Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you have to jump so close to jump gates?

2»

Comments

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

... see post below

Originally posted by Enkindu

Originally posted by PatchDay

Oh and whatever you do DONT FIT warp core stabs. We nailed an interceptor last night that had core stabs fitted. It was a comedy kill!!!! Nanofiber is your best friend for instawarp

Disagree.

Stabs have prolly saved me a couple billion over the years.  Won't help you in a bubble or if you got a big camp with lots of quickdraw points, but 90% of the trouble you see on 0.0 gates is in the form of small camps or gangs.. and in these cases stabs will save your ass.

hey can you clarify which ships you fit them on? You dont put them on covops right?

Originally posted by mklinic

Aren't there mechanics to circumvent gates assuming the right skills are trained. For example, the item "Covert Jump Portal Generator I" has the following description:
    "A piece of machinery designed to allow a black ops vessel to create a bridge between systems without the use of a stargate, allowing its companions access through vast tracts of space to join it on the battlefield."
    That sounds pretty close to what you are asking for. I imagine it's not as cut and dry as the description indicates, but I don't  really have experience to speak from on that.

in all my times playing this game I've never seen a Black ops. They are like the mythical elusive unicorn.

I think most people use jump friegther, carrier, dreads, etc to get around gates. There are ships that have true jump drives. I believe the black ops to be special ofc since the guy lighting the cyno doesn't set off an alarm for the whole world to see!

Seriously? The black ops are great ships.

The covert portal generator can bridge to standard or covert cynos up to 4.5 LY away.  Transports, recons, stealth bombers, and covert ops are the only classes that can use the bridge.

The sin is a truly awesome ship for ninja exploration in hostile territory.

I also invent/ build them and they sell well even at 700 mil each.

As far as gate mechanics, I'm no gate camper but the game mechanics are fine the way they are.  Eve is SUPPOSED to be hard.

Maybe they are good but I just never seen anyone use them. We just use Titans and DD. It's great fun DD'ing the enemy fleet then going in and killing the remainder of the fleet.

Hey thats cool you can build those ships. Where you get the BPO/BPC? I've been thinking bout t2 production so I can get my local hub seeded with more guns and stuff...

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

Oh and whatever you do DONT FIT warp core stabs. We nailed an interceptor last night that had core stabs fitted. It was a comedy kill!!!! Nanofiber is your best friend for instawarp

Disagree.

Stabs have prolly saved me a couple billion over the years.  Won't help you in a bubble or if you got a big camp with lots of quickdraw points, but 90% of the trouble you see on 0.0 gates is in the form of small camps or gangs.. and in these cases stabs will save your ass.

hey can you clarify which ships you fit them on? You dont put them on covops right?

I put them on every ship I fly solo thru 0.0, cov ops included.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

Maybe they are good but I just never seen anyone use them. We just use Titans and DD. It's great fun DD'ing the enemy fleet then going in and killing the remainder of the fleet.

Hey thats cool you can build those ships. Where you get the BPO/BPC? I've been thinking bout t2 production so I can get my local hub seeded with more guns and stuff...

It's cool, you are doing big alliance stuff (which I quit a while back). 

Blackops are great for small independent types that like to go anywhere they please (like us).

The BPCs come from invention (tier I battleships).

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

Disagree.

I put then on every ship I fly solo thru 0.0, cov ops included.

Wow all of them huh.... Don't know how to reply to that

Myself I've never died at a gate camp tho and I cant recall killing anyone recently that had nano fits. But we did get killmails last night for warp core. Anyway its all good yo

It's cool, you are doing big alliance stuff (which I quit a while back). 

Blackops are great for small independent types that like to go anywhere they please (like us).

The BPCs come from invention (tier I battleships).

Interesting this explains why I havent seen a Blackops thank you very much for explaining this

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

LOL - does anyone here speak the language that a newb can undestand...lol...you people have language all your own for this game.    Use to be like that for us old school PS players and now I find myself in a newbs position wondering WTF are they talking about...lol  

I'll figure it our sooner of later...but until then.  

sup Teala read your blogs; nice stuff

Hope you enjoy the game. Yeah I had the same issue when I first started. EVE players we do have our own scifi language

• RevthoughtRevthought Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by heremypet

That is really retarded.  You are virtually forced to go through potential traps, or at least waste time sending scout ships through them, which will likely also get destroyed.  What kind of crap is that?  It's freaking space isn't it?  How do you wind up with choke points in space?? Why can't I enter the system from another angle? (Without going through a different jumpgate)  Sounds like EvE was made to be the camping griefers paradise.  Bleh!

Stop trying to make sense of it in terms of how "real space" would be. Though there is a storyline reason why jump gates exist and why they work as they do--if you want to know it search the fiction on the main eve website.

A more important point I'd like to make is that many people who play eve are uncomfortable with your desire to make it "safe" for those who don't want to pvp. The game is a pvp game--a pvp game whose bread and butter is non-consentual pvp. It has been this way since the game launched in 2003.

If this is really uncomfortable for you, there are a number of things you can do to reduce your risk. Scouting is one, staying in high-sec is another, and staying out of player corps is yet another. Alternatively, if these things seem to burdensome for you, you might want to rethink your subscription--eve might not be the game for you.

Cheers

When I was a nub I used to complain about jumpgates too. Didnt realize how easy it is to reduce your risks. As a noob, you think jumping through a jumpgate equals certain doom and it doesnt make it easier when you google around for tuts and everyone says "you will die at gate camp nothing you can do!!!!"

There is so much you can do to survive. so dont tell him to leave if that his only gripe. I got like 100+++ gripes bout this game but I'm not leaving I love htis game. seriously I can list so many gripes bout this game but I havent really left in all this time. EVE account management lists ive paid for so mnay months its unreal how they just fly by

• SirrushSirrush Member Posts: 15

I'll just assume not a single one of you has read the correct Scientific Article. I'm not going to explain it, but the article tells you why you jump from gate to gate. Fiction or not, it explains it.

And before anyone says it, jump drives work differently, don't go there.

• heremypetheremypet Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by Revthought

Originally posted by heremypet

That is really retarded.  You are virtually forced to go through potential traps, or at least waste time sending scout ships through them, which will likely also get destroyed.  What kind of crap is that?  It's freaking space isn't it?  How do you wind up with choke points in space?? Why can't I enter the system from another angle? (Without going through a different jumpgate)  Sounds like EvE was made to be the camping griefers paradise.  Bleh!

Stop trying to make sense of it in terms of how "real space" would be. Though there is a storyline reason why jump gates exist and why they work as they do--if you want to know it search the fiction on the main eve website.

A more important point I'd like to make is that many people who play eve are uncomfortable with your desire to make it "safe" for those who don't want to pvp. The game is a pvp game--a pvp game whose bread and butter is non-consentual pvp. It has been this way since the game launched in 2003.

If this is really uncomfortable for you, there are a number of things you can do to reduce your risk. Scouting is one, staying in high-sec is another, and staying out of player corps is yet another. Alternatively, if these things seem to burdensome for you, you might want to rethink your subscription--eve might not be the game for you.

Cheers

Fair enough, but I was under the impression that non-consentual PvP occured mostly within the system iteself, by means of scanning and catching your target, and was a little upset to see that (at least from my perspective) it usually takes place at the gates.

I realize I'm relatively a noob and don't know all of the tricks to jumping safely, but still I've always had a problem with PvP games where people stand on the "line" between the pvp enabled area and the safe area, and when most of the PvP activity seems to happens at this line, while the rest of the area just rots.  I'm no EVE expert but that is how it appears to me.

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by Sirrush

I'll just assume not a single one of you has read the correct Scientific Article. I'm not going to explain it, but the article tells you why you jump from gate to gate. Fiction or not, it explains it.

And before anyone says it, jump drives work differently, don't go there.

LOL

It still boils down to my answer:

Because CCP wants it that way :)

But, yes, I have read the article.  I just can't be arsed to go dig it up.  If he wants to read the actual lore driven answer he can go read the lore on the official site.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

Yeah I know exactly what you mean heremypets. for instance in WoW when you used to land off the griffon you would be open to attack. So to fix Blizzard made it so you gavce no honor for this kill

In EVE, the equivalent is that once you jump through a gate you have a magic invisibility for 30 seconds? This gives you time to assess the situation after you jump through.

If you are in a frigate or shuttle- chances are you will always get through a gate camp that has no bubble on other side.

Hostiles / Alliances are hesitant to put a bubble infront of gates because this also traps friendlies as well as enemies. So it can be suicide for hostiles to put a bubble there because if they are overwhlemed they cannot get their pods out

CCP sort of brilliantly dealt a master stroke with gate mechanics.

I am always trying to get my corp to let me bubble up our gates but they hesitate because I might be indirectly endangering friendlies if we lose the camp. A friendly might jump in while we are fighting hostiles and be trapped in the bubble til they get out.

There are many other factors to help you escape. If you jump into a bubble do not aggress the hostiles. This way you dont incur aggression timer. The gate should only be 12km away. Burn back to that gate and get out. Please pack a Microwarp drive! MWD saves lives if you can fit it.

I've heard others suggest if you in Battleship try logging out before being aggressed. CCP/EVE will log you out eventually. I dont do this mind you. I just stay and fight. But hey if you are a pve'er do what you must I guess

Warp core stabs is something you can try. But they have no effect if enemy camp has a Hictor/Dictor/Mobile bubbles. And we always bring those. but they may not be present

Other tacitcs is use Nano for instawarp on frigate sized vessels.

Other things that help is its so hard to lock a frig before they warpout. Especially pods

If you lose ship or about too dont panic. Your goal is to get outside the bubble and get aligned to destination. If ship pops your pod willb e aligned and you can instawarp away giving the bad guys blueballs

so many tactics. im always camping gates in 0.0 with my buds and I see scrubs get away alot

ummm my post above was for 0.0 tactics as always. For lowsec rules are different. you much safer there because of that long aggression timer and sentry guns. People sometimes dont realize how safe lowsec is. most of time a lot of corps just looking for war targets. Neutrals still shouold watchout for ships that can tank gate guns

But no worries bout bubbles, hic's and dic's in low sec. 0.4 -> 0.1 is lowsec.

I was pvping in lowsec other day and incurred a 15 min aggression timer. kinda sucked was trapped in system full of bout 50 reds. yeah, dont care much for lowsec but watchout for true pirates that will pod ya and tank gate guns