and things; are ever going to be balanced perfect? I don't think so but there is some great improvements there.

Now is as good as time as any to give it a go.

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

Is it worth it? YES

At launch this game sucked, but they have straighned alot out and its very enjoyable. Im in a great guild and there are alot of ppl to do quests with. patch tomorrow with new stuff and changes. :)

If you decide to come back! WB!

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

cool well i played on a pvp server Deathwhisper i think it was called. And I have followed the forums for a while. Is it still a pvp rape fest like i heard about when the pvp ranks went live?

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

ive been tempted to come back and give it a go as well. just been undecided, i have alot of mmo accounts that ive been getting that "itch" to play an mmo for again lol, im tryin to stick it out to try Aion and Champions, but i do miss AoC amongst my others. i never did get outta tortage though, did <3 my herald

does sound like AoC has grown better since launch by far though, so im sure ull enjoy giving it another go

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
    RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
    Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age

Originally posted by mrputts

cool well i played on a pvp server Deathwhisper i think it was called. And I have followed the forums for a while. Is it still a pvp rape fest like i heard about when the pvp ranks went live?

So Deathwhisper got merged to Tyranny.

Tyranny (PvP)

* Scourge

* Bluesteel

* Stormrage

* Deathwhisper

* Doomsayer

* Shadowblade

So there are now nearly 30k characters made on that server:  aoc.yg.com/profiles

In the last 30 days here is a list of the top ranked PvP'rs for perusal (nearly 10k ppl) : aoc.yg.com/profiles

A list of the top guilds from 1700 on the server: aoc.yg.com/guilds

Here is census of the popular class types on the sever: aoc.yg.com/census

As for it being a 'rape fest' I couldn't tell you but I am guessing it happens :)

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

As someone who returned to AoC in the last couple of months (after getting a new computer that could actually run the game) I'd have to it is considerably better.

Some of the worst bugs are now gone.  There are still a couple of buggy quests here and there, but the majority of bugs that plagued the game at release are gone.

There is a lot of new content, including two new zones (Ymir's Pass and Tarantia Commons in todays patch).  I think I read somewhere that 5 or 6 new dungeons had been added since release.  With the commons in the game from today it will now be possible to quest from 1-80 with no grinding of levels (I ran out of quests a few days ago on my ToS at level 75).

PvP servers though are tough.  If you can handle the constant ganking by groups of players and higher level murders then they are ok, otherwise look at a PvE server.  Two start zones (White Sands and Tortage Underhalls) are virtually unplayable on PvP servers due to higher level players killing everyone for cheap PvP XP.  Also Kesh is pretty tough as well with gang of players camping the entrance and the city, although some of that may now move on to the common in Tarantia I think. If you are after active FFA PvP though, then this might suit you.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game since I returned about 2 months ago and even if I don't stick with it in the end, it has been a fun couple of months.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

In the interest of keeping your frustration and time-wasting to a minimum do this: Wait til you hear that the big 1.5 patch has actually been deployed. Then wait 1 to 2 weeks to see how smoothly the patch went and the stability of the game is. Then try a free trial and play as much as you can to get out of Tortage as fast as you can so you can see how the actual game is.

Starting a free trial during or right after a big patch (especially with FC) you run a real risk of losing play time to down time.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

The game stopping bugs that plagued AoC in the early days are gone. There is no grinding at all during leveling anymore. I would recomend that you give the free trial a try and see if the game is for you. I definitely have enjoyed coming back.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

PvP servers though are tough.  If you can handle the constant ganking by groups of players and higher level murders then they are ok, otherwise look at a PvE server.  Two start zones (White Sands and Tortage Underhalls) are virtually unplayable on PvP servers due to higher level players killing everyone for cheap PvP XP.  Also Kesh is pretty tough as well with gang of players camping the entrance and the city, although some of that may now move on to the common in Tarantia I think. If you are after active FFA PvP though, then this might suit you.
    Overall, I'm enjoying the game since I returned about 2 months ago and even if I don't stick with it in the end, it has been a fun couple of months.

Are the PvP servers 'unplayable' though -- as in what you descibed is the effectively the only Pvp?    I mean is it like this 90-100% of the time, or is it more like 25-50% of the Pvp enounters are like this - but if that doesnt bother you, you might enjoy it?

~Thanks

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

well I have no problem with pvp at all. Just when I took time off of playing and pvp leveling went live i read and heard stories of people not being able to play because they would get killed and spawn camped for a while. Just looking to see if it will be like that. I don't mind getting ganked every now and again but if it is going to prevent me from leveling or playing for that matter then...

I enjoy pvp cause it adds a level of danger, and you have to keep your head on a swivel. And thats fun. But i don'r like being completely stopped because I am being camped for an hour.

I know of just switching instances or spawning elsewhere, but that can still put a hault to progression.

• NightbladeX1NightbladeX1 Member Posts: 201

I resubbed to this game two times, and regretted it before the first hour was up... Now 1.5 has me considering a third time.

Woo boy, Im stupid. Do as much research as you can, maybe finding a guild would help.

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

The PVP servers are a joke now. Before PVP points were implemented PVP was generally meaningful, with guilds fighting over politics or towns, zones,  leveling spots etc... PVP on a smaller scale was also quite personal (well, as much as can be without a meaningful dp).

Nowadays it's all about killing as many people as you can to get your PVP points up. Most people simply stand around spawn points killing anyone who isn't in their group as it's one of the most efficient ways of getting these points. And as they still haven't added any risk or death penalty consequences for your actions don't exist, and dying simply means clicking respawn and trying again.

So yeah, funcom have managed to turn FFA PVP into a grindfest... a feat that's actually impressive, in a sad sad way.

• NightbladeX1NightbladeX1 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by osc8r

The PVP servers are a joke now. Before PVP points were implemented PVP was generally meaningful, with guilds fighting over politics or towns, zones,  leveling spots etc... PVP on a smaller scale was also quite personal (well, as much as can be without a meaningful dp).
    Nowadays it's all about killing as many people as you can to get your PVP points up. Most people simply stand around spawn points killing anyone who isn't in their group as it's one of the most efficient ways of getting these points. And as they still haven't added any risk or death penalty consequences for your actions don't exist, and dying simply means clicking respawn and trying again.
    So yeah, funcom have managed to turn FFA PVP into a grindfest... a feat that's actually impressive, in a sad sad way.

I dont mean to thread hijack, but thank you. I had almost forgotten how awful the pvp points system was.

• AznmaskAznmask Member Posts: 178

I'm doing the update right now.. and i wonder if i should resub for my third time. First time i was resub because of lack of ppl and i took 1 month break from Oct. Second resub i was using a 60day gametime card from March to May and i was regretted. I rarely log on the game because it have nothing to do.

I Agree with osc8r  that PVP point is a joke, especially in PVP server. I have more fun when the pvp point wasn't implement into the game.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I want to come back and try AOC again but everytime I do it feel like I am playing a single player game. Can anyone recommend a good server to play on ?

• clearSamclearSam Member Posts: 304
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

I want to come back and try AOC again but everytime I do it feel like I am playing a single player game. Can anyone recommend a good server to play on ?

i recomend SET for PvE or Tyrany for PvP

on SET for example, you should be able to find aparty to do group quests in global pretty much at any time, unless your toon ahas bad breath issues or something... ;)

Originally posted by clearSam

on SET for example, you should be able to find aparty to do group quests in global pretty much at any time, unless your toon ahas bad breath issues or something... ;)

Ok thanks. Think I'll give Hyborea another go.

Originally posted by clearSam

Ok thanks. Think I'll give Hyborea another go.

Wicanna and Cimmeria are pretty good too.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

im gonna do a trial before i head over to bestbuy to pick up a 60 day card :). to see how the 1.05 has changed things. anyone wanna give me a run thru on how things are and what i should expect? thanx for the good coverage avery.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

Thanks for the help! I rolled on Set (Bear Shaman lvl 12) and it seems more lively than ironspine which I was on before. If anyone whow is on Set wants to group up just holler (Tombear) . Hopefully this time around it will be better.